HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 06:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Just how many Habs fans said things like that prior to last season?

We're not a lottery team. At worst (or at best), I would expect a 9th or 10th pick. We should pick around 15th, though.
I think we should look at the coaching not the players. WE all know the team is solid and well built but Therrien is a total shot in the dark. Put the best players in hte world with an incompetant coach and they wont do anything. Not that I am saying Therrien is going to be awful but anything could happen. We don't know his lines or style, can't say where they will land. All I know is it wont mesh immediatly, they have been playing Martins ****** "system" for the past few years and change takes time.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:13 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Hey guys, stopping in to say thanks for all the views on the Galchenyuk vids I made.

For convenience purposes, here's all the vids I have of 2013 eligible guys:

if you haven't already please follow https://twitter.com/antontibaldi . I make these vids on a regular basis and would appreciate any followers. Cheers.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Probably and statistics should be taught at a much earlier age.
you're probability right.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I think we should look at the coaching not the players. WE all know the team is solid and well built but Therrien is a total shot in the dark. Put the best players in hte world with an incompetant coach and they wont do anything. Not that I am saying Therrien is going to be awful but anything could happen. We don't know his lines or style, can't say where they will land. All I know is it wont mesh immediatly, they have been playing Martins ****** "system" for the past few years and change takes time.
I also figure this coaching staff will need some time to adjust since they've all been away from the NHL the last few years aside from Groulx.

You also have to wonder how essentially 2/3's of the team not playing any hockey from early April to whenever it gets settled will impact this team. That's a lot of time off. I see a lot of ''rust'' early on, especially from a guy like Gionta who missed the 2nd half and could have missed a full calendar year by the time the league opens up.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Captain Saku

Dont forget that training camp will last between 7 and 10 days max with 1 or 2 exhibition games only. I'm expecting a slow start to the seasom, but Therrien always did well in his 1st season with a new team.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Dada

Drouin's beauty goal in yesterday's defeat for Halifax

http://youtu.be/ELm5sWen4DM

PS: sorry if already posted

Old
11-11-2012, 09:16 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Just how many Habs fans said things like that prior to last season?

We're not a lottery team. At worst (or at best), I would expect a 9th or 10th pick. We should pick around 15th, though.
If our PP isn't in the top 10 we're gonna struggle to score, we lack scoring depth cause we lost a lot of skill with Cammalleri and AK46 gone with not much to replace them.

One serious injury to one of our top 4 guys on offense and the season is over unless Eller makes a big jump.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:41 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
If our PP isn't in the top 10 we're gonna struggle to score, we lack scoring depth cause we lost a lot of skill with Cammalleri and AK46 gone with not much to replace them.

One serious injury to one of our top 4 guys on offense and the season is over unless Eller makes a big jump.
Yup if Subban doesn't get his shot back you can just imagine how **** our PP is going to be. We don't really have any young rookies coming into the lineup this year. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have MAB as our 7th dman in times like this.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:05 PM
That

I've watched the last two Portland Winterhawks games and I've been very impressed with 3 of their draft eligible prospects.

Seth Jones is awesome. He simply does not make mistakes. He rushes the puck at all the right times. He breaks up plays at all the right times. He hits at the right times. He's such a smart player. Over the last two games I only remember one pass that wasn't tape to tape. His passes are crisp and very accurate. He has an incredible ability to hold the puck in the offensive zone. It's so hard for the opposition to clear the puck because he use his reach and speed to pucks that are far away and knocks down pucks in the air with ease. I also noticed that he doesn't shoot often, but when he does it's always on net. There was only two times that one of his shots was blocked. Jones has a great slapper, but his wrist shot is just as good. He has a quick release and it's very powerful, but he doesn't use it very often. He showed off his skating with some great rushes. He's a very good skater, lots of speed and very agile. One play that particularly stood out to me tonight was on a 2 on 1. Instead of sliding across the ice like most defenders do, he waited until the last second to make his move. He used his reach to block the passing lane and positioned his body in front of the puck carrier so he couldn't shoot. The player was forced to shoot the puck wide. A very smart play. Another play that stood out to me was last night, it was on a one-on-one situation that Jones read perfectly. The player tried to deke around him and he broke it up with his stick and then drove the player into the boards, while sending the puck down the boards. Jones only picked up one point over the two games, but it was a great goal. A slapper from the blue line. The goalie had no chance.

I know most of the talk is on drafting a forward, but I'd really like to draft Jones. Jones's style would compliment Subban's perfectly. The problem is both that both play on the right side. Jones did look very comfortable on the left side at various short periods of time though.

Someone else who really impressed me over the two games was Oliver Bjorkstrand. He picked up 4 goals and 1 assist over the two games. He looks very slight out there though, listed at only 5'11" 164 lbs. Last year at the WJC, I remember his skating looked kind of odd, but his technique looks like it's improved. He isn't the fastest guy out, but it works. I really liked how hard Bjorkstrand forechecked. At the beginning of the year he was playing fairly timid, but now he's playing with intensity. 3 of his 4 goals came from wristers in front of the net that the goalie really had no chance. He has a world-class release. His two goals tonight came from almost identical shot and at the same spot. Just positioned himself at the top of the slot and shot the puck as soon as he got it. His hands are pretty good too. My concerns with him are consistency and skating. While I mentioned his technique has improved, his acceleration is very poor. For consistency, he's not a threat every time he's on the ice. Sometimes he completely takes himself out of the play and doesn't engage at all.

Nicolas Petan is a great player too. He's only 5'9", but he's solidly built. I noticed that he's fearless on the ice. He's also great on the draw, he most the vast majority of them over the last two games. His assist tonight came off of a crafty play where he tipped the puck between two Kamloops players and created a 2 on 1. He's a really smart player who plays with a ton of energy. Petan is heavily involved along the boards. He battles it out and never gives up on the play. He possesses a high level of skill too. He's got incredible hands and dekes with his whole body. He has great vision too. He's a really good player. Could be a great later round pick.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
MaxLacoste

Can you imagine that kind defense line-up.

Jones-Subban
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Gorges-Ellis/Thrower

That would be a very huge and hard to play defense, very versatile.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
DAChampion

I think most of this fanbase would settle for Seth Jones, lol.

Also, it is really cool that he is the son of Popeye Jones.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:24 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

Jones-Subban
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Gorges-Ellis/Thrower

Is this Morgan Ellis? If so, good to see him high on the Habs fans future depth charts... Easily my favorite player last year and always enjoyed watching him in Cape Breton... Was maybe the best D in the Q last year... I hope he makes it to the show, and think he's a steal right now compared to where you got him.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:58 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
you're probability right.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:20 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I've watched the last two Portland Winterhawks games and I've been very impressed with 3 of their draft eligible prospects.

Seth Jones is awesome. He simply does not make mistakes. He rushes the puck at all the right times. He breaks up plays at all the right times. He hits at the right times. He's such a smart player. Over the last two games I only remember one pass that wasn't tape to tape. His passes are crisp and very accurate. He has an incredible ability to hold the puck in the offensive zone. It's so hard for the opposition to clear the puck because he use his reach and speed to pucks that are far away and knocks down pucks in the air with ease. I also noticed that he doesn't shoot often, but when he does it's always on net. There was only two times that one of his shots was blocked. Jones has a great slapper, but his wrist shot is just as good. He has a quick release and it's very powerful, but he doesn't use it very often. He showed off his skating with some great rushes. He's a very good skater, lots of speed and very agile. One play that particularly stood out to me tonight was on a 2 on 1. Instead of sliding across the ice like most defenders do, he waited until the last second to make his move. He used his reach to block the passing lane and positioned his body in front of the puck carrier so he couldn't shoot. The player was forced to shoot the puck wide. A very smart play. Another play that stood out to me was last night, it was on a one-on-one situation that Jones read perfectly. The player tried to deke around him and he broke it up with his stick and then drove the player into the boards, while sending the puck down the boards. Jones only picked up one point over the two games, but it was a great goal. A slapper from the blue line. The goalie had no chance.

I know most of the talk is on drafting a forward, but I'd really like to draft Jones. Jones's style would compliment Subban's perfectly. The problem is both that both play on the right side. Jones did look very comfortable on the left side at various short periods of time though.

Someone else who really impressed me over the two games was Oliver Bjorkstrand. He picked up 4 goals and 1 assist over the two games. He looks very slight out there though, listed at only 5'11" 164 lbs. Last year at the WJC, I remember his skating looked kind of odd, but his technique looks like it's improved. He isn't the fastest guy out, but it works. I really liked how hard Bjorkstrand forechecked. At the beginning of the year he was playing fairly timid, but now he's playing with intensity. 3 of his 4 goals came from wristers in front of the net that the goalie really had no chance. He has a world-class release. His two goals tonight came from almost identical shot and at the same spot. Just positioned himself at the top of the slot and shot the puck as soon as he got it. His hands are pretty good too. My concerns with him are consistency and skating. While I mentioned his technique has improved, his acceleration is very poor. For consistency, he's not a threat every time he's on the ice. Sometimes he completely takes himself out of the play and doesn't engage at all.

Nicolas Petan is a great player too. He's only 5'9", but he's solidly built. I noticed that he's fearless on the ice. He's also great on the draw, he most the vast majority of them over the last two games. His assist tonight came off of a crafty play where he tipped the puck between two Kamloops players and created a 2 on 1. He's a really smart player who plays with a ton of energy. Petan is heavily involved along the boards. He battles it out and never gives up on the play. He possesses a high level of skill too. He's got incredible hands and dekes with his whole body. He has great vision too. He's a really good player. Could be a great later round pick.
Good report! I watched Jones 1 game at U18...first thought was Larry Robinson.

Petan has the numbers...32 points in 19 games as 17 year-old are good numbers.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Is this Morgan Ellis? If so, good to see him high on the Habs fans future depth charts... Easily my favorite player last year and always enjoyed watching him in Cape Breton... Was maybe the best D in the Q last year... I hope he makes it to the show, and think he's a steal right now compared to where you got him.
He might very well be our third best D prospect behind Tinordi and Beaulieu. He's a keeper.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:18 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post

Jones-Subban
Tinordi-Beaulieu
Gorges-Ellis/Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think most of this fanbase would settle for Seth Jones, lol.

Also, it is really cool that he is the son of Popeye Jones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Good report! I watched Jones 1 game at U18...first thought was Larry Robinson.

Petan has the numbers...32 points in 19 games as 17 year-old are good numbers.
Seth Jones is awesome hardly ever makes mistakes on defence,plays like Larry Robinson.The first statement confirms the Robinson one,but Jones partner should be Beaulieu and Subban should be with Tinordi. All Hab fans would be ecstatic with getting the 2nd overall and Jones,I'm sure there would still be some that would want Bergevin to trade down for more picks and draft Drouin later,or Barkov,IMO you go for the BPA in the top five in a deep draft like this one will be.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Seth Jones is awesome hardly ever makes mistakes on defence,plays like Larry Robinson.The first statement confirms the Robinson one,but Jones partner should be Beaulieu and Subban should be with Tinordi. All Hab fans would be ecstatic with getting the 2nd overall and Jones,I'm sure there would still be some that would want Bergevin to trade down for more picks and draft Drouin later,or Barkov,IMO you go for the BPA in the top five in a deep draft like this one will be.
I'd love to add Seth Jones to our prospect pool, he would put our defensive depth over the top, but I think a more pressing need is another elite forward like Barkov or Drouin.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Et le But

Jones will be going top 2 anyway, top 3 at worst if Barkov is dominant in the WJC. If you have to choose between Mackinnon, Jones and Barkov its hard to be upset regardless of the outcome.

The defender after that, for me, is Ristolainen. I'd probably go with Drouin, Lindholm or Monahan before him but after that it's really tough to go with one of the others unless he starts playing poorly. Perhaps Pulock is safer but IMO Ristolainen is a less polished version of Jones - you can't teach that combination of size and skill, and he has some meanness in him. He's the first Finnish defender I can remember whose not only willing to get physical but is a natural at using his strength. His positioning needs work and he can take dumb penalties (not necessarily a bad thing when it's because he plays tough), but he plays a mature game in other regards so I think it's only a matter of experience.

Last edited by Et le But: 11-12-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Beast defenders like Jones are hard to come by. If you are Columbus you take MacKinnon, if your Islanders, you take Jones. Depends on the team IMO. Both are 1A-1B.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:12 PM
AJMHABS

I'm curious about Elias Lindholm. I've heard that he is being touted as the best prospect since Nicklas Backstrom, but I haven't watched any of his games. So for those who have watched his games or read some scouting reports, who is he best comparable to? What is his max upside?

Old
11-12-2012, 11:20 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
I'm curious about Elias Lindholm. I've heard that he is being touted as the best prospect since Nicklas Backstrom, but I haven't watched any of his games. So for those who have watched his games or read some scouting reports, who is he best comparable to? What is his max upside?
Peter. Forsberg.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Teamwork

Was Peter Forsberg only 6'?
I always felt like he was much taller than that..

Old
11-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Max upside: Peter Forsberg
Realistic upside: Nicklas Backstrom

Pass-first center whose best asset is his vision. Willing to play physical, somewhere in between Forsberg and Backstrom in that regard. Like Foppa has a bit of a mean streak even though he's a finesse player.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
AJMHABS

I'm guessing the Habs will take a flyer on him if they're Top 5-10. We would have a fantastic 1-2 center combo with Gally and Lindholm:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Desharnais
Bozon-Lindholm-Collberg

That would be beautiful.

Old
11-13-2012, 10:05 AM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Max upside: Peter Forsberg
Realistic upside: Nicklas Backstrom

Pass-first center whose best asset is his vision. Willing to play physical, somewhere in between Forsberg and Backstrom in that regard. Like Foppa has a bit of a mean streak even though he's a finesse player.
Thanks for the response. He sounds like an intriguing pick.

Closed Thread