HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Late 90s jerseys

Old
11-10-2012, 10:02 AM
kirby11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
Buffalo should bring those back.
I really wish they'd go back to the old blue and gold, bring back the goat head as an alternate home jersey, and have that be it.
Some late 90s jerseys I liked a lot were the pens triangle thing, mighty ducks jerseys, the nyr third, and the stars home (hate the team for obvious reasons haha). their current jerseys are so boring. can't think of any other ones that stood out as really cool to me right now.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbyda View Post
anyone know where i can get 98 olympic team russia jersey?
Act quickly on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-Ni...item4609a31d4a

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I really wish they'd go back to the old blue and gold, bring back the goat head as an alternate home jersey, and have that be it.
Some late 90s jerseys I liked a lot were the pens triangle thing, mighty ducks jerseys, the nyr third, and the stars home (hate the team for obvious reasons haha). their current jerseys are so boring. can't think of any other ones that stood out as really cool to me right now.
I used to really like the Sens jerseys

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Reign Nateo

Honestly think those Coyotes jerseys would be considered 'classic' by now had they never changed them.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:16 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
*barf*

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Yea, the Buffalo Buffaloes sure looked great in those things. Wait...

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:40 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

This. This is what the Penguins should bring back.

Old
11-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The 90s were a black pit of despair and atrocious marketing ideas.

Also I feel like it's mandatory that I belittle the robo-penguin any time it gets mentioned. Worst ****ing logo ever.
I think it`s sexy. Maybe because I was like 5-7 in the late nineties and dat nostalgia is working on me.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
MonsterSurge

Those Buffalo jerseys were awesome.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 03:28 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiTzLaMia View Post
I used to really like the Sens jerseys
agreed, i prefer the old ones they had from the 90s to 05-06 to the newer ones

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
nWo
New World Order

Yep, those Buffalo jerseys were awesome.

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:31 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gross. Only looked decent because Hasek was in them.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodius View Post
No one ever cares about these, but the alternate set the Ducks had in the late 90s were sweet.

I have the white jersey. I bought it I was 17 yrs old 10 yrs ago, I had no interest in the ducks what so ever but I just liked the jersey. I still have it and every time I see it I find it so random lol.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Pengo

Don't forget

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Skraut

This thread delivers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
...the mail.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post

This. This is what the Penguins should bring back.
Dear God, yes.

And the Sabres jerseys always make me chuckle. When they were used I swear their approval rating around here was like 20%. What the **** does a bison head have to do with a team named the Sabres? That and the whole black was insanely overused at the time and the font was obnoxious and the striping...eh, the striping was unique (at the time) and wasn't completely awful.

But today...best jerseys ever!

Which was the exact mentality this place had about the blue and gold Sabres designs before they brought those back.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:13 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:

Awesome.
I see your above and raise you a:

Old
11-10-2012, 10:39 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I could probably go through every jersey change of the late 90s and give you a specific reason that I loathe it.

That was a period when all respect for hockey aesthetics went out the window and was replaced by "let's make a black replacement with lots of crazy lines and a cartoon mascot! The kids'll love it!".

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:40 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The 90s were a black pit of despair and atrocious marketing ideas.

Also I feel like it's mandatory that I belittle the robo-penguin any time it gets mentioned. Worst ****ing logo ever.
You crazy: Trianguin ftw!

Also, the yellow is terrible on their old jerseys: Golduins ftw!

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodius View Post
No one ever cares about these, but the alternate set the Ducks had in the late 90s were sweet.

Cincinnati of the AHL played off of this design and IMO made it look even better than the NHL version:

(that's a Sean Avery jersey, oddly enough)

Old
11-10-2012, 11:27 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

If anything I prefer Anaheim's jersey over there past AHL affiliates one

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:29 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
I see your above and raise you a:

Is it just me or does that goalie look pregnant?

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I could probably go through every jersey change of the late 90s and give you a specific reason that I loathe it.

That was a period when all respect for hockey aesthetics went out the window and was replaced by "let's make a black replacement with lots of crazy lines and a cartoon mascot! The kids'll love it!".
Late 80s/Early 90s designs look good, but they all look the same. What's wrong with a huge wave of creativity in the league?

And I guess that means you loath this design?

Last edited by Pengo: 11-10-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Late 80s/Early 90s designs look good, but they all look the same. What's wrong with a huge wave of creativity in the league?
You know, that's a good question worthy of a long answer.

Let's go back to the end of the Original Six. The fundamental rule of hockey aesthetics was simple: horizontal lines. Some teams had shoulder yokes, some had stripes along the hems of the jersey, the sleeves, the socks or the pants. The colors were all primary, every team but NYR used a crest on the the chest, and only the Hawks used shoulder patches. It was, in every way, a very "uniform" league. Thus the baseline for hockey jersey designs is very recognizable and has some cultural currency.

With expansion, there was an opportunity to expand the aesthetic horizons. The Blues and Penguins used slightly different shades of blue, but the other 4 teams picked secondary colors and opened up the palette. One of those teams, the Flyers, developed a look that is highly underrated when we talk about "iconic" uniforms. They shattered the horizontal-line barrier, extending the traditional yoke all the way down the arms to create a vertical line, and then went a step further by adding a diagonal line at the wrists. That was a watershed design in NHL history and other teams followed their lead to create an alternative aesthetic for the next 20 years (notably the Leafs and Rangers with their arm-length yokes, and the Pens and Barons with their horizontal wrist stripes).

Side note -- in this context, two of the most infamous sweaters in NHL history actually look like strokes of semi-accidental genius. The Canucks' "V" jerseys were an early experiment in horizontal marks on the main body of the jerseys, and the Oakland Seals' "football" look incorporated vertical lines from shoulder to armpit. Both of these were eye-stabbingly horrible uniforms in practice, but in theory they were far ahead of their time.

Back on track -- the creative forces of the league settled in for a long winter's nap after the Canucks' experiment bombed, and until the next expansion we saw nothing more than copycats and some occasionally-clever fiddling with the same 8 colors. It was a league that was extremely secure in its look, but cried out for novelty.

Then, along comes 1991 and San Jose drops a bomb followed by a nuke from Anahiem. Suddenly, the color palette was wide open to reach in any direction. The Ducks brought diagonal stripes to the body of the jersey (unfortunately accompanied by the first of the really bad logos) and Tampa chipped in by getting creative with their pant stripes. Florida introduced the creatively-shaped shoulder yoke. LA, Minnesota and Tampa became the first teams to use black for purely aesthetic, non-historical reasons (and Minnesota was the first to throw its color identity in the trash for the sake of black). A Pandora's box had opened, and the hockey world was finally ready to fully explore the boundaries of its aesthetic heritage.

But here's the crucial thing, the factor that makes 1995 such a catastrophic year for taste in hockey uniforms -- everything up to that point had been done as a spin on tradition. In 1995, with a swollen head from its growing popularity and not fully grasping just why so many people had gravitated toward hockey, the NHL introduced alternate uniforms. Basically, it gave each team's merchandising department free license to take a dump on 100 years of aesthetic tradition under the theory that a hockey uniform could be "improved" by starting all over as if it was not culturally important unto itself.

With a blank check to do as much damage as possible, the marketing gurus gave us this. And this. And this. Meanwhile, you had the Islanders, Avalanche and Caps violating the concept of straight lines altogether, not on their alternates but on the sweaters we had to watch every night. And that was just in 1995! By the next season you had Buffalo in full-time black unis with no horizontal stripes at all. Soon you had the Pens skating around with a two-tone stripe through their crest, Ottawa with a swoosh through their 3-D picture of Spartacus, and the Sharks inexplicably dumping one of the most popular uniforms in league history for a mess of arcing lines and armpit stains.

What began as an MLB-esque alternative concept program became a viral plague that wiped out the visual appeal of the league. In particular, the Western Conference was a wasteland of goofy concept schemes with zero identity or long-term appeal. The league sent a very strong signal at that time that it either did not understand or did not respect the tradition it had torn down, and that signal resonated with other changes that were taking place.

And almost as nature's way of proving the folly of the late 1990s, as soon as the RBK contract forced a "reboot" of jersey designs, nearly every single team dropped its existing alternate and/or went with a traditional retro look. Now we're back to wondering when a team will be ballsy enough to put a diagonal line somewhere in the design.

To show I'm not a total curmudgeon, or a blind loyalist to tradition, I do think that a couple of teams have discovered non-traditional templates that might have some staying power. Nashville and St. Louis both settled on a vertical pinstripe that extends from the yoke and frames the crest (really clever as an "arch" for the Blues). I hated that look at first, but it's grown on me over time and I don't see a lot of hate for it among fans. Obviously the Blues could go back to their old unis and be fine, but unto itself it's not horrible and I think they and the Preds found the kind of subtle modern touch that actually justifies altering the traditional template.

Uniforms might seem like a trivial aspect of the sport, but they're the canary in the mineshaft. It's not a coincidence that these changes are timed in tune to expansions and lockouts.

TL;DR - Creativity is great and all, but not in the hands of the second-rate marketing hacks who worked for the NHL in the late 1990s.

Old
11-11-2012, 02:38 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

TL;DR - Creativity is great and all, but not in the hands of the second-rate marketing hacks who worked for the NHL in the late 1990s.
I blame you for the NHL's current terrible jerseys. It's totes cool for every team to wear a blue and white jersey with a circle around their logo!

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote