HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

A Bad Lawyer Can Drag A Case For Years, A Good Lawyer Even Longer (CBA/Lockout) XXVI

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Ari91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
Fehr asked for 250 million and no restrictions. The NHL wanted 180 million with restrictions. The current reports have it set at 250 million with no restrictions. One side got what they asked for the other side completely caved. Now if you want to argue that Bettman new more revenue sharing was needed and was going to cave anyway, well then I would agree.
Isn't it 220M with no restrictions? I don't think the league agreed to 250M but I didn't look at the pressers after Friday's negotiations by either Fehr or Daly/Bettman so I could be wrong.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:51 PM
Andy

"the owners would like for the players to have zero bargaining power, everybody understands that"-Fehr explaining that under the owners proposals that the players would have less rights and less leverage and gives the reason why they want this.

What a bunch of bull-crap rhetoric.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:52 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
If 75% of the players would vote to accept the deal against their executive committees recommendation, then we'd have a deal. Obviously they dont think its the owners best offer yet.

Over under on owners who would accept Fehr's offer to get back to playing now : 50%. But majority rule doesnt apply to the owners does it.
I'll take the under and not lose a second of sleep. Even the doviest doves aren't about to accept a salary cap based on a flat number that revenues may not actually hit.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

Don't know when the deal is struck but IMO season starts December 1st.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
The league will not need contract length restrictions as long as they get the 5% salary variation.
That's what I'm.thinking. all.I would think they should be locked on is the 5% variance. Who gives a **** about everything else as long as they stop the backdiving as Bobby Mac, lebrun, etc.have said. But it.prolly.all.comes.down to settling make whole first before any of that stuff gets sorted as the tsn crew has also stated.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post

Players expect the owners best offer in December. The owners expect the players best offer in December. The last waltz is coming soon.
What is this best offer? Admit it - you have no idea.

Even if you don't like the owners, put yourselves in their shoes - would you cave to get 50% of revenue? If they weren't incentivized at 100% revenue, why would they have more reason to start the season with a significant loss in revenue - AND accept an inferior deal to boot?

Old
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Russo's latest rant:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi.../57299562.html

Speaking of nuclear, when Don Fehr gets to the point where he goes after the cap, ...

Wonder if it ever gets to the point where Fehr would allow players to vote -- you know, the players who have gotten roped into this lockout, can't afford to be losing salaries and will undoubtedly lose their careers when this thing ends.

After all, it's their livelihoods and they're going to have to accept the consequences. My guess? No.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
"the owners would like for the players to have zero bargaining power, everybody understands that"-Fehr explaining that under the owners proposals that the players would have less rights and less leverage and gives the reason why they want this.

What a bunch of bull-crap rhetoric.
When there are 30 teams in the league willing to offer players contracts, how is even ZERO bargaining power possible? For instance, so did Parise had 1 single offer this July?

Fehr's spins make no sense.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:03 PM
mikelvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP of West Hollywd View Post
Don't know when the deal is struck but IMO season starts December 1st.
My opinion, the season is over, too much toxicity, too many egos. Fehr intimidates them and they will refuse to give in to him. Biting off nose to spite face.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 123
You guys seem to be forgetting that [MOD] Gary began this lockout, and has been maintaining a consistant beligerent tone throughout the process intersperced with a calculated faux "we are close" only to step back and say "we are far apart". What we're seeing here is Gary's menu of negotiating tactics that is designed to either 1) capitulate the union, or 2) After the elections in Phoenix in January.

Last edited by Crease: 11-11-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Unnecessary
Old
11-11-2012, 08:06 PM
MrNasty

So according to Mackenzie...the NHL is offering the players their full salary (at 5% growth) for the next two years which is what they players wanted and will get to 50/50 in year 3 not 1...the players are now asking for a raise on top of it...and both side have agreed to 14 of the 17 contract issues...how the phuck can this deal not be made!!!!!!!

Old
11-11-2012, 08:09 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Russo's latest rant:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi.../57299562.html

Speaking of nuclear, when Don Fehr gets to the point where he goes after the cap, ...

Wonder if it ever gets to the point where Fehr would allow players to vote -- you know, the players who have gotten roped into this lockout, can't afford to be losing salaries and will undoubtedly lose their careers when this thing ends.

After all, it's their livelihoods and they're going to have to accept the consequences. My guess? No.
So the league sacrificed one full year to implement the cap and Fehr expects the owners concede first by giving up the cap? Truth to be told, Fehr's got no other plan B besides waiting for the league to give in first.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:10 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
You guys seem to be forgetting that MOD Gary began this lockout, and has been maintaining a consistant beligerent tone throughout the process intersperced with a calculated faux "we are close" only to step back and say "we are far apart". What we're seeing here is Gary's menu of negotiating tactics that is designed to either 1) capitulate the union, or 2) After the elections in Phoenix in January.
Bettman was given no alternative given Fehr's history of 1994 MLB strike and 5 past work stoppages.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 11-11-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: qep
Old
11-11-2012, 08:12 PM
mossey3535

I agree with Cox for once. It's ironic that the NHL seems like the side who is more eager to make a deal, when in fact every second that ticks off the clock gives them a de facto rollback on player salaries.

If anyone on this board knows a player, they should implore them to explore their options. Stalling is the WORST thing the players could do. The owners will always have the financial upper hand in a war of attrition.

This salary will NEVER be recouped. Ever. I don't understand this at all. It doesn't make financial sense, and it doesn't satisfy any kind of moral stance. It's one thing to spin stuff for PR's sake, but you're not supposed to blindly believe it.

For example - the deterrence strategy. What a load of crap. If you were an NHL owner losing money, and then at the end of next CBA you were still losing money then damn skippy you would lock out the players again. You wouldn't even think twice. I hate that Fehr is trying to spin it like he was the author of MLB labour peace when in fact it's people like me who never watched another MLB game again who were the ones who scared both sides into not having another work stoppage.

Seriously, this is a tragedy for the players.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
So according to Mackenzie...the NHL is offering the players their full salary (at 5% growth) for the next two years which is what they players wanted and will get to 50/50 in year 3 not 1...the players are now asking for a raise on top of it...and both side have agreed to 14 of the 17 contract issues...how the phuck can this deal not be made!!!!!!!
Fehrs strategy. Every time the league moves towards the pa.. The pa asks for more.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
stug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
Fehr doesn´t want to get a deal now, that is why.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I agree with Cox for once. It's ironic that the NHL seems like the side who is more eager to make a deal, when in fact every second that ticks off the clock gives them a de facto rollback on player salaries.

If anyone on this board knows a player, they should implore them to explore their options. Stalling is the WORST thing the players could do. The owners will always have the financial upper hand in a war of attrition.

This salary will NEVER be recouped. Ever. I don't understand this at all. It doesn't make financial sense, and it doesn't satisfy any kind of moral stance. It's one thing to spin stuff for PR's sake, but you're not supposed to blindly believe it.
My guess is Fehr has the players believing they will get that money back.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:17 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I don't get why the owners want to limit the '2nd year deal' and they keep mentioning Stamkos and other stars who are young..etc. Aren't they worth it? I mean all those examples are from awesome players who should be paid the big bucks..who ****ing cares how old they are. good grief.

Old
BLONG7

No wonder the PA always seem to throw their guy under the bus...

Old
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
My guess is Fehr has the players believing they will get that money back.
I agree, at least the only one that makes any sense to me.

Jagr has said most players don't know the exact figures being thrown around and the leaked NHLPA memo never mentioned a single number.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:18 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I'm pretty confident that at the end of this, the players will get something worse than what they'd have gotten if they'd just taken the owners offer for Nov 2 and tried to bargain for what they could on the peripheral issues. There was so little separating the sides then that about 25 games cancelled makes up the whole difference. And the players surely won't end up getting the whole difference conceded through negotiations anyways.

Plus the game will be less popular when it comes back, cutting down on future caps.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:18 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
If the season is cancelled, does it remove a year off of existing contracts? E.g. does this year count event thought they didnt play? I forgot what happened last time.
Can this be negotiated? If it can, I am sure Fehr will have something to say about it.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
MISC*
Negged.

I am a huge Bettman fan.

I am hoping for the season to be lost and for the players to get absolutely crushed next summer when they negotiate again. 65% - 35%.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
uncleherman77

After watching those two videos on the last page I really can't see the NHL losing a full season over player contracting issues. If they do their position of worst run league in North America will be set for the next while.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:27 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleherman77 View Post
After watching those two videos on the last page I really can't see the NHL losing a full season over player contracting issues. If they do their position of worst run league in North America will be set for the next while.
I think that's a given no matter how this turns out.

Closed Thread