HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NBA Off-Season Thread: There's a new team in town

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2012, 09:07 PM
  #476
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,868
vCash: 500
Looking good for 4-0, loved that Tyson Chandler and 1 dunk!

17futurecap is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
  #477
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Defense sucked in the first half but great in the second half. Only 37 points.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 09:17 PM
  #478
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,081
vCash: 500
Ugly win but these are the kind of games the playoffs are like. Good job making adjustments in the second half.

__________________
New York RKY is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 09:23 PM
  #479
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
The #Knicks beat the #Heat, #Sixers and #Mavericks, who are a combined 12-1 against OTHER teams in the #NBA.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 09:29 PM
  #480
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,868
vCash: 500
Wow, just looked at the schedule, 8 of the next 10 on the road. Hopefully nice and easy at Orlando Tuesday, than a tough back to back in San Antonio and Memphis.

17futurecap is online now  
Old
11-09-2012, 09:31 PM
  #481
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Great start. I'm still the minority in wanting Amar'e back I bet

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 09:45 PM
  #482
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Thinking about this, I don't think they need Amar'e for the regular season. However, they will need him in the playoffs.

That's when your second option will be a factor. Teams with good defenses, will just double Melo. Also the rotation tends to shorten.

It's why the Bulls struggle a bit in the playoffs. They have to real legit second option. Just limit Rose and you should be good.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:48 PM
  #483
Groot
I am Groot.
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
It's pretty funny looking back at this thread when everybody was freaking out because of the losses of Lin/Fields and we got Kidd/Felton, can't say I blame anybody, it's just funny to see how different things happen compared to the way we thought they would.

Groot is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
  #484
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
People were freaking out about loss of Fields? lol.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
  #485
Groot
I am Groot.
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
People were freaking out about loss of Fields? lol.
Well not really Fields, but just in like the general direction the Knicks were headed, it's funny you were gonna jump ship to Brooklyn, but I guess that never happened.

Groot is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
  #486
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGRYK21 View Post
Well not really Fields, but just in like the general direction the Knicks were headed, it's funny you were gonna jump ship to Brooklyn, but I guess that never happened.
True. Nash rumors, etc.

And it's true, I was gonna jump ship to Brooklyn. But with Felton back, I stayed aboard. He is my favorite player.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 04:17 AM
  #487
Groot
I am Groot.
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
True. Nash rumors, etc.

And it's true, I was gonna jump ship to Brooklyn. But with Felton back, I stayed aboard. He is my favorite player.
I didn't mean to take a shot at you or anything, just thought it was interesting looking at everybody in the thread.

Well anyways, the Lakers hired their new coach.........Mike D'Antoni

Groot is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:56 AM
  #488
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,457
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGRYK21 View Post
I didn't mean to take a shot at you or anything, just thought it was interesting looking at everybody in the thread.

Well anyways, the Lakers hired their new coach.........Mike D'Antoni
D'Antoni is an outstanding offensive coach if I could recall, just brutal on the other side of the ball

Ave Maria is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 07:57 AM
  #489
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Lmao!

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:34 AM
  #490
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,285
vCash: 500
Steven A. Smith railing the Lakers on sportcenter for this decision.

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
  #491
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Steven A. Smith railing the Lakers on sportcenter for this decision.
Rightfully so. How does this work? We've seen D'Antoni up close here in NY. We have a good beat on what he does.
Nice man, flawed coach.

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 10:56 AM
  #492
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,732
vCash: 500
Dantoni is inheriting (when healthy) the best starting 5 in the NBA. I'm curious to see how this plays out. Hopefully he asks Cup-check to trade Pau for Amare straight up.

GWOW is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
  #493
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,889
vCash: 500
D'antoni with Nash brought the Suns to the WCF.

Now he has Kobe, Pau and Dwight, too.

Unless Kobe pulls a Melo then I think it'll work out for them.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 03:13 PM
  #494
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
D'antoni with Nash brought the Suns to the WCF.

Now he has Kobe, Pau and Dwight, too.

Unless Kobe pulls a Melo then I think it'll work out for them.
Then D'Antoni runs into the Spurs.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
  #495
94Obsession
Registered User
 
94Obsession's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Then D'Antoni runs into the Spurs.
Actually, the Suns in 2005 were better than the Spurs and had a 3-1 series lead on them that year in the WCF and would've won the NBA championship as they had a MUCH better team than the Pistons that year who the Spurs beat in the NBA championship.

That whole series turned around when a Spurs player (who's name escapes me right now) in Game 5 pushed Steve Nash hard and then there was almost a fight and punches thrown, but mainly it was just a scuffle because of the hard foul on Nash in that game.

Thanks to a VERY dumb rule that David Stern implemented in 1997 (i'll be getting to that in a minute) where if any player from any bench puts a foot on the court when things are out of control, despite not doing anything, you are then suspended automatically for no reason. Mind you, The Suns players that were suspended in Games 6 & 7 were I think a combination of Stoudemire, who was a real difference maker back then, and a force to be reckoned with, and in his prime, and some other players from the Suns that I can't remember, and from the Spurs too, but the odds clearly favored the Spurs with these suspensions.

You might ask yourself what's it to me and why do I care enough to respond and defend the Suns that year against the Spurs? Well for one, my best friend is a long time Suns fan, and I actually feel for him over that incident because the same damned thing happened to the Knicks in 1997 against the Miami Heat when they were up 3-1 in their 2nd round matchup when PJ Brown tossed Charlie Ward like a rag doll, and you know what happened? Patrick Ewing, John Starks, and some other Knicks players that were important to that team or those teams got suspended for Games 6 & 7 for no reason, other than Ewing barely stepping on the court during that whole incident, when in fact the Knicks were MUCH better than the Heat that year.

So what happens? The Heat wind up coming back against the Knicks that year and go on to face the Bulls when in fact the Knicks had a better than good shot of actually knocking off Jordan's Bulls that year as that was Larry Johnson's, and Allan Houston's first year as Knicks, and that was probably the best team or Ewing had as far as being surrounded by talent and so much depth that year in 1997.

This was all because David Stern made up a rule that year in the Knicks-Heat series, directly after that incident, that if you put a foot on the court during a scuffle or an incident, you are automatically suspended despite if you didn't do anything.

Nice rule.

This was what set off the Knicks-Heat rivalry. I know they got their revenge 3 straight years in a row right after that year in 1998, 1999, and 2000. But I would trade in the 2000 playoff series win against the Heat for a matchup in 1997 against the Bulls with that Knicks team just to see what would've might've happened as that particular Knicks team had their best shot against Jordan's Bulls. (except 1993)

It really makes me hate David Stern.

David Stern is as much of a joke as Gary Bettman as far as being a horrible commissioner that makes pretty bad decisions goes.

I still enjoy the NBA now I guess, but I miss how it was in the 90's and how physical it was and how it used to be with the hand-checking. You used to have to fight tooth and nail just to get to the basket and score. Not now though. You should have to fight tooth and nail just to score now. It should be that hard to score.

David Stern has watered down that league so bad and you are not able to be too physical anymore. But i've noticed this year so far that the Refs have been letting some stuff go and letting the players play for the most part. I hope it continues.

Anyway, it still makes me mad till this day of what happened in that series when I think about it.

Just saying.

Knicks look great so far this year though, and I really love the way they play now so far this year. Hopefully it can continue.

94Obsession is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 05:48 PM
  #496
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,889
vCash: 500
Fantastic post. I agree with every point.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
  #497
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Obsession View Post
Actually, the Suns in 2005 were better than the Spurs and had a 3-1 series lead on them that year in the WCF and would've won the NBA championship as they had a MUCH better team than the Pistons that year who the Spurs beat in the NBA championship.

That whole series turned around when a Spurs player (who's name escapes me right now) in Game 5 pushed Steve Nash hard and then there was almost a fight and punches thrown, but mainly it was just a scuffle because of the hard foul on Nash in that game.

Thanks to a VERY dumb rule that David Stern implemented in 1997 (i'll be getting to that in a minute) where if any player from any bench puts a foot on the court when things are out of control, despite not doing anything, you are then suspended automatically for no reason. Mind you, The Suns players that were suspended in Games 6 & 7 were I think a combination of Stoudemire, who was a real difference maker back then, and a force to be reckoned with, and in his prime, and some other players from the Suns that I can't remember, and from the Spurs too, but the odds clearly favored the Spurs with these suspensions.

You might ask yourself what's it to me and why do I care enough to respond and defend the Suns that year against the Spurs? Well for one, my best friend is a long time Suns fan, and I actually feel for him over that incident because the same damned thing happened to the Knicks in 1997 against the Miami Heat when they were up 3-1 in their 2nd round matchup when PJ Brown tossed Charlie Ward like a rag doll, and you know what happened? Patrick Ewing, John Starks, and some other Knicks players that were important to that team or those teams got suspended for Games 6 & 7 for no reason, other than Ewing barely stepping on the court during that whole incident, when in fact the Knicks were MUCH better than the Heat that year.

So what happens? The Heat wind up coming back against the Knicks that year and go on to face the Bulls when in fact the Knicks had a better than good shot of actually knocking off Jordan's Bulls that year as that was Larry Johnson's, and Allan Houston's first year as Knicks, and that was probably the best team or Ewing had as far as being surrounded by talent and so much depth that year in 1997.

This was all because David Stern made up a rule that year in the Knicks-Heat series, directly after that incident, that if you put a foot on the court during a scuffle or an incident, you are automatically suspended despite if you didn't do anything.

Nice rule.

This was what set off the Knicks-Heat rivalry. I know they got their revenge 3 straight years in a row right after that year in 1998, 1999, and 2000. But I would trade in the 2000 playoff series win against the Heat for a matchup in 1997 against the Bulls with that Knicks team just to see what would've might've happened as that particular Knicks team had their best shot against Jordan's Bulls. (except 1993)

It really makes me hate David Stern.

David Stern is as much of a joke as Gary Bettman as far as being a horrible commissioner that makes pretty bad decisions goes.

I still enjoy the NBA now I guess, but I miss how it was in the 90's and how physical it was and how it used to be with the hand-checking. You used to have to fight tooth and nail just to get to the basket and score. Not now though. You should have to fight tooth and nail just to score now. It should be that hard to score.

David Stern has watered down that league so bad and you are not able to be too physical anymore. But i've noticed this year so far that the Refs have been letting some stuff go and letting the players play for the most part. I hope it continues.

Anyway, it still makes me mad till this day of what happened in that series when I think about it.

Just saying.

Knicks look great so far this year though, and I really love the way they play now so far this year. Hopefully it can continue.
This was only one series. And in 2005, the Spurs beat the Suns 4-1 in the conference finals.

The incident that you're looking for happened in 2007 and I agree that it was an absolute travesty. I had never been more upset watching basketball. Horry only got suspended for 1 game and he took out the Suns' big man, elbowed their MVP point guard causing him to bleed and took out one of the best six man in the league. I can't even fathom how much I wanted the Cavs to win that year.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
  #498
94Obsession
Registered User
 
94Obsession's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This was only one series. And in 2005, the Spurs beat the Suns 4-1 in the conference finals.

The incident that you're looking for happened in 2007 and I agree that it was an absolute travesty. I had never been more upset watching basketball. Horry only got suspended for 1 game and he took out the Suns' big man, elbowed their MVP point guard causing him to bleed and took out one of the best six man in the league. I can't even fathom how much I wanted the Cavs to win that year.
Are you sure about that it was in 2007 and not 2005? Anyway, if not, my bad.

Thanks for the response.

Obviously the Knicks one pisses me off even more as I'm a Knicks fan.

Just was saying how much of a dumb made-up rule it is and how much the Knicks and Suns got screwed over.

94Obsession is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 09:10 AM
  #499
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,892
vCash: 500
Have really gotten back into the Knicks last few years. I was a die-hard in the 1990s but was driven away by the crappy product and the way Isiah ran the Knicks. NBA has gotten better. Star driven league and stars are as good as ever. Big markets are good.

1997 was the ONLY time that the Heat beat the Knicks in the playoffs. That was all Stern. Knicks split with the Bulls that year as well I believe.

The schedule sure has been favorable to the Knicks thus far, but this veteran team is, as Grunwald envisioned, built for the playoffs. Jason Kidd, one of my favorite players of all-time, has an extremely high basketball IQ and similar veterans who know they have a role to play compliment the team. Amar'e, as others have said, should come off bench when he's healthy. He and Smith would make the Knicks bench the best in the league. Brewer isn't going to shoot like this all year, but let Melo play the 4. They will still have to co-exist in crunch time somehow, but limit their time out their together in quarters 1-3. Let each player get his time to take over and continue to play with the same ball movement.

On D'Antoni, he is a good guy but not a great coach. He is great offensive mind but he honestly had the easiest coaching gig in NYC up until the Melo trade. The first two years were spent waiting for LeBron and no one cared about the playoffs and wins/losses. Sure, those teams weren't great, but he never got the most out of them. He showed zero flexibility in his offense and coaching when Melo did come aboard. Melo has been a difficult player for most of his career, but D'Antoni did nothing to try and build around his best player's strengths. Melo has to continue to prove himself under Woodson and has played a much more complete game dating back to the end of last year. I don't think D'Antoni will get it done under the bright lights and high pressure of LA.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
  #500
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,889
vCash: 500
http://hoopchalk.com/2012/11/13/mike...nicks-offense/

Intriguing stuff.

Woodson for COTY?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.