HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Danny Taylor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2012, 01:00 AM
  #1
flameaholic
Registered User
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Danny Taylor

Just wondering what people thought of him. He's been one of the best goalies in the AHL since last season. Still only 26 years old. Former 7th round pick of the Los Angeles Kings.

Troy G. Ward, Head Coach of the Abbotsford Heat believes Taylor will play in the NHL someday, just might not be with the Flames.

Thoughts? Does Danny Taylor have NHL potential?

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:50 AM
  #2
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,949
vCash: 500
No.

Inconsistant goalie.

Played one game (read; one period) for the Kings when he was very good in the AHL as well. That year the Kings used 7 goalies and Danny Taylor wasn't NHL ready and I doubt he is now.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:14 PM
  #3
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
No.

Inconsistant goalie.

Played one game (read; one period) for the Kings when he was very good in the AHL as well. That year the Kings used 7 goalies and Danny Taylor wasn't NHL ready and I doubt he is now.
I disagree, I in no way think he will be a star in the nhl but he could very well be a backup. Just because when he was 21 with a total of 23 ahl games experience he wasn't nhl ready does not mean that now he isn't. There are so few goalies that can make the NHL at 21 so to say that because at 21 he had a bad period in the nhl he will never make the nhl is a bad argument.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
  #4
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Just because when he was 21 with a total of 23 ahl games experience he wasn't nhl ready does not mean that now he isn't. There are so few goalies that can make the NHL at 21 so to say that because at 21 he had a bad period in the nhl he will never make the nhl is a bad argument.
Argument ? That was a piece of information.

Inconsistency, age and that good numbers in the AHL mean nothing to me, that's my argument.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:13 PM
  #5
Money Baer
Unsustainable
 
Money Baer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westeros
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 50
I think a lot has changed in his game since he was 21. He has way more experience, and might be ready for a shot in a back up role. It's silly to condemn him because of inconsistent play and one bad period 5yrs ago. He has proven to be CONSISTENT with the Heat, and has earned a shot to prove himself at the next level imo.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
  #6
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Argument ? That was a piece of information.

Inconsistency, age and that good numbers in the AHL mean nothing to me, that's my argument.
Fine its ****** logic.

Since he played in the nhl he has SV of .920 and a GAA of 2.14 in the AHL. How is that inconsistent as I said you logic sucks.


Last edited by TheHudlinator: 11-11-2012 at 02:47 PM.
TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
  #7
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,949
vCash: 500
I've followed Danny Taylor when he was still a Kings prospect and a little thereafter. He was never labeled as a quality goaltender but surprisingly did very well sometimes. Unfortunately he just lacks potential. That's why he was a late round pick and have yet to do anything in the NHL.

Its not silly to bring up his inconsistent play. Its a fact (check his history) and otherwise it is my opinion. 40 games with a new team in the AHL wont change that either. I dont have anything against Danny.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Fine its ****** logic.
Move this over to the Flames board if nobody is allowed to share a different view.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:49 PM
  #8
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Move this over to the Flames board if nobody is allowed to share a different view.
You can disagree that he would make the nhl that's fine but don't use the fact that because he had 1 bad period at 21 means he can't make it as a point.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:05 PM
  #9
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
You can disagree that he would make the nhl that's fine but don't use the fact that because he had 1 bad period at 21 means he can't make it as a point.
For the 2nd time, I didnt use that as argument. I've re-read that comment 12 times now and dont understand why people keep saying this.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:19 PM
  #10
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,744
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
For the 2nd time, I didnt use that as argument. I've re-read that comment 12 times now and dont understand why people keep saying this.
It's because its the same guy and he's a massive homer.


For the record, he played pretty well from what I've seen... But he's not the first guy to do well in the AHL

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
  #11
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,928
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
For the 2nd time, I didnt use that as argument. I've re-read that comment 12 times now and dont understand why people keep saying this.
It comes off as saying that because he wasn't ready then and he was good in the ahl then, than because he is good in the ahl now he still isn't ready.

Also he is not inconsistent.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:05 PM
  #12
flameaholic
Registered User
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Also he is not inconsistent.
Quite the opposite actually. He's been highly consistent since joining the Heat. He's essentially Abbotsford's version of Miikka Kiprusoff.

I'd love to see him get another shot in the NHL someday, and it could come as early as next season (2013-2014).

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:08 PM
  #13
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.
 
Walkingthroughforest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 500
How many "star" AHL goalies translate that success to the NHL? Goalies like Taylor are a dime a dozen. The Heat have one of the best defenses in the AHL this season.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:29 PM
  #14
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,079
vCash: 500
I doubt he makes it to the NHL now, especially at 26, but given Tim Thomas' path to the NHL don't count him out.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
  #15
kirant
Kiprusoffarian
 
kirant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Since he played in the nhl he has SV of .920 and a GAA of 2.14 in the AHL. How is that inconsistent as I said you logic sucks.
Because averages mean nothing on consistency. The average of .918, .919. .920 are the same as .868, .919, and .970. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a standard deviation stat for these sorts of purposes.

That being said, I think Taylor has been outstanding. It has been 5 years since he played for the Kings, and I think 4 since he suited up for the Monarchs. Using data from then is hard. In a similar Flames example, when Giordano left for Russia, we thought it was outrageous to even offer a 1 way contract to him about 5 years ago. How silly we look now. Taylor has proven his point in Abbotsford as a stellar AHL goalie and even looked good behind a mediocre Heat team last year. This year is just a continuation behind a better team.

At this rate, I think he stands a shot at a two way contract and might earn some extra money as a call-up when the regular backup goes down. As a roster regular, I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he contradicts this and does end up an NHL backup. Goaltender projections are so hard to make.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:37 PM
  #16
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,271
vCash: 500
Can someone explain why the coach didn't thinks Taylor may break through just not with the Flames (or if thats the OP's words why you think that)?? Seems to me the Flames could soon be in a place where he would get a shot...

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
  #17
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,186
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Can someone explain why the coach didn't thinks Taylor may break through just not with the Flames (or if thats the OP's words why you think that)?? Seems to me the Flames could soon be in a place where he would get a shot...
Because they've got a substantial number of tenders. Kiprusoff may still be kicking around, Ramo is his expected successor, Irving is the expected backup (lack of playing time on the Heat notwithstanding), and then there are 2-3 kids between the ages of 18 and 21 in Gillies, Brossoit, and Ortio who have, at times, looked like they might end up as NHLers in the next few years. It's the only position in the franchise where I'd say there is a potential backlog.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:46 AM
  #18
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Can someone explain why the coach didn't thinks Taylor may break through just not with the Flames (or if thats the OP's words why you think that)?? Seems to me the Flames could soon be in a place where he would get a shot...
Leland Irving is ahead of Taylor in the depth chart

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
  #19
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
He's played very well, but I don't know where he would get a shot.

The Flames have Irving, Ortio and Ramo in the wings. I'm not sure they'd give Taylor a chance.

Hopefully he gets another opportunity to make it in the NHL with someone, even if it's just as a backup.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
  #20
flameaholic
Registered User
 
flameaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Can someone explain why the coach didn't thinks Taylor may break through just not with the Flames (or if thats the OP's words why you think that)?? Seems to me the Flames could soon be in a place where he would get a shot...
Because as mentioned, the Flames have a lot of depth at the goaltending position. Behind Kipper we have Karri Ramo (Europe), Leland Irving (AHL), Joni Ortio (Europe), Laurent Brossoit (WHL), and Jon Gillies (NCAA).

Plus Taylor technically isn't a Flames prospect. He's only under contract with the Heat.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
  #21
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Because as mentioned, the Flames have a lot of depth at the goaltending position. Behind Kipper we have Karri Ramo (Europe), Leland Irving (AHL), Joni Ortio (Europe), Laurent Brossoit (WHL), and Jon Gillies (NCAA).

Plus Taylor technically isn't a Flames prospect. He's only under contract with the Heat.
Yep. The main reason Taylor is getting a chance to shine is Ramo and Ortio are in Europe. And Irving, because he has been in the NHL, would need to pass through waivers if he dresses for more than 25 Heat games - so the Heat can use Irving but not as a number one.

Gillies and Brossoit are both too young for the AHL.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
  #22
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,539
vCash: 50
I am not sure about Danny Taylor before signing with the Heat, I honestly never heard of him before he signed with us.

But since he signed with Abbotsford he has been pretty consistent game in and game out. In his tenure with Abbotsford he has a mere 4 games where he has allowed more than 3 goals against, and 2 of those were still 30+ save performances.

It is possible his time in the DEL in 2010-11 really matured him as a player. I think he is a longshot to make the NHL at this point, but I definitely would not rule it out either.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:04 AM
  #23
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omzuJ View Post
Leland Irving is ahead of Taylor in the depth chart
No he isn't. Taylor started in the playoffs (so the whole 25 games thing is out the door) and is seeing the heavy lifting this year too. Irving is all but a bust now.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
  #24
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
No he isn't. Taylor started in the playoffs (so the whole 25 games thing is out the door) and is seeing the heavy lifting this year too. Irving is all but a bust now.
Irving was fine in the AHL, but was great as the NHL backup last year. He supplanted Karlsson as the backup - whenever the Flames actually planned for the backup to play Irving was called up and Karlsson would sit out.

Taylor was hot during the playoffs so the Heat stuck with him.

Because of his NHL time, Irving can't really play any more without passing through waivers. If the Flames thought he was a bust they'd just let him play in Abbotsford and expose him.

I'd say Irving has yet to meet expectations, but it's too early to say he's a bust. He'd be the NHL backup now if there was actually a season.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 11:34 AM
  #25
rajuabju
Registered User
 
rajuabju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
I dont think Taylor has ever shown he can be a #1 in the NHL.

Might make a decent backup, but thats probably about it.

Mostly, it just depends on what team might need someone like him on their roster. Backups are relatively easy to find.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.