HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-10-2012, 04:51 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
So i just did some goal-horn analysis (bored as ****) and I found that of our winning OT goals last year

Ponikarovsky - 26s
Henrique - 25s
Zajac - 21s

I am surprised by my findings. I don't remember the horn after Henrique scored in real life...oh what a night

Anyway, no other place to put this ridiculous tidbit of information so here you go. you're all a bit more knowing know
While we're on the topic, what was with the horn going slightly flat sometimes when it would be sounded after goals?

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
While we're on the topic, what was with the horn going slightly flat sometimes when it would be sounded after goals?
If I remember right for the playoffs they used actual airhorns and not the mp3 sounds. Seemed like there was always issues charging those things up...a cpl times when we scored 2 goals quick the horn was hilariously under charged.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Kovalchuk's goal in game 3 against Philly comes to mind. Only the higher note horn was playing by the last blast. Sounded like a truck horn lol.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:32 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
If I remember right for the playoffs they used actual airhorns and not the mp3 sounds. Seemed like there was always issues charging those things up...a cpl times when we scored 2 goals quick the horn was hilariously under charged.
The Pandolfo goal in the Toronto comeback game was like that. By the third blast, the horn was practically out of air.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

It was really weak when they used the Meadowlands horn for game 3 against Florida. I barely heard it in the building. The fact that they used the sound clip, and the fact the crowd was wild. I heard it more during the waived off goal which the fans were taken out of the game long before that.

I wonder why they stopped using for when game 4 came? Cause we lost that game? Or were 0-2 with it this year including the dreadful St Patty's Day retro game?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Kovalchuk's goal in game 3 against Philly comes to mind. Only the higher note horn was playing by the last blast. Sounded like a truck horn lol.
I was at that game and a lot of the horn sounding the way it did had to do with the level of crowd noise (remember NBC has the mics all over unlike MSG) - it was one of the loudest I've heard the arena live after a goal in the new building

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
I was at that game and a lot of the horn sounding the way it did had to do with the level of crowd noise (remember NBC has the mics all over unlike MSG) - it was one of the loudest I've heard the arena live after a goal in the new building

Makes me miss Poni He might not have been great at any one particular thing, but he was a smart player with a big frame that he used to his advantage. I think NJ was the perfect fit for him...

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:56 AM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Makes me miss Poni He might not have been great at any one particular thing, but he was a smart player with a big frame that he used to his advantage. I think NJ was the perfect fit for him...
poni was good for what he brought to the team. like ive said before he's the kind of guy you use for puck possession down low. even the leafs knew this and had a line of him sundin and antropov. those guys could hold the puck forever in the corners in the offensive zone.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
I'd be a lot more comfortable with our forward situation if he was re-signed, he loved being here, wanted to stay, but he couldn't wait for a contract (**** you zach) and a deal came along to play with one of his best friends in 'peg so he took it up

Also, HOF weekend is coming up and here is a nice article about Oates

Quote:
After a year in Tampa, Oates joined the Devils' coaching staff. In the summer of 2011, Peter DeBoer took over as head coach. DeBoer acknowledged that as he prepared to meet with Oates in the offseason, he was predisposed to not bringing him back so he could assemble his own staff.

"Two hours later, I walked out and I said, 'This is a guy I want to work with and have to have back,'" DeBoer told ESPN.com recently.

"He's very honest. He's very forthright. He's got very strong opinions. He really coaches like he played, and he was a very unselfish player. He's a smart guy. I think he's going to transition well [to being a full-time coach]."

Oates knew his coaching career might have stalled a year ago when DeBoer took over.

"I'm a logical guy. I know he's going to have shortcomings about me. He doesn't know me. He's coming into a new team and I just wanted to let him know from the opening get-go that I got your back. I got information. You want it, you got it. You want me to just stand here, you got it. I'm an assistant coach, I know what my responsibilities are, I will support you," Oates said.

"I said to him, the only thing is, look, I'm not going to lie to you, there's a time in my life when I want to be a head coach. I don't want your job, but I want when someone calls you, you say, 'yeah, Oatsy's good,' that's my goal."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ull-nhl-career

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:47 AM
hlaverty06

What happens at the end of Marty's and Moose's 2 years? Does Marty get another year to mentor the next goalie or do we go straight to our next 2 goalies?

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Poni was a good fit as a Devil, but it's not terribly difficult to find guys like him available at the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
What happens at the end of Marty's and Moose's 2 years? Does Marty get another year to mentor the next goalie or do we go straight to our next 2 goalies?
It depends on how ready Lou thinks Wedge or Kinkaid are to take over, and it depends on how much Marty has left. I think they will play it by ear, but right now my instinct is that Marty will retire at the end of this contract and one of the kids will take over. If he stays on past that, it will be as a veteran backup to help the new guy transition.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:12 AM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post

That's still probably my favorite goal from the playoffs, if only for the atmosphere around it. Only 20 seconds after tying the game, the roof blowing off the Rock, the crowd erupting, Kovy celebrating like a madman. Awesome.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

This one`s my favorite.

Man, this gotta be the best PP goal we scored since... I remember.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
I swear that's Josefson's goal.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
poni was good for what he brought to the team. like ive said before he's the kind of guy you use for puck possession down low. even the leafs knew this and had a line of him sundin and antropov. those guys could hold the puck forever in the corners in the offensive zone.
Exactly. Other teams expected him to be a first and second liner and he massively dissapointed. Here, he played a third line role, like he should be in.

Zippy316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:55 AM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I swear that's Josefson's goal.
I'm sure even if it was he woulda given it to Sal anyway. Like how Kovy's goal against Philly in game 5 went off of Zajac's stick slightly but they didn't mention anything to change it. It's still one of my favorite things about last year's team, how much they all honestly got along and would've done anything for each other.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:57 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Not to go off topic here but what ever happend with that "lawsuit" regarding the ear-bleeding intro "Rise"?

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Not to go off topic here but what ever happend with that "lawsuit" regarding the ear-bleeding intro "Rise"?
What lawsuit?

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I forgot all about that. Not sure though.

I miss Poni too. He was streaky offensively, but I would have felt better if we kept him too. Could be a cheap 10-15 goals, and plus his other game. Winnipeg only had to sign him for a year at $1.6 million or something. I'm sure if he waited in line with Marty, Sal, and Moose for a day at least before we made our final offer to captain ******* we could have re signed him. It was brought up maybe they wanted to make an example to someone expendable about the TMZ crap.

We really could use him in our system. A perfect player for it.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:03 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
What lawsuit?

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
What lawsuit?

He's doing it wrong. The concrete goes on the shoes, not everything but the shoes.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:26 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
What lawsuit?

Thats epic

Old
11-11-2012, 12:39 PM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Going through some playoff videos on youtube and found this clip of Kovalchuk now I don't know if this was what injured him but he backs into the glass on the left of your screen at around the 0:06 mark of the video. He does jump to celebrate his goal but tell me what you think about what happend I think this might be what started that nagging lower body injury of his?

Old
11-11-2012, 12:43 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

Quote:
Going through some playoff videos on youtube and found this clip of Kovalchuk now I don't know if this was what injured him but he backs into the glass on the left of your screen at around the 0:06 mark of the video. He does jump to celebrate his goal but tell me what you think about what happend I think this might be what started that nagging lower body injury of his?
Kovy was looking less than 100% before the playoffs though, if I remember correctly. At the time we thought he was just taking it easy with a playoff spot locked up and only a few games left in the regular season.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Krys Barch ‏@krysbarch
Good way to get #Canadians interested in #NHL again after hockey would be to let #GaryBettman be relieved of his position?

Scotty K ‏@Scottyk9
@krysbarch are you trying to get yourself unemployed...?

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote