HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

vCash: 500
Take it for what it's worth-A friend of mine says she knows one of the Penguin scouts who told her Pouliot was the #3 player on their draft board.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Take it for what it's worth-A friend of mine says she knows one of the Penguin scouts who told her Pouliot was the #3 player on their draft board.
Guessing 2 of Rielly, Reinhart & Murray were #1,2.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:49 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Guessing 2 of Rielly, Reinhart & Murray were #1,2.
Wonder if Yakupov made their top 10?

Old
11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
They must not have been the only team with a bead on Pouliot or else they probably would have traded down a bit from #8.
She also said the rumer on draft day was that Buffalo was high on Pouliot and would have taken him with th 12th or 14th pick.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:07 PM
penguins2946*

Grigorenko had 4 goals today. He is averaging 2 PPG in the Q this year. It makes me cry

Zoblin had another assist today. 14 game point streak for him.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:10 PM
JTG

He's definitely destroying Jr hockey right now.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Jacob

Interesting.. certainly Yakupov was #1, I'm guessing Murray was #2.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Grigorenko had 4 goals today. He is averaging 2 PPG in the Q this year. It makes me cry
Might be even more impressive that's there's only been one game where he hasn't registered a point.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:20 PM
penguins2946*

That seems kinda high for Pouliot. No way he was ranked above Murray or Yakupov, and he probable wasn't ranked above Reinhart or Rielly. He was probably 3rd behind Murray and Yakupov. Reinhart isn't that good offensively, and Rielly was hurt for much of last year. I would have loved to see the Pens trade up to get Murray to play along Letang for the next 10 years. And Reinhart has like 7 points in 22 games so far this year, so I'm kinda glad we didn't pick him. Rielly has pretty much the same amount of points as Pouliot.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Pouliot is actually leading MajorJuniors Defenseman in points per game average.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

BTW-I did not think to ask if she knew who was ahead of him on the board.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Thats cool to hear. In term of elite skill I would say its Yakapov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, DePo, Grigs and Teravainen. Sure you have mature kids like Murray but I could easily see him becoming a Sydor type. Those other kids have skills that can't be taught.

Pouliot vs Rielly is a good one. Both are really skilled but I like Pouliots compete level more. Plus you have to think the Pens have been watching Morrow and know everything they need to know about Pouliot.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats cool to hear. In term of elite skill I would say its Yakapov, Galchenyuk, Rielly, DePo, Grigs and Teravainen. Sure you have mature kids like Murray but I could easily see him becoming a Sydor type. Those other kids have skills that can't be taught.

Pouliot vs Rielly is a good one. Both are really skilled but I like Pouliots compete level more. Plus you have to think the Pens have been watching Morrow and know everything they need to know about Pouliot.
Word round here before we made the trade was that we were really high on DP because we saw him so much more than other teams while watching Morrow....

Old
11-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Pouliot is actually leading MajorJuniors Defenseman in points per game average.
No...

Quote:
Word round here before we made the trade was that we were really high on DP because we saw him so much more than other teams while watching Morrow....
I hate that reasoning, but the Pens drafting record suggests it's more than plausible.

Wouldn't every team that has a prospect playing on the same team as a draft-eligible player have an "inside track" on him? Who's to say they aren't just being swayed by familiarity at the expense of better prospects on other teams?

Old
11-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I like the Pouliot pick. D-Men with his skill set are usually worth a premium in the NHL today. It just needs to translate from junior to the NHL but that's the question with all these kids. He's no closer or further away from doing that than any guys that went after him.

Seemed like this past draft was Yakupov, Murray and then a bunch of other guys that were questionable for various reasons. Galchenyuk had a major injury in junior, Grigorenko was a guy that I read the KHL would go hard after. I think the Russian factor certainly hurt him a bit.

I can see the rumor of the Pens having Pouliot as the #3 overall player on their board being true. Sometimes scouts just love a certain player way more than most people do and it's possible this is one example of that.

It would have been funny if we picked him at #3 either by an entirely different Staal deal or by making the Carolina deal earlier in the day and using the #8 pick to move up to that spot to pick Pouliot. I can just imagine the outrage on here with picking him at #3 since some weren't even happy with picking him at #8.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:22 AM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

Much rather have picked Forsberg over Grigorenko at #8, yes Grigorenko is killing it but he's mainly a center and we would have had no use for him whatsoever. I would have much rather have picked a player with a main position of RW not to mention that he was higher rated than Grigorenko at the draft.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Karnage420

still would have preferred a forward at that spot. pick will never make sense to me with grig and forsberg out there.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:26 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'll assure you there was no shortage of D-man before the Pouliot pick. I doubt a forward was ever in their top 3. That in itself is a problem. Especially when they're afforded the gamble of having an already solid D-pool too take a forward.

Two R-wings were taken after Yakupov and both were gobbled up by the Caps.
Forsberg/Wilson and then there was still, Teravainen.

Regardless, the whole BPA was totally disregarded. Pouliot at 12/14 would have been totally exceptable had the Pens picks been there.

Quote:
# Player Nationality NHL Team College/Junior/Club Team
1 Nail Yakupov (RW) Russia Edmonton Oilers Sarnia (OHL)
2 Ryan Murray (D) Canada Columbus Blue Jackets Everett (WHL)
3 Alex Galchenyuk (C) United States Montreal Canadiens Sarnia (OHL)
4 Griffin Reinhart (D) Canada New York Islanders Edmonton (WHL)
5 Morgan Rielly (D) Canada Toronto Maple Leafs Moose Jaw (WHL)
6 Hampus Lindholm (D) Sweden Anaheim Ducks Rögle (Allsvenskan)
7 Mathew Dumba (D) Canada Minnesota Wild Red Deer (WHL)
Unless we all feel Letang will be washed aside by one of these two futures in Morrow and Pouliot, but Letang should be our next longest tenured D-man after Orpik has moved on. We're not gonna be able to pull off trades the likes of Whitney & Goligoski everytime. I think we're gonna see a trade that doesn't quite meet up to our expectations in the near future, and the cost will be immense. GM's are getting tighter, the last couple seasons should prove this. A lot of D-man were getting picked, and that well could end up drying up.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The BPA was not disregarded. The Pens thought Pouliot was the BPA. Not sure what people don't understand about that. You can disagree with their evaluation but I cannot see a team saying this guy (Pouliot) is worse than 5 other guys on our board but we're going to take him anyway because he's a D-Man or plays with one of our other prospects. I just can't buy that. It's not logical. They just had this kid ranked higher than most. We'll see if they're right in time but no one knows the answer to that right now.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Much rather have picked Forsberg over Grigorenko at #8, yes Grigorenko is killing it but he's mainly a center and we would have had no use for him whatsoever. I would have much rather have picked a player with a main position of RW not to mention that he was higher rated than Grigorenko at the draft.
There are also a ton of rumors going around that he's really 21. So manhandling the Q goes out the window.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
No...

I hate that reasoning, but the Pens drafting record suggests it's more than plausible.

Wouldn't every team that has a prospect playing on the same team as a draft-eligible player have an "inside track" on him? Who's to say they aren't just being swayed by familiarity at the expense of better prospects on other teams?
Oops, my bad. How could I forget Dougie Hamilton?

And I see your reasoning Roddy on scouting, but I was just relaying what some media folks were saying before the draft. Which I found posted here.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
deakka

Myles Bell has played the same amount of games and Bell has 7 points more then Pouliot, Pulock and klichton has 1 more game played but has 3 and 4 points more than Pouliot. And thats only players from WHL.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Myles Bell has played the same amount of games and Bell has 7 points more then Pouliot, Pulock and klichton has 1 more game played but has 3 and 4 points more than Pouliot. And thats only players from WHL.
Back-pedal, back-pedal. Clearly my quick perusal of the the CHL scoring leaders was deficient as I was not familiar with the undrafted overager Bell, or the 13 draft eligible Pulock who appears to be having an amazing season. Thought they were forwards.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Back-pedal, back-pedal. Clearly my quick perusal of the the CHL scoring leaders was deficient as I was not familiar with the undrafted overager Bell, or the 13 draft eligible Pulock who appears to be having an amazing season. Thought they were forwards.
Bell is the moron that drove his car like an idiot and killed a girl a few years ago. Pretty sure that's why no-one has ever drafted him.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:15 PM
deakka

Archibald has had a nice start this sason with 9 points in 10 games

Closed Thread