HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 03:56 PM
The Saurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Now I dont think Rielly is another Luke Schenn, but I'm sure everyone including yourself remembers hearing about his elite defensive skill and play in his own zone, coupled with his physicality. He then had a good world junior and the hype increased.

Schenn was hyped, dont pretend he wasnt. He was the next Adam Foote in most leaf fans eyes.
He was obviously hyped, but he was hyped because of defensive abilities. Those abilities were hardly elite, and there were concerns that Luke's junior dominance wouldn't translate that well to the professional level.

Luke was drafted after his WJC, so Schenn's hype following that tourny was not a result of Leafs fans. Regardless, Schenn was not an elite defender in the WJC by any means. He was good, but not great.

Rielly has elite offensive, decision making, and skating abilities. He's also no slouch in the defensive end either because of those aforementioned abilities.

Morgan Rielly in the WHL >>>> Luke Schenn in the WHL.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:59 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I just remember Schenn being touted as having a top shutdown and physical game. Remember when he was ''The Eraser"... Anyone?
He was a top shutdown defender (read: not elite) in the WHL that had difficulty translating those abilities to the NHL.

Morgan Rielly is dominating the WHL on a level that Luke Schenn never did, though, and it's quite alright for Leafs fans to get very excited.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
I just remember Schenn being touted as having a top shutdown and physical game. Remember when he was ''The Eraser"... Anyone?
Have you even watched him in the NHL? He does have that potential still. He was the Human Eraser two out of four season he was in Toronto.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Leafs03

Feels good to see none Leaf fans praising Rielly lol..

Old
11-11-2012, 04:19 PM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
You're tempering your expectations too much with this comment.
I do like Morgan, but do you really feel the need to play Leaf Defender in every thread?

You've been so wrong in the past, your credibility is zero. Homer x 10. Give it up and enjoy the game.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
He was a top shutdown defender (read: not elite) in the WHL that had difficulty translating those abilities to the NHL.

Morgan Rielly is dominating the WHL on a level that Luke Schenn never did, though, and it's quite alright for Leafs fans to get very excited.
That's right.

People here are very aware of the past two "top picks" the Leafs made though, and most of the Leafs board was pimping them (Schenn, Kadri) out just as much as they are with Rielly right now. It's still fresh in their memories, I think they are annoyed by the hype machine (I know I get annoyed).

I've heard Leafs fans say Gardiner is clearly better than Subban. I've heard the same fans say at the beginning of last season Riemer was potentially to be as good as Carey Price in 2011-12 (I mean... WTF?). A lot of Habs fans are simply annoyed by the backtracking by some of your board as well regarding the whole Rielly v. Galchenyuk, when it was clear on draft day the vast majority of your board wanted Galchenyuk and now all of a sudden a good portion (not all) think they got a better player, and a player that couldve went "1st overall". It's the revisionist history being made by Leafs fans that annoys the hell out of most people when it comes to Rielly. And for arguments sake I'm not saying the Habs definitely got the better player on draft day, that's not something that can be determined so early on, which is again something that some posters on your board got excited by. Rielly went on a tear and Gally was slow out the gate, now the roles are reversed and it's pretty quiet over there?

For what it's worth, I'm a Rielly-fan and I would have been content getting Rielly at #3. But I am even more so content we got Gally. So Cheers to both teams getting great prospects this past June.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:38 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quiet over there? Rielly's on a cold streak the last little while (3 points in his last 8), but anyone who's seen him play knows he's playing just as well offensively as he did at the start of the season. Before last night's game Rielly's team scored 12 goals over 7 games.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 11-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 08:38 PM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
That's right.

People here are very aware of the past two "top picks" the Leafs made though, and most of the Leafs board was pimping them (Schenn, Kadri) out just as much as they are with Rielly right now. It's still fresh in their memories, I think they are annoyed by the hype machine (I know I get annoyed).

I've heard Leafs fans say Gardiner is clearly better than Subban. I've heard the same fans say at the beginning of last season Riemer was potentially to be as good as Carey Price in 2011-12 (I mean... WTF?). A lot of Habs fans are simply annoyed by the backtracking by some of your board as well regarding the whole Rielly v. Galchenyuk, when it was clear on draft day the vast majority of your board wanted Galchenyuk and now all of a sudden a good portion (not all) think they got a better player, and a player that couldve went "1st overall". It's the revisionist history being made by Leafs fans that annoys the hell out of most people when it comes to Rielly. And for arguments sake I'm not saying the Habs definitely got the better player on draft day, that's not something that can be determined so early on, which is again something that some posters on your board got excited by. Rielly went on a tear and Gally was slow out the gate, now the roles are reversed and it's pretty quiet over there?

For what it's worth, I'm a Rielly-fan and I would have been content getting Rielly at #3. But I am even more so content we got Gally. So Cheers to both teams getting great prospects this past June.
I wanted Galchenyuk at the draft. What does that have to do with my thoughts on who is a better player today? Its also not a stretch to say that If Galchenyuk or Rielly played the whole year they might have both challenged for 1st over all.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
If you've watched Schenn play, he did have two good seasons and has been one of the top defensemen/top defenseman in hits in multiple seasons. Still erasing people.

11-11-2012, 09:40 PM
TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's right.

Really? I've never heard that, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.... I'm not a huge fan of Reimer, I think his potential is a great back up or okay starter, something we should improve on...

For the 2nd part, I definitely wanted Galchenyuk with our pick (I really wanted a forward, I was hoping for Galchenyuk, Grigs, then Forsberg) and I knew virtually nothing about Rielly, but considering they both went top 5 with huge season ending injuries it's not unrealistic to say both could challenge for #1 if they played the whole season. Right now I don't know who I prefer between Galchenyuk and Rielly, just that both seem like they will be studs with lots of potential. (If I had to choose between the two it'd probably be Galchenyuk atm, but it could change)

I think there's a lot of hype, but it's mostly warranted... A PPG defenseman on an awful MJ team is a great feat.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
That's right.

Leaf fans were hardly even looking at Murray (consensus number 2) on draft day... Like the Habs we need a C, so our fan base, myself included, hopped on that wagon. I still to this day would prefer Galchenyuk based on positional need, but there is no chance that now or then that you could argue they are not similar calibre players. Its easy to look at things black and white, "Leaf fans jumped on the Rielly train because he was drafted by the Leafs" rather than actually getting to view a player that was on no ones radar, again for positional needs. Again, dont let a few radicals form a stereotype, it accomplishes nothing. I can easily reply with "ive seen Hab fans admit that they prefer Pacioretty over Kessel, just proves how ignorant you guys are" but then again, i have no need to personally attack the fan base.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Leaf fans were hardly even looking at Murray (consensus number 2) on draft day... Like the Habs we need a C, so our fan base, myself included, hopped on that wagon. I still to this day would prefer Galchenyuk based on positional need, but there is no chance that now or then that you could argue they are not similar calibre players. Its easy to look at things black and white, "Leaf fans jumped on the Rielly train because he was drafted by the Leafs" rather than actually getting to view a player that was on no ones radar, again for positional needs. Again, dont let a few radicals form a stereotype, it accomplishes nothing. I can easily reply with "ive seen Hab fans admit that they prefer Pacioretty over Kessel, just proves how ignorant you guys are" but then again, i have no need to personally attack the fan base.
I am not saying they aren't similar caliber players, I actually agree with that line of thinking.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Rielly to Galchenyuk or vice versa. The issue is changing your opinion nearly overnight or using a very small sample size to justify this change in ideology. I just think it's funny that some fans talked smack because Gally was off to a cold start and Rielly was off to a really great start, as the old saying goes: Insert foot in mouth.

Both players will have hot/cold spells over the course of this season, and people need to keep that in mind before they open their mouths and look foolish.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Look for Rielly to perhaps get back on track during the 2 Subway Series games.

Being surrounded by elite guys who can finish will be good for him. He really doesn't get much help in MJ. This little vacation from the Warriors could be good for him.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Leafs03

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Look for Rielly to perhaps get back on track during the 2 Subway Series games.

Being surrounded by elite guys who can finish will be good for him. He really doesn't get much help in MJ. This little vacation from the Warriors could be good for him.
What time are the games>??? and is it on sportsnet ontario???

Old
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Luke Schenn and Morgan Rielly are not comparable. They're both hyped, but honestly, what top five pick to a good hockey market isn't?

Schenn has nothing compared to Rielly. Sure, he's bigger, more physical and better defensively. However, defense is something that can be taught, and from my viewings of Rielly, it's not a weakness. However, you can't teach hockey sense, skating and vision and that's what Rielly brings to the table.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
What time are the games>??? and is it on sportsnet ontario???
First one is 10PM EST on Wednesday.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:17 AM
conway902

Quote:
I am not saying they aren't similar caliber players, I actually agree with that line of thinking.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Rielly to Galchenyuk or vice versa. The issue is changing your opinion nearly overnight or using a very small sample size to justify this change in ideology. I just think it's funny that some fans talked smack because Gally was off to a cold start and Rielly was off to a really great start, as the old saying goes: Insert foot in mouth.

Both players will have hot/cold spells over the course of this season, and people need to keep that in mind before they open their mouths and look foolish.
Its not changing opinion over night when Rielly has played as much hockey this year as he did last season. Opinion before the draft was based mostly on 23 games, opinion after the draft is based on another 25 games. Not complicated.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Ruah

Give Morgan Rielly a better forward group to work with. His stats don't reflect his dominance almost every game he plays.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:56 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Just looking at stats it seems like the Oil Kings could use more offense from the blue line. Any chance they go after Rielly at the trade deadline?

Old
11-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Luke Schenn and Morgan Rielly are not comparable. They're both hyped, but honestly, what top five pick to a good hockey market isn't?

Schenn has nothing compared to Rielly. Sure, he's bigger, more physical and better defensively. However, defense is something that can be taught, and from my viewings of Rielly, it's not a weakness. However, you can't teach hockey sense, skating and vision and that's what Rielly brings to the table.
schenn has nothing on rielly? then yoy list that he is bigger, more physical and better defensively... sounds like he has something on him afterall.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:44 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Just looking at stats it seems like the Oil Kings could use more offense from the blue line. Any chance they go after Rielly at the trade deadline?
Highly unlikely.

Getting Martin Gernat back will help them.. whenever that happens.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
The Chiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
schenn has nothing on rielly? then yoy list that he is bigger, more physical and better defensively... sounds like he has something on him afterall.
I know you'd do anything to trash talk the leafs but you're really stretching here.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Have you even watched him in the NHL? He does have that potential still. He was the Human Eraser two out of four season he was in Toronto.
Luke Schenn has been the Human Eraser every year he's been in the NHL, only problem is he has the hockey IQ of a chimpanzee (ok, I'm exaggerating) and he can't skate very well. Get him a mobile partner who'll cover up his mistakes and people won't be talking about his deficiencies, they'll be talking about how he's the Human Eraser.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:52 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
I appreciate your rational thinking, I really do. This board could use more of it, much more of it

Old
11-13-2012, 03:51 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Luke Schenn has been the Human Eraser every year he's been in the NHL, only problem is he has the hockey IQ of a chimpanzee (ok, I'm exaggerating) and he can't skate very well. Get him a mobile partner who'll cover up his mistakes and people won't be talking about his deficiencies, they'll be talking about how he's the Human Eraser.
Leafs should have kept him and paired him with reilly maybe!!

Closed Thread