HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Drouin with a goal and 2 more assists so far today. Just ripping it up.

MacKinnon has no points, so Drouin is not leaching off of him.
I'm gonna start thinking that MacKinnon really depends on Drouin just like in the Super Series.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Drouin with a goal and 2 more assists so far today. Just ripping it up.

MacKinnon has no points, so Drouin is not leaching off of him.
We don't stand a chance of getting Drouin anymore, time to talk about the mid rounders IMO.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:03 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
We don't stand a chance of getting Drouin anymore, time to talk about the mid rounders IMO.
We dont even know where we will end in the standing.. Our depth right now is pretty thin, especially if we send Gally to his junior team..

Old
11-10-2012, 08:07 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
We dont even know where we will end in the standing.. Our depth right now is pretty thin, especially if we send Gally to his junior team..
With one ball in the lottery I don't see us in the top half. Could be wrong but I am not going to get my hopes up. Anyone think Domi will get any bigger?

Old
11-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
With one ball in the lottery I don't see us in the top half. Could be wrong but I am not going to get my hopes up. Anyone think Domi will get any bigger?
I'm optimistic for a season, there is a good chance we are bad, but i don't know about bottom 5 bad.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
I'm optimistic for a season, there is a good chance we are bad, but i don't know about bottom 5 bad.
I think it's just as likely for a mediocre team to get into the playoffs in a shortened season. There's always teams that look good until February, but with a shorter schedule those teams can push for playoff spots. The standings are going to be a mess if they play a 64 game season.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:35 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I'm gonna start thinking that MacKinnon really depends on Drouin just like in the Super Series.
MacKinnons been on the radar for a while though. They are both great talents.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
I feel the longer the lockout goes, the more our ''playoff chances'', whatever they may be to start with for this season, decrease. With a new coaching staff, they'll need some time to get familiar with the team and the team will need a lot of time to learn their new systems, especially since training camp will likely be very short. And factor in that a condensed schedule means fewer practices than normal.

So I can easily see the first 15-20 games being basically one big adaptation period and essentially an extended training camp, all while playing 4 games a week on average, meaning the potential for injury is higher than normal. The potential for a difficult 15-20 games to start is there, which would pretty much end the season if it's a 50-60 game one.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
I feel the longer the lockout goes, the more our ''playoff chances'', whatever they may be to start with for this season, decrease. With a new coaching staff, they'll need some time to get familiar with the team and the team will need a lot of time to learn their new systems, especially since training camp will likely be very short. And factor in that a condensed schedule means fewer practices than normal.

So I can easily see the first 15-20 games being basically one big adaptation period and essentially an extended training camp, all while playing 4 games a week on average, meaning the potential for injury is higher than normal. The potential for a difficult 15-20 games to start is there, which would pretty much end the season if it's a 50-60 game one.
Optimism for failure. Irony haha.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:01 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
We only had 1 ball in 2005 and drafted 5th? Of the 4 teams with 3 balls only Pittsburgh drafted ahead of us. Buffalo drafted 11th, NY Rangers 12th and Columbus 6th.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

I feel the opposite. We're not good enough to be a playoff team regardless of how many game are played in the season. That being said, if we can get off to a hot start early in the season, the lower number of games could prevent us from falling back to earth fast enough knock us out of a playoff spot.

The reverse is also true. With a slow start, we may end up with a top 5 pick even though I do think we're not THAT bad. At the very least, the shortened season will create a lot of unpredictability and is therefore most beneficial to teams just outside the playoffs as they could potentially end up with something they don't entirely deserve (top 5 pick or playoff spot).

Last edited by Playmaker09: 11-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
I feel the opposite. We're not good enough to be a playoff team regardless of how many game are played in the season. That being said, if we can get off to a hot start early in the season, the lower number of games could prevent us from falling back to earth fast enough knock us out of a playoff spot.

The reverse is also true. With a slow start, we may end up with a top 5 pick even though I do think we're not THAT bad. At the very least, the shortened season will create a lot of unpredictability and is therefore most beneficial to teams just outside the playoffs as they could potentially end up with something they don't entirely deserve (top 5 pick or playoff spot).
I feel that we have a team of hard-working guys that will win early on by playing every game as if it was a playoff game. That said, as the season progresses, the players won't be able to keep playing with this kind of intensity.

So yeah, a longer season would be bad for this team I think. I don't want to get into the "tank" talk when the season hasn't even started yet, but I don't think we'll make the playoffs in any scenario. A short season could mean we'll end up 9th or 10th in the East instead of 13-15 though.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
We only had 1 ball in 2005 and drafted 5th? Of the 4 teams with 3 balls only Pittsburgh drafted ahead of us. Buffalo drafted 11th, NY Rangers 12th and Columbus 6th.
Give me the odds on it happening again.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Lebowski

Y'all really thinking the Habs have a lottery team if there's a season? Give me a break. We're a fringe playoff team that can end anywhere from 6 to 9 in the East. Last year was a fluke and we were the second worst team in man-games lost I believe.

Do most of you consider Ottawa a playoff team after last season, while everybody predicted they would end 15th in the east? Florida?

Old
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Y'all really thinking the Habs have a lottery team if there's a season? Give me a break. We're a fringe playoff team that can end anywhere from 6 to 9 in the East. Last year was a fluke and we were the second worst team in man-games lost I believe.

Do most of you consider Ottawa a playoff team after last season, while everybody predicted they would end 15th in the east? Florida?
Our offense is worse than it was to start last year and we replaced Gill (who was pretty awful last year to be fair) with Boullion. While I think last year was something of a fluke due to Gauthier's panic moves and the coaching situation, this team is worse than it was 2 years ago IMO.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Our offense is worse than it was to start last year and we replaced Gill (who was pretty awful last year to be fair) with Boullion. While I think last year was something of a fluke due to Gauthier's panic moves and the coaching situation, this team is worse than it was 2 years ago IMO.
Markov is the key player here.

I'm not saying we're in a position to be considered a contender, but we're far better than what most people claim in this thread. If there's a reasonably long season, don't expect to have a shot at Drouin.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Markov is the key player here.

I'm not saying we're in a position to be considered a contender, but we're far better than what most people claim in this thread. If there's a reasonably long season, don't expect to have a shot at Drouin.
Markov does change everything, but there's a lot of what-ifs. I don't think we'd have the same record as last year because last year was a fluke, but a lot of the other bottom feeders got marginally better, though a few teams like Jersey would be a lot worse too.

If there was a season I'd think we'd end up drafting in the top 10 while missing out on the top 5...which means there would be a slight chance one of Drouin or Lindholm falls to us.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:32 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We have one line in DD-Cole-Pac that has proven to us it can produce consistently, but besides that, I'm not that confident with the rest. Factoring in a new coaching staff, a so-so D, and the fragility of our team (injuries), I don't see this team making the playoffs.

What's your opinion on Penalty killing? Besides Gorges, I'm worried.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Delete

Old
11-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
We have one line in DD-Cole-Pac that has proven to us it can produce consistently, but besides that, I'm not that confident with the rest. Factoring in a new coaching staff, a so-so D, and the fragility of our team (injuries), I don't see this team making the playoffs.

As long as we keep Plekanec, I'm not too worried. He's one of the best in the leagues at the PK, Eller is getting better, and if anything we now have even more grinders who can split the minutes on the PK. Not having Gill to play second goalie is a step back but it's a much bigger loss on the 5 on 3 than the regular PK, because we looked good there even without Gill because our team defense is so good and Plek and Eller are monsters at creating breakaways.

I'm more worried about the DD line being able to replicate its success, especially if it's not broken up to give the team more balance. Having a healthy Gionta could make the offense more balanced but I'm skeptical Cole could have a season as good as last year.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post

Penalty kill doesnt look too bad. Plekanec, Eller, Prust and Moen the forwards and Gorges, Subban, Bouillon and 1 of Markov/Emelin.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Et le But

Quote from the prospect board on Barkov:

Quote:
Barkov was chosen as MVP and top foward in the U20 4 nations in sundvall sweden. Barkov was on ice on 8 of the 9 goals that finland scored and i think that there was 1 goal scored on his line. Barkov stats was 3 assists in 3 games but he got robbed atleast 2-3 obvious passes by stat guys. I think that 5-6 assists is close to truth. Barkov looked pretty tired out there IMO but managed to put up good tournament.
And that's the thing that really impresses me about Barkov, even when he's not taking over he does all the little things right to impact a game. There's definitely concerns if he has the offensive upside Mackinnon does (as I said before my biggest worry is he already reached his peak because he's so polished), but he also has no real weakness (explosiveness, but even then it's not like he's a slug).

Still, when you are the MVP of a tournament surrounded by players at least 2 years older than you...

Old
11-11-2012, 06:16 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
You are correct.

The shorter the season, the better our playoff chances.

With a full season we are an 11th-15th place team. However, a shorter seasons means greater statistical fluctuations.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:17 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Give me the odds on it happening again.
Probably and statistics should be taught at a much earlier age.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You are correct.

The shorter the season, the better our playoff chances.

With a full season we are an 11th-15th place team. However, a shorter seasons means greater statistical fluctuations.
Just how many Habs fans said things like that prior to last season?

We're not a lottery team. At worst (or at best), I would expect a 9th or 10th pick. We should pick around 15th, though.

Closed Thread