HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2007 NHL Draft: The 16 Defensemen Selected Before PK Subban

Old
11-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
2007 NHL Draft: The 16 Defensemen Selected Before PK Subban

2007 NHL Draft: The 16 Defensemen Selected Before PK Subban:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2007-nhl...ore-pk-subban/

Interesting to see what happened to the d-men drafted before Subban.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:32 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
McDonagh...............

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
McDonagh...............
The way I look at it is, if we still had McD and we never did the trade, we wouldn't have Gally!

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
The way I look at it is, if we still had McD and we never did the trade, we wouldn't have Gally!
The way I see it is if Bob Gainey hadnt of traded for Gomez just so he could sign Cammellari and Gionta we would still have McDonagh and top three pick two years, maybe three years in a row.....

Last edited by charlie: 11-09-2012 at 03:27 PM.
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:46 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Nah, still would've been a lottery team imo, McDonagh isn't there yet.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
theboss*

Quote:
I was thinking about this the other day lol

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
We probably would have drafted around 8-13

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:31 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
The habs had no business at #3 overall in the first place. Adding mcdonagh to last years lineup definitely improves things to the point where we could say goodbye to gally.

But it's not as simple as +Mcdonagh, - Gally.

It's +Mcdonagh-Gally+whoever we get at 7,8,9 etc.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Cunneyworth would have probably used McD as a forward on Plekanec's line anyway.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The habs had no business at #3 overall in the first place. Adding mcdonagh to last years lineup definitely improves things to the point where we could say goodbye to gally.

Considering the team's biggest problem last year earlier on the season was defense, then you probably have a point.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:29 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

We would of had to settle for Grigorenko

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:58 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Is this gonna be a another McDonagh whine-fest?

We got the best defenseman in the 2007 draft, and he's still a Hab. Smile.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:02 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Is this gonna be a another McDonagh whine-fest?

We got the best defenseman in the 2007 draft, and he's still a Hab. Smile.
It's not clear who will be best out of McDonagh, Shatternkirk, and Subban.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I'd take Alzner over Shattenkirk.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:39 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
As of today it is:

1.Subban
1b.McDonagh
3.Shattenkirk

Most "old fashioned" hockey fans will like to put McDonagh ahead of Subban because he's a more traditional defenseman who takes less risks. I also like to think of it as "what have you done for me lately" with McDonagh going to the ECF this year and Subban sitting at home. Subban was the best defenseman on EITHER team in 2011 against the Bruins and he was the Habs top D-man in his first NHL stint in the 2010 playoffs. With the Habs faltering so badly in 2011-12, it also reflects poorly on general opinion of Subban's recent play despite the team's finish having little to nothing to do with his play.

Shattenkirk is a very good offensive defenseman, a head of both the other two at the moment but he's not yet in the same league in terms of defensive play but obviously he has the tools and time to play catch up.

Today Subban is my #1 D in this draft, and according the article posted a few months back I'm not the only person who thinks this.

But what I think is irrelevant. What is completely annoying to myself is having to hear everyone on this forum whine and cry about McDonagh all the time. Get over it already, either get over it or go hang yourself off a ceiling fan and let the rest of us worry about things that actually matter. You can't change the past and *****ing about it all the time doesn't accomplish anything either.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:09 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
2007 NHL Draft: The 16 Defensemen Selected Before PK Subban:
http://thehockeywriters.com/2007-nhl...ore-pk-subban/

Interesting to see what happened to the d-men drafted before Subban.
Good article...I think chance 2012 draft ends up as good as 2007 draft for Habs. Galchenyuk, Hudon and Bozon look real good at this pont. Collberg is a wildcard also.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:31 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
As of today it is:

1.Subban
1b.McDonagh
3.Shattenkirk

Most "old fashioned" hockey fans will like to put McDonagh ahead of Subban because he's a more traditional defenseman who takes less risks. I also like to think of it as "what have you done for me lately" with McDonagh going to the ECF this year and Subban sitting at home. Subban was the best defenseman on EITHER team in 2011 against the Bruins and he was the Habs top D-man in his first NHL stint in the 2010 playoffs. With the Habs faltering so badly in 2011-12, it also reflects poorly on general opinion of Subban's recent play despite the team's finish having little to nothing to do with his play.

Shattenkirk is a very good offensive defenseman, a head of both the other two at the moment but he's not yet in the same league in terms of defensive play but obviously he has the tools and time to play catch up.

Today Subban is my #1 D in this draft, and according the article posted a few months back I'm not the only person who thinks this.

But what I think is irrelevant. What is completely annoying to myself is having to hear everyone on this forum whine and cry about McDonagh all the time. Get over it already, either get over it or go hang yourself off a ceiling fan and let the rest of us worry about things that actually matter. You can't change the past and *****ing about it all the time doesn't accomplish anything either.
first bold: ZZzzzzzzdeno Chara?

second bold: amen brother

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:36 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
As of today it is:

1.Subban
1b.McDonagh
3.Shattenkirk

Fans will move on from McDonagh as they have moved on from Chelios, Beauchemin, Robidas, and Hainsey.

Due to our weak defense (i.e. McDonagh trade), we were the third worst team in the NHL last year, and Gauthier was consequently fired, thus you can argue a price was paid for the bad decision. Now, we have Galchenyuk, and we can move forward.

Losing Gauthier and getting Galchenyuk is the start of the healing process for me.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Good article...I think chance 2012 draft ends up as good as 2007 draft for Habs. Galchenyuk, Hudon and Bozon look real good at this pont. Collberg is a wildcard also.
Galchenyuk, Collberg, Vail, Bozon, Hudon. You can easily say that we will at least get from that, a 1st liner, a 2nd liner and a third liner. If it happen 2012 draft would as good as 2007. And Thrower is a wild card to. Could make his draft the best.

MaxLacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Makander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Galchenyuk, Collberg, Vail, Bozon, Hudon. You can easily say that we will at least get from that, a 1st liner, a 2nd liner and a third liner. If it happen 2012 draft would as good as 2007. And Thrower is a wild card to. Could make his draft the best.
In 2007 we drafted a 1st liner and two top pair defenseman, its hard to beat a draft like that, and 2012 certainly wont top that. To beat 2007 i think we would need Collberg to become a 1st liner, hudon and bozon 2st liner and Thrower a 5-8 defenseman.

Makander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:47 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
As of today it is:

1.Subban
1b.McDonagh
3.Shattenkirk

Most "old fashioned" hockey fans will like to put McDonagh ahead of Subban because he's a more traditional defenseman who takes less risks.
Actually, I think most people should put McDonagh ahead of Subban right now because he's actually coming off a season where he got votes for the Norris and the post season all-star squads, unlike Subban (shut out of both). And that was based on what they did and how they did it, not who is here or who went where.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:02 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makander View Post
In 2007 we drafted a 1st liner and two top pair defenseman, its hard to beat a draft like that, and 2012 certainly wont top that. To beat 2007 i think we would need Collberg to become a 1st liner, hudon and bozon 2st liner and Thrower a 5-8 defenseman.
Galenchyuk be best of both drafts thou. Franchise centre, near impossible to get those, first one we had since Kirk Muller

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Actually, I think most people should put McDonagh ahead of Subban right now because he's actually coming off a season where he got votes for the Norris and the post season all-star squads, unlike Subban (shut out of both). And that was based on what they did and how they did it, not who is here or who went where.
Swap McDonagh and Subban on their respective teams and you end up with a similar result here, guaranteed.

It helps a lot getting votes when you play in the largest market and you just happened to have a dominant regular season. Not saying he was undeserving of the votes, though.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:28 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
As of today it is:

1.Subban
1b.McDonagh
3.Shattenkirk
I agree.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Swap McDonagh and Subban on their respective teams and you end up with a similar result here, guaranteed.

It helps a lot getting votes when you play in the largest market and you just happened to have a dominant regular season. Not saying he was undeserving of the votes, though.
The Rangers had their version of Subban on the left side, in the form of Del Zotto (who out-scored McDonagh by more than a handful of points), and he still didn't get as many votes as McDonagh for either all-star squad or the Norris. I get that you believe it strongly, but you can guarantee nothing, I'm afraid.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote