Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Norfolk vs. Binghamton

Old
11-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
I noticed him on the PK.

I've never seen him as having more than a third liner's offensive toolkit, so I'm not sure what everyone was expecting.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Elvs

On Norfolk's message board I've seen no complaints about Vatanen in any GDT, and even if he was playing bad there's no way Yawney would scratch him. There must be an indisclosed injury. Benching him could just as well ruin all the confidence he has.

As for the goaltending, Andersen was the best goalie in the SEL last year and should hands down be better than Bobkov. His 94.3 svs% from last season should be amongst the best in history of the league. Now, I know he hasn't been all that impressive this season, but I expect him to let in less softies soon. Anything else would be a failure.

Last edited by Elvs: 11-11-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:36 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Let's hope sitting Vatanen sent the message that Yawney wanted it to. It sure as hell didn't improve team defense.

They're a bad defensive team. They're also a weak physical team.
or maybe he's managing his roster because the ducks or admirals don't want certain players playing 3 games in a row?

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:00 AM
Carelton CA

Out of town this AM and didn't see the feed. Just some comments after reading this thread and the box score.

From what I've seen, this team has very few guys willing to play a physical game, not just a fight, but willing to finish their checks. Let's stop sitting back and play some attack hockey and use our speed. I thought the theory Bruce, Bob and the org had was "we are going to have 4 lines that can skate and play". I love Rosehill for what he does but he does not need to play every night, this is a development league and he is fully developed. Not every night is going to be a slug fest. That said, DSP has got to play a more physical game night in and night out. Right now they are not a tough team to play against.

Why were Sami and Wagner out of the line up last night? Rest? Both are key to the special teams one on the PP and one on the PK and face-offs. Then the big mystery, why was Holland not on the 1st PP. I understand trying to get some guys going offensively, but Holland should be on the ice anytime there's a man advantage for as long as he wants.

I'm a big Bobkov fan but that is his 2nd really bad performance in a row. Except for the post saving his life last week 4 or 5 times, he would have been pulled in that game as well. May be time to get a 3rd goalie in for a couple of weeks to see if that motivates him.

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
or maybe he's managing his roster because the ducks or admirals don't want certain players playing 3 games in a row?
At least one person heard it was a "maintenance day." So, who knows. I'd rather him play than not, if he's not injured. He's a young guy: sit the 33 year-olds.

edit - uh, I didn't put all those "yo's" in there. But I'm leaving them in because they're funny.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:29 AM
ElHefe

Will there be a stream for tonight's Springfield-game? Do you guys think Vatanen will play? I heard that he was benched last night because of a headache.

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

"Headache" is like the 4th different story we've heard. The Admirals don't seem to have a beat writer. We're left with random comments made by announcers from whatever stream we can pirate. It's not ideal.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

If a 21 year old guy needs a "maintenance" day a handful of games into the season something just doesn't smell right. Maintenance days are for catchers over 30 and most other pro athletes over 35.

I need maintenance days...Sami shouldn't.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:40 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
Will there be a stream for tonight's Springfield-game? Do you guys think Vatanen will play? I heard that he was benched last night because of a headache.
I've got one of those. Funny enough, not because of hockey

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
If a 21 year old guy needs a "maintenance" day a handful of games into the season something just doesn't smell right. Maintenance days are for catchers over 30 and most other pro athletes over 35.

I need maintenance days...Sami shouldn't.
Well, Vatanen is an undersized D-man, and the NA game is more physical than what he's used to. He's probably getting knocked around a bit. It seems more of a challenge for the smaller defensemen to stay healthy.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Well, Vatanen is an undersized D-man, and the NA game is more physical than what he's used to. He's probably getting knocked around a bit. It seems more of a challenge for the smaller defensemen to stay healthy.
I agree that for smaller players to make it in the NHL, they have to learn how to avoid taking a constant pounding. But I would still make the case that for his age and where we are in the season he shouldn't need a maintenance day.

Perhaps we are just talking semantics. I can see where a young, small player just learning the NA game could benefit from a night in the press box studying what he has been told and is experiencing, but having nothing to do with his physical condition.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I agree that for smaller players to make it in the NHL, they have to learn how to avoid taking a constant pounding. But I would still make the case that for his age and where we are in the season he shouldn't need a maintenance day.

Perhaps we are just talking semantics. I can see where a young, small player just learning the NA game could benefit from a night in the press box studying what he has been told and is experiencing, but having nothing to do with his physical condition.
No, I agree. I wasn't trying to disagree with you, so much as point out he's probably feeling the difference in the leagues. I wouldn't be surprised to find out, at all, that his on-ice performance the past three games had as much to do with him sitting out a game. Like you said, a young player like that doesn't usually need a maintenance day, and if we were talking about an injury that would keep him out of the line-up, you'd expect him to need more than just one night off.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably a combination. Hypothetically, say he tweaked something in the prior game. The coaches are also unhappy with his performance during the last three games. They give him the night off to pull himself together, but also for the so-called maintenance day. In essence, they scratch him for the game without letting people know he's being scratched.

Pure speculation on my part, and probably over-thinking it, but I could see the appeal. It's a good way to send a young kid a message without making it public.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Elvs

Scratching a player, especially with the talent he has (he knows he should be among the best players on the team) and at his age, could just as well make him play worse.

Usually when someone struggles, the first thing that comes to mind for a fan is "omg, bench him!". But many coaches often decides to do the complete opposite, get the player back out on the ice immedieately after a horrendous play that led to a goal against.

I'd know I'd prefer the later treatment, hopefully make a good shift and just forget about the mistake... Rather than sitting on the bench thinking about my error(s) and knowing that I'll be under close watch my next shift. I know from playing soccer I always hated getting critized by teammates (from the coach it's easier to take). A: It would only make me play worse and B: I know when I'm playing bad, I don't need somebody else to tell me.

It's about pressing the right buttons for specific players. If Yawney actually scratched Vatanen the other day, hopefully he knew that was the right button...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Paul4587

I think everyone is reading too much in to it. In all likelihood he had a minor injury/illness and the coaching staff/Vatanen himself thought he was better off sitting out a game. I highly doubt he was being benched to send a message because Vatanen at his worst is still better than half the Norfolk blueline.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote