HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

139:12 And Counting, The Barons Couldn't Score in a Brothel With a Fistfull of $100's

Old
11-10-2012, 11:41 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Hall's face healed nicely

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:42 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He did that on purpose to avoid a big hit.
just like sam gagner
get the youtubes ready

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Schultz saves the day! I love watching this guy play. Honestly I was pretty worried during the last minute of regulation, nice to see us take the win in OT. Go Oi.. err. Go Barons!

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Smart when Hall does it ... snowpants gifs and name-calling for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
just like sam gagner
get the youtubes ready
Take it elsewhere.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:44 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Why does Calgary Puck hate Schultz specifically? I'd understand Vancouver hating him, but Calgary fans?

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:47 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Why does Calgary Puck hate Schultz specifically? I'd understand Vancouver hating him, but Calgary fans?
it's jelly, a whole lot of jelly

Exciting game for sure! I'm glad this was the one I watched.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OilerNut*

Quote:
Cause it's Calgary?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Didn't Calgary think they had a legit shot at him?

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
From what I seen on the boards around that time they seemed to think they had as good a chance at him as anyone else. Plus a highly sought after free agent finally picked Edmonton, I think it kind of stuck their craw, so to speak.

And now they realize he is going to be a big pain in their ass for years to come.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Props to Kerr on the GWG call. He actually showed some enthusiasm despite the fact that a Flames/Heat player didn't score.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:52 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Some choice quotes from Calgarypuck.

Quote:
Fack, anyone but Schultz
Quote:
Dammit... anyone but him.
Quote:
i hate schultz
Can't wait until he does this to the Canucks!

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Oh Justin. Clutchy mcclutcherson

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Schultz is going to be quite the weapon for us in 4 on 4 situations.

11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Great game today. They saved the good one for Saturday HNIC hdtv.

That was some hockey game. Really got a taste of the two clubs going forward. Very impressed actually with the well coached Abbotsford club and they look to have a ringer at coach. Team playing great system hockey and playing smart all over the ice. Really like Ward. Should get an NHL gig, maybe Flames before long.

Really after intensity from Barons in the first the Heat basically took this game over. Without some excellent finish from Hall and Schultz we don't win this one. Heat were just dominating in stretches in the 3rd and with the tying goal being inevitable. They almost sealed the deal in regulation time.

Which brings me to Nelson. A club giving up 3 goal leads in successive 3rd periods recently and chronically giving up leads and looking disorganized at key times is not showing signs of being well coached.
We basically weren't picking up much of anything in this two game set. We battled better in this one but Heat really finding the back door and trailer almost any time they tried. Point blank shot after point blank shot. With a little finish Abbotsfords win both games. Real quality chances generated consistently. Close in chances like crazy.

WE got the better players, Heat are the better team. I'll take the W, but I'm not convinced these kids are learning a whole lot under Nelson.

Basically a wasted season for them. Conversely look at how the Calgary prospects are learning to play every aspect of the TEAM game and all of them. Its being required.

One org is developing all its prospects and learning to play great winning hockey and the other is just going through the motions on most nights.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
nvm.....

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:08 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
CP hates any player that isn't a Flame.

Meanwhile Jarmoe Eeegeenla is a god that is better than Gretzky.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:13 AM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

That was some hockey game. Really got a taste of the two clubs going forward. Very impressed actually with the well coached Abbotsford club and they look to have a ringer at coach. Team playing great system hockey and playing smart all over the ice. Really like Ward. Should get an NHL gig, maybe Flames before long.

Really after intensity from Barons in the first the Heat basically took this game over. Without some excellent finish from Hall and Schultz we don't win this one. Heat were just dominating in stretches in the 3rd and with the tying goal being inevitable. They almost sealed the deal in regulation time.

Which brings me to Nelson. A club giving up 3 goal leads in successive 3rd periods recently and chronically giving up leads and looking disorganized at key times is not showing signs of being well coached.
We basically weren't picking up much of anything in this two game set. We battled better in this one but Heat really finding the back door and trailer almost any time they tried. Point blank shot after point blank shot. With a little finish Abbotsfords win both games. Real quality chances generated consistently. Close in chances like crazy.

WE got the better players, Heat are the better team. I'll take the W, but I'm not convinced these kids are learning a whole lot under Nelson.

Basically a wasted season for them. Conversely look at how the Calgary prospects are learning to play every aspect of the TEAM game and all of them. Its being required.

One org is developing all its prospects and learning to play great winning hockey and the other is just going through the motions on most nights.
I really think you're overreacting. Nelson coached a far less talented team deep into the playoffs last year. Maybe he needs time to adjust to the new roster and figure out what works? Saying it's a wasted year is just way over the top. I'm not ready to write Nelson off yet. I really liked him coming into the season, as did most everyone.

That said, most of your points were true. I'm just willing to be a little more patient.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Dabomb

Schultz is worth all the hype.. his wrist shot is simply amazing. And with all the talk about his offence, I've been just as impressed with his defensive play.

Also very good games for Hartikainen and Pitlick. I think those two players will be important pieces of the big club going forward. Especially Hartsy.. man I love how he always finishes his checks and how he protects the puck along the boards and creates havoc in front of the net. He better be up with the big club when the lockout ends.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
I really think you're overreacting. Nelson coached a far less talented team deep into the playoffs last year. Maybe he needs time to adjust to the new roster and figure out what works? Saying it's a wasted year is just way over the top. I'm not ready to write Nelson off yet. I really liked him coming into the season, as did most everyone.

That said, most of your points were true. I'm just willing to be a little more patient.
I think he was reasonably good D, understands the pk very well and has the club playing consistently well at that. I think he's not very well rounded at all as a headcoach and that these problems are being especially demonstrated with a talented club in front of him.

I've never been sold on Nelson. Certainly not as an NHL coach as so many people here last year were advocating.

Probably because I'm a fan of systems play and a club playing as a team I much prefer what Ward is doing. Night and day different and you could just see the Calgary prospects blooming. Both in puck control and team puck retension. Calgary's players are learning to value puck retension and that only good things can happen when you have the puck. Edmonton players giving it away for fun. Thats a bit disconcerting and this two game set was very eye opening in general.

Edmonton with far better drafted prospects and Calgary getting better results and development. Calgary also playing a much grittier game as befits that org. Thats some reason for concern.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Paajarvi just tweeted this.

Quote:
Magnus Pääjärvi ‏@mps_91
Pretty cool saluting after a big win on away ice!! #oilersfans #sick!!

Old
11-11-2012, 12:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Schultz is worth all the hype.. his wrist shot is simply amazing. And with all the talk about his offence, I've been just as impressed with his defensive play.

Also very good games for Hartikainen and Pitlick. I think those two players will be important pieces of the big club going forward. Especially Hartsy.. man I love how he always finishes his checks and how he protects the puck along the boards and creates havoc in front of the net. He better be up with the big club when the lockout ends.
That was such an impressive goal, one of the replays caught it all too. You could just see Schultz measuring up the play, working perfectly through the screen, and putting it high where he wanted it working the screen like a magician.

Guy is just on top of his game. Thats a goal that is immediately transferrable to the NHL. You make that perfect screened shot and tuck it high exactly where you want it on command and you got something.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:26 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:

That was some hockey game. ...

Basically a wasted season for them.
Quoted for

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I think he was reasonably good D, understands the pk very well and has the club playing consistently well at that. I think he's not very well rounded at all as a headcoach and that these problems are being especially demonstrated with a talented club in front of him.

I've certainly never been sold on Nelson. Certainly not as an NHL coach as so many people here last year were advocating.

Probably because I'm a fan of systems play and a club playing as a team I much prefer what Ward is doing. Night and day different and you could just see the Calgary prospects blooming. Both in puck control and team puck retension. Calgary's players are learning to value puck retension and that only good things can happen when you have the puck. Edmonton players giving it away for. Thats a bit disconcerting and this two game set was very eye opening in general.

Edmonton with far better drafted prospects and Calgary getting better results. Calgary also playing a much grittier game as befits that org. Thats some reason for concern.
Yeah, I definitely agree... and it's not like Abottsford is a BIG team either.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Quoted for
Not sure what you're questioning here. I was onboard all of last year with thinking that players that we sent down like Omark and Paajarvi weren't being given what we need down there.
Nelson is more concerned with AHL results than clear player development. He's a career AHLer that has that league in his blood. But really bereft of any knowledge on what an NHL player would require to succeed.
Not like a guy could even learn what it takes to get to the show from Nelson. From a prospect POV of guys on the bubble thats a lot like the blind leading the blind.

When it comes to our star players I can imagine their disinterest when Nelson is giving them heated instruction on how to play the game. Of course they play the game at a higher level in their sleep than Nelson could ever dream of.
Which is fine, but if you're a career scrub you better be a brilliant tactician to hope to come across to confirmed NHL players. Nelson seems wanting in this area. He doesn't have a lot to teach these young stars and I suspect he knows it. He's in over his head this year.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Dabomb

I thought Nuge had a pretty quiet game overall. Hall and Eberle improved as the game wore on. Paajarvi still leaves me wanting more. And that Heat goal was all on him due to his poor decision on that icing call. Plante had one of his better defensive games tonight. I also like Teubert's toughness but he's really gotta learn not to take so many penalties.

And where are all the Flame fans in Abbotsford? Are there not any Calgary fans living in BC?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote