HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Jan Hejda

Old
11-11-2012, 08:09 AM
NHLFreak

vCash: 500
Jan Hejda

If the season ever gets rolling what role(and with all the defence depth) do you see Jan playing for the Avs this year?

Would you still consider him a 20min+ player?

And what did you think of him overall in his only season with Avs so far?

Thanks
NF.

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
S3rkie

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFreak View Post
If the season ever gets rolling what role(and with all the defence depth) do you see Jan playing for the Avs this year?

Would you still consider him a 20min+ player?

And what did you think of him overall in his only season with Avs so far?
You won't find much love on these boards for Hejda, but imho he was a pretty solid addition for the avs last year, sure he had some really bad games but who didn't. I think his icetime this year or next year w/e we see hockey again depends on Wilson and if he can get back to form over from that head injury. I doubt Hejda will be one of the dmen we shop around, mainly do to his contract.

S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Wouldn't give him top-4 minutes much longer.
He's quite slow and getting up there in age.
His contract is a year too long, but we can handle it.
Last year he was okay. Everyone had their share of bad games, but overall he was quite solid in his own end and produced some goals.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I actually like Hejda's game. He does a lot of the dirty work that's not glitzy or glamorous. Most fans don't notice it and are down on him, but at crucial defensive situations last year it was guys like Hejda that were on the ice.

He's a defensive player on a team that in general is mediocre defensively, so he's going to get some blame from most fans I guess. Maybe if they can improve to a top 10 D he will gain some more recognition. Outside of a few guys (Lando, O'Reilly, etc) we have some big duds on defense as far as forwards go, so maybe some improvement there will help Hejda's game.

I think he's a pretty valuable guy that we cannot trade at all. I think you'll see him actually improve this year. He usually plays with Stastny, and Stastny's defense hasn't been it's usual self in the past year or two...but with impending FA and contract negotiations coming up you should see him step it up a notch...that will benefit guys like Hejda or EJ.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
I like him. I'd like to see him be able to play with Johnson since I think he would compliment him well, though that wsn't the case when they tried it last season. Hopefully with the coaching changes we've had the defense of the whole team should improve, and Hejda would be a big part of that.

Ed - One thing I would say against him, I wish he'd use his size more. If he played with a mean streak he'd be very good.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013

Last edited by Ceremony: 11-11-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
-yes

-no

-Hejda (and ROB) works best as a 4-5-6 dman because he cannot handle impact NHL forwards.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 12:44 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
He is fine second pairing defenseman IMO. Problem is that O'Byrne is also a second pairing defenseman, so they end up playing together. Which is worse than watching a Nicholas Cage movie.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:36 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
He is our 2nd best defenseman and he is still a solid defensive defenseman. Ideally he should be a #4 defender but obviously our defense sucks so he is our #2.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
He is fine second pairing defenseman IMO. Problem is that O'Byrne is also a second pairing defenseman, so they end up playing together. Which is worse than watching a Nicholas Cage movie.
That was uncalled for. There's nothing quite that bad...

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
That was uncalled for. There's nothing quite that bad...

Awesome!

We're on a Jan Hejda thread for crying out loud.

I hope his surgery was successful.
I hope it made him more tentative during last season.
Hopefully that might explain that he was playing softer than he could've.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:55 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Aslong as he doesn't act like sandis ozolinsh carrying the puck im fine

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Drizzt1

Never seen a player as big has him go as quickly into the fetal position when an opposition players brushed past them before.

Atrocious contract, I mean really?

Lucky to make the top 6 based on last years effort for a 3.25 million dollar per season player. The last time a contract looked this bad, it had Scott Hannan attached to it.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Foppa2118

There's usually a general theme with how people view defensive defenseman. It's not surprising the same people who think Hejda is awful thought Hannan was terrible, and slow, and what not.

Hejda had a tough start last year, but really settled in when paired with O'Byrne, and they were arguably the Avs best combo all year, and most relied upon defensively. He's not a speed demon, but he's not a pilon either. No defenseman is perfect in the new NHL defensively.

He's overpaid by about $1M, and should be offered in trade if they are looking to bring in a top pairing D, but if not he should be kept. He and O'Byrne really solidify the D and take pressure off guys like O'Brien and Wilson.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Never seen a player as big has him go as quickly into the fetal position when an opposition players brushed past them before.

Atrocious contract, I mean really?

Lucky to make the top 6 based on last years effort for a 3.25 million dollar per season player. The last time a contract looked this bad, it had Scott Hannan attached to it.
In what world is 3.25 an atrocious contract?

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
There's usually a general theme with how people view defensive defenseman. It's not surprising the same people who think Hejda is awful thought Hannan was terrible, and slow, and what not.
To be fair, I'm much less a Hejda fan as I was a Hannan fan. Hejda just doesn't have that same knack for always being in position that Hannan had. Hejda is however more physical and has thrown a few nice hipchecks which give me hope for his future with the team.

I hope down the line we can use him in the capacity he should be used in, to clean up Elliott or Barrie's mess while they adapt in the NHL. When that happens I think he will look a lot better as he won't be playing a role that is outside of his skillset, as a top pairing defender role is for him which Sacco seemed to entrust him with for stretches of time.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Drizzt1

Well dude, it's just my opinion. He along with O'Byrne were often put out on the Powerplay, so consider this when you look at his plus /minus number, in minus 17.

He was often not playing against the opposition top lines (that came down to Johnson, along with sometimes Wilson / Hunwick or other).

I often saw opposition forwards & defensemen skate right around him.

In fact, I remember seeing him getting owned by Bieksa, which irked me at the time, because I dislike the Canucks with a passion.

I also remember reading a number of articles where he, himself was not happy with his own play, so why can't I say my opinion about him?

BUT, I appreciate he logged a team high 1,675 minutes of ice time. Remember though, Hejda had +3 games, four times this season. That means for the other 77 games, he was minus 29.

Stats aside though, I saw what I saw. A player who I believe could use their body more. The man is 6 foot, 4 inches and 237 pounds for goodness sakes. Show me. SHOW MEEEE THE MONEY.

Don't take my word for it though: Here is some prose written by Adrian Dater and Mike Chambers of The Denver Post about him:

+ Bottom line: Hejda is Colorado’s most extended player, signed through 2014-15 — $3.25 million X three. That and his combined minus-37 rating over the past three seasons (granted, each with a non-playoff team) means he’s probably not going anywhere. His trade value is poor. So let’s hope the affable Hejda becomes the player Colorado management and fans envisioned.

+ Suffice to say, Hejda is looking to have a better second year in Colorado. And management and fans have reason to expect more from the Czech Republic native, who turns 34 on June 18. Hejda (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) was expected to be a tough, physical force on the back end, but he doesn’t play intimidating hockey (just 24 PIM in 81 games) and he only delivered 142 hits (fourth on the team) and 134 blocked shots (second on the team). Given his big salary and opportunity, those numbers are disappointing.

+ But you always have to go back to plus-minus to “review” players like Hejda, because that’s really all he cares about. Don’t believe your little league anonymous blogger — plus-minus is hockey’s best overall statistic, because it’s how hockey players judge themselves. Especially role players, like own-zone defensemen and fourth-line forwards. And Hejda surely hates the fact he was minus-17 — a negative five even-strength goals behind the next worst, Milan Hejduk (minus-12).

Ivan13, I, along with I'm sure Jan himself, his coaches, his management & others hopes he has a much better year when and if we get under way again. Don't know how that is face palm worthy.

Someone said above he's not a pylon. I don't know guys, from what I saw, he the epitomy of one.

EDIT: And Hannan was a very, very good shut down D-man, who had a gritty edge to him. Wish we never traded him away all things considered today. That original contract of his though ! Wow.

Last edited by TP: 11-14-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: mod
Old
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

"plus-minus is hockey’s best overall statistic, because it’s how hockey players judge themselves" is so wrong I don't know where to begin with it. I don't know which one of Dater or Chambers said that but... eesh. Brutal.

I like the idea of pairing Hejda with Barrie or Elliott though if an EJ pairing doesn't work. Could be good for them.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
"plus-minus is hockeyís best overall statistic, because itís how hockey players judge themselves" is so wrong I don't know where to begin with it. I don't know which one of Dater or Chambers said that but... eesh. Brutal.

I like the idea of pairing Hejda with Barrie or Elliott though if an EJ pairing doesn't work. Could be good for them.
I agree. With two stay at home type D-men paired, I have always thought that tendancies would lean toward skating on your heels. Mixing it up would be good.

Old
11-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Well dude, it's just my opinion. He along with O'Byrne were often put out on the Powerplay, so consider this when you look at his plus /minus number, in minus 17.

He was often not playing against the opposition top lines (that came down to Johnson, along with sometimes Wilson / Hunwick or other).

I often saw opposition forwards & defensemen skate right around him.

In fact, I remember seeing him getting owned by Bieksa, which irked me at the time, because I dislike the Canucks with a passion.

I also remember reading a number of articles where he, himself was not happy with his own play, so why can't I say my opinion about him?

BUT, I appreciate he logged a team high 1,675 minutes of ice time. Remember though, Hejda had +3 games, four times this season. That means for the other 77 games, he was minus 29.

Stats aside though, I saw what I saw. A player who I believe could use their body more. The man is 6 foot, 4 inches and 237 pounds for goodness sakes. Show me. SHOW MEEEE THE MONEY.

Don't take my word for it though: Here is some prose written by Adrian Dater and Mike Chambers of The Denver Post about him:

+ Bottom line: Hejda is Colorado’s most extended player, signed through 2014-15 — $3.25 million X three. That and his combined minus-37 rating over the past three seasons (granted, each with a non-playoff team) means he’s probably not going anywhere. His trade value is poor. So let’s hope the affable Hejda becomes the player Colorado management and fans envisioned.

+ Suffice to say, Hejda is looking to have a better second year in Colorado. And management and fans have reason to expect more from the Czech Republic native, who turns 34 on June 18. Hejda (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) was expected to be a tough, physical force on the back end, but he doesn’t play intimidating hockey (just 24 PIM in 81 games) and he only delivered 142 hits (fourth on the team) and 134 blocked shots (second on the team). Given his big salary and opportunity, those numbers are disappointing.

+ But you always have to go back to plus-minus to “review” players like Hejda, because that’s really all he cares about. Don’t believe your little league anonymous blogger — plus-minus is hockey’s best overall statistic, because it’s how hockey players judge themselves. Especially role players, like own-zone defensemen and fourth-line forwards. And Hejda surely hates the fact he was minus-17 — a negative five even-strength goals behind the next worst, Milan Hejduk (minus-12).

Ivan13, I, along with I'm sure Jan himself, his coaches, his management & others hopes he has a much better year when and if we get under way again. Don't know how that is face palm worthy.

Someone said above he's not a pylon. I don't know guys, from what I saw, he the epitomy of one.

EDIT: And Hannan was a very, very good shut down D-man, who had a gritty edge to him. Wish we never traded him away all things considered today. That original contract of his though ! Wow.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

With Hejda's TOTAL PP icetime of 6:10 for 81 games played...(averages out to 4 seconds per game) and with O'Byrne's TOTAL PP icetime of 2:07 of PP time in 74 games played...(averages out to 1 second per game) [both lowest on the team] how on earth can you come out and make a statement like this, and expect anyone to take your opinion seriously??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus-minus

The plus–minus statistic is not affected by power play goals

It's the 3rd sentence in the wiki and generally, considered common hockey knowledge.

Last edited by TP: 11-14-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: mod
Old
11-13-2012, 02:47 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
in fairness, Hannan was slow, but because his greatest skill was forcing players to a low-percentage angle he didn't need to be fast. Hejda plays a similar style, but is less adept at it; Hannan could cover impact forwards while Hejda seems to have a fifty-fifty chance each game of totally blowing his cover. ROB is slightly better, mostly because he has better reach, and together they constitute a shutdown unit that is ok but nowhere near optimal. If Colorado continues to rely on Hejda and ROB to take the toughest minutes, they'll again have to look for superb goaltending in order to have a shot at the playoffs.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
I stopped reading after that sentence...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

With Hejda's TOTAL PP icetime of 6:10 for 81 games played...(averages out to 4 seconds per game) and with O'Byrne's TOTAL PP icetime of 2:07 of PP time in 74 games played...(averages out to 1 second per game) [both lowest on the team] how on earth can you come out and make a statement like this, and expect anyone to take your opinion seriously??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus-minus

The plusĖminus statistic is not affected by power play goals

It's the 3rd sentence in the wiki and generally, considered common hockey knowledge.
Yes, and you completely missed the point, and that was exactly what I was trying to make before you incorrectly tried to belittle me. I was saying that his minus 17 was IRRESPECTIVE of the Powerplay. I didn't continue to explain the rule, because it is common knowledge.

Now I won't expect an apology, because you probably wouldn't give one.

It's not my problem you mis-took what I was writing.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

Quote:
Yes, and you completely missed the point, and that was exactly what I was trying to make before you incorrectly tried to belittle me. I was saying that his minus 17 was IRRESPECTIVE of the Powerplay. I didn't continue to explain the rule, because it is common knowledge.

You said O'Byrne and Hejda were often deployed on the powerplay.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

Well you aren't saying that they're put out on the powerplay (it's like saying Duchene plays the penalty kill a lot, it's semantically over-complicated, I think), so yes.

Also: You get a plus if you're on the ice for a shorthanded goal for your team

Old
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:

So YOU made some comments that were poorly worded (being very generous here) and I was supposed to GUESS that you meant the opposite?? And apparently it's not YOUR problem that I'm not a mind reader and that I 'mistook' your writing?

Yeah, you're going to be waiting a VERY long time for an apology. LOL. YOU make mistakes and I'm supposed to apologize. Awesome!! You sound like my pregnant wife!

Oh and by-the-by, your next statement is ALSO inaccurate. If you talk to anyone who loves to READ about hockey (instead of actually watching the games) and follow "advanced statistics" they'll tell you that Hejda actually played against the tougher competition:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Not that I take much stock in those silly stats, I prefer to watch the games and form and opinion based on what I see. However, to say that Hejda didn't face the opponent's toughest competition is largely inaccurate.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Not that I take much stock in those silly stats, I prefer to watch the games and form and opinion based on what I see. However, to say that Hejda didn't face the opponent's toughest competition is largely inaccurate.
I always wonder when I see stats like that, because on one hand it's pretty empirical and easy to accept. But on the other hand, I really can't remember Hejda playing the top end forwards game in and game out. What I saw from Lefevbre/Sacco was more of a loose style that put Hejda/ROB out in key situations but not all major defensive situations and EJ/Whomever out during key situations but not all major defensive situations.

Not even sure if this point really matters, but figured I'd add to the discussion.

Keep in mind, Drizzt is coming from the Official Avs Board where people over there were incessantly aggressive and rude, would be nice if we could avoid that (even if he brings it out in you, I've done it before too).

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote