HFBoards

HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Sharpening Stones

11-11-2012, 07:42 PM
windycity

: Sep 2003
: Well duh
: 4,281
: 500
Skate Sharpening Stones

Apologies if already a thread on this but does anyone use skate sharpeners between having their skates sharpened professionally? I've heard that they can prolong the time needed to go between pro sharpenings but I have zero experience with them. If they are good, any recommended brands/models?

Thanks!

11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
ean

: Nov 2007
: 1,803
Do you mean a hone? Yes they are used by a lot of people. They wont exactly sharpen your skates per se, but can help remove certain burs or nicks.

11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
windycity

: Sep 2003
: Well duh
: 4,281
:
Do you mean a hone? Yes they are used by a lot of people. They wont exactly sharpen your skates per se, but can help remove certain burs or nicks.
Yup that's what I mean. Is it worth getting one?

11-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

: Jul 2007
: St Paul, MN
: 25,251
I have two of these, and recommend them highly: Miraclestone

A lot of the cheap stones at the hockey shops are rocks with sandpaper glued on them. They will scratch the hell out of your skates. The Miraclestone is a true whet stone which removes the burrs. And they are cheap.

I don't like sharp skates so I usually only get them sharpened every 2-3 months. I will use the Miraclestone maybe once a month if that. I'm lazy.

11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
ean

: Nov 2007
: 1,803
:
Yup that's what I mean. Is it worth getting one?
They are not bad to have around and cost less than 10$ usually, so I'd say they're worth it. Usually someone in the locker room has one, though.

They also make something called a "sweet stick", you may check those out.

11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
JR97

: May 2012
: 131
I've got a sweet stick. It doesn't sharpen per se. What it does is sort of fold in the edges. It's saved my butt a few times. Just last week I must have stepped on something because I had no inside edge at all on one of my skates. A couple of swipes with the sweet stick between periods gave me an edge back. A buddy of mine hasn't had his sharpened in probably 9 months and just keeps using my sweet stick. He's not exactly the most deft of skaters so it's all the same to him, I guess.