HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2012-2013 CIS Regular Season Discussion

Old
11-11-2012, 04:54 PM
SnipeShow91

vCash: 500
If I were to pick a big sleeper team for the OUA, its Windsor. We just finished a weekend series with them, and they are a strong hockey team. Great goalie tandem, strong power play, physical, quick transition. If they get really going, look out OUA West.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Because of the combination of the unbalanced schedule each year and the old OUA Far West and Far East not crossing over to play each other for several years, this was the first regular season game between Western and McGill since the early 90's. It also ends a string of 6 consecutive exhbitition and playoff McGill victories over Western dating back to the 2009 Nationals
Wow. I never realized that the crossovers were that rare.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:25 PM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Wow. I never realized that the crossovers were that rare.
Since I made that post I did a bit more digging because I was feeling like it wasn't correct and I was right (thank goodness for Bob Adams' site). Western and McGill last met in the regular season in 2006 (a tie at it happens).

What was rare was crossovers between the old OUA Far West and Far East divisions - back when the OUA was organized into four divisions. Between 1992/93 and 2008.2009 the Far West teams (Lakehead/Laurier, Western, Windsor, Waterloo) did not play the Far East teams (McGill, UQTR, Concordia, Ottawa) during the regular season. The only exception was 2006/2007, when the OUA went from 26 to 28 regular season games and everybody played everyone at least once. They changed the scheduling again at the start of 2007 so the Far/Far crossovers didn't happen again.

When Nipissing joined the league in 2009, the OUA reorganized into two divisions, with each East division team playing 4 games against the West division each year. I'm not sure the criteria for the opponents - it feels a bit random. I'm pretty sure McGill was the last of the eastern teams Western had not played since they went to this format.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
With the OUA east-west cross-overs now complete, a somewhat clearer picture about the strenght within the league is starting to show:

1. The West had their way with the East this year, sporting a 25-10-1 record (a number of games went past 60 minutes, with the record for the East at 11-19-6). Two points separate 1st through 4th in the West, and 7 points separate 1st through 8th.

2. There does not appear to be a dominant team in the East, meaning there could be a tight and interesting race between UQTR, McGill, Ottawa, and Carleton. Toronto's early season run of no losses in regulation is looking more and more like they just had a good stretch of games. Still, they may end up in the mix for top spot as well.

3. Windsor sits atop the West at 8-2-0, altough they've had a fairly light schedule so far. But, they were strong down the stretch last year have continued to play well

4. After a slow start, Western seems to be finding themselves now having won 5 straight wins, including strong wins over both Ottawa and McGill.

5. Guelph was the team last year that I could never get a handle on. They looked good on paper but could not put wins together (that team this year seems to be Waterloo). Guelph looks good so far this year.

6. One of the most pleasant surprises so far is Laurier, who after a dismal year last year, are sitting at 4-5-1, including wins over Carleton and Windsor.
I am glad to see the OUA West improved after poor cross over results last year. All in all, I find it really tough to get a handle on which teams are truly better than the other teams. The order top to bottom to me is still very muddled, with most teams capable of beating any other team, as seen with Laurier (currently in last) with a win in their only meeting with Windsor (currently in first).

I watched Carleton on Friday. They are a very strong team, but have suffered from very poor goaltending. Their main starter is ineligible to play until after Christmas. I expect a strong second half from them and they will be my pick for nationals out of the East.

I agree with your assessment of Guelph. In terms of favourite for nationals, Lakehead is likely still it, but I will pick Guelph as my team that I think will achieve good things this year. Despite having 2 major junior goaltenders in Cody St. Jacques and Andrew Loverock, Guelph has suffered from poor goaltending statistics these past few years. Their team is fast and are now 5-0 with Brandon Maxwell in net, with him having a .937 save percentage and 1.85 goals against average. I would not want to play them in the playoffs.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
rantfather

STILL NO INFO RE PETE BELLIVEAU dismissal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I can't believe I might be agreeing with Ranter , but like Gleanerguy I've always been treated the best by Belliveau, who always accommodates media and gives straight answers to questions. He's a likeable guy.

Seeing as Dal sacked their AD not that long ago (and Pete's contract extension probably had a lot to do with that ...) I would not be surprised if indeed Dal is sacrificing Pete to the CIS to cover their butts.

We'll just have to wait to see what is made public about the investigation.
IT is neither proper or right that rmlir and innuendo has been allowed to stand wkthout clarifying statements from CIS and Dal about Pete being thrown under the bus and the specific reasons for it.

It has been OVER a month that no.clarification has appeared and it is NOT RIGHT that he be skewered in this manner.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC at Windsor (Nov 9th) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-_-M...ature=youtu.be

RMC at Windsor (Nov 10th) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euAdM...ature=youtu.be

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:00 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
IT is neither proper or right that rmlir and innuendo has been allowed to stand wkthout clarifying statements from CIS and Dal about Pete being thrown under the bus and the specific reasons for it.

It has been OVER a month that no.clarification has appeared and it is NOT RIGHT that he be skewered in this manner.
He is NOT being thrown under any bus. The school had good reason to release him and they did. Dal is under no obligation to tell the world what transpired with Pete.
He has not been "skewered" since Oct 25th. You are the one keeping this alive.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:06 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
He is NOT being thrown under any bus. The school had good reason to release him and they did. Dal is under no obligation to tell the world what transpired with Pete.
He has not been "skewered" since Oct 25th. You are the one keeping this alive.
I had actually completely forgotten about it....and honestly couldn't care less if what happened ever comes to light.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
AUS Fan

Dal filed their Disclosure to the CIS two weeks ago. Should the CIS decide to make it public, it will be on the CIS website.....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Alberta

Is Alberta better than the team that lost in overtime to SMU in 2010?
Have they improved from the team we saw at Nationals in Freddy in 2011?
Top 6 forwards Ryan, Hunter, Klassen have been replaced by Hickmott (10 goals/17 pts),Koper and Lazo.
The backend looks to be very similar and mobile, as usual.
Goaltending was not a bright spot in The 2011 Nationals, as Mucha struggled during that tournament.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
clear the track

u Ottawa vs Carleton

Should be a good tilt between these two rivals tonite. Carleton on paper should be running away with the OUA east. Not sure what their problem is but it appears in the last few games to be moving in the right direction. uOttawa started the season strong but have a huge list of injuries that have decimated their starting lineup. Their first line is gone with injuries.

Having said that the games between these two teams are slugfests and riddled with penalties. I'm sure the ICE House will be rocking tonite.

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:22 AM
AUShockeyfan

At the Father David Bauer Arena this evening, the unranked Calgary Dinos smashed the #3 Sask Huskies 8-0 before a handful and a half of spectators.

Calgary played a full 60 mins, and out-paced the Huskies in all aspects of the game never letting their foot off the gas, even after they scored their 6th goal. The listless Huskies showed very little pushback tonight, and never looked as though they would mount any sort of comeback. Tonnes of mistakes in all three zones of the rink, poor decisions in the offensive zone (passing instead of shooting, hesitating, etc.) and poor PP with the possible exception of their last PP chance.

The Huskies, an averaged-sized team, played smaller than they are; hardly throwing their body around (with exception of one smashing early in the third along the wall), and when they did decide to create contact more often than not would bounce of the opposing player.

Maybe the bus was late getting in or something this evening, but would expect to see a much more focused group tomorrow. Again, the Dinos collectively were solid all night long a deserve credit for the bigtime win...

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:54 AM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Dal filed their Disclosure to the CIS two weeks ago. Should the CIS decide to make it public, it will be on the CIS website.....
It's my understanding that CIS has to reveal the results as part of the process. I believe they do their own investigation and sanctions.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:08 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
It's my understanding that CIS has to reveal the results as part of the process. I believe they do their own investigation and sanctions.
The Rumor is Pete was using Hockey funds to play that $1 a play game when you first walk into all Wallmart Locations.

If you havent tried it your missing out

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Bob Stauffer

Re:Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Is Alberta better than the team that lost in overtime to SMU in 2010?
Have they improved from the team we saw at Nationals in Freddy in 2011?
Top 6 forwards Ryan, Hunter, Klassen have been replaced by Hickmott (10 goals/17 pts),Koper and Lazo.
The backend looks to be very similar and mobile, as usual.
Goaltending was not a bright spot in The 2011 Nationals, as Mucha struggled during that tournament.
The Golden Bears don't have a Derek Ryan or Chad Klassen on this year's team. Those two finished 1-2 in Conference scoring for three straight seasons.
But they do have a real diversified scoring attack and play with greater commitment and work ethic and Ian Herbers has implemented structure and process back into Alberta's game.
Mucha, by his own admission was awful at the 2011 Nationals but the Bears weren't good enough either. He is back to playing at the level he showed at Oilers Camp in the fall of 2009.
Right now the Bears are playing about as well as the program has since the 2004-05 season. Better than they did in the 2005-06 or 2007-08 when they won National Titles.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

What's Alberta looking like in terms of size this season? One thing that struck me at Nationals in 2011 was how small they were, especially up front.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
mikeandI

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
What's Alberta looking like in terms of size this season? One thing that struck me at Nationals in 2011 was how small they were, especially up front.
IMO
Bob is still the biggest bear they got. toomey and doborowski have size but no bite up front and their D are tiny. Barteau used to play with some edge but none at all now just what they are saying.
however I was just looking at goals for in CanWest ...holy toledo they are scoring tons!
Manitoba took a big step backwards this weekend losing to UBC
battle of can west giants this week!
is it in Edmontown or UBC?

mikeandI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Rob

Does anyone know when they will announce the host of the 2015-2016 tournaments?

Old
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Does anyone know when they will announce the host of the 2015-2016 tournaments?
It should be pretty soon I would think. Just doing a quick Google search...Lakehead was announced June 20th, 2006, UNB was announced on December 4th, 2008 and Saskatchewan was announced on July 5th, 2010.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
It should be pretty soon I would think. Just doing a quick Google search...Lakehead was announced June 20th, 2006, UNB was announced on December 4th, 2008 and Saskatchewan was announced on July 5th, 2010.
I would like it to be in a big city. Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto(although that is unlikely).

Old
11-18-2012, 09:20 PM
thook

Quote:
I would like it to be in a big city. Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto(although that is unlikely).
I would love for it to be in thunder bay again. I think they did a good job last time and I would love to see that tournament again!

thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

When you consider the schools that would be willing to fork over the money to host it, would have a suitably sized arena, and would have enough fan support to make it successful...there really aren't that many places where it could be held. Unless of course the even is held off-campus, like in Saskatchewan. What about Nipissing?

Old
11-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
When you consider the schools that would be willing to fork over the money to host it, would have a suitably sized arena, and would have enough fan support to make it successful...there really aren't that many places where it could be held. Unless of course the even is held off-campus, like in Saskatchewan. What about Nipissing?
Yeah, that what I was thinking with the bigger cities. For example if Carleton was hosting they could play out the the major junior rink. (the Sens rink would be out of the question). If UofT was hosting they could play where the Marlies do.

I thought I read that Nipissing was bidding for it but I'm not 100% sure.

P.S - Is it going to the OUA for sure?

Last edited by Rob: 11-18-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 06:36 AM
northvanman

Quote:
Montreal or Ottawa are both intriguing. Outside of those two, I think Thunder Bay is the only other location that makes sense in the OUA. Nipissing is the only other team in the league besides Lakehead that seems to have a really strong fan base, based on attendance, and while they have certainly been respectable, I'm not sure this is a team you want coming through the back door as one of your six national finalists.

In theory Toronto should work, but it's been years since any of the three Toronto teams have been strong (I think York made it to the Nationals 04/05) and my sense is that fan support is pretty soft for all 3 teams - plus Toronto is just an odd place in terms of support for minor sport. And even then, do you want one of these three teams in the tournament as host?

In theory, Kitchener-Waterloo should work because they've got two teams in town, Guelph is 30 minutes away, and Brock, Western and the Toronto teams are all about an hour away. And the Sun Life Arena, where Laurier plays, is perfect. But they tried this several years ago and from what I recall, attendance was so-so.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 07:32 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Kitchener and Waterloo hosted for 3 years in 200-3.
From an attendance perspective, it was a disaster!

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote