HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN: Brampton Battalion relocation proves Toronto isn't a hockey town

Old
11-10-2012, 01:26 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Every level under the NHL struggles in that city..... guess we are going to ignore that?

I've said that Toronto is the #1 pro hockey city in the world.... hard to argue that. But when you take into consideration all hockey where admission is required, all other levels fall vastly short of the Maple Leafs.

Yes Toronto loves it's hockey....... as long as the words "Maple Leafs" are on the jersey.
When the Toronto Marlies were in the AHL Playoffs last season and went all the way to the Calder Cup Finals they played under sold out crowds. So the fans showed up when it was most important.

While you are correct that the Maple Leafs are always going to be #1 in the city of Toronto, when other teams are winning the fans will show up and support them. Besides another thing you are forgetting is that the Richo Coliseum and other arenas for the OHL have less seats available compared to a Maple Leafs game, so right away there won't be as many people who attend them.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Toronto #1 pro hockey city in the world.

As for any levels below that, well............... Toronto #1 pro hockey city in the world.
If the GTA wasn't much of a hockey town below the major league level, how on earth did they produce Tavares, Stamkos, Spezza, Subban, Seguin, Nash, Pietrangelo amongst other young NHL superstars in recent years?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Lilou
t-.-t

I can think of better things to do then watch an OHL game. My interest is with the leafs and Marlies, I don't give a rats ass about any other club. That doesn't make me any less of a hockey fan. I've played in an organized league for years but because I don't trek to an ohl arena it makes me less of a fan? Hockey snobs are the worst.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:25 PM
nutbar

It isn't really an OHL area. I remember Newmarket had a team for only a couple of years in the mid-90's. That was the old Royals franchise, which moved from Cornwall. I can't believe that Cornwall has gone like 20 years without a team.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
Not only is Toronto not a good hockeytown, Its not a good sports town period.
From 1989 to 1994, The Blue Jays averaged over 4 million fans a season for all of their home games while the Yankees didn't even reach that mark until their 2005 season.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/toroatte.shtml

So I guess New York isn't a good sports town either if the Toronto Blue Jays were breaking consecutive season attendance records well before the self-proclaimed "mecca of baseball" even came close to matching theirs?

Also, wasn't the Yankees overall attendance down this season?? Hmmmmm...

And up until last year, The Raptors have always maintained a top 15 attendance since their inaugural season in 1995. Not great..but far from the bad sports town like you think it is.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:41 PM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
From 1989 to 1994, The Blue Jays averaged over 4 million fans a season for all of their home games while the Yankees didn't even reach that mark until their 2005 season.

So I guess New York isn't a good sports town either if the Toronto Blue Jays were breaking consecutive season attendance records well before the self-proclaimed "mecca of baseball" even came close to matching theirs?

And up until last year, The Raptors have maintained a top 15 attendance since their inaugural season in 1995. Not great..but far from the bad sports town like you think it is.
Why stop there. In the early 70's the Argos would get 40 thousand for intersquad scrimmages. The point is that the past is the past and now is now. And now Toronto is not a good sports town.

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:43 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Why stop there. In the early 70's the Argos would get 40 thousand for intersquad scrimmages. The point is that the past is the past and now is now. And now Toronto is not a good sports town.
How many other cities can support teams in 3 of the 4 major leagues?

Not a good sports town lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If the GTA wasn't much of a hockey town below the major league level, how on earth did they produce Tavares, Stamkos, Spezza, Subban, Seguin, Nash, Pietrangelo amongst other young NHL superstars in recent years?
You mention minor league hockey as if anyone in this thread would know what it is

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:39 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
And that's not even all of them. Considering last years 96 Marlies it may just add to the list.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:38 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Given the state if all the teams right now, I think the support is very good in Toronto.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

Also, wasn't the Yankees overall attendance down this season?? Hmmmmm...

And up until last year, The Raptors have always maintained a top 15 attendance since their inaugural season in 1995. Not great..but far from the bad sports town like you think it is.
Quote:
So the demographics changed. Big deal. Maybe people just aren't interested or the Argos need to market better. Or do you base being a good sports on just the CFL, which is ridiculous. Time for Toronto CFL fans to stop whining and recruit fans rather hen denigrate things that have more $$$$. You must be a hispter from NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
How many other cities can support teams in 3 of the 4 major leagues?

Not a good sports town lol

You mention minor league hockey as if anyone in this thread would know what it is
Boston
Philadelphia
Chicago
New York
Denver
San Francisco - San Jose.

It's about more then support. Toronto is average. It's not great, it's also not nearly as bad as llb is saying.

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 11-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Isn't the waiting list for season tickets with the leafs 30 years, or something completely ridiculous ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
I can think of better things to do then watch an OHL game. My interest is with the leafs and Marlies, I don't give a rats ass about any other club. That doesn't make me any less of a hockey fan. I've played in an organized league for years but because I don't trek to an ohl arena it makes me less of a fan? Hockey snobs are the worst.
It's funny how you say that without a hint of irony...

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:06 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Isn't the waiting list for season tickets with the leafs 30 years, or something completely ridiculous ?
Yup. But it's not a hockey town! Let's use the far away suburb of Brampton instead to judge the city.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:08 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
So the demographics changed. Big deal. Maybe people just aren't interested or the Argos need to market better. Or do you base being a good sports on just the CFL, which is ridiculous. Time for Toronto CFL fans to stop whining and recruit fans rather hen denigrate things that have more $$$$. You must be a hispter from NYC.

Boston
Philadelphia
Chicago
New York
Denver
San Francisco - San Jose.

It's about more then support. Toronto is average. It's not great, it's also not nearly as bad as llb is saying.
The thing is, if those cities teams had the success of Toronto's teams right now, would the crowds be and as big and as enthusiastic?

Try to find a city anywhere with as many bad teams as Toronto has right now. They are #1 in that regards. Given that, I think the city's support is pretty good.
The worst city easily is Atlanta imo. They've had crappy support in every major sport even with winning teams.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 11-11-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The thing is, if those cities teams had the success of Toronto's teams right now, would the crowds be and as big and as enthusiastic?

Try to find a city anywhere with as many bad teams as Toronto has right now. They are #1 in that regards. Given that, I think the city's support is pretty good.
The worst city easily is Atlanta imo. They've had crappy support in every major sport even with winning teams.
Yes. Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago have all sold out baseball teams that were terrible. Toronto Raptors have good attendance, that's a given .

Atlanta is awful, so is Miami, that's the south. They don't support anything for whatever crappy excuse, college, other things to do, (Like NYC and Chicago don't?)

Old
11-11-2012, 10:25 AM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
If anything, I'd modify the title to say that "GTA isn't a hockey area" or something similar.

Brampton isn't Toronto, and the GTA is a pretty wide ranging area as colchar has been stating.

With that said, I think that Toronto is more of an NHL city. We've had trouble putting people in the seats at Ricoh (though the Marlies have been pretty poor up until recently). It looks like the undying loyalty for hockey does not extend past the Leafs.
I didn't read all the thread, but is exactly what happens in Montreal too. It's kinda funny that fans of both citys argue against each other to see whats the number one hockey city in the world when both can't sustain their junior team.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:30 AM
RogerRoeper*

This is just another cheap article to rip into Toronto so they can get more hits.

Honestly, people think the Toronto media are still homers for the Leafs? All they do is rip into them the city and team. (And yes, the team does deserve it, but if they were Leaf homers they'd defend them more.)

You're calling a city that has the most impressive attendance and loyal following in NHL history, and maybe sports history, not a hockey city and using suburban failures as "Proof" it's not a hockey city. Laughable, embarrasing argument.

The last THN article I read said Toronto desperately needed to buy-out players for cap space. They have the best cap situation going into net summer.

Bash Toronto=get more attention.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
This is just another cheap article to rip into Toronto so they can get more hits.

Honestly, people think the Toronto media are still homers for the Leafs? All they do is rip into them the city and team. (And yes, the team does deserve it, but if they were Leaf homers they'd defend them more.)

You're calling a city that has the most impressive attendance and loyal following in NHL history, and maybe sports history, not a hockey city and using suburban failures as "Proof" it's not a hockey city. Laughable, embarrasing argument.

The last THN article I read said Toronto desperately needed to buy-out players for cap space. They have the best cap situation going into net summer.

Of course it is. Toronto is the most hated city in North America right behind Detroit.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:

A few days ago I believe it was Sportsnet who did a feature on the last time a Toronto based sports teams won a Playoff game in the city. Anyway they mentioned the dates the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays, Raptors and Argonauts last won home Playoff dates and this thought came to me. Do they not remember only a couple of months ago the Toronto Marlies making it all the way to the AHL Calder Cup Finals or the Toronto Rock last winning the NLL Championship in 2011 at the Air Canada Centre, which was never mentioned. Now maybe the AHL and NLL don't count in their opinion as the main sports in the city but those were still Playoff wins in the city of Toronto and were not even mentioned.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Of course it is. Toronto is the most hated city in North America right behind Detroit.
Is it?

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Is it?
People are always taking shots at Toronto. I don't know why?

Old
11-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
At least when you guys get repeatedly baselessly bashed it serves some sort of marketing purpose for the bashers.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Jaqen

Quote:
People are always taking shots at Toronto. I don't know why?
Maybe in Canada, I don't think we have a bad reputation in the United States, if we have one at all.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:21 PM
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

Quote:
haha....Are you serious,most people in the US don't even know where Toronto is or could give 2 ***** about the city.

In Canada I agree.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
All that does is go in hand with people who are saying its a leafs town not a sports town

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote