HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 11:59 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

vCash: 500
I see him as Eberle in Kesler's body. He has such a powerful stride and just knows where to be.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
PSN: WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I prefer the Kovalchuk comparison, big, strong and smart.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:20 AM
sanitysrequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Thats my thinking too, a better Taylor Hall. The kid plays with a ton of jam, i don't know how he does it
Sorry, just wondering. I've read the word "jam" before as an adjective to describe mackinnons play, but I don't think I have a clear grasp of what that means. Can you please elaborate? Is it something to do with the intensity of his game?

In terms of comparables I kind of like the hall-seguin combination comparison. similar to how i consider Crosby a Tavares-duchene hybrid.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicryptic View Post
Sorry, just wondering. I've read the word "jam" before as an adjective to describe mackinnons play, but I don't think I have a clear grasp of what that means. Can you please elaborate? Is it something to do with the intensity of his game?

In terms of comparables I kind of like the hall-seguin combination comparison. similar to how i consider Crosby a Tavares-duchene hybrid.
He seeks contact rather than avoids it. Is a determined and gritty player.

11-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Ashasx

The way I like to see it is that they are players that push the play down the ice, not necessarily being physical. They aren't perimeter players and don't wait for others to do work for them. They are forwards that the opposition doesn't like playing against. Certainly type A personality hockey players.

I think Nathan is a little less straight-line than somebody like Hall, but I also think he plays with a little more finesse.

Obviously trying to make direct comparisons with any two players is flawed, but there does seem to be a trend with many high drafted forwards recently. Strong lower bodies, quick feet, high tempo.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:08 AM
bsmith14

From what I have seen from MacKinnon he does remind me of Hall.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:19 AM
RJQuack

MacKinnon's physical play scares me. Sometimes he's too physical, and is very susceptible to injury lol. Which is why I like the Kesler or Seguin comparisons.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:41 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

He reminds me of a 17 year old Crosby.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:44 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
He reminds me of a 17 year old Crosby.
I'm 90% sure this is sarcasim but he doesnt even play a remotely similar game to Crosby...

Old
11-11-2012, 09:47 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I'm 90% sure this is sarcasim but he doesnt even play a remotely similar game to Crosby...

Old
11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Actually, he plays a very similar game as young Crosby. He just doesn't have the same skills/talent, especially when it comes to stick/puck skills. Otherwise they look pretty much the same whether the puck is on their stick or not. Big first step jump, then straight toward the net no matter what/who else is in front of him, no hesitation to drive through instead of around, and no bias between shoot or pass - just a quick read and react when the time comes. And always ending up where the puck is. That's another thing that grabs you about both, due to the level of anticipation/hockey I.Q. they have.

Having said all that, the Crosby comparisons are kinda bogus and unfair because MacKinnon, for all his work and drive and effectiveness, simply isn't nearly as talented as Crosby when it comes to all the finer points of the "finesse" skills. Skating (edge work) and puckhandling fundamentals in particular, while strong, are simply not quite in Crosby's league.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Crabovski*

This kids been busting ass, its more than evident on the ice. Its hard to say hes going to be the best draft pick over the past few drafts, but I do think hes a shoe-in as a 1st line NHL player at this point and certainly has the talent to compete with guys like Staal, Hall, Tavares ect.

I think an E.Staal comparisons good as far as career projection goes, not so much playing style (in fact not 1 bit lol). Classic PPG Centre with game breaking ability.

From what Ive seen of this kid its nothing but impressive, I think a few years in the league he'll be in the Toews/Giroux/Kane/Kovalchuk caliber for sure. I can actually appreciate the hype this kid gets, unlike McDavid who has another 2 years of busting ass till hes looked at as a professional.

Last edited by Crabovski*: 11-11-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
11-11-2012, 11:53 AM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Actually, he plays a very similar game as young Crosby. He just doesn't have the same skills/talent, especially when it comes to stick/puck skills. Otherwise they look pretty much the same whether the puck is on their stick or not. Big first step jump, then straight toward the net no matter what/who else is in front of him, no hesitation to drive through instead of around, and no bias between shoot or pass - just a quick read and react when the time comes. And always ending up where the puck is. That's another thing that grabs you about both, due to the level of anticipation/hockey I.Q. they have.

Having said all that, the Crosby comparisons are kinda bogus and unfair because MacKinnon, for all his work and drive and effectiveness, simply isn't nearly as talented as Crosby when it comes to all the finer points of the "finesse" skills. Skating (edge work) and puckhandling fundamentals in particular, while strong, are simply not quite in Crosby's league.
No he's not, he plays very different than Sid. Drouin plays more similar than Sid than Nate does. Crosby was always playmaker/pass first in junior, where Nate is a goal scorer/shoot first

Old
11-11-2012, 01:10 PM
ahmon

He's obviously fast, but once he gets to the nhl, his speed will be less of an advantage.

He's more a faster seguin. But smaller/less playmaking abilities.

This draft reminds me of 2003. A player picked in the 20s can be as good as the top 5.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:50 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
He's obviously fast, but once he gets to the nhl, his speed will be less of an advantage.

He's more a faster seguin. But smaller/less playmaking abilities.

This draft reminds me of 2003. A player picked in the 20s can be as good as the top 5.
Reminds me of 06. At the top you have your franchise, all-round defensman (Johnson/Jones), your big defensive center with offensive upside (Staal/Barkov), your medium sized center with great defense and elite hockey sense (Toews/Monahan), your Swedish playmaking centre (Backstrom/Lindholm) and your speedy sniper with sick hands (Kessel/Shinkaruk). All we're missing is a comparable for the Halifax boys

Old
11-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
No he's not, he plays very different than Sid. Drouin plays more similar than Sid than Nate does. Crosby was always playmaker/pass first in junior, where Nate is a goal scorer/shoot first
Don't know how many of Crosby's games you watched when he was growing up, but my little brother played against him in Midget, so I saw a LOT of games. Even if you're talking later on in QMJHL times, how is a guy with a goal/game in his junior career so much of a "pass first" player? Sorry, but that's fiction on your part. He's like MacKinnon like that; starts off aimed straight at the net, more than willing to go right at the goalie if you let him, more than happy to find the open guy if you don't. I don't see any shoot/pass "bias" in either of their games. Neither gives up prime opportunities to shoot unless their hockey I.Q. detects someone in an even better position to bury the puck.

If you want to compare all-star weekend skills, or produce a video like Kovalev's, then sure, Drouin may look more similar. If you compare how they get around the ice and how they play the game, MacKinnon is way closer, imo. But still, the comparison isn't fair to either guy if one's expectations for the future are the same.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I see Jeremy Roenick on the ice. Same swagger. Low, powerful, explosive stance. Can go around you, but prefers to go through you. Five tool player, who is a triple threat offensively.

Roenick was an arrogant loud mouthed a-hole, and the two could jot have more different off ice personas, but I think MacKinnon looks as much like Roenick on the ice as anybody has since Roenick was on the ice.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:51 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Don't know how many of Crosby's games you watched when he was growing up, but my little brother played against him in Midget, so I saw a LOT of games. Even if you're talking later on in QMJHL times, how is a guy with a goal/game in his junior career so much of a "pass first" player? Sorry, but that's fiction on your part. He's like MacKinnon like that; starts off aimed straight at the net, more than willing to go right at the goalie if you let him, more than happy to find the open guy if you don't. I don't see any shoot/pass "bias" in either of their games. Neither gives up prime opportunities to shoot unless their hockey I.Q. detects someone in an even better position to bury the puck.

If you want to compare all-star weekend skills, or produce a video like Kovalev's, then sure, Drouin may look more similar. If you compare how they get around the ice and how they play the game, MacKinnon is way closer, imo. But still, the comparison isn't fair to either guy if one's expectations for the future are the same.
Im talking about Q since we're comparing at the same age.

Crosby in the Q was very much pass first. Sure you can point out his GPG numbers but that is because he was so good at that age. He also had 102 assists though. Mackinnon, on the other hand, has more goals than assists.

Drouin has a higher IQ than Nate, as well. Not a knock on Nate at all, Drouin plays an extremely smart game. Sidney at that age was just off the charts good. I remember watching him and I would be in complete "aw" at how he played. You just knew he was going to be something.

Nate = Hossa/Kovy
Drouin = Eberle/Giroux

Pick your poison.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:51 PM
arsmaster

I see a smarter Taylor Hall.

Less ******* too.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Im talking about Q since we're comparing at the same age.

Crosby in the Q was very much pass first. Sure you can point out his GPG numbers but that is because he was so good at that age. He also had 102 assists though. Mackinnon, on the other hand, has more goals than assists.

Drouin has a higher IQ than Nate, as well. Not a knock on Nate at all, Drouin plays an extremely smart game. Sidney at that age was just off the charts good. I remember watching him and I would be in complete "aw" at how he played. You just knew he was going to be something.

Nate = Hossa/Kovy
Drouin = Eberle/Giroux

Pick your poison.
To be honest, I don't think Crosby is anywhere close in terms of style of play to either MacKinnon or Drouin. I think you comparison of Hossa/Kovy and Eberle/Giroux sums it up pretty good.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:38 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I see a smarter Taylor Hall.

Less ******* too.
To add to that, he does stay on his feet a lot better than Hall. Whether it's a skating issue or a lower body thing, I dunno, but Hall always did fall a lot.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I see Jeremy Roenick on the ice. Same swagger. Low, powerful, explosive stance. Can go around you, but prefers to go through you. Five tool player, who is a triple threat offensively.

Roenick was an arrogant loud mouthed a-hole, and the two could jot have more different off ice personas, but I think MacKinnon looks as much like Roenick on the ice as anybody has since Roenick was on the ice.
I agree. Looks and plays a lot like Roenick.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:

You nailed it with the Roenick comparison.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:29 PM
muzion

I don't see how he resembles Crosby at all. He's a skilled power forward with very good hockey sense, with a big motor and incredible acceleration. Crosby switched up his game and figured out different ways to score when the Pascal Dupuis of the world couldn't finish his genius plays.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

I'm going to disagree with the Roenick comparison, but it's only because a large part of Roenick's game (like Forsberg, or Ovechkin, to use a more modern example) involved initiating a lot of contact - sometimes borderline recklessly, but almost always at high speed. More feisty, intense and instigating physical player, whereas Nathan just plays a positional game that involves being strong on his skates and doesn't include pulling out of hits. Not nearly as focused on making contact wherever he goes, and not as chippy either, as MacKinnon plays a style that is much more concerned with staying calm, focused, and out of the penalty box. He commented as much during one of his interviews last week on Sportsnet. Roenick definitely fought for his inches of ice every night with more ferocity than you'll see from MacKinnon.

The "tools" and some of those rushes, though, are Roenick-esque enough. Someone with only Youtube to follow could be excused for not being able to see just how dissimilar their games actually look over the course of an entire game.

Closed Thread