HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Leo Komarov?

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Sam Slick*

vCash: 500
I didn't like him at first but he seems to be coming around.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:53 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

is he the real deal people?

Old
11-11-2012, 04:01 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Indeed. Imagine you're working as a chef at a three star restaurant in Canada, you get offered a job at a five star restaurant overseas, and you decide to take it. When you get there, there's a labour dispute and the restaurant could be closed for a long time, but they're like "hey, take this job at a diner instead," which is a step down from the level you're used to working at, with worse pay too. Chances are you head back home to your three star restaurant, and only consider going overseas again if the five star re-opens. Kind of hard to convince yourself to stay in a new country, where they speak a new language, for a less prestigious job and worse pay.
Pretty much the way it is. I think the KHL is 4 star though and the AHL 3 star same difference though.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Komarov has been red hot on the Marlies and making the best case for himself to get a promotion and attempt to make the Leafs once the end the lockout ends.

His style of play seems very transferable to the NA pro style of game.

11-11-2012, 10:30 AM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

I've watched all his games so far and he has been the teams best forward this season. He is a complete menace to the opponent and has good speed and hands. He brings it every night and every shift.

It will be a huge shame if he leaves because the NHL season is cancelled. I would have him slotted on the fourth line on the big club.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:08 AM
sirMcDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Corncrick View Post
It will be a huge shame if he leaves because the NHL season is cancelled. I would have him slotted on the fourth line on the big club.
Komarov said to the media that he leaves Toronto after the road trip to join Dynamo Moscow if the lockout doesn't end. He seems to think that playing in AHL doesn't give him anything that he allready has. And of course the money is better in KHL.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:37 AM
gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirMcDuck View Post
Komarov said to the media that he leaves Toronto after the road trip to join Dynamo Moscow if the lockout doesn't end. He seems to think that playing in AHL doesn't give him anything that he allready has. And of course the money is better in KHL.
What's the deal if he decides to leave? Will he make lock out contract so he can come back to Toronto if the season starts? Does Toronto want him back in that case?

Old
11-11-2012, 12:48 PM
zeke
#freewilly

From what I've seen, there's no doubt he's NHL calibre. He'll fit in very well as a 4th line pest, and might even have enough skill to get 3rd line minutes.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

He's got decent footspeed, and a high compete level. He's not afraid to play a chippy game and won't pass up an opportunity to finish his check. He could fit in great with Steckel and Brown on the fourth line.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:02 PM
sirMcDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
What's the deal if he decides to leave? Will he make lock out contract so he can come back to Toronto if the season starts? Does Toronto want him back in that case?
Don't know how you can get released from AHL-contract... I think that Komarov really doesn't care if Toronto don't want him back. That would fit to his character.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
He's got decent footspeed, and a high compete level. He's not afraid to play a chippy game and won't pass up an opportunity to finish his check. He could fit in great with Steckel and Brown on the fourth line.
To be perfectly honest, I'd love to see him in the PLACE of Brown.

Mike Brown has a great beard, and he tries hard, but to be honest, he doesn't do much for me.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:27 PM
The Saurus

I would be very disappointed, but not all that shocked, if Leo decided to go back to Europe. I hope that doesn't mean the end of his desire to come to North America to play for the Leafs, though.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post

Mike Brown has a great beard, and he tries hard, but to be honest, he doesn't do much for me.
I agree, Leo can produce more, and I believe is younger.
We do lose some physicality, replacing Brownie though.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
I would be very disappointed, but not all that shocked, if Leo decided to go back to Europe. I hope that doesn't mean the end of his desire to come to North America to play for the Leafs, though.
I would hope that he decides to go back, for the entire K season,
and then either come back for either teams playoffs, or next season.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:57 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I would hope that he decides to go back, for the entire K season,
and then either come back for either teams playoffs, or next season.
Let us not forget he was captain of his squad and making 2mil per in the K.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
This. I've wanted him on the Leafs for awhile, and I was looking forward to his contributions this year.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:

Why does he need to replace him? We don't exactly have a logjam of competent NHL caliber 4th liners.

I think your in pretty good shape if you can have the speed, physicality, tenacity and offensive flare of Komarov and Brown on your 4th line, behind 3 scoring lines.

Assuming the season is cancelled and we're planning for the 13/14 season (). For discussions sake lets say Burke and Carlyle entice Getzlaf to join them in Toronto. Let's also say Toronto lands a top 5 pick and decides to further bolster their blueline by drafting the big and bad Seth Jones to compliment offensive dynamo Morgan Rielly. Just because I'm in a good mood let's assume we trade Cody Franson, Jesse Blacker and a pick for Roberto Luongo and his albatross contract.

We let the following go in FA: Lombardi, Connolly, Steckel
We resign: Lupul, Bozak and our RFA's
We waive/amnesty buyout: Komisarek

Now tell me this line-up isn't near-drool worthy.

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Jones-Rielly
Gunnarsson-Liles
Holzer

Luongo
Reimer

Old
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:

Brown is good at what he does. 4th line banger who plays hard and drops the gloves when needed. As of right now, we dont have anyone who can fight and very few who can play phyiscal. We could use a couple more like him on our team.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Why does he need to replace him? We don't exactly have a logjam of competent NHL caliber 4th liners.

I think your in pretty good shape if you can have the speed, physicality, tenacity and offensive flare of Komarov and Brown on your 4th line, behind 3 scoring lines.

Assuming the season is cancelled and we're planning for the 13/14 season (). For discussions sake lets say Burke and Carlyle entice Getzlaf to join them in Toronto. Let's also say Toronto lands a top 5 pick and decides to further bolster their blueline by drafting the big and bad Seth Jones to compliment offensive dynamo Morgan Rielly. Just because I'm in a good mood let's assume we trade Cody Franson, Jesse Blacker and a pick for Roberto Luongo and his albatross contract.

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Jones-Rielly
Gunnarsson-Liles
Holzer

Luongo
Reimer
Like it...and none of your points are completely outrageous.
I wouldnt mind Kadri behing moved to 2nd line center, either, and moving Grabo for some picks/prospects. Ashton could also fill role as 3rd line winger...Biggs in the future.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

At first - saw him as a 3rd line AHL'r, who wouldn't crack our teams bottom 6

Now I see him as a two-way AHL'r who can do fine in a 2nd line role.

Still don't think he's good enough to score in a top 6, or big/strong enough to play in a bottom 6 role.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Jones-Rielly
Gunnarsson-Liles
Holzer

Luongo
Reimer
It can't both be realistic and have Getzlaf coming to our team.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Something good has to happen to the Leafs sooner or later, right?....right??

There are a few factors that may lead to Getzlaf coming to Toronto.

1.) We are the biggest hockey market in the world. Certain players would love to have all this attention, others would prefer the anonymity that comes with playing in Florida, for instance..

2.) Both Getzlaf's coach, and GM from when the Anaheim Ducks won the Stanley Cup are currently employed by the Leafs. Again, could be a positive or a negative. Who truly knows Getzlaf's feelings about either of those two significant figures.

3) & 4.) Toronto has a number of good (in some cases great wingers) who would entice any center to play with. Who wouldn't want to play with a speedy sniper like Kessel who cemented himself as a top player last season? Getzlaf and Lupul probably know each other from their time on the Ducks and any of JVR, Kulemin, Kadri or Frattin would look great playing on Getzlaf's wing.

Furthermore, while we have all these wingers, there is a gaping hole at the #1 center slot. Getzlaf would be guaranteed prime minutes at ES/PP/SH as the teams key offensive cog.

5.) Along with the Canadiens we are the most prominent Canadian franchise in the NHL's storied history. Ryan Getzlaf is Canadian, it's a natural fit

--
I'm sure you could make a list like this for a bunch of other team's who are trying to sell themselves to Getzlaf. But you have to admit we put up a pretty good case if Getzlaf is looking to gain some notoriety in hockey's biggest market.

A Leafs' fan can dream, right?

Old
11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 3 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Realistic? Aren`t you the one who thinks Burke passed up a trade for Tavares?

Old
11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Quote:

Lupul-Getzlaf-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Jones-Rielly
Gunnarsson-Liles
Holzer

Luongo
Reimer
I hate the fact you have two players who have never played a NHL game in their life on our 2nd pairing behind two guys who have shown they can be in a top 4.

On a side note looks like Leo is heading back to the KHL to play for Dynamo Moscow. Understandable really he has played against men and can't really learn much for the AHL. Hope he comes back after the lockout.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Like it...and none of your points are completely outrageous.
I wouldnt mind Kadri behing moved to 2nd line center, either, and moving Grabo for some picks/prospects. Ashton could also fill role as 3rd line winger...Biggs in the future.
This was a joke right?

Closed Thread