HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
=guymez;55699757]Some notes on the game....

Really too bad to see Nichols go down the way he did...haven't heard anything yet but hopefully it isn't serious. It looked really bad though.

Haven't read through the thread at all but I am sure there are a few constants....Replacement finding every excuse for Joseph and refusing to acknowledge the fact that Ray owned the Esks in this game.
Maybe read the thread first. Its no secret I would've pulled Joseph at the first quarter after giving Nichols a brief look at proceedings from the bench where he could properly assess what the Argos were doing.
Looks like that approach could've been pretty successful.

Ray "Owned" the Esks" We didn't require him to do anything but the most standard passes, short gainers and awful tacking and self destructed on our own. His two passing TD's generated were from the esks 25, and 35 yd line respectively. As if it were OT segments.. Even at that he required an interception to be overturned to get one of the TD's
The key in this game was to rush, pressure, sack, and hit Ray. We did none of the above playing right into his hands.

Quote:
Must be nice for Ray to shove it down the Esks throats after one of the worst trades in Esks history.
Would be nicer if Ray played anything like this in his last half dozen years here.

Quote:
Its inexplicable why Joseph played an entire half. He must have someone like Replacement whispering in his ear about how great Joseph is because I honestly do not get why Reed cant or wont acknowledge the obvious.
Way to be classy guy. We all suffered through this game. Good to look in the thread though and see yet more posters taking shots at Esks fans.

Enjoy cheering for the Argos

Old
11-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Stoneman89

I'll say it right now. I think the Als beat the Argos next week and rather convincingly. No free ride for RR from Trestman and company.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
When the hell was that? I must have been out of the country.
maybe when Ottawa had a team

Old
11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I thought we had some excellent personel on the D side of the ball. Our starting front 7 was superb and 4 of the guys on pass defence managed to hide Rod Williams for most of the season, until he was badly exposed in yet another playoff game today. Nelson refuses to blitz for some strange reason. From what I saw today for example, they only rushed the front 4 and exerted absolutely zero pressure on RR for the most part. The first blitz occured with about 4 minutes left in the 1st half, and Munoz got a sack for the efforts. Unfortunately, the score was out of hand by that point. Nelson has tried to get away with rushing 4 guys for the most part all year and it really killed us today. I think he feels we need to stack up on pass coverage and get those kind of sacks. Credit to the people on our D that are able to make things happen despite a very vanilla passive type of system. No, I don't think it's a learning curve with Nelson. It's his style and RR exposed him badly today. If we had any kind of a confusing rush on Ray from the get go, we may have rattled him. That's what I thought they would do. But Nelson did the same thing he's done all year. Rush 4 and hope for the best.

Fail.
Yep, it's going to be really frustrating to see Montreal blitz the crap out of Ray as they always do and have an easy time ending the Argos season next week. I'd be surprised if the Argos offense generates 20 points next week.

We all knew what the key to victory was. The coaching staff had no clue, as they seldom do. Every single member of that staff can walk the plank. Not one area of this team that was well coached this year. Not a single one.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
maybe when Ottawa had a team

I believe the last time Ottawa was in the CFL, Kerry Joseph was their QB. Enough said.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Maybe read the thread first. Its no secret I would've pulled Joseph at the first quarter after giving Nichols a brief look at proceedings from the bench where he could properly assess what the Argos were doing.
Looks like that approach could've been pretty successful.
Joseph shouldn't have started...that is a critical point that you have skipped over.

Quote:
Ray "Owned" the Esks" We didn't require him to do anything but the most standard passes, short gainers and awful tacking and self destructed on our own. His two passing TD's generated were from the esks 25, and 35 yd line respectively. As if it were OT segments.. Even at that he required an interception to be overturned to get one of the TD's
The key in this game was to rush, pressure, sack, and hit Ray. We did none of the above playing right into his hands.
That was a very effective game plan by the Argos. Ray was releasing the ball quickly and when he did need protection he got it.

The Esks had no answers.

Quote:
Would be nicer if Ray played anything like this in his last half dozen years here.
Ah yes...this was predictable response.

Quote:
Way to be classy guy. We all suffered through this game. Good to look in the thread though and see yet more posters taking shots at Esks fans.

Enjoy cheering for the Argos
Okay...now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.

It was a harmless jab...lighten up.

This game was completely predictable...there were really no surprises. So other then the terrible Nichols injury there really shouldn't have been any suffering. Unless of course you hate Ray.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
timekeep

Quote:
I believe the last time Ottawa was in the CFL, Kerry Joseph was their QB. Enough said.
you're right, then he went to Sask in the dispersal draft, 1st overall. i think

Old
11-11-2012, 07:51 PM
AJGass4

Well another season done.

I hope there are few players done and one coach gone. Disgusted with what occurred today. Reed should be ashamed of himself and there a few players that I hope I never see in an Eskimo uniform again.

I don't mind getting beat but getting spanked it just goes to show everyone that our 2-8 record going into this game was not bad luck on our part, just a bad football team from management right down to our coach.

I am so tired of defending this team and I tried to stay positive but when you get blown out like that, meh, we are just bad.

Sorry Replacement, too disgused to find one positive in this one. And for all of the guys I defended on the team, go ahead and bash me, I deserve it.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Well. No Oilers no Eskimos now. :/

Old
11-11-2012, 08:16 PM
no doubt about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Well. No Oilers no Eskimos now. :/
what a pathetic team. 1 reciever no quarter backs and a perv as a general manager, Kavis is a nice guy but is not a head coach. What a way to destroy a flagship enterprise. I am just Po'd about he direction of the Skie's

Old
11-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Joseph shouldn't have started...that is a critical point that you have skipped over.
Starting Joseph wasn't the problem. he led an excellent 100 yd drive down field for the first TD on the opening drive. But as soon as he stalled, and the Esks momentum stalled, it was time to pull Joseph. If merely for it was time to give the team a lift at the right moment, say after the Boyd fumble, or after the Joseph shovel pass. That could have given a momentum boost and was one of the stated advantages in having Nichols come off as a reliever. if things aren't going right its a boost to the squad. Reed screwed it, as he often does.

Quote:

That was a very effective game plan by the Argos. Ray was releasing the ball quickly and when he did need protection he got it.

The Esks had no answers.
Ray executed it excellently, and quickly, and targets were available. The Argos played a simple, but effective offense, and executed it flawlessly at times. But we gave them no wrinkles to worry about. None. Kudos to players like Burnett that at least tried to instill some worry.

Quote:
Okay...now you're just trying to hurt my feelings.

It was a harmless jab...lighten up.

This game was completely predictable...there were really no surprises. So other then the terrible Nichols injury there really shouldn't have been any suffering. Unless of course you hate Ray.
We're all pissed off right now. The game has me out of sorts, bad mood, grumble grumble, just not the best time to ruffle feathers. I love the Eskimos, cheer resolutely for the club, so of course I'm upset at what unfolded today. More due to the coaching staff of this club not even giving us a chance to win.

Benefit of doubt is gone, totally. The one think I thought the club might be holding back on some wrinkles, different schemes, and that we'd get a better all round performance for instance out of the defensive and offensive lines.

The club sucked today, all round. Soon as things went bad, and soon as the interception was overturned, and Argos got the first TD due to that, the Esks were losing some composure. It was a delicate composure. They needed some things to go well early and ride that. We almost had that going.

That said a team with this little amount of commitment in adversity doesn't deserve more than it got.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post

I hope there are few players done and one coach gone. Disgusted with what occurred today. Reed should be ashamed of himself and there a few players that I hope I never see in an Eskimo uniform again.

I don't mind getting beat but getting spanked it just goes to show everyone that our 2-8 record going into this game was not bad luck on our part, just a bad football team from management right down to our coach.

I am so tired of defending this team and I tried to stay positive but when you get blown out like that, meh, we are just bad.

Sorry Replacement, too disgused to find one positive in this one. And for all of the guys I defended on the team, go ahead and bash me, I deserve it.
No, not at all. It was truly awful. We laid down as a whole club after the argos got rolling. Really the intensity was way down after the first 2 argo scores. How Reed didn't sense that momentum was just rolling us downhill is beyond me. As others have said he seems to have no reads on he pulse of a game. We needed a spark, we needed Nichols in the 2nd quarter.

We need a revamped coaching staff. The players have lost faith in this one. I was hoping they had something more today. But the belief just isn't there.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:08 PM
hyster110

early reports are that nichols has a dislocated ankle

Old
11-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

No one is going to bash you, or should bash you. Now, there are some people and players in the Eskimo organization that could use a good bashing, however....

Old
11-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
And for all of the guys I defended on the team, go ahead and bash me, I deserve it.
I'll bash you, just to spice up this thread!

Old
11-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Rawg
CEM

Has a pic of nichols ankle/leg been posted?

Old
11-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
Has a pic of nichols ankle/leg been posted?
far too many, if you'd taken the time to go through the thread.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:

nah. There were a few people who coming into this game seemed to view it through fan goggles instead of being realistic, but no need to really get on your guys for it.

I'd rather curse how bad of a coach reed is.
guymez and anyone else who mentioned reed is clueless to the pulse and flow of a football game had it right. he may be a nice fellow and a smart fellow but he has no coaching instincts.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Regarding Tillman and The Trade, you'd think there'd be better safeguards to prevent someone from ****ing up the franchise. You think Lowe would let Tambo trade Hall for practically nothing? Hell, Katz would probably fire them both.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
If Jyles is back here again, there will be torches and pitchforks at the Eskimos head offices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
So you're saying it's Jyles team again.

sigh
I don't see anything down the pipe that is going to change it. I don't think Joseph is going to be that much of a step over Jyles next year. I agree one hundred percent it shouldn't be that way. This guy already had his chance here and we already gave him the boot.

I think the Eskimos have to make a splash and get a QB ready to embrace a starting role. I agree with a previous post, Calgary just seems to find quarterbacks. We don't have that luxury and haven't as long as I've been a fan... I remember struggling with Greene and Mass before Ray came out of no where.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Can't say I'm shocked - JC was a huge loss, Ray was on his game (despite some clearly still trying to discredit him), Kavis took too long to pull KJ and the Nichols injured sewered any hope of a comeback.

That said, the cancer is gone, time to start healing. Biggest off-season the Esks have had in ages (keep in mind, Tillman was hired mid-season).

Old
11-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
If all Nichols has is a dislocated ankle, that is truly a miracle.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
Well that was a complete CF. i like Reed and wanted to see if he could call a good game without the the shadow of ET over him but he just made the dunmb decisions he has made all year. The rest of the coaching staff is no better.

1) Starting KJ was the first mistake. He had 2 good games but has been useless besides that. For those 2 games I actually thought he might have more in him for 1 last hooray, but boy was I wrong. MN was starting to get some chemistry and was our best chance to win.
2) Nelson , rushing 4 against RR is suicide. You have to blitz RR early to get him off his game. once he gets in a comfort zone he will pick you apart.
3)KJ's shovel pass which a veteran QB should not have tried. The score was 14-7 at that point and we were 1st and 10 on the TO 24. Take the loss, we're still 2nd and long but well with FG range.
4) Kj should have come out after the It but even worse was the play calling. TO had all the momentem but we abanond the running game and decide that throwing hail marys was the way to get back into it.
5) As most evreyone predicated MN came in when the game was out of reach and was thrown to the lions.

Sorry to rehash a lot of points that have already been pointed out.

Rant over

Old
11-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Let's also just remember that Jyles was 5-4 as a starter this year for the Eskimos.
That's because Jyles was the early season starter before the Eskimo defense was completley run into the ground. The reason a guy like Sherritt was able to break the CFL tackle record is because the ****ing defense was out on the field so much. Jyles sucked balls, Joseph was much better than he was and that's not saying much.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Stoneman89

And now it's also time to ask for the neck of arrogant team president Len Rhodes. It was he that said he approved of the Ricky Ray trade. To approve the shyte that we got back and no QB options is a fireable offence. Start at the top and let's clean this house once and for all. The stench is unbelievable.

Closed Thread