HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN: Brampton Battalion relocation proves Toronto isn't a hockey town

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 12:46 AM
  #301
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Lol you're GM blew two 1st round picks on "some teens" that are playing down the street from you. HOCKEY fans would probably care about that and want to go check it out. A fan of a team, not so much.

The Habs have 2 draft picks in the OHL. One just happens to be the 3rd overall pick from last year's draft AND, coincidentally, he played in Brampton 2 weekends ago. But hey, why bother with the inconvenience of taking a 45 min drive and dropping a whopping $15 to watch him play.


And what are you saving your money for these past few months exactly??
The arrogance of this post makes it very obvious that the poster is not from, nor has he ever travelled extensively in the GTA.

1. There are 4 OHL teams in the GTA, two in the west (Mississauga, Brampton), one in the north (Barrie) and one in the east (Oshawa). Torontonians are not the primary target market for these teams, but are instead a secondary or tertiary target market. These teams are generally supported by there own cities/regions as Torontonians don't often travel to the suburbs/neighbouring cities.

2. Clearly you've never had to drive in the west-end of Toronto. Nobody in the right mind from outside of that area is going to drive in the backed up traffic for 45 minutes+ to watch junior hockey when there are two professional teams and a number of junior A teams located within the city.

3. Many Torontonians (especially those who live downtown) don't drive or own cars. They take public transit or ride bicycles to get to where they need to be and don't often need to leave the city.

4. OHL games are broadcasted on the local Rogers channel (show your local/closest team) and many Toronto hockey fans will watch this at home, at the bar or online.

5. Why on earth would Torontonians spend all of that time in traffic to specifically watch a Habs prospect? Mississauga and Oshawa (both have Toronto prospects) get very good attendance and a lot of people watch their games on TV.

6. There are a ton of other things that Torontonians have to do, sports-wise and just in general that are more convenient and entertaining than travelling to Brampton or Oshawa to watch junior hockey. NHL, AHL, NBA, CFL, MLS, NLL, etc. are all more attractive and convenient options than travelling so far out of the city.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:49 AM
  #302
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Over 18,000 in attendance today to see an exhibition game between two teams of retired players.



Clearly, Toronto is not a hockey town. Rather, it is the hockey mecca.
You can't be serious.

==

Personally, I've never taken it as an insult that Vancouverites (me) aren't known for their need to go watch other people play a sport.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:04 AM
  #303
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Disgusting when people attack us with no basis to back it up, insinuate were ignorant and inadequate fans yet he cant even spell the name of the team hes trying to praise A city with multiple professional teams that have been piss poor since the early 90s yet either leading the league in attendance and revenue (like the Leafs), or atleast average. Any other city would have their professional teams relocated or collapse if they endured anything like Toronto fans for the last 2 decades, yet we still get accused of being "bad fans" Ridiculous
I agree Toronto is average. Obviously Toronto can fill the seats, which is more then we can say for Miami or Atlanta. But Toronto just does not have that major passion that NYC has imo. Or Boston. Multiple sports being a big deal. In Toronto it seems to be just NHL hockey at 1. That's fine. People have an agenda and like I said Toronto hate for no reason. It's like people are hoping for bill 101 to go away so Montreal can come back.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:26 AM
  #304
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
What an ignorant *******, spewing ******** about how much you love hockey yet you dont even know the name of your "God sent" top prospects team

BTW, before you start yelling at me, ive been to plenty Mississauga games and Battalion games. If im making the drive out i choose the Hershey center 8/10 times.

LOL, hook line and sinker


Perhaps I should have left some bread crumbs in the form of quotations for you so that you might have been able to "understand" point


Last edited by OSA: 11-12-2012 at 02:34 AM.
OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:37 AM
  #305
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I agree Toronto is average. Obviously Toronto can fill the seats, which is more then we can say for Miami or Atlanta. But Toronto just does not have that major passion that NYC has imo. Or Boston. Multiple sports being a big deal. In Toronto it seems to be just NHL hockey at 1. That's fine. People have an agenda and like I said Toronto hate for no reason. It's like people are hoping for bill 101 to go away so Montreal can come back.
Sure Hockey is and always will be #1, but I feel I should let you know some things about the Toronto Blue Jays.

1977 took only 50 games to set an expansion team attendance record.
1991 Became first MLB teams to have over 4 million in attendance.
A feat they repeated in 1992 and 1993.
The 4,057,947 attendance of 1993, was an AL until 2005. (NYY)

Other teams:

The ACC has been full for Raptors through all the years of garbage.

TFC has also enjoyed a decent following that if they were any good at all would have mushroomed greatly.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:44 AM
  #306
Lilou
t-.-t
 
Lilou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scarborough, ON
Posts: 5,141
vCash: 500
The montreal rockets relocated due to low fan support in 2003. Is mtl a poor hockeytown? Sorry hab fans, according to HF/hockeynews you aren't worthy of this sport.

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:53 AM
  #307
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
You can't be serious.

==

Personally, I've never taken it as an insult that Vancouverites (me) aren't known for their need to go watch other people play a sport.
what the hell are you talking about?!?!?!?

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 AM
  #308
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
The arrogance of this post makes it very obvious that the poster is not from, nor has he ever travelled extensively in the GTA.

1. There are 4 OHL teams in the GTA, two in the west (Mississauga, Brampton), one in the north (Barrie) and one in the east (Oshawa). Torontonians are not the primary target market for these teams, but are instead a secondary or tertiary target market. These teams are generally supported by there own cities/regions as Torontonians don't often travel to the suburbs/neighbouring cities.

2. Clearly you've never had to drive in the west-end of Toronto. Nobody in the right mind from outside of that area is going to drive in the backed up traffic for 45 minutes+ to watch junior hockey when there are two professional teams and a number of junior A teams located within the city.

3. Many Torontonians (especially those who live downtown) don't drive or own cars. They take public transit or ride bicycles to get to where they need to be and don't often need to leave the city.

4. OHL games are broadcasted on the local Rogers channel (show your local/closest team) and many Toronto hockey fans will watch this at home, at the bar or online.

5. Why on earth would Torontonians spend all of that time in traffic to specifically watch a Habs prospect? Mississauga and Oshawa (both have Toronto prospects) get very good attendance and a lot of people watch their games on TV.

6. There are a ton of other things that Torontonians have to do, sports-wise and just in general that are more convenient and entertaining than travelling to Brampton or Oshawa to watch junior hockey. NHL, AHL, NBA, CFL, MLS, NLL, etc. are all more attractive and convenient options than travelling so far out of the city.

I live in Burlington and I know all about the traffic....


1. There are 3 teams in the GTA and, you are right, the target market is the "hockey fan" that supposedly lives in the area where the team exists. The issue remains that the GTA is full of Leaf fans, not so much hockey fans. This is clearly illustrated by the fact that Leaf fans can not be enticed to attend a junior hockey game even if some of their best prospects are playing. If you really loved hockey, a little extra time in the car would be a small price to pay.

2. I drive regularly on the west side of the city and I "brave" the traffic to attend hockey games because I like hockey

3. Again, the focus is on the GTA as a market and there are plenty of individuals who have cars and don't necessarily live in a condo in downtown Toronto

4. The games are broadcast in every other Ontario-based OHL market as well, yet London still draws 9,000 fans per game, Kitchener 7,000, Ottawa 6,000.....

5. Watching Galchenyuk play was in reference to another poster who I'm told has a friend that is a big Habs fan, yet, this friend more than likely did not bother to go watch the teams' best prospect play the Battalion on a Sunday afternoon a mere 2 weeks ago.

Oshawa draws fine, but Mississauga most certainly does not....they draw terribly. Furthermore, both teams have Leaf 1st round draft picks on their rosters so you would think that there would be a nice spike in attendance due to Leafs' fans' interest in the teams' prospects.....but you don't.

Ok, so take the games off television and the rinks will be packed with all of the people that would have otherwise stayed home....is that how it works??

6. That's fine, and I'm sure most Leaf fans do indulge in the variety that Toronto has to offer. However, I would argue that HOCKEY FANS would choose the hockey, especially when there is the opportunity to watch Steven Stamkos or Drew Doughty or Jeff Skinner or Patrick Kane.....


Last edited by OSA: 11-12-2012 at 02:25 AM.
OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:23 AM
  #309
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
The montreal rockets relocated due to low fan support in 2003. Is mtl a poor hockeytown? Sorry hab fans, according to HF/hockeynews you aren't worthy of this sport.
Actually, there is a QMJHL team in the Montreal area called the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and the team is doing just fine. They are roughly the same distance from Centre Bell as the Mississauga Steelheads are from the ACC.


Last edited by OSA: 11-12-2012 at 02:30 AM.
OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:42 AM
  #310
Leafs03
Registered User
 
Leafs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto On
Country: Albania
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
*face palm*

I think you need to Google who was taken 3rd overall this past draft by the MONTREAL CANADIENS



Don't worry, when he's playing in Montreal next year and becoming a Superstar you can lie that you knew all about him for years, that he was easily the best pick in the draft and that the Sarnia Stingers really know to develop top drawer talent. Most Leaf fans in Toronto won't know the difference anyway.
What a fail post LOL..

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:06 AM
  #311
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
What a fail post LOL..



In case you have the memory of a goldfish, this was all in response to a poster who thought I was talking about Tyler Seguin.......Tyler.....Seguin. Ergo, my response on how this poster would likely talk about Alex Galchenyuk once he became a household name.

If you can't detect that the misspelled word has been used purposefully, for effect, then unfortunately that's your issue.


I've attended games in all 20 OHL markets, most on multiple occasions, and several in Quebec and Nova Scotia. I'll just leave it at that.


Last edited by OSA: 11-12-2012 at 03:32 AM.
OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:13 AM
  #312
ecotone
Registered User
 
ecotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Toronto is a leaf town, not a hockey town IMHO. To many professional hockey teams have failed or struggle in Toronto/GTA.
A Bruins fan in Toronto trying to claim TO is only a leafs town, that's rich

I'm surprised this thread got 13 pages of replies, it's obvious the OP is just trying to rile up leaf fans in the area.

ecotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:28 AM
  #313
htpwn
Registered User
 
htpwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Poland
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Actually, there is a QMJHL team in the Montreal area called the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and the team is doing just fine. They are roughly the same distance from Centre Bell as the Mississauga Steelheads are from the ACC.
Did the Oshawa Generals relocate when I wasn't paying attention?

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:43 AM
  #314
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
4. The games are broadcast in every other Ontario-based OHL market as well, yet London still draws 9,000 fans per game, Kitchener 7,000, Ottawa 6,000.....
London and Kitchener don't have any NHL teams to compete with the OHL, so that's why they always draw very well.

As for Ottawa my guess is since the 67's were around before the current version of the Senators they still have a loyal following of fans from a long time ago.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:09 AM
  #315
OSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
London and Kitchener don't have any NHL teams to compete with the OHL, so that's why they always draw very well.

As for Ottawa my guess is since the 67's were around before the current version of the Senators they still have a loyal following of fans from a long time ago.

Vancouver averages 6,300
(Giants founded in 2001)

Calgary averages 7,700
(Hitmen founded in 1995)

Edmonton averages 6,000
(Oil Kings founded in 2006)


Last edited by OSA: 11-12-2012 at 04:17 AM.
OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:45 AM
  #316
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Over 18,000 in attendance today to see an exhibition game between two teams of retired players.



Clearly, Toronto is not a hockey town. Rather, it is the hockey mecca.
Always great to see Sundin.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:04 AM
  #317
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I agree Toronto is average. Obviously Toronto can fill the seats, which is more then we can say for Miami or Atlanta. But Toronto just does not have that major passion that NYC has imo. Or Boston. Multiple sports being a big deal. In Toronto it seems to be just NHL hockey at 1. That's fine. People have an agenda and like I said Toronto hate for no reason. It's like people are hoping for bill 101 to go away so Montreal can come back.
You cant be comparing Toronto to NYC considering the difference in population. Not to mention, your comparing a city following and embracing non-tradional sports vs a city following traditional sports. In Toronto, or Canadian markets in general for that matter, Hockey is the biggest sport, it is and always will be the most followed which is why hockey in Toronto is #1. Second in Canada is football, however our NFL tease once a year is taking away interest in the CFL, put an NFL team in the city and id expect a sell out every week. The fact that Baseball and Basketball teams even survived in a Canadian market should be a success in itself. Compared to more largely populated cities in which culture largely popularizes the major sports then yes we are ok but not great, however in comparison to the cities most closely related like Vancouver and Montreal (who in their defense also have 1/3 of the population), then there really is no comparison. Not to mention, with an exception to New York and considering the Bills association, Toronto has more professional teams than any other city (tied with LA and Chicago) in North America, splitting fans between 6 leagues (not considering less popular AHL, NLL, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
I live in Burlington and I know all about the traffic....


1. There are 3 teams in the GTA and, you are right, the target market is the "hockey fan" that supposedly lives in the area where the team exists. The issue remains that the GTA is full of Leaf fans, not so much hockey fans. This is clearly illustrated by the fact that Leaf fans can not be enticed to attend a junior hockey game even if some of their best prospects are playing. If you really loved hockey, a little extra time in the car would be a small price to pay.

2. I drive regularly on the west side of the city and I "brave" the traffic to attend hockey games because I like hockey

3. Again, the focus is on the GTA as a market and there are plenty of individuals who have cars and don't necessarily live in a condo in downtown Toronto

4. The games are broadcast in every other Ontario-based OHL market as well, yet London still draws 9,000 fans per game, Kitchener 7,000, Ottawa 6,000.....

5. Watching Galchenyuk play was in reference to another poster who I'm told has a friend that is a big Habs fan, yet, this friend more than likely did not bother to go watch the teams' best prospect play the Battalion on a Sunday afternoon a mere 2 weeks ago.

Oshawa draws fine, but Mississauga most certainly does not....they draw terribly. Furthermore, both teams have Leaf 1st round draft picks on their rosters so you would think that there would be a nice spike in attendance due to Leafs' fans' interest in the teams' prospects.....but you don't.

Ok, so take the games off television and the rinks will be packed with all of the people that would have otherwise stayed home....is that how it works??

6. That's fine, and I'm sure most Leaf fans do indulge in the variety that Toronto has to offer. However, I would argue that HOCKEY FANS would choose the hockey, especially when there is the opportunity to watch Steven Stamkos or Drew Doughty or Jeff Skinner or Patrick Kane.....

The largest question yet to be answered, with the Powerade and Hershey centre 6.4 km from one another, do you not feel that the fan base of the area was split between Mississauga and Brampton? Now with one folded i atleast expect the majority of Battalion fans to start attending steelhead games and with that see an attendance pushing 4000 (roughly combine both target demographics).


Last edited by The Podium: 11-12-2012 at 11:10 AM.
The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
  #318
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Sure Hockey is and always will be #1, but I feel I should let you know some things about the Toronto Blue Jays.

1977 took only 50 games to set an expansion team attendance record.
1991 Became first MLB teams to have over 4 million in attendance.
A feat they repeated in 1992 and 1993.
The 4,057,947 attendance of 1993, was an AL until 2005. (NYY)

Other teams:

The ACC has been full for Raptors through all the years of garbage.

TFC has also enjoyed a decent following that if they were any good at all would have mushroomed greatly.
Fair enough. I don't think hockey will always be number 1. Demographics. The Leafs better start something soon. Remeber the Mets were the talk of NY not even 25 years ago.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
  #319
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
You cant be comparing Toronto to NYC considering the difference in population. Not to mention, your comparing a city following and embracing non-tradional sports vs a city following traditional sports. In Toronto, or Canadian markets in general for that matter, Hockey is the biggest sport, it is and always will be the most followed which is why hockey in Toronto is #1. Second in Canada is football, however our NFL tease once a year is taking away interest in the CFL, put an NFL team in the city and id expect a sell out every week. The fact that Baseball and Basketball teams even survived in a Canadian market should be a success in itself. Compared to more largely populated cities in which culture largely popularizes the major sports then yes we are ok but not great, however in comparison to the cities most closely related like Vancouver and Montreal (who in their defense also have 1/3 of the population), then there really is no comparison. Not to mention, with an exception to New York and considering the Bills association, Toronto has more professional teams than any other city (tied with LA and Chicago) in North America, splitting fans between 6 leagues (not considering less popular AHL, NLL, etc.)



I'm comparing Toronto to its immediate contemporaries. Boston, Philly, Chicago, SF, DC. Vancouver and Montreal are not even in the discussion. But I mostly agree with you. Toronto can do better though.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:40 PM
  #320
Lilou
t-.-t
 
Lilou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Scarborough, ON
Posts: 5,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Actually, there is a QMJHL team in the Montreal area called the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and the team is doing just fine. They are roughly the same distance from Centre Bell as the Mississauga Steelheads are from the ACC.
Like the fella above said, the Oshawa Generals have a respectable attendance and are in the GTA. Anyway my point was I did not see the media chastise hab fans for not supporting the rockets. The club went away silently. I don't think any less of hab fans for not wanting to see a minor league team at the time, nor would I call them casual hockey fans, but why are we in TO talked down too?

Lilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
  #321
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Like the fella above said, the Oshawa Generals have a respectable attendance and are in the GTA. Anyway my point was I did not see the media chastise hab fans for not supporting the rockets. The club went away silently. I don't think any less of hab fans for not wanting to see a minor league team at the time, nor would I call them casual hockey fans, but why are we in TO talked down too?
It's because the popular thing is for everyone to bash Toronto. As a Maple Leafs fan I have come to accept that part of the reason everyone hates us and our city is because they are jealious at the attention we always get. Now because there is nothing to bash the Maple Leafs about this person from The Hockey News took it to a new level saying Toronto is not a Hockey city because the Brampton Battalion are moving to North Bay. In my opinion it's a desperation story to make Toronto look bad.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
  #322
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I agree Toronto is average. Obviously Toronto can fill the seats, which is more then we can say for Miami or Atlanta. But Toronto just does not have that major passion that NYC has imo. Or Boston. Multiple sports being a big deal. In Toronto it seems to be just NHL hockey at 1. That's fine. People have an agenda and like I said Toronto hate for no reason. It's like people are hoping for bill 101 to go away so Montreal can come back.
I think Raptors fans are incredibly loud and passionate.(The 01' Philly/Raptors series was insane in the ACC) Blue Jays fans have been, but you can't tell unless they fill most of the Rogers Centre.

Leafs fans in the ACC aren't. But the loud fans rarely ever go inside the ACC.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
  #323
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Fair enough. I don't think hockey will always be number 1. Demographics. The Leafs better start something soon. Remeber the Mets were the talk of NY not even 25 years ago.
Yes, but consider you had Brooklyn Dodger and New York Giants fans remaining from losing those teams that started cheering for the Mets. Those fans never started cheering for the Yankees. Keeping in mind the Mets were good during this period and the Yankees were not and now it's largely reversed. I don't think it has as much to do with demographics as you're implying.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
  #324
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
The largest question yet to be answered, with the Powerade and Hershey centre 6.4 km from one another, do you not feel that the fan base of the area was split between Mississauga and Brampton? Now with one folded i atleast expect the majority of Battalion fans to start attending steelhead games and with that see an attendance pushing 4000 (roughly combine both target demographics).
Based on the diehard Brampton fans I know, there is no chance in hell they'll become Mississauga fans. They've been huge rivals with both the Ice Dogs and Majors/Steelheads over the years. Mississauga may pick up the casual fan, but that's about it.

It was incredibly stupid and shortsighted for the league to introduce two franchises so close together, and at the same time. It was only a matter of time before one or both were moved to a more viable market. I suspect we'll see the Steelheads moved in the next couple of years, unless things really change in Mississauga in a hurry.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
  #325
Inconceivable
Registered User
 
Inconceivable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 466
vCash: 500
Why are there people on here talking like Torontonians should be ashamed for not going to junior games? Am I supposed to feel sorry for not giving a **** about the ohl? I go to leafs and marlies games when I get the chance. During the season I spend every Saturday night watching both games of the double header on CBC. If there's no leaf game on a weekday I'm usually content watching whatever game tsn has on. I do this because I know that I am watching the highest level of hockey in the world and that entertains me. Junior does not cut it for me, went to a colts game once and have no intention of going to another. So Toronto is not a hockey town because of people like me who don't care to drive out to Brampton to watch one or two good players skate around puny high school kids? **** off. I've probably watched more capitals/devils games than most of their own fans.

Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.