HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 08:03 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Tell us who you wanted them to pick at the time and we will keep track on who was right and who was wrong.
I wanted either Matt Finn or Dalton Thrower. If the oilers believed that Moroz was the BPA at 32 I have no problem with the pick, but it looks like they drafted for need. I just don't see how a 27th place team should draft for need. Using essentially a late 1st isn't worth using on a 3rd line winger.

I would love for him to become an Andrew Ladd/Jamie Benn type player and prove me wrong. Until then though, I will remain skeptical of going against BPA in the 1st 2 rounds.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:18 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I wanted either Matt Finn or Dalton Thrower. If the oilers believed that Moroz was the BPA at 32 I have no problem with the pick, but it looks like they drafted for need. I just don't see how a 27th place team should draft for need. Using essentially a late 1st isn't worth using on a 3rd line winger.

I would love for him to become an Andrew Ladd/Jamie Benn type player and prove me wrong. Until then though, I will remain skeptical of going against BPA in the 1st 2 rounds.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post

Pick one.

I probably wouldve went with Thrower. But I would already be regretting it. Damon Severson looks like a player this year.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pick one.

I probably wouldve went with Thrower. But I would already be regretting it. Damon Severson looks like a player this year.
I think most wanted Thrower with that pick. It was a 2nd round pick and there wasn't alot of obvious players left so Moroz isn't that bad of a pick.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:08 PM
JustinCider

I wanted Thrower as well. it's still way too early to tell. Moroz is a project for sure, he was the pick, now it's time to just sit back and wait.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:33 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Pick one.

Given my rankings it would have been Matt Finn then. His 18 points in 21 games is hard to argue with.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:02 PM
ales83fan

I wanted Finn.

Moroz could be a player, but all the games I've been to this year (4) I was not impressed. He looked lazy. Didn't get anything done. Was slow. And took a lot of stupid penalties. Hey hopefully he reads this, works hard, and becomes a player. Because honestly, I'm not sure which of our second rounders will pan out.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
I wanted Finn.

Moroz could be a player, but all the games I've been to this year (4) I was not impressed. He looked lazy. Didn't get anything done. Was slow. And took a lot of stupid penalties. Hey hopefully he reads this, works hard, and becomes a player. Because honestly, I'm not sure which of our second rounders will pan out.
Keegan Lowe has 65pims, Ewanyk 55 and Moroz has 34.

Moroz has 11pts, Ewanyk 9, Lowe 7.

He is actually a pretty good skater and isnt "slow".

Old
11-12-2012, 03:16 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
I wanted Finn.

How generous of you.
I'm sure he'll read this turn his career around. On behalf of all Oilers/Oil Kings fans, thank you for saving Mitch Moroz.

Last edited by 40oz: 11-12-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old
11-12-2012, 04:01 AM
dnicks17

Have the people who wanted Finn at least watched him play a handful of times?

He's average sized(6'0'' 200lbs), an average skater and far from having a dynamic offensive side.

I don't see the intrigue of choosing a 6'0'', worse skating Smid over Moroz.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

He's average sized(6'0'' 200lbs), an average skater and far from having a dynamic offensive side.

I actually agree. The Oilers have a boat load of solid defensive prospects. Choosing a guy who would likely not bring anything special to the table because he was ranked higher was not the right strategy. Especially if you look at the fact that they pick Laleggia later in the same draft. There is a guy who has less chance of being an NHL'er than Finn perhaps, but much more chance of being an impact player if he ever does make it.

It seems that the Oilers wanted Moroz and that they knew that he was likely to go in the first half of the second. I believe we heard at the time that they thought there was a team picking around 35 that was very interested. This was not viewed as a deep draft so it is not like their were a bunch of sure fire NHL'er sitting there unpicked. So why not take a flyer on the type of guy that could fill a big hole in the future, especially if you have almost no one else in the system who could do so.

The pick was a surprise, but I think it was perfectly reasonable given the circumstances at the time it happend.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

When you put it that way it doesn't sound like we left much on the table by passing on him.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 11-12-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
You can never have enough young defencemen with potential in your system.

Go back a few years and we had Lynch, Woywitka, and a plethora of other young guys in the system. Fast forward a few years and basically none of them developed into what we expected. Drafting based on the perceived depth of your prospect pool is incredibly risky given the high rate or prospects not developing.

I don't mind the addition of Moroz but I would have been a lot happier had we have selected him in the 3rd round. The odds of him falling that far weren't great on draft day and thus I would have been okay with the Oilers not selecting him.
The Lynch years was when we had Fraser/Prendergast drafting 'nuff said on subject. While I don't think that Stu is some kind of drafting savant, I do think that he is better than the previous head scout. Schultz is as surefire as it gets, then you have Smid and Petry who are already somewhat proven who are both a good age. So it comes down to this, we have 3/4 top 4 spots locked up for sometime barring unforeseen circumstances. So it comes down to this, could we trade a guy like Gagner or Hemsky for a top 4 D even if it's a package deal? Is it unlikely for one of Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, or Gernat to be that 4th top 4 D? Is Finn a better bet to get there than even 3 of the 4 that I've just listed? Klefbom is not Woywitka, he is behind Schultz, but he is a fairly sure bet as well. Brodin and Klefbom are said to be in the same class of player and Brodin looked very good against the Barons, IMO Klefbom will be a top 4 D.

So back to the toughness that can play part, who do we have? Eager? I guess, when he wants to play tough he can. So it comes down to Moroz and Ewanyk. If Moroz becomes a 3rd line physical player it's a solid pick, if Ewanyk becomes a tough as nails spark plug on the 4th line that can be a bit of a pest to the opposition, that was a solid pick.

Moroz is just what the Dr. ordered for us, and we have taken big swings for guys with skill, Martindale, Rajala, Rieder, Roy, Zharkov, Gernat, and Laleggia were all taken after they fell (in Laleggia's/Gernat's case because they are very talented).

I for one wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a projected top 6 center with our 1st round pick this year, it'll be interesting to see what the blogosphere will say about that if Gagner is still around by then. This team needs an infusion of toughness, grit, and strength up front in a bad way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
You can add in Paajarvi and Yakupov. Likewise, if we're even going to consider guys like Gernat, Marincin, and Musil, we need to look at guys like Hamilton and Lander as well.

The only area we're really "missing" in terms of prospects is elite, top-end forwards and that need is somewhat alleviated given that we have NHL-proven young players in Hall, Eberle, and RNH along with a guy like Yakupov who will almost certainly turn out.

We need to continue drafting the best player available. If it's a defenceman, great. If it's a big forward, great too.
Somewhat alleviated? Unless an elite forward drops into our laps and we can't pass him up, or it is an elite forward with size/grit/toughness (preferably a center), we aren't in need of that kind of player unless it's as trade bait. We will have 5 guys making big coin for us in the next 3 years and at some point we need to spread the wealth a bit. Most teams don't have more than 4 really high end forwards under the cap system and unless the player fits the criteria above or it's an elite forward vs. drafting crap IMO our forwards are set in terms of elite forwards.

Besides elite talent IMO the toughest thing to acquire is toughness that can play. These players become extremely valuable in the postseason and in general are hard to come by.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:35 PM
jmoss45

I still fault them for not trading up to get Samuelsson, especially after all that talk of moving up in the draft. If that was the guy they were targeting, who cares what additional picks you give up? The Oil have plenty of decent prospects in the system, adding in an additional 3rd rounder to move up a couple spots is nothing.. Especially when Samuelsson brings the grit, scoring and ability to play C the Oil so sorely lack.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I still fault them for not trading up to get Samuelsson, especially after all that talk of moving up in the draft. If that was the guy they were targeting, who cares what additional picks you give up? The Oil have plenty of decent prospects in the system, adding in an additional 3rd rounder to move up a couple spots is nothing.. Especially when Samuelsson brings the grit, scoring and ability to play C the Oil so sorely lack.
You can only trade up if the other teams are willing to deal. They had a pair of 3rd rounders last year, if that's what it too, I'm pretty sure that they would've ponied up. This year we have a pair of 2nd rounders, it'll be interesting to see if we'll use both or use one or both to trade up or add roster players.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:36 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
The cost to acquire Samuelsson would have been ridiculously high. Trying to get that pick would have been like a team trying to get the pick the Oilers used to draft Eberle. Think player + prospect + pick.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Geez, like we haven't heard that moving up in the draft jargon before.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
The cost to acquire Samuelsson would have been ridiculously high. Trying to get that pick would have been like a team trying to get the pick the Oilers used to draft Eberle. Think player + prospect + pick.
Buffalo traded their first (21) and second to get Calgary's first (15).

What could we have offered Calgary to get that pick?

Would they have even considered trading it to a division rival?

Edmonton's second 2012, second 2013 and Anaheim's second 2013?

Maybe throw in Gernat or something like that?

Sabres traded Paul Gaustad to the preds for the #21 pick.

We didnt really have anything like that to offer.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

yep, and the Gaustad trade was at the deadline and was considered a big overpay by Nashville by most.

I think the discissuion would have been Gagner + most likely.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:

I think you would be massively overpaying there. Two seconds would cut it for sure in my mind. Especially considering their dark horse would definitely been sitting around. We could've dealt for the 21st pick after Calgary acquired it realistically. We all know Gretzky 2.0 wasn't getting selected there either. Unless of course Feaster believed someone else was feasting their eyes on Jankowski as a honey glazed ham like he was.

I'm not convinced that Samuelsson was worth that type of compensation are you? Considering that you've had more viewings of him than I have. At that pick you have to look at Subban and Maata too. Of course Gaunce who I would've loved to grab personally.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I am the Liquor

I would take samuelsson over Gaunce. You would have to think about Subban and Maata but if you are moving up you likely have a specific player in mind.

I think Samuelsson is comparable to thomas sandstrom or whoever that pesky player for the Kings back in the day was.

Phoenix did well.

Closed Thread