HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 04:02 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Anyone have some details about Brett Hargrave? How does he look? His stats are on the low side from what I expected. Is he still very inconsistent? disengaged ? Does he appear to be too soft or intimidated? He has a boat load of potential and a ton of tools. If he is scared out there, none of that will show. Some people think he will be a late bloomer.

Old
11-10-2012, 05:28 AM
StungbySting

Anyone know what time team Russia is practicing at today? Going to drop by the rink and check it out

Old
11-10-2012, 07:50 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
Anyone know what time team Russia is practicing at today? Going to drop by the rink and check it out
4 pm today,10:30 am tomorrow

Old
11-11-2012, 07:44 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Making the trip to the RBC for Monday's game...sec 101 ..look for the Brayden Schenn CHL top prospects jersey.

Love the RBC for games.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Sting Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Making the trip to the RBC for Monday's game...sec 101 ..look for the Brayden Schenn CHL top prospects jersey.

Love the RBC for games.
Make sure you stop by Section 106 and say hello
Always enjoy talking to Knights fans

Old
11-11-2012, 05:02 PM
StungbySting

JP Anderson is the only reason the Sting won today. He stood on his head during a horrible 2nd period and made the saves he had to in the 3rd. JB must have kicked over a few garbage cans during the second intermission because the boys showed up for the 3rd. Good to see Josh Chapman get his first OHL goal.

Now the team is one third through the season there are going to be some huge decisions as to what direction the team is going in. Do they become buyers or sellers at the trade deadline? Anyone heard anything about David Nemecek? Seems like he's been a healthy scratch for almost half of the games I've been to this year. Kind of seems like a waste of an Euro spot to me.

I think the Sting are in a spot to be buyers at the deadline. They have the goaltending (if healthy) that can steal them games. The defence could use someone with a bit of a nasty streak that isn't afraid to clear the front of the net. I'd like to see a second line center added that can score too. I wonder if the team would dangle DeAngelo and see what they could get for him? Josh Leivo and Justin Sefton would look good in a Sting jersey.

Last edited by StungbySting: 11-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 05:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
JP Anderson is the only reason the Sting won today. He stood on his head during a horrible 2nd period and made the saves he had to in the 3rd. JB must have kicked over a few garbage cans during the second intermission because the boys showed up for the 3rd. Good to see Josh Chapman get his first OHL goal.

Now the team is one third through the season there are going to be some huge decisions as to what direction the team is going in. Do they become buyers or sellers at the trade deadline? Anyone heard anything about David Nemecek? Seems like he's been a healthy scratch for almost half of the games I've been to this year. Kind of seems like a waste of an OA spot to me.

I think the Sting are in a spot to be buyers at the deadline. They have the goaltending (if healthy) that can steal them games. The defence could use someone with a bit of a nasty streak that isn't afraid to clear the front of the net. I'd like to see a second line center added that can score too. I wonder if the team would dangle DeAngelo and see what they could get for him? Josh Leivo and Justin Sefton would look good in a Sting jersey.
Re Nemecek I think u meant waste of a Euro spot

Old
11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
StungbySting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Re Nemecek I think u meant waste of a Euro spot
My bad...thanks for pointing that out

Old
11-11-2012, 08:08 PM
hardoil3232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Fire View Post
Make sure you stop by Section 106 and say hello
Always enjoy talking to Knights fans
sting team look very good can you imagine what the sting would be if brett riche still played for the sting

Old
11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
StungbySting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoil3232 View Post
sting team look very good can you imagine what the sting would be if brett riche still played for the sting
Ritchie was a band aid when he played in Sarnia. He averaged around 35 games his last 2 seasons. Only showed up when he wanted to. Good to see a change of scenery has sparked his interest again. I think JP Anderson is more valueable to the Sting right now than what Ritchie would be (the 3 picks the Sting got for Ritchie were flipped for JP Anderson).

Old
11-11-2012, 11:03 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ritchie was a band aid when he played in Sarnia. He averaged around 35 games his last 2 seasons. Only showed up when he wanted to. Good to see a change of scenery has sparked his interest again. I think JP Anderson is more valueable to the Sting right now than what Ritchie would be (the 3 picks the Sting got for Ritchie were flipped for JP Anderson).
Doesn't hurt that he's teamed up with Ryan Strome, the leagues leading scorer, either. Trading Fitchie was a great move IMO

Old
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Doesn't hurt that he's teamed up with Ryan Strome, the leagues leading scorer, either. Trading Fitchie was a great move IMO
Have to agree dean,I have watched quite a few of their games on OHL website and Strome makes Ritchie look better than he is. IMO he didnt do much with Sarnia as he was very hit and miss.Not sure how any of us can complain about the Sting as they have well exceeded what we had expected.Good Luck Sting

Old
11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Have to agree dean,I have watched quite a few of their games on OHL website and Strome makes Ritchie look better than he is. IMO he didnt do much with Sarnia as he was very hit and miss.Not sure how any of us can complain about the Sting as they have well exceeded what we had expected.Good Luck Sting
Generally, most players will be better with better linemates.....point?

Old
11-12-2012, 09:49 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Wow, Fast game at the RBC tonite with OHL vs Russia.Some good hits with no penalities,wish they would allow them during a reg game.Basso did alright,his best game all year

Nail Yakopuv was classy as usual.Skated around clapping for about 500 sting fans thanking us sting fans for his past.We spent a fair bit of time last year with the Yakopuv's and the family did appreciate Sarnia and their fans even though they didnt agree with Jocko.Had a 10 min visit with him sunday at the Wolves game.he was asking about the sting and how the team was doing.Told me he hoped they did well this year.Good luck Nail

Old
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Sting Fan 101

Last nights game was great. Really enjoyed it. Glad to see the OHL Stars won. Who needs the NHL. The OHL Hockey is great.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:12 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Craig Hottot is schedule to return from suspension on Friday. Interesting to see that thete has went 7-2 in his absence. Hotter does a lot of good things for the team but does suffer from being too lacksidaisle at times so I'm hoping he returns with more drive in his game to help this team continue winning

The Sting currently sit atop the West Division

If you guys want to read my piece on Yakupov and game day notes of last night's Super Series game in Sarnia feel free to visit The Hockey Guys website (HF won't let me post the link)

Old
11-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Generally, most players will be better with better linemates.....point?
Good piece on Brett Ritchie and his maturation as a player....

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/13...s-conversation

Old
11-16-2012, 06:47 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Here's a little Sting PR story for ya..thought I'd share my experience at the SubWay Super Series game...emphasis on SubWay.

I attended Monday's game and sat in section 101. Before the game started I was approached by a Sting PR guy and told our section had been selected for the SubWay section of the game..probably because it's the smallest section in the RBC.

Anyways..I was told how the contest worked and told the answer(they always do this) and also told I would win a 50 dollar SubWay gift card for myself and everyone in my section..afterall...it's a SubWay sponsored event..whats a kick out of 50 bucks for approx. 30 people..I think they can afford 1500 bucks. So we all get the cards..everyone is happier than a pig in you know what...until my Dad goes to use his card last night. Why you say?...the card has 6 bucks on it. 6 BUCKS.

Don't mislead people into thinking they're receiving something they're not...oh wait a minute...just remembered who I was talking about.

P.S. it wasn't a lost trip...always good chatting with Sting Fire...take care bud. A 6 buck gift card(that I was told was 50) won't sour me away from attending more games at the RBC...still top 3 for me.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 11-16-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old
11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Here's a little Sting PR story for ya..thought I'd share my experience at the SubWay Super Series game...emphasis on SubWay.

I attended Monday's game and sat in section 101. Before the game started I was approached by a Sting PR guy and told our section had been selected for the SubWay section of the game..probably because it's the smallest section in the RBC.

Anyways..I was told how the contest worked and told the answer(they always do this) and also told I would win a 50 dollar SubWay gift card for myself and everyone in my section..afterall...it's a SubWay sponsored event..whats a kick out of 50 bucks for approx. 30 people..I think they can afford 1500 bucks. So we all get the cards..everyone is happier than a pig in you know what...until my Dad goes to use his card last night. Why you say?...the card has 6 bucks on it. 6 BUCKS.

Don't mislead people into thinking their receiving something they're not...oh wait a minute...just remembered who I was talking about.

P.S. it wasn't a lost trip...always good chatting with Sting Fire...take care bud. A 6 buck gift card(that I was told was 50) won't sour me away from attending more games at the RBC...still top 3 for me.
I am not sure you can blame the Sting PR department on this one as SUBWAY was the sponsor and responsible for their own merchandise. Either way, its a shame.

Thanks for sharing.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:33 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Congratulations to Sting rookie Brett Hargrave on being named to Ontario's Under-17 squad for the upcoming tourney. Last year, Ryan Kujawinski used this tournament to gain confidence so hopefully Hargrave can do the same.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/artic...allenge/131711

On a side note, Craig Hottot returns to the lineup vs Sudbury tonight. The team has been very good without him so hopefully he comes in with a rejuvenated attitude.

I listened to the game on the radio last night and it sounded as though the Sting had quite an up-and-down game. Also, it appears that Alex Basso needs to get his emotions in check and quit taking costly undisciplined penalties. The Sting have a real knack for making games tougher than they need to be with undisciplined penalties and ill-advised risky plays.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:41 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
I am not sure you can blame the Sting PR department on this one as SUBWAY was the sponsor and responsible for their own merchandise. Either way, its a shame.

Thanks for sharing.
That's true...I really wasn't pointing blame at the PR department...just looked like I did so...definitely a mix up in communication. I think they meant to tell me 50 dollars in subway gift cards...not 50 dollar gift cards. If I knew there was only 6 bucks on each card...i woulda kept the whole stack.

Old
11-16-2012, 07:53 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
That's true...I really wasn't pointing blame at the PR department...just looked like I did so...definitely a mix up in communication. I think they meant to tell me 50 dollars in subway gift cards...not 50 dollar gift cards. If I knew there was only 6 bucks on each card...i woulda kept the whole stack.
No worries. $6 can barely you buy anything anywhere. Seems like a very random number.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
No worries. $6 can barely you buy anything anywhere. Seems like a very random number.
It get's you a classic sub with 7 cents change.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:28 PM
lostinspace

Hottot needs to be moved to the trade blog. Not much value with the current club!

Old
11-19-2012, 07:22 AM
honey bee

Guess we are all in shock after that 9-2 loss last night. Is the team that dependant on Galchenyuk? It was not a good road trip at all. Just when the team shows moments of brilliance, down we go again. Thoughts,anyone?

Closed Thread