Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 11:12 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
To be fair, some of those numbers are on the low side too. I think it's important to remember that some players have the advantage of playing on talented teams in the CHL(and in the CHL you have three different leagues - and the numbers from league to league are not going to be the same) or the NCAA, while others have to carry a much heavier load. On top of that, players develop at their own rate, so sometimes you're just looking at players who really started to peak a bit earlier than others, as well as others who took a bit more time.

Just a little more context.
Three notable low ones are Kesler, Staal, and Bergeron. They were only 17 those seasons, so the relatively low numbers are still pretty impressive.

McClement and Backes are the two real low scorers that did not score a lot as older players in their junior leagues.

You can make all the caveats you want, and it could explain any one or two prospects. Just like how you might use those caveats for our guys. I still think it's pretty striking how prolifically most of them scored.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Three notable low ones are Kesler, Staal, and Bergeron. They were only 17 those seasons, so the relatively low numbers are still pretty impressive.

McClement and Backes are the two real low scorers that did not score a lot as older players in their junior leagues.

You can make all the caveats you want, and it could explain any one or two prospects. Just like how you might use those caveats for our guys. I still think it's pretty striking how prolifically most of them scored.
NHL players need to be talented. There's no denying that. I just think the expectations are getting a little high here, and it seems a bit early to start expressing disappointment towards a player none of us have really been able to see. I mean, that's a list that consists of some Selke finalists(and winners). Those are pretty special players in their own right, and winning the Selke typically takes a combination of impressive offense, and great defense. That doesn't sound particularly realistic for Rakell.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Manny Malholtra would be a potential role model

Old
11-06-2012, 12:53 AM
Exit Dose

Guys, we're 16 games into the OHL season and he's only three points shy of PPG. It's a bit early to write the obituary for Rakell's offense.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:24 AM
SupermanPahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Guys, we're 16 games into the OHL season and he's only three points shy of PPG. It's a bit early to write the obituary for Rakell's offense.
This. Plymouth's expectations going into the season were that of a perennial Memorial Cup-calibre team that just hasn't gelled for some reason. They have a top-notch first line, and a nice back-end, but a few more question marks than sure-things around their lineup. Like Exit said earlier, Rakell playing 'poorly' has more to do with the entire team than it does with him. He's still pulling substantial weight in all situations with the Whalers, and putting up very decent numbers.

Hm, sounds eerily similar to last season's situation for a certain SoCal NHL team.

Old
11-06-2012, 03:34 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I saw Rakell dominate at the WJC's against top competition, sorry i'm not worried that team is awful

Old
11-06-2012, 04:59 AM
Paul4587

What are the chances he gets traded?

Old
11-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Yup. Thankfully Vellucci has kept Rakell on the 1st line, most recently with Mistele and Meurs. Noesen hasn't been as lucky being bumped to the 2nd line.
They post starting lineups in twitter So far Rakell have been once on the 2nd and once on the 1st. Noesen both times on 2nd once in right and once in left wing.

PS
Whalers host Saginaw tonight

Old
11-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Rakell has a puck-finds-him factor on the ice that some of our more prolific prospects notably lack. It's the kind of thing that in my experience bodes well for him at the next level.

One time, Rickard promised to pay me back the $5 he owed me, but he never did. It was a Rakell welch.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:03 PM
SupermanPahlsson

"Rakell - as the game's first star and with Anaheim scouts watching - scored a goal with two assists..."

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...n-over-saginaw

Plymouth wins 4-1 today.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Rakell has a puck-finds-him factor on the ice that some of our more prolific prospects notably lack. It's the kind of thing that in my experience bodes well for him at the next level.

One time, Rickard promised to pay me back the $5 he owed me, but he never did. It was a Rakell welch.
Friberg seems to have this innate ability in spades as well. at least, in my very limited viewings of him. Just always seems to be in the right spot at the right time.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
"Rakell - as the game's first star and with Anaheim scouts watching - scored a goal with two assists..."

http://www.plymouthwhalers.com/artic...n-over-saginaw

Plymouth wins 4-1 today.
Our scouts have been watching him closer than Gibson from what I've seen. Our scouts have been rolling deep at most of Plymouth's games.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:21 PM
SupermanPahlsson

Quote:
Our scouts have been watching him closer than Gibson from what I've seen. Our scouts have been rolling deep at most of Plymouth's games.
Lol. Does nothing get past you? I admire your wealth of knowledge.

In other news, Franky Palezzese gets the start for Kitchener against Mississauga tonight. Gibson will be sitting.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Lol. Does nothing get past you?
It's the lockout, I swear.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Reading that article, seems like i wasn`t the only one who thought Rakell had problems. He sit out last games (5-7 loss) most of the 3d period.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

So no Ducks participating in CHL - Russia chalange. I think Gibson was really close, but coaches chose Subban and Binnington instead.

Room to grow for Gibson

Old
11-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
So no Ducks participating in CHL - Russia chalange. I think Gibson was really close, but coaches chose Subban and Binnington instead.

Room to grow for Gibson
I think it's open only to Canadians.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Exit Dose

Grigorenko was non-existent in tonight's Subway Series game. I thought he was sitting the game out.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Grigorenko was non-existent in tonight's Subway Series game. I thought he was sitting the game out.
Seems consistent with what people have been saying about him; that he can be the best player on the ice, or invisible.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I think it's open only to Canadians.
I think it might even go beyond that, and require the players to fall within the geographic area of the league.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I think it might even go beyond that, and require the players to fall within the geographic area of the league.
I think you're right.

I wish they'd put together an American team for a 7th game. Looks like I'll have to wait till December to see Galchenyuk, Jones, and Gibson on the same team.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I think you're right.

I wish they'd put together an American team for a 7th game. Looks like I'll have to wait till December to see Galchenyuk, Jones, and Gibson on the same team.
I'm really looking forward to that tourney. Partly because the 2013 draft looks pretty sexy, and partly because Anaheim is sending a couple of good players. It's hard to picture Gibson and Lindholm not being big factors in the success, or failure, of their respective teams.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Tim Heed has been loaned to Vasteras in Allsvenskan, where William Karlsson played last year. Among his new teammates are Patrik Berglund, Mikael Backlund and Brendan Mikkelson, as well as former Ducks prospect Stefan Warg. Interesting that Warg (a stay at home defenseman) already has 7 points in 19 games. Last season he had 5 points in 51 games, and two years ago 7 points in 50 games.

Old
11-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Exit Dose

Rakell picks up an assist.

Gibson is 8 minutes away from a shutout. Doesn't look like he was challenged much, though.

O'Brien with 5 hits.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Exit Dose

From Bob Mackenzie

Attending Kitch at Osh (OHL) tonite. Can tell CBJ fans Boone Jenner is playing dominant hockey. ANA fans, John Gibson is top-notch goalie

Gibson allowed 2 goals on 58 shots this weekend. He had two wins.

Closed Thread