HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
11-09-2012, 12:21 AM
TheAntiPrice

vCash: 500
Apparently you can earn some free space on dropbox through your university? You just have to give its email address, anybody know what Concordia's email is?

https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace/top/country/ca

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got recruited in an accounting firm. *sigh* Now I can rest peacefully.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:34 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Congratulations!

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:28 AM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Congratulations! Would you mind telling me what accounting firm it is?

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
Congratulations! Would you mind telling me what accounting firm it is?
I kinda do because they only hired 3 students (medium size firm) and I don't want to have my online HF account made public

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
I am a second year student in 'Science de la nature' and would like to know if you have any opinion on Calculus Three (Calcul différentiel et intégral III) and Statistics (Probabilités et statistiques). I am thinking about going in actuary or comptability or any other maths/stats domain in university. Which course could help me the most in University?
Multi-variable calculus can be challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Dude, I'm an astronomer too, awesome !!

It's a great field to be in, and all the ones you list are good choices.

Exoplanets are a very hot topic now, and neutron stars and white dwarves have a high potential to be hot topics. All are good choices, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just go where you feel the most comfortable, i.e. where you'll be most productive.

I have never heard anybody say anything negative about Andrew *******. Haha, the website filters his British name.

"Extragalactic physics" is broad, I'm not sure what it means. It's a hot topic in that it's like 70% of astronomy in North America, so you can get a lot of citations on a high tide, but a lot of it is garbage and it may be hard to stand out on the basis of quality of work.

BTW, you don't necessarily need to know your thesis topic on day one ...
The one whose surname is filtered out to is one of those I'd like to work under at McGill, but there's also Kaspi or Rutledge for what is it that I want to do. One of the profs I had as an undergrad is a prof that collaborates with that guy on a regular basis.

For Tufts (and most US grad schools), subject selection can wait until one year into a PhD program, and American grad schools that offer Master's degree programs in physics are usually non-thesis. But for Canadian schools, you need to have at least an idea of what you want to work, as well as a supervisor, to actually matriculate at the MSc level, let alone the PhD level.

BTW, my dog is dead for attending an American PhD program, including Tufts, since I will not be able to take the Physics GRE on time and the earliest I could take one is in April and deadlines for Fall admission of international students at US schools are in December (Tufts) or in January. However, there is that prof at Tufts that somehow acknowledged that Quebecer undergraduate physics programs were rigorous, and even better than many American undergraduate BSc programs.

Plus, for the April Physics GRE, I have to go to either Kingston or to somewhere in upstate NY or Vermont to take it, since Montreal, which does have a GRE testing center, does NOT offer the Physics GRE (presumably since the Educational Testing Service thinks that most Quebecer students who want to go to grad school for physics are staying in Canada to do so, and no Canadian school in its right mind that offer Physics at the graduate level would ask for it). In short: I hate the ETS!

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:48 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
The one whose surname is filtered out to is one of those I'd like to work under at McGill, but there's also Kaspi or Rutledge for what is it that I want to do. One of the profs I had as an undergrad is a prof that collaborates with that guy on a regular basis.
Oh Rutledge, poutine-lover astronomer. Pretty much what I remember from his class. Oh, and that he tweets too.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:47 AM
guest1467

Oh man, the GRE. **** that test.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Oh Rutledge, poutine-lover astronomer. Pretty much what I remember from his class. Oh, and that he tweets too.
What course did you have with Rutledge?

Old
11-11-2012, 11:03 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
What course did you have with Rutledge?
PHYS 340, Electricity and Magnetism. I had to either take this courseor Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics. I hate both electromagnetism and thermodynamics so I took the one I had a chance of understanding.

EDIT: Oh crap, I just remembered I had done both courses. McGill made me miserable at times.

Last edited by ThaDevilGirl: 11-11-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 05:54 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
PHYS 340, Electricity and Magnetism. I had to either take this courseor Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics. I hate both electromagnetism and thermodynamics so I took the one I had a chance of understanding.

EDIT: Oh crap, I just remembered I had done both courses. McGill made me miserable at times.
God I hate those 2 classes. At least thermo isn't as bad but my teacher can be a dick at times.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:47 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Multi-variable calculus can be challenging.

For Tufts (and most US grad schools), subject selection can wait until one year into a PhD program, and American grad schools that offer Master's degree programs in physics are usually non-thesis. But for Canadian schools, you need to have at least an idea of what you want to work, as well as a supervisor, to actually matriculate at the MSc level, let alone the PhD level.

BTW, my dog is dead for attending an American PhD program, including Tufts, since I will not be able to take the Physics GRE on time and the earliest I could take one is in April and deadlines for Fall admission of international students at US schools are in December (Tufts) or in January. However, there is that prof at Tufts that somehow acknowledged that Quebecer undergraduate physics programs were rigorous, and even better than many American undergraduate BSc programs.

Plus, for the April Physics GRE, I have to go to either Kingston or to somewhere in upstate NY or Vermont to take it, since Montreal, which does have a GRE testing center, does NOT offer the Physics GRE (presumably since the Educational Testing Service thinks that most Quebecer students who want to go to grad school for physics are staying in Canada to do so, and no Canadian school in its right mind that offer Physics at the graduate level would ask for it). In short: I hate the ETS!
I took a GRE in physics at McGill in the Trottier building in the fall of 2006. The room was packed, I'm not sure why they got rid of it. I went through the joint honours program in math/phys, as far as I know all my classmates got 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, on the GRE, which is very high. I meet a lot of people from the USA who got 30s or so.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of your options. There are high-quality people at both the schools.

I know this is hard to believe: but try and focus more on the environment there than the prestige of the schools or the individuals or whatever. It does matter who your supervisor, but it matters a lot more who you are, so that means focus on whichever subject interests you more.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-12-2012 at 01:35 AM.
DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I took a GRE in physics at McGill in the Trottier building in the fall of 2006. The room was packed, I'm not sure why they got rid of it. I went through the joint honours program in math/phys, as far as I know all my classmates got 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, on the GRE, which is very high. I meet a lot of people from the USA who got 30s or so.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of your options. There are high-quality people at both the schools.

I know this is hard to believe: but try and focus more on the environment there than the prestige of the schools or the individuals or whatever. It does matter who your supervisor, but it matters a lot more who you are, so that means focus on whichever subject interests you more.
And even if the Physics GRE was still offered in Montreal, the April date is full for Montreal and further dates have not been released just yet.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Hades

Anyone studying business here? I'm thinking of changing to that next semester. What are the classes like? Is it interesting? What should I expect?

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:14 AM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Apparently you can earn some free space on dropbox through your university? You just have to give its email address, anybody know what Concordia's email is?

https://www.dropbox.com/spacerace/top/country/ca
yeah my dropbox is at 21GB now. wooohoo !

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Huge94

Anyone here not in Science (engineering, Physics etc.)? Anyone in Philosophy, Literature, Anthropology etc.? I myself am in English literature at UdeM and would like to know if I'm the only one in Arts and the likes.

Huge94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Optimus Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge94 View Post
Anyone here not in Science (engineering, Physics etc.)? Anyone in Philosophy, Literature, Anthropology etc.? I myself am in English literature at UdeM and would like to know if I'm the only one in Arts and the likes.
I'm in what some may call "sciences molles". Certificate in Criminology, UdeM, part-time.

Optimus Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
MA Information Studies McGill

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 07:49 PM
WHATaboutLOVE

I didn't want to start another thread just for a small question, but I'm in a french CEGEP and in my advanced english class I have to read a novel by a canadian author, In english.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Where can I buy ENGLISH books in Montreal ? the book store near my house only has french books, so I'd really like some store names. (side question: do you know if there are english versions of Patrick Sénécal' books, and where ?)

2. Any suggestions ? I'm allowed to pick books from french-canadian authors, but I have to have an english version of it.

WHATaboutLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATaboutLOVE View Post
I didn't want to start another thread just for a small question, but I'm in a french CEGEP and in my advanced english class I have to read a novel by a canadian author, In english.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Where can I buy ENGLISH books in Montreal ? the book store near my house only has french books, so I'd really like some store names. (side question: do you know if there are english versions of Patrick Sénécal' books, and where ?)

2. Any suggestions ? I'm allowed to pick books from french-canadian authors, but I have to have an english version of it.
Go to Chapters downtown. Plenty of english books.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:30 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Any of you guys went to CEGEP in Administration/Marketing or something along those lines? If so which CEGEP? I'm most likely going to go to Vanier cause of its proximity, but some of my friends say Dawson is a better environment

Anyone know if there's a lot of students coming out of French highschools that go to English CEGEP's? I speak both fluently, but am just curious to know if there will just be English students, or lots of Bilingual ones. I Heard theres a lot of French Canadians since the schools normally got adapted english "levels" to suit every student, especially at Vanier, where (apparantly) they let students write their texts in french if they wish to.

As well, I'm not sure what exactly I want to do. I know its something in administration/marketing, but I don't want to do too much PR. I like making decisions, but having someone narrow them down for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 11-25-2012 at 08:38 PM.
LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Any of you guys went to CEGEP in Administration/Marketing or something along those lines? If so which CEGEP? I'm most likely going to go to Vanier cause of its proximity, but some of my friends say Dawson is a better environment
I don't know about that program, but if you live close to Vanier, the proximity is an incredibly underrated factor. Even when I had class at 8AM, living close to Vanier allowed me to only have to wake up at 7:30.

Dawson is of course so much livelier because of proximity to downtown. Vanier is good is your the chill out with friends but don't need to be "doing" something type.

Quote:
Anyone know if there's a lot of students coming out of French highschools that go to English CEGEP's? I speak both fluently, but am just curious to know if there will just be English students, or lots of Bilingual ones. I Heard theres a lot of French Canadians since the schools normally got adapted english "levels" to suit every student, especially at Vanier, where (apparantly) they let students write their texts in french if they wish to.
Mostly bilingual. But expect to encounter people who are weak at French. In my time at Vanier no one really struggled at English but I notcied some were pretty weak at French.

Quote:
As well, I'm not sure what exactly I want to do. I know its something in administration/marketing, but I don't want to do too much PR. I like making decisions, but having someone narrow them down for me. Any suggestions?
Can't help you there. Sorry.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 08:53 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Mostly bilingual. But expect to encounter people who are weak at French. In my time at Vanier no one really struggled at English but I notcied some were pretty weak at French.

Can't help you there. Sorry.
Yeah my school "councelor" helps us a lot. Told us that proximity was so important and whatnot. Went on 3 hours having people come and talk about certain stuff. I was mostly intrigued by the students that were in my school the year before, and came to talk about their move to CEGEP. One girl said that she went to Vanier, and there were lots of people who spoke French over English, which surprised me.

Thanks though I'm up for more suggestions as always

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Adamcrazy3

Anyone here ever took Nada El-Hassan as a teacher for COMM308 (Finance)? I need some feedback on her because she's not on ratemyprofessors.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 07:21 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge94 View Post
Comparative Politics at McGill.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote