HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

N. Kadri discussion thread v12

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Rob11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
I'd rather him be on the 3rd line, I know his defensive play is overrated, but i think he can still become a pretty good 2-way player.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - Brown

^ this line-up seems good to me, not amazing, but decent.... 3rd line has scoring potential but all good to great defensively. Also, I feel like if Kadri doesn't turn out to be a top 6 player he could be a Marchand-like player.... Very good agitator and exceptional at drawing penalties.
How come people are slotting kadri in on right wing a lot? He shoots left.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
I'd rather him be on the 3rd line, I know his defensive play is overrated, but i think he can still become a pretty good 2-way player.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri

^ this line-up seems good to me, not amazing, but decent.... 3rd line has scoring potential but all good to great defensively. Also, I feel like if Kadri doesn't turn out to be a top 6 player he could be a Marchand-like player.... Very good agitator and exceptional at drawing penalties.

i have been suggesting that 2nd line for a while now, it could be deadly, grabo and JVR can help out kadri on d side

Old
11-10-2012, 11:06 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob11 View Post
How come people are slotting kadri in on right wing a lot? He shoots left.
kadri can play all 3 forward positions

Old
11-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
i have been suggesting that 2nd line for a while now, it could be deadly, grabo and JVR can help out kadri on d side
I was hoping for a Kuli-Grabo-Kadri line for a while, but after acquiring JVR it seems like that is a lot more likely. (I'm a big Kuli fan and think he can pot 25ish goals again next season with 2nd line minutes, but he's a very good defensive player and Carlyle seems to like his shutdown lines... Defense seems like a bigger need for us anyways I guess)

Old
11-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kadri

I think it would be nice to have this line-up sometime this season (if there is one). Trade Macarthur and Connolly as rentals near the trade deadline for prospects and call-up Kadri and Frattin. Just make room for some of our young guys while adding more prospect depth.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
I think it would be nice to have this line-up sometime this season (if there is one). Trade Macarthur and Connolly as rentals near the trade deadline for prospects and call-up Kadri and Frattin. Just make room for some of our young guys while adding more prospect depth.
Agreed, this draft also seems like a deep draft with lots of potential (I guess they always do), I'd also like to acquire a 1st or 2 if possible.... First round seems loaded with talent

Old
11-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Gavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Some players just fit better in the NHL. I remember Bozak played poorly in the AHL before his first call up, then arguably played the best hockey of his pro career in his rookie year with the Leafs. Gardiner also mentioned this in a couple of interviews, saying that the weaker passing and tempo in the AHL can mess with a player sometimes. I think this is the case with Kadri, he seems to benefit from the skill level of the NHL. He played some really good games with the Leafs, I just think his leash was far too short with Hitler......I mean Wilson.
This is the best post in this thread.
Everything you said was dead on.
I lol'd at the Hitler/Wilson comment

Old
11-11-2012, 01:50 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

you're gonna tell me that Kadri shut his critics up tonight, and i'm gonna say no. we expect him to play to his potential ALL the time.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:46 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Leafs management has no clue how to develop kids. Its frightening. Look at Schenn and Kadri. Schenn needed another WHL season. He is gone now. Kadri was sent back to the AHL after that performance in Ottawa with 2 goals and 1 assist. Post Game all Wilson talked about was Kadri's "junior habits". Kadri is picked apart unlike Kulemin and Bozak, Reimer etc. 1 season in the AHL was enough. He passed his tests.
Wilson alone has been the single worst developmental hangup for Kadri. If he isnt shipped off I assure you he will start next year no matter what. I can only imagine Carlyle asking himself why this kids not in the NHL yet, and the only reason he went back was rules and regulations last season.

How many REAL stars have the leafs developed in the past 30 years from scratch? Hint if its less than 5 the organization is a complete failure. Players who were shipped off and found their game elsewhere are not included.

I cant even think of one.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:21 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

To be honest, I'm just curious to see how Kadri is handled by Carlyle. Carlyle is a fan of Kadri and even told him he'd keep him up in the NHL had there not been that dumb rule of call-up numbers. I've seen Kadri score at a good pace in the AHL(playoffs Included). Now I want to see what he is capable of in the NHL, he was on pace for nearly 20 goals last year with the Leafs. His assists were down, but I doubt anyone would be worried that a playmaker can't make those up in the long run.

Highly skilled, very fast, draws penalties and does not shy away from physicality...might be worth keepin him around imo.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:28 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Some players just fit better in the NHL. I remember Bozak played poorly in the AHL before his first call up, then arguably played the best hockey of his pro career in his rookie year with the Leafs. Gardiner also mentioned this in a couple of interviews, saying that the weaker passing and tempo in the AHL can mess with a player sometimes. I think this is the case with Kadri, he seems to benefit from the skill level of the NHL. He played some really good games with the Leafs, I just think his leash was far too short with Hitler......I mean Wilson.
You might also be able to add Colborne to that list as well one day. He had 5 points in 10 games as a leaf last year, and 6 points in 11 games at the NHL level. He also set up that beauty pass to Frattin for Frattin's first ever NHL goal. I can really see the combination of Colborne and Frattin succeeding if they can get some real team together in the NHL.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:29 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
To be honest, I'm just curious to see how Kadri is handled by Carlyle. Carlyle is a fan of Kadri and even told him he'd keep him up in the NHL had there not been that dumb rule of call-up numbers. I've seen Kadri score at a good pace in the AHL(playoffs Included). Now I want to see what he is capable of in the NHL, he was on pace for nearly 20 goals last year with the Leafs. His assists were down, but I doubt anyone would be worried that a playmaker can't make those up in the long run.

Highly skilled, very fast, draws penalties and does not shy away from physicality...might be worth keepin him around imo.
Wilson appeared to not like him for whatever reason, it didnt seem to be professional reasons either. I never could stand that man, his coaching left me borderline screaming at the tv night in and out.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:32 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
You might also be able to add Colborne to that list as well one day. He had 5 points in 10 games as a leaf last year, and 6 points in 11 games at the NHL level. He also set up that beauty pass to Frattin for Frattin's first ever NHL goal. I can really see the combination of Colborne and Frattin succeeding if they can get some real team together in the NHL.
I have wanted Colborne Frattin Kadri for some time, why not have it, without a real 1C and 1G not like we are a contender anyways.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Wilson appeared to not like him for whatever reason, it didnt seem to be professional reasons either. I never could stand that man, his coaching left me borderline screaming at the tv night in and out.
The thing about Wilson is that his system relied on a great goaltender, and that is something the Leafs have not had since 02/03. He had Kolzig in Washington and Nabokov in San Jose, and he relied on those two a ton.

I didn't like how the Leafs handled Kadri either to be honest. I did not mind when he was first sent down, even though he had a terrific pre-season. However,when we started to fill our roster with NHL bodies that just took a spot away from Kadri, that was annoying. There have been so many NHL forwards on our team(s) that should never have been given a spot over Kadri, but that is the way it goes. That year that Reimer emerged, I was very impressed by Kadri's play down the stretch, he showed a lot of character and came up with some big plays like the Shoot out goals and that game in Detroit(even though we lost ).

It's fair to argue that Kadri's production did not merit a roster spot, but sometimes it's okay to let a player play throughout it and learn. There are many skilled young stars that went through that exact same process.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
I have wanted Colborne Frattin Kadri for some time, why not have it, without a real 1C and 1G not like we are a contender anyways.
That would be a very fun line to watch!

Old
11-11-2012, 07:43 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
you're gonna tell me that Kadri shut his critics up tonight, and i'm gonna say no. we expect him to play to his potential ALL the time.
If you've followed his career, you'll know he goes through streaks. Fortunately, when he catches, he usually goes like a holy terror for a long spell.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:39 AM
meng666

They sure would have to trade/waive alot of guys just to fit him in the lineup somewhere. The Leafs have the same logjam as the Marlies this year.
Honestly, where is he going to fit? JVR and Grabovski are guaranteed for the 2nd line. CLarke would have to have the worst camp in the history of mankind to not get the last spot on that line. Third line is Kulemin-Connolly-Frattin guaranteed. Kadri won't be playing on the fourth line. There is absolutely no room or chance of him playing unless they move MacArthur which is pretty unlikely.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Leafs management has no clue how to develop kids. Its frightening. Look at Schenn and Kadri. Schenn needed another WHL season. He is gone now. Kadri was sent back to the AHL after that performance in Ottawa with 2 goals and 1 assist. Post Game all Wilson talked about was Kadri's "junior habits". Kadri is picked apart unlike Kulemin and Bozak, Reimer etc. 1 season in the AHL was enough. He passed his tests.
yeah, the Leafs have got to be one of the worst teams at developing young talent in the league, especially defencemen.

Unless you're so good you can step in right away and never look back like a Kaberle for instance, you're in for it. Rielly looks like one of those type of talents, let's hope he is spared the tender mercies of the Leaf "development" system.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:46 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meng666 View Post
They sure would have to trade/waive alot of guys just to fit him in the lineup somewhere. The Leafs have the same logjam as the Marlies this year.
Honestly, where is he going to fit? JVR and Grabovski are guaranteed for the 2nd line. CLarke would have to have the worst camp in the history of mankind to not get the last spot on that line. Third line is Kulemin-Connolly-Frattin guaranteed. Kadri won't be playing on the fourth line. There is absolutely no room or chance of him playing unless they move MacArthur which is pretty unlikely.
Very true.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:59 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Wilson alone has been the single worst developmental hangup for Kadri. If he isnt shipped off I assure you he will start next year no matter what. I can only imagine Carlyle asking himself why this kids not in the NHL yet, and the only reason he went back was rules and regulations last season.

How many REAL stars have the leafs developed in the past 30 years from scratch? Hint if its less than 5 the organization is a complete failure. Players who were shipped off and found their game elsewhere are not included.

I cant even think of one.
if there is a season this year the only reason Kadri plays is because Burke moved Mac, Lombo, or Connolly. of course there will be injuries, so we'll get a look. Even if contracts expire Naz has to prove that he belongs.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Frankie

Quote:
this is a crutch we lean on far too often when we have a prospect not playing as well as we'd like in the ahl.

i suppose its possible that a player could "fit" better in the nhl than the ahl. much more logical, though...better players will look better and will do better playing against others who are not as good.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:10 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
I think he could easily out play Bozak. Not exactly a monumental task. So could Colborne.

I also don't see any reason to move forward with MacArthur. I like him, but if you still have a youth movement thing going on, why take up space.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:11 AM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
I want him to get a good look on the top line with Kessel and Lupul. Even though this is a bad defensive line, I can imagine that his playmaking skills would generate a ton of points with a shooter like Kessel. With them as the topline, better bring out the best shutdown D-men we have (Gunnarsson-????).

Old
11-11-2012, 09:37 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
If feel like nobody should be allowed to bring up Eberle's 76 point season without an obligatory "19% shooting percentage"
Should we bring up the vets he was playing with as well?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
11-11-2012, 09:38 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
I want him to get a good look on the top line with Kessel and Lupul. Even though this is a bad defensive line, I can imagine that his playmaking skills would generate a ton of points with a shooter like Kessel. With them as the topline, better bring out the best shutdown D-men we have (Gunnarsson-????).
We do have a guy named Phaneuf that the coaches like for shut down detail. He's alright.

Closed Thread