HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Canada World Junior team - anyone care to take a stab?

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
goaltending is a huge problem - but I disagree that the CHL import rule has the impact some people claim. Even with imports, there should be more than enough talent available that we can have quality goaltending.

The problem isn't the import rule (or, at least, not as much as people claim) - it's poor development in Canada.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
I am all for limiting import players but probably wouldn't go to a zero limit as I think it may shrink the talent base of the league too much and hurt player development.
I'm ok with it either way, and I think it's important to help support the development of players from non-traditional hockey powers, Denmark for example.. but I don't appreciate much 18 year old drafted Swedish goaltenders being 1st year players in the OHL who get playing time over a 16-17 year old Canadian. The CHL's mandate is first and foremost a Canadian developmental league. But, there's no doubt that the influx of European talent into the Canadian hockey league has been more of a positive than a negative in all areas except for goaltending... but whether the two are linked I can't say. I would like to see a rule whereby 18 year old drafted European goaltenders are ineligible to play in the CHL. If you are not a drafted European import at age 17, then they can't enter the CHL once they've already been drafted by an NHL team. See Dansk of the Erie Otters. I think the development of Dansk should be Sweden's priority and not ours.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
goaltending is a huge problem - but I disagree that the CHL import rule has the impact some people claim. Even with imports, there should be more than enough talent available that we can have quality goaltending.

The problem isn't the import rule (or, at least, not as much as people claim) - it's poor development in Canada.

i can agree with that as well. Everything should be on the table and upon to review and changes made.

The best part of Hockey in Canada is that we all can recognize where there are shortcomings and regardless of the root causes we all know what needs to be improved upon... This is one area I won't criticize HC, as they are aware of it and are trying to address it...it may take years before we see any tangible results. Just like the changes that were implemented in 1998 took 4-5 years before we saw the results.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 11-12-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old
11-12-2012, 09:20 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm ok with it either way, and I think it's important to help support the development of players from non-traditional hockey powers, Denmark for example.. but I don't appreciate much 18 year old drafted Swedish goaltenders being 1st year players in the OHL who get playing time over a 16-17 year old Canadian. The CHL's mandate is first and foremost a Canadian developmental league. But, there's no doubt that the influx of European talent into the Canadian hockey league has been more of a positive than a negative in all areas except for goaltending... but whether the two are linked I can't say. I would like to see a rule whereby 18 year old drafted European goaltenders are ineligible to play in the CHL. If you are not a drafted European import at age 17, then they can't enter the CHL once they've already been drafted by an NHL team. See Dansk of the Erie Otters. I think the development of Dansk should be Sweden's priority and not ours.
If you look at the number of teams in the CHL, the # who have a No. 1 euro goalie really aren't that many. Also, the guy who's arguably been the best goalie in the OHL this year (Gibson) is an American. Mahalak, who is also having a really good year, is from Michigan. That's not helping Canadian development either - and changing the import rule won't stop Americans from playing.

I just think blaming our goalie problem on imports is way overblown.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:24 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
so all europeans are small? north-americans needs to stop seeing europeans as the same thing, its a HUGE diffrence beetwen sweden and russia for exemple....and finland plays a very physical hockey etc.
No not all Europeans are small but on average theyre a lot more skinny and brought up in a much less physical brand of hockey than Canadians. Even the finns who I know play physical hockey are not physical to a level to compete physically with North American teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
The real issue for Canada right now for me as an outside observer is their goalies stink usually. They just aren't all that great. It is even starting to show at the highest level. It is a problem they need to address.
This hasnt really been stressed enough. Canada has Carey Price who I consider elite and will be hopefully the starter in Sochi. But Luongo is old and on the down side of his career, after that there isnt much talent. MAF is not that good, hes an average starter.

I think Malcolm Subban might have it though. Hes really impressed when I've watched him. Canada usually needs a goalie who makes the saves he has to and they can win, I think Subban can do that

Old
11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
espo*

I'm afraid it Would hurt our player development, that is my main concern.

As far as helping develop talent from Denmark..............I don't really care.

I don't care for helping players from anywhere else honestly.

The thing is, a few high end talents from elsewhere is most likely good for our players development in that it creates a higher quality competition through all teams in the leagues.

Quote:

Old
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
If you look at the number of teams in the CHL, the # who have a No. 1 euro goalie really aren't that many. Also, the guy who's arguably been the best goalie in the OHL this year (Gibson) is an American. Mahalak, who is also having a really good year, is from Michigan. That's not helping Canadian development either - and changing the import rule won't stop Americans from playing.

Overblown perhaps...but everything should be open to discussion. More CHL teams! I'm all for that.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:42 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:

Agreed. The CHL is focused on preparing players for professional hockey and/or post-secondary education. If that player is Canadian, great. If that player is American, great. If that player is European, great. The CHL doesn't care. It matters to Hockey Canada but the nationality of its players is not the CHL's focus or business.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Puempel - Nugent-Hopkins - Rattie
Drouin - MacKinnon - Huberdeau
Schiefele - Strome - Ritchie
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Monahan, Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart - Ouellet
Ceci, Dumba

Subban
Binnington

- Keeps the linemates together (Drouin/MacKinnon & Strome/Ritchie)
- Two of the best CHL snipers on either side of Hopkins would be deadly
- Don't want Murphy on the team, plays too selfishly for my liking
- Binnington is having a great season, goaltending looks much better than previous years

*Not what I predict will happen, but what I'd like to see happen*

Old
11-12-2012, 10:19 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Overblown perhaps...but everything should be open to discussion. More CHL teams! I'm all for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Agreed. The CHL is focused on preparing players for professional hockey and/or post-secondary education. If that player is Canadian, great. If that player is American, great. If that player is European, great. The CHL doesn't care. It matters to Hockey Canada but the nationality of its players is not the CHL's focus or business.
had to come home early from work to wait for a furniture delivery (yeah, TMI) and decided to use the time coming up with a list of all the teams in the CHL and whether they had an import goalie (I know, I know ). Anyway, that "project" was as stupid as it sounds and I started to lose interest very quickly. Tenacity made me finish my OHL list (the other CHL leagues will wait for one of you to do them - or maybe i'll do it over the weekend).

In any event, here's the list of foreign goalies in the OHL. Y = import goalie; N = no import goalie; N(US) = team has no import goalie, but a goalie from the US (note that not all the teams w/ an "import goalie" have that guy as their #1 goaltender):

barrie Y
belleville N
brampton Y
erie Y
guelph N (US)
kingston N
kitchener N (US)
London N
mississauga N
niagara N
oshawa N
ottawa N
owen sound N (US)
peterboroughN
plymouth N (US)
saginaw Y
sarnia N
soo N
sudbury N
windsor Y

Old
11-12-2012, 11:09 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Monahan, Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart - Ouellet
Ceci, Dumba

Subban
Binnington

- Binnington is having a great season, goaltending looks much better than previous years

Love it and love the reasonings, although i really think Murphy will be there over Reinhart. Also after watching todays game Wilson with Jenner and Hudon would be living hell for opponents, and this is coming from someone who was totally against having Wilson even invited a month ago.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
Love it and love the reasonings, although i really think Murphy will be there over Reinhart. Also after watching todays game Wilson with Jenner and Hudon would be living hell for opponents, and this is coming from someone who was totally against having Wilson even invited a month ago.
I can't remember, but I think Hudon Danault and Jenner were a line in the CANRUS... They're all locks to make the team imo and will play 3rd line... For Wilson to make the team he'll need to beat out two draft eligibles in Drouin and Monahan...

Where's di Giuseppe in all of this? IS he good enough?

Old
11-13-2012, 03:02 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
I can't remember, but I think Hudon Danault and Jenner were a line in the CANRUS... They're all locks to make the team imo and will play 3rd line... For Wilson to make the team he'll need to beat out two draft eligibles in Drouin and Monahan...

meh. wilson can be extra forward (13).

Old
11-13-2012, 03:02 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Monahan, Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart - Ouellet
Ceci, Dumba

Subban
Binnington

not sure why everbody seems to love puempel. he is way too soft and not very good. get monahan a spot instead.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:09 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Perhaps.. we'll see! But since you seem to be a London Knights fan... I'm a little skeptical. Has Griffith ever at any time been involved with any edition of Team Canada, either at an IIHF U18 or an Ivan Hlinka tournament? I haven't seen a whole lot of him.. but I looked last year as I had him on my list as a contender for an invitation to December camp.. but was never impressed with his skating, I'll admit only 4 or 5 games watched.. so, I'll watch again tonight to see how he does.
I dont think he's ever had any kind of involvement with Hockey Canada. Btw I by no means think that he's a good skater, he is actually fairly below average, but he is no worse than Rattie and Hudon, who most people consider strong candidates to make the team. That's all I was stating.

I actually doubt Griffith makes the team, for reasons which I previously stated (too one-dimensional to be a bottom six player, not enough spots in the top six)

Old
11-13-2012, 03:11 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post

Di Giuseppe wasn't good or terrible in the CANRUS series, he'll get an invite to camp but won't make the team. Strong candidate for the 2014 team however.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:11 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I actually doubt Griffith makes the team, for reasons which I previously stated (too one-dimensional to be a bottom six player, not enough spots in the top six)

Agreed 100%. Same can be said about ST.Croix.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:22 AM
Mr Writer

just taking a look at the Dub's rosters for both games. I like those line-ups much better than OHL. So far I'm 1 for 1 in handicapping this series. I thought the Russians would take both in the Q and go 1 and 1 in Ontario. Initially, I thought the Russians would split out west, but considering they haven't been all that impressive, I'll give both games to the Dub. It will be close though.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Di Giuseppe wasn't good or terrible in the CANRUS series, he'll get an invite to camp but won't make the team. Strong candidate for the 2014 team however.
Not sure, but isn't he a 93 born player which will make him ineligible next year?

Old
11-13-2012, 04:17 AM
whatsupcomrade*

hope you're right. The russians tend to be pretty classless on those occasions when they win, so a couple losses is the least they deserve. Still, they will be better at the wjhcs; I don't think they're playing possum or throwing any games, but they'll have a few wrinkles up their sleeves. If hockey canada had any brains - don't count on it - we'd have a few wrinkles up our sleeves, too

Old
11-13-2012, 04:19 AM
whatsupcomrade*

Quote:
just taking a look at the Dub's rosters for both games. I like those line-ups much better than OHL. So far I'm 1 for 1 in handicapping this series. I thought the Russians would take both in the Q and go 1 and 1 in Ontario. Initially, I thought the Russians would split out west, but considering they haven't been all that impressive, I'll give both games to the Dub. It will be close though.
I hope you're right

Old
11-13-2012, 04:37 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Not sure, but isn't he a 93 born player which will make him ineligible next year?
You're right, didnt even consider that. Oh well, looks like no WJC for Phil

Old
11-13-2012, 11:16 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Hudon - Jenner - Danault
Monahan, Lessio

Murray - Hamilton
Rielly - Harrington
Reinhart - Ouellet
Ceci, Dumba

Subban
Binnington

I think Catenacci will be the third center over Strome because his game is more well rounded. Notice it was Catenacci who was taking all of the key faceoffs last night and was on the ice for all of the crucial time at the end of the game. Nd You need different types of players, and Cat would fill that spot well.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Valarukar

How likely do you think it is for Pouliot to make the team?

Old
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Extremely unlikely. Canada's got some great O-dmen already, many who are older. Next year will be his time.

Closed Thread