HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2012 Subway Series II

Old
11-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Brad Coccimiglio

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brad Coccimiglio Send a message via AIM to Brad Coccimiglio Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Coccimiglio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
WTF is TSN smoking??? Vasilevski didn't even play lol.

"Vasilevski allowed one goal on 16 shots, while Ustinski was perfect, not allowing a goal on eight shots."

"Monahan fed Graovac, who put a nifty deke on Vasilevski before roofing a backhand shot."

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=409114
Just an FYI that the story was picked up from the Canadian Press, which means CP got it wrong, not TSN. As much as TSN missed the mistake, it's not entirely on them

Brad Coccimiglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Lol its true here it comes. There is just no way. Russia has 2 close to ready NHL goaltenders, even if they had to use Ustinski he doesn't look bad, and solid D, which is unusual, so expect less goals scored by the Canadians. I do think the Canadians have a fair chance of winning, just not with ease... The offense is the trickiest part, Canada did a good job shutting it down for 57 minutes. All it took were 2 brain farts for the Russians to make them pay with high end skilled plays. Was that Kookoek that got beat? Like who is expected to do a better job than him?
To be honest, Canada always has a great chance of winning, because they have a ton of great hockey players who also have a lot of character. Let's be honest, Canada is always the team to beat, until somehone replaces them.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:26 AM
espo*

They are always the team to beat in the best gold standard competitions but not always in competitions like this. When I saw the team Russia was bringing over to this series(which ain't far off what their national team is going to be this WJC) and took in the fact it would be playing the 3 seperate leagues from the CHL I figured Russia had the edge on going home with the winning record this year.

And that view hasn't changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
To be honest, Canada always has a great chance of winning, because they have a ton of great hockey players who also have a lot of character. Let's be honest, Canada is always the team to beat, until somehone replaces them.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Zine

Winning is always nice, but testing players for the WJC is what's most important about the SSS.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:29 AM
espo*

I would have to agree when it comes to this subway series.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:49 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Winning is always nice, but testing players for the WJC is what's most important about the SSS.
yes, most of the time WJC is in NA, and Canada is most of the time a heavy favorite to win it. Good way to test player's' will to fight through, new ice rinks, hostile crowd, often poor refereeing and other adversities. Good team building project, and a good way to see who is and who is not. I always claimed - this is more important for us, than for them.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
They are always the team to beat in the best gold standard competitions but not always in competitions like this. When I saw the team Russia was bringing over to this series(which ain't far off what their national team is going to be this WJC) and took in the fact it would be playing the 3 seperate leagues from the CHL I figured Russia had the edge on going home with the winning record this year.

And that view hasn't changed.
I don't see any evidence that winning this series means that much to either team. Bost teams are working on finalizing their rosters for Ufa.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
helicecopter

No archived games and not even highlights for this series?

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
sabresfan129103

Do we know what the OHL lineup is?

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Do we know what the OHL lineup is?
http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/page/ohl-roster

Rupert's spot was given to Garrett Meurs today.

bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:10 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
So, any guesses on the lineup?
Do they split Scheifele and Strome and let them both play C or put the two high scorers together...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:25 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
http://www.subwaysuperseries.ca/page/ohl-roster

Rupert's spot was given to Garrett Meurs today.
Beautiful. Thanks

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Nash

Quote:
And this hole hype about Connor McDavid? Wow, like what the hell did he do on the ice? Sure- 15 year old, But he didn't do ANYTHING. You can stick any talented 15 year old and he'll just skate with the big boys.

There must be some politics behind this insane overhyping.
I went back and scanned through the game. McDavid had about 10 shifts the entire game...many of them were 20 seconds. He threw 4-5 hits, had at least one nice dangle, broke through 2 guys impressively (didn't quite make it, but that is 15 year old strength), and put a nice pass through the crease. His showing was actually quite impressive for the lack of time he saw.

Against his own age group, he is ridiculously good. Wait a year or two. This kid is the closest thing to a Crosby we have seen.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:40 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I don't see any evidence that winning this series means that much to either team. Bost teams are working on finalizing their rosters for Ufa.
not true, did you see us celebrate the OHL win?

Old
11-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I went back and scanned through the game. McDavid had about 10 shifts the entire game...many of them were 20 seconds. He threw 4-5 hits, had at least one nice dangle, broke through 2 guys impressively (didn't quite make it, but that is 15 year old strength), and put a nice pass through the crease. His showing was actually quite impressive for the lack of time he saw.

Against his own age group, he is ridiculously good. Wait a year or two. This kid is the closest thing to a Crosby we have seen.
Hey, I'm not saying he's not insanely talented or something. Maybe he is.

I just want to focus on media and their approach to overhypign these kids before they could even finish their sentence. It's looks crazy to me from the side.

Why not let him achieve something substantial first and talk about it when it's warranted in the insane volume that they do now. Not just after a bunch of OHL games and a nearly invisible SSS game. Because really, who is Connor McDavid in Hockey? Nobody, yet.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
not true, did you see us celebrate the OHL win?
I wasn't referring to the players in this case - more to the RHF and Varnakov and his staff. Players always celebrate a win, because most of them play the game for fun more than anything else.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
SarcazemKadri

Extremely disappointed in Murphy last game. His hands and feet don't seem to be moving in unison like they use too. Maybe the concussion set him back?

Either way, with his defensive game he cannot afford to lose offense.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Hey, I'm not saying he's not insanely talented or something. Maybe he is.

I just want to focus on media and their approach to overhypign these kids before they could even finish their sentence. It's looks crazy to me from the side.

Why not let him achieve something substantial first and talk about it when it's warranted in the insane volume that they do now. Not just after a bunch of OHL games and a nearly invisible SSS game. Because really, who is Connor McDavid in Hockey? Nobody, yet.
26 points in 20 ohl games as a 15 year old is exceptional. The hype is well warranted. He's playing against other teams top defenders too, guys that tend to be 19 or 20. Say what you want, but I'm highly impressed

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
26 points in 20 ohl games as a 15 year old is exceptional. The hype is well warranted. He's playing against other teams top defenders too, guys that tend to be 19 or 20. Say what you want, but I'm highly impressed
I would tend to agree with that.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Well I disagree with the principle - amount of attention that media is giving him, which is A LOT. At times it seems like all they talk about before during and after the game is this kid. Even the article, which is titled about the game miraculously veers off into talking mostly about the kid. A hockey game was played as well.

I do of course agree, that those numbers are very impressive for a 15 year old.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
cska78

Quote:
Well I disagree with the principle - amount of attention that media is giving him, which is A LOT. At times it seems like all they talk about before during and after the game is this kid. Even the article, which is titled about the game miraculously veers off into talking mostly about the kid. A hockey game was played as well.

I do of course agree, that those numbers are very impressive for a 15 year old.
well you should know by now, every kid who's putting up numbers will be hyped up by media in Canada for the draft, that's just how it happens.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well you should know by now, every kid who's putting up numbers will be hyped up by media in Canada for the draft, that's just how it happens.
Sure, doesn't stop me from voicing my opinion about it, especially when I think it's overdone to a whole new level.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Tonight's line combos according to Bob Mac

Puempel-Strome-Meurs
Domi-Catenacci-Leivo
Camara-Scheifele-Griffith
Rychel-Graovac-Wilson

Corrado-Hamilton
Harrington-Percy
Pelech-Basso

Binnington
Paterson

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Gigantor The Goalie
Screw Everyone

I don't get why we are switching up our goalies. To me it's pointless, as a goalie I know both Binnington and Paterson are thinking "why do I have to share the net?"
I feel sorry for whoever goes in second because they are going in cold and it's unfair to both goalies.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Wow, nice to see Meurs getting top line minutes.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote