HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bars for in your 30's

Old
11-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Millypoo, Common is great but I'm assuming the OP isn't quite part of that type of crowd or looking for that experience... Common is upscale... but rather a hipsterrific mix of groups and ages (25-40, say) focusing more on quality and style of music than anything else.

To me it sounds like OP is looking for something more like Hudsons or Cook County perhaps? There's also Public House downtown as well as Social House by Grant Mac, which is only good in Fridays. If you want to take a big party/group of people there and basically have the entire bar to yourself Saturday is good too, its dead there on Saturday and the joint is rather small. There's also Shore Club on Whyte. Overtime by Whitemud Crossing, gets a lot of different, older types of people any given night...

Last edited by Philly85: 11-11-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Perfect_Drug

In Montreal, most of the single/employed 30 year old guys I know are taken home by overly aggressive 20 year old girls.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
In Montreal, most of the single/employed 30 year old guys I know are taken home by overly aggressive 20 year old girls.

Cue the expected flood of comments by the 30-something guys on here talking of moving to Montreal.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
I've been to Puerto Vallarta a number of times, and Andale's is one of my favorite bars anywhere.

If you go there in your 30's, you're pretty young there, still a great time. I can remember going there in my early 20's and still liking it even though it was an older crowd.

I'm heading back to PV at some point this winter, and am looking forward to the strange, fun scene that is Andale's!

Try to stay out of trouble.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:55 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Blues on Whyte. Always have a great time and a older crowd for sure.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Unless you want edible food and a timely order that doesn't take an hour. Friend waited an hour for a steak that turned up rare(not medium well done) at the same time as the XLfoods e coli outbreak. Nice.

They didn't acknowledge, care, or even compensate for the complete steak that was left on the plate bleeding.

Mercers it should be noted is brand new and seems not to have their **** figured out. On some days a complete disorganized mess from what I've heard. Service being routinely stated as a concern. Either not being served at all, after a very long wait, or just lousy and rude service period.
Yelp reviews are a disaster.

Its a shame, a nice space, but owned by somebody that has more talent in redesign then in running a bar/restaurant.

I only went once, won't be back.
I dunno about you guys but i wouldn't be ordering food from a place you go to drink/dance. Go to a pub or restaurant if you want food. Go to a club if you want to dance.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Help me out here HFOil, it's a friends birthday and we are planning on going out to a club for some drinking and dancing. Trouble is, we're all married with children now and are pretty out of touch with where is any good to go and where we might find an atmosphere where we'd have a good time. 10 years ago we'd be going to the Thunderdome, The Joint, Rebar or The Rev. Now, I have very little idea. Everyone has a decent job now so if it's a little more upscale, that's all good.
MKT would be a good choice (the old Iron Horse).

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I dunno about you guys but i wouldn't be ordering food from a place you go to drink/dance. Go to a pub or restaurant if you want food. Go to a club if you want to dance.
It wasn't me.

I would never order a steak at a bar. I share your view on that. But it doesn't matter. Service at Mercer is the *****. Expect to get your own beer. The tarty wait staff take one look at you, decide if they want to seat you in a reasonable seat or off to a corner somewhere, and whether or not they intend to even walk up to your table and take an order.

Go there, no joke, the service is astronomically bad. Bunch of nellies that don't give a rats ass about serving any tables but that think they look good in a skirt and are waiting on Mr Right.

I have no idea how these people were hired to actually serve customers. This being the kind of thing you get when you've never managed service staff before. People not even knowing what qualities to look for.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I have no idea how these people were hired to actually serve customers. This being the kind of thing you get when you've never managed service staff before. People not even knowing what qualities to look for.
Oh I'm pretty sure most bars know what qualities to look for in their servers. Unfortunately those qualities seem to be inversely proportional to intelligence.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote