2012 CBA Discussion III (Lockout Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 07:45 AM
JMiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I dont see how we as fans should be rooting for the financial well being of the players.

Financially sound owners and franchises are very much more in our best interests, IMO.
IMO we should be rooting for hockey and one side has shut it down the last three chances they got. I don't fear for JJ's finances.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
IMO we should be rooting for hockey and one side has shut it down the last three chances they got. I don't fear for JJ's finances.
Say that to Edmonton and other Canadian teams who almost lost their franchises after the 1994 lockout.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:57 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Say that to Edmonton and other Canadian teams who almost lost their franchises after the 1994 lockout.
A bad record and a weak Canadian dollar are problems of team and league management, not player compensation IMO.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
First, thank you for all the great post and information you provide. Bottom line OOG , do you feel we have a season ?

Old
11-12-2012, 08:09 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Thank you for all the info you bring here and the optimism!

Old
11-12-2012, 08:30 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan View Post
Your giving it until Thursday? I am giving up on the season as of today and strangely instead of anger and disappointment I feel relief and liberated that I am not going to wake up each day hoping that this is the day that these buffoons can compromise enough to open the path to an agreement.

Unfortunately I like hockey too much to give it up so hopefully there will be hockey next season.
Yes I am on record as predicting this will be over by the 15th.

At midnight I am turning on the backyard lights and building a penalty box; I will sit in it for 2 minutes and feel shame. After that I will tune out the NHL and enjoy watching very entertaining AHL games- atleast one a week, and a couple of college games a month.

The silver lining is if this season never happens the AHL All-Star game is in Providence and between that, the skills, and parties for it should be fun.

I ran out of optimistic pills on Saturday and thinking of not picking up my order.

Also, I LOVE football- I will watch tonights game; I will watch NFL replays, and last night I watched my first episode ever of Family Guy and I loved it. I may go watch the first 199 episodes I missed in lieu of da broons.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
bossfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I watched my first episode ever of Family Guy and I loved it. I may go watch the first 199 episodes I missed in lieu of da broons.
Maybe Seth McFarlane can do a Family Guy episode about the NHL negotiations with Stewie going to a negotiations session to pummel everyone in the room.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
I do agree with you on this but you have to admit that the NHL owners who signed these deals this summer, even after being warned by Bettman about the uncertainty of a new CBA, should be men enough to live up to them and pay them out.

How they do it is one thing, but they should be made do it.
Jamie, will send you a PM later- my thoughts are with you and your family and yes I am going to with SIM (just got an iphone and need to find some teenager to teach me how to use it) also, will be up in spring and we will hook up and have a blast- I promise we will have a good time

Old
11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Kalus

Quote:
I don't think you understand the places where most boxers come from- and I'd guess you have had some pretty good choices in life.
Not right to bring me into it personally as you dont know me and you dont know what i have been through. I'll leave that at that.

Points have been made. This is veering political. No point in arguing it further.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
I do agree with you on this but you have to admit that the NHL owners who signed these deals this summer, even after being warned by Bettman about the uncertainty of a new CBA, should be men enough to live up to them and pay them out.

How they do it is one thing, but they should be made do it.
Any good owner would have no choice but to make those deals. Imagine the criticism if they didn't form deals based around what they currently allowed under the current CBA, and instead tried to lowball their best players for a price they thought actually fair? You don't have to imagine it, you just need to look back at the criticism Jacobs got for doing just that. His image still hasn't recovered after spending to the cap for as long as the cap's been in place (over that even at times) and bringing a Stanley Cup to Boston. Nashville might has well of closed to the doors to the arena if they didn't match for Weber even though it was well outside their comfort level.

The owners are in it to make money, this is a business. Making millions of dollars a year for investing/owning/running a national sports franchise isn't ludicrous (or shouldn't be). Making millions of dollars to play a game however...

I understand wanting to be fairly compensated and treated properly. At what point do the demands for such become ridiculous? They're well past that point in professional sports imo.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Also, for those angry the NHL locked the players out this time around..

Would you rather the players have gone on strike in April?

Now that is something that would make me give up on the NHL. Luckily the owners stopped that before it happened.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:

Now that is something that would make me give up on the NHL. Luckily the owners stopped that before it happened.
Only time the players went on strike was in 1992, and it lasted 10 days and it was under Ziegler. It took Bettman 1 year to impose one of his beloved lockouts which lead to 3 teams having to be shipped elsewhere.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Only time the players went on strike was in 1992, and it lasted 10 days and it was under Ziegler. It took Bettman 1 year to impose one of his beloved lockouts which lead to 3 teams having to be shipped elsewhere.
And there has not been a player strike since you know who in 1994.

No way pro sports owners ever that that happen again,

Old
11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
JMiller

Quote:

It's hard for me to hate the nhlpa for something they didn't do.

If they went on strike in April I'd be pissed, but thats only happened in imagination-land.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Any good owner would have no choice but to make those deals. Imagine the criticism if they didn't form deals based around what they currently allowed under the current CBA, and instead tried to lowball their best players for a price they thought actually fair? You don't have to imagine it, you just need to look back at the criticism Jacobs got for doing just that. His image still hasn't recovered after spending to the cap for as long as the cap's been in place (over that even at times) and bringing a Stanley Cup to Boston. Nashville might has well of closed to the doors to the arena if they didn't match for Weber even though it was well outside their comfort level.

The owners are in it to make money, this is a business. Making millions of dollars a year for investing/owning/running a national sports franchise isn't ludicrous (or shouldn't be). Making millions of dollars to play a game however...

I understand wanting to be fairly compensated and treated properly. At what point do the demands for such become ridiculous? They're well past that point in professional sports imo.
Your two points seem contradictory- "Owners over-pay because they're afraid of being criticized" and "its strictly about making a profit off of an investment"

Also players aren't paid millions because they play a game, they make millions because people will pay billions to watch them play.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
And there has not been a player strike since you know who in 1994.

No way pro sports owners ever that that happen again,
Since the 1994 baseball strike, a 34-game lockout, and the entire 2004-2005 and 2012-2013 seasons wiped out as a negociation tactics by the labor stoppage king.Slowly sending the NHL into irrelevancy.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:04 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
NBCSports should threaten to pull the TV contract. They need some pressure from the outside...

Old
11-12-2012, 10:08 AM
WBC8

Quote:
It's hard for me to hate the nhlpa for something they didn't do.

If they went on strike in April I'd be pissed, but thats only happened in imagination-land.
I don't like the way the NHLPA refused to negotiate before the CBA expired...The owners were saying it was not going to be extended and was not working for awhile....I also hate the fact they hired a guy like Fehr who is notorious for acrimonious dealings...

The owners are ridiculous for not wanting to honor already signed contracts...that is beyond criminal IMO.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
NBCSports should threaten to pull the TV contract. They need some pressure from the outside...
The lockout gives NBC the chance to air more viewed events like rodeos, women's golfing and bowling.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
I figured this would've happened by now. With the winter classic being cancelled i'm surprised NBC didn't pull a quasi espn move and tell them to go screw. That contract the nhl got from nbc they absolutely do not deserve.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
JMiller

Quote:
I don't like the way the NHLPA refused to negotiate before the CBA expired...The owners were saying it was not going to be extended and was not working for awhile....I also hate the fact they hired a guy like Fehr who is notorious for acrimonious dealings...

The owners are ridiculous for not wanting to honor already signed contracts...that is beyond criminal IMO.
I hear you about the refusal to negotiate early, but I give them a pass on that because I"d like to think they wanted to focus on playing the game at the time (who wants cba drama in the locker room come playoff time). Fehr is a hard ass and there is no doubt they wanted a hardass after eating **** the last time through.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
WBC8

Quote:
I hear you about the refusal to negotiate early, but I give them a pass on that because I"d like to think they wanted to focus on playing the game at the time (who wants cba drama in the locker room come playoff time). Fehr is a hard ass and there is no doubt they wanted a hardass after eating **** the last time through.
Yeah easy for me since it's not my money.

The hiring of Fehr made me think there wouldn't be a season this year, so maybe that's why I'm not that shocked or upset... I do like how he gets under the skin of Bettman though...Hard to get under the skin of a cockroach.

Closed Thread