HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
flyers28giroux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
embedded:

That was a nice goal and he showed some good skill on that goal.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

vCash: 50
Another good game for the kid.

1G 1A.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

He's really adjusted well to the WHL.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:51 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Another good game for the kid.

1G 1A.
Glad to hear he is getting accumulating to the WHL pace.

11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Wonder where all the 'he's off to such a slow start' people are now?

The kid is finally getting some pucks to find the net for him. Good for him, his stats don't justify just how well he's played so far this season.
I saw him play live last night in Portlands 9-5 win over the giants and expected big things from the guy I expect to go #2 in the 13 draft.

He was better than advertised IMO.

The guy was literally a man among boys and controlled the ice every time he was on it. His poise and positioning and decision making are just incredible for a draft age guy.

I love Nathan but really can see Jones making a hard push for #1 overall as he could play top minutes in the NHL right now IMO.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I saw him play live last night in Portlands 9-5 win over the giants and expected big things from the guy I expect to go #2 in the 13 draft.

He was better than advertised IMO.

The guy was literally a man among boys and controlled the ice every time he was on it. His poise and positioning and decision making are just incredible for a draft age guy.

I love Nathan but really can see Jones making a hard push for #1 overall as he could play top minutes in the NHL right now IMO.
I was there too but I disagree that he could play top minutes in the NHL right now.

He was extremely poised and makes great decisions, but don't think he currently has that extra gear to really take control of an NHL level game.

This is something he can most definitely develop through experience, but I just don't think he's quite there YET.

I have yet to see MacKinnion, but I think it'll be hard to beat out an electric, goal-scoring centerman IMO.

Last edited by Circulartheory: 11-10-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old
11-10-2012, 07:12 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Lets not forget that Jonathan Drouin is rising...

Is Jones keeping pace ?

Old
11-10-2012, 07:22 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post

Is Jones keeping pace ?
Seth Jones will be a top 3 pick whether he puts up fantastic offensive numbers or not this season based purely on his physical tools and raw ability. His blend of size, mobility, skill and hockey IQ is that rare. His potential ceiling is through the roof and scouts will recognize that regardless if he blows them away on the scoresheet this year.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:36 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Seth Jones will be a top 3 pick whether he puts up fantastic offensive numbers or not this season based purely on his physical tools and raw ability. His blend of size, mobility, skill and hockey IQ is that rare. His potential ceiling is through the roof and scouts will recognize that regardless if he blows them away on the scoresheet this year.
Agreed. He has the potential to be the best dman in the NHL one day, and that won't be passed up. It's hard to believe someone can be so dominant in so many different areas of the game

Old
11-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

He is unbelievable. I watched the game on tv last night and he is an unbelievable talent. All the little things he does is unreal(keeping a tight gap and checking the forwards well before his blue line, the way he protects the puck and makes the outlet pass in his end etc, etc) And not to mention his size, skating ability, PP ability, PK ability, offensive awareness. I think when it comes to the NHL draft, it will ultimately come down to in this case, although it's never admitted by NHL teams, but to draft on need instead of best player available. If the team with the number 1 pick is in dire NEED of a franchise dman, Jones will be #1, but if a team NEEDS a franchise forward, itll be MacKinnon. I think MacKinnon and Jones will be neck and neck all season for that number 1 spot so it will be tough to determine the best player available.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Claypool
Montreal is garbage.

Hard to pass up a big defenseman who can skate like the wind and quarterback a power play. Those are the types of players to need to have a winning team for a decade or two. It's worth the risk.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

A guy with his size that can skate... Wow

Old
11-10-2012, 09:08 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I can't wait to see him at the WJC's, who's his partner in Portland ?

Old
11-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:

Is Jones keeping pace ?
yes Jones is keeping pace with Nathan, Druin is rising but let's slow down that HYPE train a bit shall we.

Nathan will most likely go 1st, and I would pick him there too but if a team like Edmonton picks 1st again then there is a strong case of taking Jones IMO.

Quote:
He truly is the total package, in the game I saw the other team didn't even really generate a decent scoring chance while Jones was on the ice and if they had more than 1 or 2 shots when he was on I would be very surprised. (I had a great view on the Portland Blueline less than 10 rows up for their 1st and 3rd periods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
He is unbelievable. I watched the game on tv last night and he is an unbelievable talent. All the little things he does is unreal(keeping a tight gap and checking the forwards well before his blue line, the way he protects the puck and makes the outlet pass in his end etc, etc) And not to mention his size, skating ability, PP ability, PK ability, offensive awareness. I think when it comes to the NHL draft, it will ultimately come down to in this case, although it's never admitted by NHL teams, but to draft on need instead of best player available. If the team with the number 1 pick is in dire NEED of a franchise dman, Jones will be #1, but if a team NEEDS a franchise forward, itll be MacKinnon. I think MacKinnon and Jones will be neck and neck all season for that number 1 spot so it will be tough to determine the best player available.
I agree he does all the little things as well as the big things extremely well. If anything he looked like he would do jsut enough out there at times but that extra gear and rush was there when he needed it.

His poise and decision making under pressure were the most impressive things though and that's very telling because his skill set is outstanding as well.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:15 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Edmonton can't pick 1st 4 years in a row from what I know..

Old
11-10-2012, 11:22 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

With the 2nd overall pick the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select...

:puke:

Old
11-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I can't wait to see him at the WJC's, who's his partner in Portland ?
From the game I saw Tyler Wotherspoon on even strength but Derrick Pouliot on the powerplay.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:51 AM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Where did you get that? From what I gather they would have 1 ball in a lottery (if season was lost). Also, if they continue there upwards trend to 28th they still would have a good chance of landing the 1st overall pick....

Old
11-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Hynh

Quote:
If they use the 2005 method then the Oilers have a 1 in 50 chance of winning the first pick and then 1/47, 1/48 or 1/49 chance for second. The worst chances of all teams but still a chance. And if they do play a season then the Oilers could finish as high as 25th (80 points lately) and have a 6.2% chance of drafting second.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:46 PM
PumpkinBomb

Oilers need a 2nd line C way more than they need D.

But not to derail the thread;
Jones looks good. Was worried he wouldn't have the offense in the dub but it seems to be there.

Old
11-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Exit Dose

No one is going to pass over Jones because they need a 2C.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:08 PM
jigglysquishy

You always go BPA. That's the rule for drafting. Most scouts believe MacKinnon will be a better player than Jones, so he'll get drafted first.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:19 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Yeah, this guy looks like a once in a lifetime type prospect. If Edmonton picks at #2 and Jones is still there no way do they not pick him.

11-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
You always go BPA. That's the rule for drafting. Most scouts believe MacKinnon will be a better player than Jones, so he'll get drafted first.
I've never seen it framed that way. The issue seems to be that more scouts/teams *seem* to favor a 1C over a 1D, but the comparison doesn't really go anywhere beyond that.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Oilers need a 2nd line C way more than they need D.

But not to derail the thread;
Jones looks good. Was worried he wouldn't have the offense in the dub but it seems to be there.
The Oilers need a number 1 defenseman (Jones) a lot more than a number 2 centreman.No way they pass over Seth Jones.

It's illogical though to be talking about this since the Oilers won't be drafting high thanks to the lottery format.

Closed Thread