HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

KHL teams want to keep Ovechkin, Kovalchuk rather than return 'em to NHL?

Old
11-11-2012, 05:21 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Guess they've never heard of contracts. I hope the teams sue them for everything if they try it.
They have heard, for sure. But for them contracts are just some sheets they use when they run out of toilet paper. It's a different culture. And if there's still something unpleasant on the table, you use money to wipe it out.

So it's kind of honest and transparent. Only that you can't trust anything. But in most of the cases you've got the money they promised, whatever happened.

These are my opinions based on what some Finnish players and coaches in the KHL have told to Finnish media recent years.

W75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Yeah these guys are going to leave 17 year 100 million contracts on the table in the US to play in russia

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:38 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
A. Let them stay. It'll only hurt them (financially).
I can't agree with this. They can/will earn more in Russia than in NHL.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:52 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannheim View Post
I can't agree with this. Or yes, maybe some of them can. But it's not a solution for most of the players. And it has nothing to do with the overall health of the hockey business in Russia..

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-bad-business/

W75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:53 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
No transfer agreement BUT there is an agreement to respect the other league's contracts...which is clearly in violation if Malkin/Ovechkin stay over there once a CBA has been signed in the NHL...it is possible the KHL rips up that agreement for an OVechkin, but that's a risky move that might cost them big time in the future.
1.it is not agreement but MOU
2.if NHL starst this season, guys are back (no time to terminate NHL contracts)
3.NHL broke this MOU in Prokhorkin case ... why KHL should not do it as well?

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Falconator

If the NHL tries to change their contracts by reducing them, I don't blame them. They have signed and agreed to contracts with their NHL clubs worth X amount of dollars. If those clubs change the amount, or try to, they should void the contract. Part of the make whole the NHLPA is fighting for.

If Ovechkin is making 9 million in the NHL and they try to reduce his contract by 24% again, his contract is now worth just under 7 million. Then he has to pay uncle sam 40% for taxes, so he puts approximately 4 million/yr in his pocket. I think he's making 6 million per year over there, so why wouldn't he stay over there as their salaries are tax free in the KHL.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
1.it is not agreement but MOU
2.if NHL starst this season, guys are back (no time to terminate NHL contracts)
3.NHL broke this MOU in Prokhorkin case ... why KHL should not do it as well?
MOU that was AGREED upon by both sides...sounds somewhat like an agreement. It has been respected to this point.

MOU was only violated if Prokhorkin's KHL contract was deemed valid. The Kings didn't clearly. Considering there has been little push back from the KHL regarding him and since this is the exact type of thing this MOU was designed to stop, I gotta think that the don't have a leg to stand on.

Really think the NHL is going to let the Kings violate the MOU for a far from bluechip prospect like Prokhorkin? Not a chance, IMO.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:02 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
So if Karlsson said he wasn't coming back tomorrow you wouldn't care? Or is it just when it is other teams best players?
Sorry for the delayed response (I was out all day), but yes: if Karlsson decided tomorrow he was done with the NHL, then good riddance.

I don't players who don't want to be here. You want to play for the Sens? Great, I'd love to have you here. You want out? Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:08 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
MOU that was AGREED upon by both sides...sounds somewhat like an agreement. It has been respected to this point.

MOU was only violated if Prokhorkin's KHL contract was deemed valid. The Kings didn't clearly. Considering there has been little push back from the KHL regarding him and since this is the exact type of thing this MOU was designed to stop, I gotta think that the don't have a leg to stand on.

Really think the NHL is going to let the Kings violate the MOU for a far from bluechip prospect like Prokhorkin? Not a chance, IMO.

[UPDATE 10/23/2012: The NHL has set a grievance hearing for next Monday. Our source says the NHL admits he has a valid KHL contract, but the NHLPA is stalling. And reports have KHL President Alexander Medvedev saying this about the situation - "NHLPA, don't test us. There is a good rule: an eye for an eye"]
source

Old
11-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
NHL =/= pro wrestling
SidneyWinsLOL?

Bettman announcing the end of the lock-out: "Good evening everyone, I'm pleased to announce that we've finally come to an agreement..." JR: BAH GAWD, OVECHKIN JUST HIT GARY BETTMAN WITH A STEEL CHAIR IN THE BACK!"

Last edited by Jussi: 11-11-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:11 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
SidneyWinsLOL?

Bettman announcing the end of the lock-out: "Good evening everyone, I'm pleased to announce that we've finally come to an agreement..." JR: BAH GAWD, OVECHKIN JUST HIT GARY BETTMAN WITH A STEEL CHAIR IN THE BACK!"
Ovechkin would have a few million more fans after that. And probably a lengthy jail stay, since this isn't actually wrestling.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Confucius

If Ovy and Kovalchuck want to stay in Russia there isn't much the NHL can do about it. Its the ole, if he doesn't want to be here we may as well let him go. We see it all the time with players and coaches. Recent example is with the Blujays, Farrel wanted to go to Boston, Jays let him go. If push came to shove would the Caps want to pay an unhappy Ovi who all of a sudden can't score a goal, even in an empty net?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
One thing they won't have the opportunity to earn - Olympic medals. The IOC and IIHF will disallow contract breakers to participate - of that I am sure.

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:38 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
One thing they won't have the opportunity to earn - Olympic medals. The IOC and IIHF will disallow contract breakers to participate - of that I am sure.
who says that Ovie etc wants to break NHL contracts? If they come to KHL, they will TERMINATE contracts in NHL earlier. IIHF can do nothing

Old
11-11-2012, 08:45 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
What did the IIHF do to suspend Radulov from international competition after he bolted from his NHL contract? nothing! and there's nothing they could do about any other players in the future who choose to do so...

And if you state that in the case of Radulov the NHL and KHL didn't have in place an agreement or MOU on honoring each other's contracts....
This current NHL/KHL MOU expires June 27, 2013.

Personally, I'd like to see it happen...the legal case would be fascinating to watch.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Whydidijoin*

Does anybody else see the irony in the players threatening to ignore their contracts and stay in the KHL when the main battle cry of the NHLPA is "Contracts must be honoured!"?

Funny thing is, going back to the NHL actually IS in their contracts, as opposed to getting every penny they signed for.

Not worried anyway. They would never risk their chances of being in the Olympics.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:01 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Hands off Malkin Magnitogorsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXYhb...WVA&playnext=1

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

Quote:
Until the league has its own financial problems and folds

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:10 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Does anybody else see the irony in the players threatening to ignore their contracts and stay in the KHL when the main battle cry of the NHLPA is "Contracts must be honoured!"?

Funny thing is, going back to the NHL actually IS in their contracts, as opposed to getting every penny they signed for.

Not worried anyway. They would never risk their chances of being in the Olympics.
Hilarious isn't it...these guys have been speaking out of both sides of their mouths...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:11 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksfan420 View Post
I highly doubt suing the KHL or the respective KHL teams or players would do anything assuming they (the players) have no problem staying in Russia for the remainder of their lives.

An international civil lawsuit is a little tricky when it is international, especially with a country like Russia. The government would likely choose to ignore it and let the KHL/players do whatever they want. How can you make players pay anyone when all their assets are in a different country outside of the control of the US judicial system? Threaten the Russian government? Lol ok

Edit: this is from a strictly legal standpoint that ignores the Olympics. It would likely require the IIHF threatening to ban all russian competitors from any international competition (if they can even do that in this type of situation). Either that or the Olympic committee could possibly threaten to remove the Olympics from Sochi or ban the players/russian team but again I think that would be farfetched.
And why should The IIHF help the NHL? The IIHF should work for it's members. Not an outside league.

Last edited by fredrikstad: 11-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.
fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Wow, people are really freaking out over this. Let's look at this logically:

1) Duh. Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are 2 of the best players in the world. Of course the owners want them to stay.

2) How did this turn to "They don't care", "they won't come back", etc, etc. These are the owner's quotes, it has nothing to do with the players. For all we know, all of the Russian players have absolutely no intention of staying there and can't wait to come back.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:13 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
who says that Ovie etc wants to break NHL contracts? If they come to KHL, they will TERMINATE contracts in NHL earlier. IIHF can do nothing
Good luck convincing the teams to let them out of their contracts.

This should be fun. Russia can't do ****. These contracts were signed in the US under US labor law. They'll be crushed. The IIHF suspending them from international play will be brilliant as well.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:15 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post

1) Duh. Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are 2 of the best players in the world. Of course the owners want them to stay.

2) How did this turn to "They don't care", "they won't come back", etc, etc. These are the owner's quotes, it has nothing to do with the players. For all we know, all of the Russian players have absolutely no intention of staying there and can't wait to come back.
Just Ovie has been spewing off about possibly staying...the Caps must be thrilled...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post

Several weeks ago Ovi made some comments that he may stay in Russia if the league cut his pay.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Harry Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post

I'm honestly asking: when did they threat ignoring their contracts? Because you certainly are not speaking about the linked article this thread is about, since there is no such statement at all.

Harry Waters is offline   Reply With Quote