HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be willing to lose the year for MacKinnon?

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to lose the year for MacKinnon?
Yes 96 70.07%
No 41 29.93%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
If we were guaranteed Mackinnon, Yes. If we are betting on chances, No.

Although, this is a set-up that I would like for this draft. So there is 7 teams with 3 balls, right? So then the 1st 7 picks are put in a lottery with those teams, and they get their spots. Then about 13 with 2? then next 13 are in a lottery with those. and remainder with 1 is put to a draw. Thoughts?

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:01 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
So we have absolutely no chance to finish bottom 5, despite the fact we haven't finished better than 22nd since 2007?

A shortened season doesn't mean anything. What if we start like we did just a few seasons ago (2009-2010). We will be almost guarenteed last. The pressure will be on every game since we have less games. Who knows how we will play especially as a young team. But saying 0 percent of finishing bottom 5 despite having a 2nd last finish and a bottom 5 finish in the past 3 seasons?
That's great except nobody said what you just did except you.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

I'm of the opinion that if we're top 10 we should trade up (I know it will be very expensive) for MacKinnon.

This is the year. The likely #1 is a good ol' Canadian boy center. Get it done!

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I'm of the opinion that if we're top 10 we should trade up (I know it will be very expensive) for MacKinnon.

This is the year. The likely #1 is a good ol' Canadian boy center. Get it done!
No one will trade that pick in my opinion. Even Edmonton with all those forwards they have taken in past years.I wonder last time #1 was traded? Lindros im guessing. He forced it though. Leafs almost did it 2 years ago.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:25 AM
IBeL13f

Am I the only one who would rather someone like Barkov or Monahan? Someone with more size and who is touted more for their defensive game than goal-scoring ability or pure offence, that's the kind of guy I want centering Kessel.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Am I the only one who would rather someone like Barkov or Monahan? Someone with more size and who is touted more for their defensive game than goal-scoring ability or pure offence, that's the kind of guy I want centering Kessel.
Barkov and Monahan would both be very nice as well.

I think Mackinnon is a very, very special player though; from what I've seen.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
MONAHAN. Tbh even though it should be the opposite, I'd be more happy with him than Mackinnon. Local GTA kid, longtime leaffan, powerforward 1st line C, perfect for this team and Burke. And Cherry, as he wouldn't be able to say anything now.

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Any one of Barkov, Monahan, Shinkaruk, Drouin or Mackinnon would be awesome. I'm still hoping for us to play the season though, I miss NHL hockey.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:30 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
We probably have a better chance if we actually play some hockey.
not so sure about I believe while we may not have gotten better washington nj habs sens sabres flyers couple others got worse

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:41 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post

Although, this is a set-up that I would like for this draft. So there is 7 teams with 3 balls, right? So then the 1st 7 picks are put in a lottery with those teams, and they get their spots. Then about 13 with 2? then
next 13 are in a lottery with those.
and remainder with 1 is put to a draw. Thoughts?
I don't think there are 7 teams that would get .3 balls

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:43 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Why don't we just agree that season or not, 1st overall is unlikely and be done with it.
Well if there's no season, statistically we gave a very good chance.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
No one will trade that pick in my opinion. Even Edmonton with all those forwards they have taken in past years.I wonder last time #1 was traded? Lindros im guessing. He forced it though. Leafs almost did it 2 years ago.
Within the past ten years alone there's a team that traded back to back #1 overalls.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
I always prefer the more well rounded.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:14 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
I think it was Rick Nash. Florida traded the pick to the CBJ because they wanted JBo if I recall correctly.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

I'd most definately lose the season for MacKinnon. I'd even lose it for Barkov or Monahan.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:06 AM
DionPhaneuf3

Honestly i wanna see a year of NHL hockey, but that would be whats best for the team. Realistically Leafs still aren't contenders this year, drafting MacKinnon would be HUGE for us.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Kibago

to have a 'great chance?' meh, not really.

if we were placed #1 on a traditional draft board (guaranteeing us #1 or #2) then i would vote yes. but with the system they used last lockout, we could end up anywhere!

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Kibago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post

Although, this is a set-up that I would like for this draft. So there is 7 teams with 3 balls, right? So then the 1st 7 picks are put in a lottery with those teams, and they get their spots. Then about 13 with 2? then next 13 are in a lottery with those. and remainder with 1 is put to a draw. Thoughts?
This makes a lot of sense. please forward it to the NHL.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:05 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
That's great except nobody said what you just did except you.
Um actually someone did try reading. "I think there's a 0 percent chance we finish last if there is a 2012-2013 season".

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Um actually someone did try reading. "I think there's a 0 percent chance we finish last if there is a 2012-2013 season".
Perhaps I'll rephrase: you quoted ME and nowhere did I say that.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:11 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibago View Post
to have a 'great chance?' meh, not really.

if we were placed #1 on a traditional draft board (guaranteeing us #1 or #2) then i would vote yes. but with the system they used last lockout, we could end up anywhere!
We could end up anywhere, but the last draft with Crosby saw a 3 ball team win the lottery (Pittsbugh). I like our statistical chances as not many teams will have 3 balls.

I also think the people claiming the Leafs have a better chance if the season is played are judging the team by how the season ended. they were a playoff team for a majority of the season. No way are teams like Columbus or the Islanders better.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:12 AM
mapes

Quote:
2003 was the last time, though with the stars going first every year due to scouting and development I doubt many do now. Oilers might if they have it in 2013 but who knows. 99 I believe the first was traded too (Burke was doing plenty of moving that year) and in 2002 making it 3 in 5 years.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I also think the people claiming the Leafs have a better chance if the season is played are judging the team by how the season ended. they were a playoff team for a majority of the season. No way are teams like Columbus or the Islanders better.
The Leafs finished 29th in goals against with Reimer, Gustavsson and Scrivens last year.

Now we have Reimer and Scrivens only, minus the goalie that posted the most wins Gustavsson (17), which is the least experienced goaltending in the league now with less than 100 games combined. Scrivens is even struggling on the Marlies at present in the AHL.

Where would you rank Leafs goaltending among the rest of the league, at the most critical position to win consistently?.

If you place them in the bottom 5 of the league, then you can understand why people believe a bottom 5 finish is entirely possible.

11-11-2012, 12:17 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The Leafs finished 29th in goals against with Reimer, Gustavsson and Scrivens last year.

Now we have Reimer and Scrivens only, minus the goalie that posted the most wins Gustavsson (17), which is the least experienced goaltending in the league now with less than 100 games combined. Scrivens is even struggling on the Marlies at present in the AHL.

Where would you rank Leafs goaltending among the rest of the league, at the most critical position to win consistently?.

If you place them in the bottom 5 of the league, then you can understand why people believe a bottom 5 finish is entirely possible.
I'm just saying that I like the chances more with a cancelled season and the Leafs having 3 balls than a chance at half a season where the team could surprise.

If Carlyle implimentes a better defensive system, we could see those GA numbers rise easily.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I'm just saying that I like the chances more with a cancelled season and the Leafs having 3 balls than a chance at half a season where the team could surprise.

If Carlyle implimentes a better defensive system, we could see those GA numbers rise easily.
With no season all 30 teams have a chance at drafting #1 overall.

With a season and based on the final standings only the bottom 5 teams have a chance at #1 overall.

30 teams verses 5 teams for #1 overall possibility. Leafs could draft 30th with no season, and they would need to win the Cup in a shortened season to draft 30th.

Based on the Leafs finishing in the bottom 5 in 2 of the past 3 seasons, one has to believe that another bottom 5 finish is highly possible. There is getter odds of finishing in the bottom 5 and competing with 4 other teams for Mackinnon than competing against 30 teams in a weighted lottery with no season.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote