HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fiddler Signs One Year Contract, Koistinen signed

Old
05-18-2006, 07:00 PM
handtrick

vCash: 500
Fiddler Signs One Year Contract, Koistinen signed

it's for one year....no word on amount or whether it is one way or two way as of yet.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?story_id=918

Last edited by barrytrotzsneck: 05-18-2006 at 07:49 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 06:44 AM
handtrick

Fiddler's is one way at 450K

Koistinen's is two-way at 450k/75K and expected to start in Milwaukee.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....37/1328/SPORTS

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Does the 75k mean he CAN be called up without going through waivers, or the opposite?

05-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Does the 75k mean he CAN be called up without going through waivers, or the opposite?
I'm pretty sure that I read around the Olympic Break that they the minor league hockey players association (PHPA) had fought that successfully and that that rule was eliminated. I'm not sure when it takes effect though because if you followed Vancouver at all, Wade Flaherty was left in Manitoba while they recalled a rookie netminder to backup Auld although the rookie was backing up Flaherty. This was all due to the waiver rule.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

Regardless, under the original rule, the $75k salary would have allowed him to be called up without being subject to waiver rules. $75k was the limit, anything above was subject to waivers...I believe.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake
Regardless, under the original rule, the $75k salary would have allowed him to be called up without being subject to waiver rules. $75k was the limit, anything above was subject to waivers...I believe.
Either way, common sense would tell you that he can be called up and not be subject to waivers. What's the purpose of even signing the guy if the moment he gets sent down, you'll likely never see him again? I trust that Poile made the signing with this rule in mind.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Either way, common sense would tell you that he can be called up and not be subject to waivers. What's the purpose of even signing the guy if the moment he gets sent down, you'll likely never see him again? I trust that Poile made the signing with this rule in mind.
Obviously, the article even says that Koistinen is expected to start the year in Milwaukee. I expect him to be given a period to adjust to the smaller ice surface in NA and then be looked upon to challenge for position as the first call-up in the event of an injury. I view this as a depth signing with a possible upside of finding a "late bloomer" who can turn into a puck-moving offensive defenseman.

Old
05-19-2006, 12:40 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Obviously, the article even says that Koistinen is expected to start the year in Milwaukee. I expect him to be given a period to adjust to the smaller ice surface in NA and then be looked upon to challenge for position as the first call-up in the event of an injury. I view this as a depth signing with a possible upside of finding a "late bloomer" who can turn into a puck-moving offensive defenseman.
Agreed. You wonder what it does to the likes of Klein? Next year, he was looking like the first call-up. While he could use another full season in Milwaukee (he's only 21), he's ready for the NHL. More and more, I think we are looking at trading one of our young defensemen in the offseason.

Old
05-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Agreed. You wonder what it does to the likes of Klein? Next year, he was looking like the first call-up. While he could use another full season in Milwaukee (he's only 21), he's ready for the NHL. More and more, I think we are looking at trading one of our young defensemen in the offseason.
Lets be honest, was he not ready this year....I think he was clearly ready at camp and in the call ups this year, he did nothing to not show he didn't belong in the NHL. The sad thing is, there is probably zero chance he plays for us next year, or heck...maybe even the year after. We either have to clear room for him or trade him, and with Parent, Laakso, Todd, etc....I think he or one of our younger guys will be moved this year, at the trade deadline, or next offseason.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Lets be honest, was he not ready this year....I think he was clearly ready at camp and in the call ups this year, he did nothing to not show he didn't belong in the NHL. The sad thing is, there is probably zero chance he plays for us next year, or heck...maybe even the year after. We either have to clear room for him or trade him, and with Parent, Laakso, Todd, etc....I think he or one of our younger guys will be moved this year, at the trade deadline, or next offseason.
He probably was ready this year, but an argument could easily be made that he could use another year. He had barely spent a full season in the AHL, one that saw him sent to the UHL for a week or so, and wasn't even legally able to drink. He looked good in his callups, but a full season is a different beat altogether. Suter looked good at first. But as the season wore on, his lack of experience and maturity combined with our woeful execution of our system to produce a forgettable last half of the year for Ryan. I think Klein would have been in the same boat if he'd been up all year.

Old
05-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
He probably was ready this year, but an argument could easily be made that he could use another year. He had barely spent a full season in the AHL, one that saw him sent to the UHL for a week or so, and wasn't even legally able to drink. He looked good in his callups, but a full season is a different beat altogether. Suter looked good at first. But as the season wore on, his lack of experience and maturity combined with our woeful execution of our system to produce a forgettable last half of the year for Ryan. I think Klein would have been in the same boat if he'd been up all year.
True, but in regards to both players, I think both would have been a starter on the majority of the teams in the league. As it stood, Suter was on the bench at the end of the year and Klein was in the minors...not to mention Zanon who could start for teams like Colorado or Vancouver as a 6/7 guy. The incredible depth our team has on the backend is simply astonishing when you look at other teams rosters....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
True, but in regards to both players, I think both would have been a starter on the majority of the teams in the league. As it stood, Suter was on the bench at the end of the year and Klein was in the minors...not to mention Zanon who could start for teams like Colorado or Vancouver as a 6/7 guy. The incredible depth our team has on the backend is simply astonishing when you look at other teams rosters....

I agree, and the backlog will only get worse if/when players like Parent, Franson, Sulzer, Kulyash, etc. all become NHL-ready. If you look at a team like Columbus, I wouldn't be suprised of Klein would have worked his way into their top 4 by season's end.

Old
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm going to bet that Eaton is not retained and only one of Markov and Witt are, leaving us with an opening.

Kimmo-Hammer
Weber-Zidlicky
Witt-Suter
Klien

Could be our defense next year, and honestly it could be top 5 or bottom 10 depending on growth..... With the way Zidlicky gets injuried and just the nature of defensemen injuries the 7th guy will play quite often.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
I agree, and the backlog will only get worse if/when players like Parent, Franson, Sulzer, Kulyash, etc. all become NHL-ready. If you look at a team like Columbus, I wouldn't be suprised of Klein would have worked his way into their top 4 by season's end.
This is very true. I fully expect a current Pred blueliner to be dealt or go unsigned. Eaton comes to mind as unsigned. And with our org's D-depth, their could even be a trade also. It is time Poile made a move to bolster the center depth of the team.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Seth Lake

Not to get totally off-topic here but...Kevin Klein lays out what he thinks he needs to do to hang in the NHL next season:

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/sports/co...als051806.html

A bunch of the Admirals are doing blogs for the local newspaper. This is the first one I'm reading, but I'm going back for more!

The Predators are linking the blogs from their website:
http://boards.nashvillepredators.com...blog&blogid=1&

Claude Noel, Greg Zanon, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein, Darren Haydar, Scott May, Sheldon Brookbank, and Aaron Sims are all blogging.

Old
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I read around the Olympic Break that they the minor league hockey players association (PHPA) had fought that successfully and that that rule was eliminated. I'm not sure when it takes effect though because if you followed Vancouver at all, Wade Flaherty was left in Manitoba while they recalled a rookie netminder to backup Auld although the rookie was backing up Flaherty. This was all due to the waiver rule.

Anyone else hear anything about this?
it's only eliminated for guys with 300+ ECHL/AHL/NHL games

so salary > 75k & pro games < 300 = re-entry waiver

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy
it's only eliminated for guys with 300+ ECHL/AHL/NHL games

so salary > 75k & pro games < 300 = re-entry waiver
Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense than eliminating the rule altogether.

Old
05-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

a little info on Robert Bouchard becoming Father Ryan's Head Coach

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=49938

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote