HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

139:12 And Counting, The Barons Couldn't Score in a Brothel With a Fistfull of $100's

Old
11-11-2012, 03:39 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
He'll still be playing with any combo of RNH Eberle Hemsky Gagner or Yakupov

Much less of a waste than playing with VandeVelde
which is why the line combos had him with Arcobello and Pitlick... Not CVV

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:49 PM
BleedOil

vCash: 1425
Totally missed the game

Does anyone know where i can watch the highlights?
can't seem to find it on sportsnet or ahl.com......Or i could be blind

BleedOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:02 PM
BleedOil

vCash: 1425
NEVERMIND......Oilers website....who would'a thought?

BleedOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Olson and Street are 25 years old, the only forwards that we had playing in these 2 games that were that old were Vande Velde, House, and Byers. Do you really think that a guy like Josh Green wouldn't have helped our cause?

You mention Baertschi buying in, well he isn't an established NHLer yet, neither is Schultz, no big surprise that the two most talented guys that aren't NHLers have played hard and well all season long (Sven and Schultz). If our team plays with the same intensity level that they did last night it will be very hard to beat them. You also mention all of the Heats chances but don't mention ours, RNH in the slot, Hall on the side of the net, etc.

Then you talk about puck retention, did you not see the Lander line who kept the Heat pinned in their zone for most shifts?

Lastly for Danis/Roy, Danis is the reigning AHL goalie of the year and this was a very hostile environment against a really good AHL team, the win yesterday spoke for itself. Roy will be playing soon enough.
Outside of the first period last night the Heat dominated 5/6 periods in the two game set.

We won the second going against the grain. I think the Heat had something like 20shots in the 3rd period and were just controlling the game. Fantastic finish by Hall and Schultz but really the game would've been over were it not for Danis.

Watch more of it. One team forces the play thats not there, the other content to find open ice, open spaces, and wait for a chance. I love puck control, I love the cycle, I love team play. Not many plays where we even strung 3 passes in a row together. Fewer still at 5 on 5.

This was an abysmal 5 on 5 weekend by the Barons. Saved only by a PP, and 4 on 4 in OT where they get more space to work some magic. Other than that we were shutdown.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil View Post
Totally missed the game

Does anyone know where i can watch the highlights?
can't seem to find it on sportsnet or ahl.com......Or i could be blind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji96YnyaKVI

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Outside of the first period last night the Heat dominated 5/6 periods in the two game set.

We won the second going against the grain. I think the Heat had something like 20shots in the 3rd period and were just controlling the game. Fantastic finish by Hall and Schultz but really the game would've been over were it not for Danis.

Watch more of it. One team forces the play thats not there, the other content to find open ice, open spaces, and wait for a chance. I love puck control, I love the cycle, I love team play. Not many plays where we even strung 3 passes in a row together. Fewer still at 5 on 5.

This was an abysmal 5 on 5 weekend by the Barons. Saved only by a PP, and 4 on 4 in OT where they get more space to work some magic. Other than that we were shutdown.
Abysmal?? Didn't you say it was a great game...

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

What a great night last night. We were sitting in a suite and we just happened to be right next to the Oilers box. MacT, Lowe, Buchberger, and Laforge were all there. Got to meet and spend some time with Lowe and Laforge. Both were great guys. I wanted to ask Lowe about Luongo and some potential trades, but decided not to bother him with that kind of stuff.

The game was great as well. I want to thank all the Oiler fans that came to see the game. Canuck games usually have a solid number of Oiler fans, but nothing like last night. It was great to have that many Oiler fans there. Gives me a small taste of what a home game would be like.

As for the players, I thought everybody played well. Pitlick and Fedun really caught my eye considering I have never seen them play before. Pitlick doesn't have great puck skills but he skates well and was quite strong. I think he could be a good 3rd liner for us. Fedun was making some really nice cross ice passes through the neutral zone. I liked his vision.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Abysmal?? Didn't you say it was a great game...
"Abysmal 5 0n 5 Play" by the Barons. They did nothing all weekend 5 on 5. Not sure what about that is confusing.

Ward, the coach of the Heat knows his club shut us down. Without a gift PP and special tricks OT we don't win this game.

I'm a purist, I like 5 on 5 play. That denotes what a club will accomplish.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:

I was at the game...your opinion is overly negative..the Barons played very well for about 70% of y'days game. They deserved the victory.

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
SDig14

Quote:
"Abysmal 5 0n 5 Play" by the Barons. They did nothing all weekend 5 on 5. Not sure what about that is confusing.

Ward, the coach of the Heat knows his club shut us down. Without a gift PP and special tricks OT we don't win this game.

I'm a purist, I like 5 on 5 play. That denotes what a club will accomplish.
I think it was a combination of poor play and the fact the Heat are simply unconscious right now defensively, especially 5-on-5.

I mean, last night they went into the game only allowing 18 goals, so 20 goals total after last night. They also had a PK% of 97.8% (prior to the Hall goal).

How many of those 20 goals were 5-on-5? They are lights out as far as systems and team defense right now.

I think a struggling team met a team playing great D and it resulted in a terrible lack of production.

I just don't think the Barons have been as bad as a lot of people here are portraying. If I was an outsider coming into to read some of these GDTs, I would think the Barons are 0-12.

The team is above .500 and in a playoff spot, albeit barely, but keeping in mind they are struggling I'm in the camp of being not too worried right now.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
I was at the game...your opinion is overly negative..the Barons played very well for about 70% of y'days game. They deserved the victory.
They were outshot and outplayed after the first period. Heat had around 20 shots in the 3rd period alone.

The Heat absolutely kicked us in the junk on Friday. Did you watch that game?

Old
11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
They were outshot and outplayed after the first period. Heat had around 20 shots in the 3rd period alone.

The Heat absolutely kicked us in the junk on Friday. Did you watch that game?
Get off your high horse already...I was at both games...the Barons were the better team, despite what a homerish shot clock indicates...

Im so sick of certain Oilers fans being so negative. I enjoyed y'days game and the better team did win.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Get off your high horse already...I was at both games...the Barons were the better team, despite what a homerish shot clock indicates...

Im so sick of certain Oilers fans being so negative. I enjoyed y'days game and the better team did win.
You Thought we were the better team Friday. You can't be serious.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
You Thought we were the better team Friday. You can't be serious.
where did I say that? straw man

Old
11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Hey replacement, you do know that the Heat scored 3 of 4 goals on the PP on Friday right?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
where did I say that? straw man
What the hell does this sentence mean?

"I was at both games...the Barons were the better team, despite what a homerish shot clock indicates."

Maybe check your statements before calling out others on theirs. Very clearly I read that as you referring to both games. How wouldn't I? You specifically stated BOTH GAMES.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Hey replacement, you do know that the Heat scored 3 of 4 goals on the PP on Friday right?
I also know which team on paper is supposed to be the far better club that got its ass handed to it in embarrassing fashion on Friday Night.

Could be the best thing though. Nothing like getting run out of the rink to wake a club up.

You'd have to take pulses if a team didn't man up after a complete drubbing like that.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
What the hell does this sentence mean?

"I was at both games...the Barons were the better team, despite what a homerish shot clock indicates."

Maybe check your statements before calling out others on theirs. Very clearly I read that as you referring to both games. How wouldn't I? You specifically stated BOTH GAMES.
I entered the discussion talking about yesterdays game. I disagreed with your assertion, and frankly find it excessively negative.

You asked if I watched Fridays game and i indicated I was at both games. At no time did I discuss what I thought of Fridays game.

And, ftr, the Barons were pretty lethargic Friday, but again, Saturday they were indeed the superior team for the majority of the night - despite what the shot clock says, which is never a solid plank to base an argument on.

straw man indeed. I dont even know what we are disputing anymore.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I entered the discussion talking about yesterdays game. I disagree with your assertion, and frankly find it excessively negative.

You asked if I watched Fridays game and i indicated I was at both games. At no time did I discuss what I thought of Fridays game.

And, ftr, the Barons were pretty lethargic Friday, but again, Saturday they were indeed the superior team for the majority of the night - despite what the shot clock says, which is never a solid plank to base an argument on.

straw man indeed. I dont even know what we are disputing anymore.
Hey I pointed out what you stated. I don't know how you expect me to ascertain what you actually mean vs what you actually write.

In anycase I disagree on last night. Heat had the margin of play for most of the game and most of the serious scoring chances. That said the finish by Hall and Schultz on their respective goals was brilliant as I stated in the thread.

Imagine me being excessively negative after watching this teams pro sports clubs play of late. if it isn't the Oilers, its the eskimos, or the barons.. jebus

Old
11-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Hey I pointed out what you stated. I don't know how you expect me to ascertain what you actually mean vs what you actually write.

In anycase I disagree on last night. Heat had the margin of play for most of the game and most of the serious scoring chances. That said the finish by Hall and Schultz on their respective goals was brilliant as I stated in the thread.
sorry, straw man was an unfair shot...but you kinda came across as a negative nelly, and I over reacted (a smidge)

But we can agree to disagree on Saturdays game...I dont think the Barons dominated from start to finish at all, but they were the better team, only by what eyes told me.

Cheers

Old
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
sorry, straw man was an unfair shot...but you kinda came across as a negative nelly, and I over reacted (a smidge)

But we can agree to disagree on Saturdays game...I dont think the Barons dominated from start to finish at all, but they were the better team, only by what eyes told me.

Cheers
No worries, I'm just pissed with the fortunes of the eskimos. Found out last night the top tackler wasn't going to be playing in the playoffs and fortunes went down from there.

Then what with the lockout, lousy CFL games, no hockey its tough to take that being the one game antidote.

Time to look off sports for awhile.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Freudian slips

Quote:
No worries, I'm just pissed with the fortunes of the eskimos. Found out last night the top tackler wasn't going to be playing in the playoffs and fortunes went down from there.

Then what with the lockout, lousy CFL games, no hockey its tough to take that being the one game antidote.

Time to look off sports for awhile.
Im a Riders fan...living in BC...think how I feel!!

Its getting sad, eh...Oilers fans are now so restless we are fighting amongst ourselves...

Old
11-11-2012, 05:59 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I was just going to post the same thing - and one of the three PP goals on Friday was a 5 on 3.
So the Heat managed one even strength goal each night, not so impressive when you look at it that way.

I do see Replacement's point to some extent.
In general the Heat were the more organized team imo, while the Barons frequently looked like a bunch of guys trying to do things on their own.

The announcers said the Heat dressed eight undrafted players in the game last night, while the Barons were playing with probably that many first round picks.
On paper that's a massive mismatch. Maybe there is something to the idea that some of the Barons players would rather not be in the AHL. Who can blame them really.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I also know which team on paper is supposed to be the far better club that got its ass handed to it in embarrassing fashion on Friday Night.

Could be the best thing though. Nothing like getting run out of the rink to wake a club up.

You'd have to take pulses if a team didn't man up after a complete drubbing like that.
I admittedly didn't watch the games, I was working nights.

But I did see some highlights and it looked like some lights out goaltending from the Heat was a big reason why the Barons were held scoreless 5 on 5.
If anything its disingenuous to how dangerous the Heat are, its not like they were scoring in bunches 5 on 5. They only managed one or two (was the tying goal on saturday a PP ?)

The Heat had, what, 8 or 9 PP's on friday? I don't care how good or talented your club is, you can't win when you're in the box for an entire period.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
And the ES tally IIRC was Marincin passing off of Paajarvi's foot and into the net......

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I was just going to post the same thing - and one of the three PP goals on Friday was a 5 on 3.
So the Heat managed one even strength goal each night, not so impressive when you look at it that way.

I do see Replacement's point to some extent.
In general the Heat were the more organized team imo, while the Barons frequently looked like a bunch of guys trying to do things on their own.

The announcers said the Heat dressed eight undrafted players in the game last night, while the Barons were playing with probably that many first round picks.
On paper that's a massive mismatch. Maybe there is something to the idea that some of the Barons players would rather not be in the AHL. Who can blame them really.
The Heat were more organized, part of that IMO has been the big 3 not really digging in and going to work (they did last night), then you have absolute slugs on D minus Schultz and the scratched Marincin. When Teubert is your 3rd fastest D you know that you are in deep **** IMO.

That said we took the game to them and should've won by more than 1 goal. There was will and skill on display by the Barons last night, and that combo is hard to beat.