HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I think it all boils down to what the attitude is moving forward. Without a 1st rounder it really hurts the possibility of a rebuild. Ignoring the hope of a Memorial Cup it's hard to rebuild on the run like they tried to do last year and they are now paying for it. Any moves they make it's imperative to try and get a couple 2nd rounders in 2013, even if you have to deal a 2014 2nd rounder to get one for 2013. There are probably only a handful of players you wouldn't trade. There seems to be a lack of leadership right now, it's the same comments after losses they don't make adjustments and lack urgency at times.
I agree about the lack of a 1st rd pick re rebuild as well as trying to get a 2nd rd pick for 2013 in what is a deep draft,replacing 1 in 2014 if possible
Now if and its a big if the spits were sign Schmaltz and Allen,that changes the complexion of things considerably,a lack of a !st rder is not as bad
I do think that a move or 2 is necessary,its just real hard to do in terms of getting value and needs,plus u have to give up

Old
11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Agree with your list of untouchables except for Bilcke and Johnson
While i dont think he would be moved its unlikely Bilcke would be considered not tradeable by management,as for Johnson,while I like him alot,he has certainly struggled,would be hard to move because of his edc package,he has to continually do the things that got him drafted,not worry about scoring,his confidence is low,needs a breakout effort
I would add Dekort to the list of untouchables,plus Verbeek because he was drafted after the 1st rd,cant be moved until the summer anyways
I think Johnson is a multi-point game away from figuring it out. He did fine last year, so not sure what the issue is now. I'm not dealing him unless I get blown away.

As for Bilcke, I'm forever in the "you need that one guy" camp. The guy who makes everyone on the team feel 10-feet tall. He won't get a ton of time, but you still need his presence out there.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:16 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I think Johnson is a multi-point game away from figuring it out. He did fine last year, so not sure what the issue is now. I'm not dealing him unless I get blown away.

As for Bilcke, I'm forever in the "you need that one guy" camp. The guy who makes everyone on the team feel 10-feet tall. He won't get a ton of time, but you still need his presence out there.
I get what u are saying about Bilcke,I like to have a nuculear deterent as well,only saying not an untouchable,not sure if Bowen could not do the same thing,put him upfront,he is bigger and tougher in my view,and with the ice time Bilcke gets not so sure of the difference
Btw not advocating trading him,just making a pt
As for Johnson I am rooting for this guy prefer to keep him,not deal him

Old
11-10-2012, 04:30 PM
SpItFiReZ

I'd cut some weight and get what you can for Bowen, McNaughton, Studnicka.

Pavelka for a goalie who can platoon with DeKort + pick or two. Dekort needs to play.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
I'd cut some weight and get what you can for Bowen, McNaughton, Studnicka.

Pavelka for a goalie who can platoon with DeKort + pick or two. Dekort needs to play.
Pavelka because he is a Euro would be more difficult to deal,as for the others they are bit players who would not fetch much anyways
I like Studnicka"s work ethic,he is only 17,feel he will continue to improve,no need to trade him
I get what u say about DeKort he does need to develop,not sure what to do yet here

Old
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Hawks3

I like the Spits roster. Thet just don't play deseprate enough. When Ho Sang figures out how to work with Kirby they will be unstoppable. Ho Sang has so many open pass chances instead he tries to dilly bdally and pass to late.
Johnson needs to use his speed, and get open it will come but now is the time. And when he checks someone, he is always falling down becuase he isnt going into the check with confidence, he should work with Seiloff in that department, they are the same build.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:09 PM
youngblood10

The team needs some changes, it's clear they are not on the same page with different levels of interest and commitment.

Having said that, they all have some talent. It's just a matter of getting the right attitudes in the room. Some veteran leadership who can back it up on and off the ice would be great but most important is busting up a click or two, refocusing everyone on team goals.

Who could use a fresh start somewhere else, those closer to the situation then I would know but I wouldn't rule out moving anybody to improve the collective group.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:53 AM
spitz fan 4ever

well here we are 20 games in, and sitting 7th in conference 1 pt ahead of 8th(ssm), and 2 pts ahead of (9th) saginaw,and with erie winning back 2 back games, were only 5 pts ahead of them...hopefully Rychel makes a deal sooner, rather than later, and they can get this ship moving forward a little better

Old
11-11-2012, 08:04 PM
punch1943

My Take on Spitfire Trade Winds

I'm of the opinion that WR can't/won't shake things up drastically at this stage
but it sounds as if you'll probably see at least two new faces come Thursday night.

Although scoring is something we can really use right now I suspect it'll be veteran defensive help that will show up. Posa is the only veteran defensive D-Man on
the team. Sieloff certainly looks like he'll be a good defensive D-man but he's not quite yet. Ebert, Devlin, McNaughton,and Bateman are more offensive minded while Sanvido is a rookie (with potential) learning the ropes.

The forward group certainly has potential but if you aren't scoring you must be contributing defensively. It appears some players are more inclined to press the forward button and ease up on defensive responsibilities.

What I think will happen is a veteran left winger, who will score a few goals but play defensive hockey as well, will be brought in to replace Emmerson Clark. There is no reason to have both Clark and Bilcke taking up roster space. If you have both dressing for games your team is sadly lacking.

Who will get moved is the $64,000,000 question?

If you bring in a defensive D-man Devlin and Bateman are logical candidates to be
traded. Bateman would bring a greater return, possibly a forward with potential. Trading Ebert would bring back an even bigger return, it all depends on how badly you want to change the make-up of the team.

As for potential forwards who might get moved...Clark or Bilcke, because they both do the same job, should be gone by Monday night. The return for Bilcke should be more than Clark, but Clark being an over-ager is the most logical player to get moved.

Chris Marchese and Michael Clarke are potential trade candidates as well. It again, depends on how much the Spitfire management wants to change the atmosphere in the dressing room. A trade involving either of these players would certainly shake up the team.

* Not familiar with his play but I see Ottawa D Jake Cardwell (Over-ager) may be on the trade block.

One other thing I'd like to mention has nothing to do with trades....whichever coach is responsible for line changes should take a long look in the mirror. I've seen a lot of hockey in my day but rarely have I seen the level of incompetence shown by this/these coaches.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Ottomatic

Seems like only three teams would be looking to "rebuild" already to take a shot at a "change of scenery" type player like Adam Bateman - Petes, Otters and 67's. I suspect the Pete's still plan to see what they got once Quine gets backup to speed. I think Erie might be the destination for Bateman - how is Connor Crisp as a player? He's scoring a bit more this year but I think the WR is looking for an endless motor every play is life or death type. It was mentioned in the trade thread that Crisp wanted out of Erie earlier in the season.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
youngblood10

Myself, I don't see how trading players who are scratches will change anything with the team. Not that I'm against trading anyone to improve the team but if they're going to shake things up they need to move a regular or two or more from the line up.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Windsor Chief

K. Rychel - trade him and watch the teams work ethic improve. AND as a former 40 goal guy he could probably land some usable assets coming back.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor Chief View Post
K. Rychel - trade him and watch the teams work ethic improve. AND as a former 40 goal guy he could probably land some usable assets coming back.
Not a bad suggestion, but only at the deadline when U can load up on picks and.or bodies.. Let Kerby go to someone making a run even the Knights or maybe DJ's Generals.If Koko returns I would do the same.

Something drastic will have to be done to get us some assets because of the loss of picks by Branch to set us up for the next 3 yrs at least.

Forget the bid for 2014.The monies not there in the community to support it anyway IMO.The auto sector is going to be hit again by job losses in the parts suppliers Ive been told locally.People are holding on tight.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Myself, I don't see how trading players who are scratches will change anything with the team. Not that I'm against trading anyone to improve the team but if they're going to shake things up they need to move a regular or two or more from the line up.
I agree with this, moving a bench guy is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. I would prefer if they dealt a more important piece to send a message. If the Spits moved Bateman I doubt any player would start thinking they are next.

With all that being said I watched Saginaw-Kingston yesterday and Webermin looks like a totally different defenseman, he looks confident, he rushes the puck well, he actually looks to have a clue in his own end, he's the first pair of D out on the PP, he's killing penalties. Boughner says none of the coaches are going anywhere but if you look at the D currently and don't see them making strides might be time to look at some of the coaches and why they can't get the most out of them.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:20 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Not a bad suggestion, but only at the deadline when U can load up on picks and.or bodies.. Let Kerby go to someone making a run even the Knights or maybe DJ's Generals.If Koko returns I would do the same.

Something drastic will have to be done to get us some assets because of the loss of picks by Branch to set us up for the next 3 yrs at least.

Forget the bid for 2014.The monies not there in the community to support it anyway IMO.The auto sector is going to be hit again by job losses in the parts suppliers Ive been told locally.People are holding on tight.
If Rychel wasn't GM I could see it but Warren ride or die with Kerby being the centerpiece of this team. Maybe they could get the 2014 Memorial Cup for 2013 we have the Saskatoon Blades hosting and currently they are the 4th worst team in the WHL. Maybe there is hope for Windsor even with a poor team to host a Memorial Cup?

Old
11-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
I agree with this, moving a bench guy is just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. I would prefer if they dealt a more important piece to send a message. If the Spits moved Bateman I doubt any player would start thinking they are next.

With all that being said I watched Saginaw-Kingston yesterday and Webermin looks like a totally different defenseman, he looks confident, he rushes the puck well, he actually looks to have a clue in his own end, he's the first pair of D out on the PP, he's killing penalties. Boughner says none of the coaches are going anywhere but if you look at the D currently and don't see them making strides might be time to look at some of the coaches and why they can't get the most out of them.
Yeah, I'm not liking our coaching right now. And it looks like we're stuck with them for the forseeable future as Jones and Matsos are not going to get hired away and the bloom is off the Boughner as next young NHL coach rose. Seems more like a lucky couple of draft classes rather than WR's keen eye for drafting/acquiring talent or Boughner and Co's ability to coach them up.

I expect Bateman to break out once he's traded. He should have asked for a trade weeks ago. Spits expect any smallish defenceman to be Ryan Ellis, and if they're not Ryan Ellis than they're in the dog house.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
I'm of the opinion that WR can't/won't shake things up drastically at this stage
but it sounds as if you'll probably see at least two new faces come Thursday night.

Although scoring is something we can really use right now I suspect it'll be veteran defensive help that will show up. Posa is the only veteran defensive D-Man on
the team. Sieloff certainly looks like he'll be a good defensive D-man but he's not quite yet. Ebert, Devlin, McNaughton,and Bateman are more offensive minded while Sanvido is a rookie (with potential) learning the ropes.

The forward group certainly has potential but if you aren't scoring you must be contributing defensively. It appears some players are more inclined to press the forward button and ease up on defensive responsibilities.

What I think will happen is a veteran left winger, who will score a few goals but play defensive hockey as well, will be brought in to replace Emmerson Clark. There is no reason to have both Clark and Bilcke taking up roster space. If you have both dressing for games your team is sadly lacking.

Who will get moved is the $64,000,000 question?

If you bring in a defensive D-man Devlin and Bateman are logical candidates to be
traded. Bateman would bring a greater return, possibly a forward with potential. Trading Ebert would bring back an even bigger return, it all depends on how badly you want to change the make-up of the team.

As for potential forwards who might get moved...Clark or Bilcke, because they both do the same job, should be gone by Monday night. The return for Bilcke should be more than Clark, but Clark being an over-ager is the most logical player to get moved.

Chris Marchese and Michael Clarke are potential trade candidates as well. It again, depends on how much the Spitfire management wants to change the atmosphere in the dressing room. A trade involving either of these players would certainly shake up the team.

* Not familiar with his play but I see Ottawa D Jake Cardwell (Over-ager) may be on the trade block.

One other thing I'd like to mention has nothing to do with trades....whichever coach is responsible for line changes should take a long look in the mirror. I've seen a lot of hockey in my day but rarely have I seen the level of incompetence shown by this/these coaches.
well, too late for cardwell, as he was traded to belleville this morning for a 3rd in 2013 and a 2nd and 5th in 2014, Belleville then traded Jason Shaw to saginaw for a 7th in 2013

Old
11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
giantsfan

It would be nice to some of the other players get some more playing time and opportunities on special teams. This team has a lot of talent but has not tapped into it yet - they focus on a very few number of players and run with them. Our winning percentage is bad - our PP is bad -our penalty kill is bad - our shootouts are even worse. At some point they need to try someone else in these situations.
If not, then you have to blame the losses on the key guys getting all the ice. Afterall, they are the ones that should be winning games ( and if they were winning they would get the credit - so if they'r not they need to take the blame). Change is good - freshen things up and motivate the others.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz fan 4ever View Post
well, too late for cardwell, as he was traded to belleville this morning for a 3rd in 2013 and a 2nd and 5th in 2014, Belleville then traded Jason Shaw to saginaw for a 7th in 2013
Cardwell was an OA. We need a 93 or 94.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
hockeyboy4

does anyone think of a possibility of trevor murphy comming to windsor, i heard things but i dont think he will be traded to windsor.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy4 View Post
does anyone think of a possibility of trevor murphy comming to windsor, i heard things but i dont think he will be traded to windsor.
I could see it happening with Adam Bateman going the other way,both might need a change of scenery,Spits would have to convince the Petes to take the designation of the gold edc pack while they would handle the final burden of edc should Bateman not make pro
Murphy aside from being local,has offensive skills with a bit of a bite to his game

Old
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
RayzorIsDull

Legend with OA D like Chiarliti, Cardwell and Beukeboom all being moved this year wouldn't it be foolish to keep Posa considering there is a need to recoup picks and the team isn't really a contender?

Old
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Spitsfan67*

We need that veteran Guy on our defense and Posa to me is perfect, he was here for a Mem cup win and can reallly help the younger guys along,And he is very steady for us. only way they should move him is for an overpayment.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Legend with OA D like Chiarliti, Cardwell and Beukeboom all being moved this year wouldn't it be foolish to keep Posa considering there is a need to recoup picks and the team isn't really a contender?
While I agree there is a need to recoup some picks,not ready to deal Posa yet,although if I can an overpayment as the last poster wrote u have to pull the trigger
Alot of Spits near future plans may ride on what Koko says to the spits after the subway series

Old
11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Sec108

Here's a couple of my thoughts .....Posa having that Cup experience might be attractive to team going for it at the deadline.Along with Koko after the WJers might want to finish the O on a team making a run.

I say lets go for assets for the next 2-3 yrs try hosting in 2017 with a good shot at the O title.

No way filling the building for the Cup next year if fans see we have no chance of winning it.Would be lucky to get half full.Lets remember it is a business.

I hope im wrong talking about pooh poohing the season,but we just dont have the right players at the moment.Chemistry is wrong IMO.If it wasnt for our strong goaltending we would be pathetic joining Erie.

Closed Thread