HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
11-10-2012, 02:19 AM
MonsterSurge

vCash: 500
Portland is an entertaining team to watch. I haven't watched them this season, but they were great to watch last year. Sven Bartschi was worth the $8 alone!

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Was at the Winterhawks/Giants game tonight. Couple things I noticed about Pouliot was his puck carrying ability. He starts in his own end and can lug the puck up the ice effortlessly. Once he hits the other blue line he makes a move or two then dishes it off to a winger busting in. His passes for most of the night where tape to tape and his lateral movement was very good.

He plays first pairing, first PP and from what I saw usually first PK. For most of the PP's he is the guy that brings it from the d-zone into the o-zone. Im pretty sure he ended the night in the "minus" but that was due to terrible goaltending from both sides (more so the hawks).

The guy just doesnt get rattled. Its almost as if he knows most of the forecheckers cant check him. He also wasnt afraid to mix it up after a number of whistles and is more agressive/chippy than his pre-draft profile stated. He tried to pick a fight after a couple quick goals by the giants but the other player wasnt willing.

All in all I was definitely pleased. If he can put on a bit more muscle and strength, he will have no problems taking the next step and being in the NHL in the near future.

Another player (although i dont know if it will translate to the NHL) that was great tonight was Ty Rattie. Fast, great at creating chances and extremely shifty. Doesnt appear to be overly big and got outmuscled by bigger d-men occasionally, but an entertaining player to watch.
I never understood that. He needs to get stronger but his compete level is high.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I never understood that. He needs to get stronger but his compete level is high.
That's why people need to watch players before they get so indignant that their team didn't take the guy some lame prospect guide said they should have.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:16 AM
mpp9

The fact the kid stated he's trying to model his game after Drew Doughty has me excited. We'll see where he's at in a few years.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Was at the Winterhawks/Giants game tonight. Couple things I noticed about Pouliot was his puck carrying ability. He starts in his own end and can lug the puck up the ice effortlessly. Once he hits the other blue line he makes a move or two then dishes it off to a winger busting in. His passes for most of the night where tape to tape and his lateral movement was very good.

He plays first pairing, first PP and from what I saw usually first PK. For most of the PP's he is the guy that brings it from the d-zone into the o-zone. Im pretty sure he ended the night in the "minus" but that was due to terrible goaltending from both sides (more so the hawks).

The guy just doesnt get rattled. Its almost as if he knows most of the forecheckers cant check him. He also wasnt afraid to mix it up after a number of whistles and is more agressive/chippy than his pre-draft profile stated. He tried to pick a fight after a couple quick goals by the giants but the other player wasnt willing.

All in all I was definitely pleased. If he can put on a bit more muscle and strength, he will have no problems taking the next step and being in the NHL in the near future.

Another player (although i dont know if it will translate to the NHL) that was great tonight was Ty Rattie. Fast, great at creating chances and extremely shifty. Doesnt appear to be overly big and got outmuscled by bigger d-men occasionally, but an entertaining player to watch.
Sounds a lot like Letang.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Jacob

It does, and that's all very encouraging to hear.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Te one good thing about Pouliot is that he and Morrow had very good chemistry together. It would be really nice if we could pair them together i nthe big leagues in a few years. That would be one really good skating D pairing.

The only thing I hate about our rich depth of young dmen is that none of them are right-handed (other than Bortuzo, depending on where you categorize him of course). They're all lefthanded.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:

Based on yesterday's game, I'm curious to hear about how would you compare him to Seth Jone's game and where they are in their development (in comparison)?

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It does, and that's all very encouraging to hear.
At this point, it's hard to say how good he'll be. I just like what he brings.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Based on yesterday's game, I'm curious to hear about how would you compare him to Seth Jone's game and where they are in their development (in comparison)?
My expectations of jones going into the game were quite high. The same would be said for DP. Anytime you are a projected 1 or 2 overall that's a lot of hype. While I think jones had a decent game it's more his size and his potential for a big man I think scouts like.

He is a decent skater and can flick a lot of defenders off due to his size. He is listed at 6'3 or 4 but looks much larger tbh. The one thing that bothered me about him was every time he was on the ice and wants the puck from a teammate he would keep smacking his stick on the ice. Not really a big fan of that move.

Tough to compare him to DP but in terms if skating, composure and puck distribution, pouliot wins. Jones has more of a alex edler or less mean chara type game. When he puts on weight to match his height he will be a strong defender capable at both ends of the ice

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Is it just me, or does Pouliot get an inordinately low amount of points in Portland's blowouts? /boxscorewatcher

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:26 AM
wej20

He's sharing the love, they might have eased off his ice time once they were 5-1 up.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Mr. T

Less Vorobev, every Portland skater appeared on the score sheet last night. It's nice to see the points spread amongst the team as opposed to the top two lines creating almost all of the scoring. This is a well balanced offense.

That's 11 wins in a row and a goal differential of +49. Not bad.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 01:50 PM
baskin

Do you think its safe to say that Shero and the Penguins didnt feel Pouliot would be available at 22? Also I feel that Shero thought he had a more then realistic shot at signing Parise to fill in the hole at forward? I think Pouliot has a skill set that everyteam wants and needs in todays NHL. Outside of Morgan Reilly he was the most gifted offensive defensemen in that draft that was seriously defense heavy. Im not sure outside of Yakupov and Galchenyuk any of the other forward prospects are that spectacular and thats why so many defensemen went early and the forwards all slipped. If it was the 2013 draft that seems so full of quality prospects I might be upset by Sheros move by taking Pouliot with the 8 pick but 2012 looks to be a rather weak draft year and I think they took a quality player

baskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskin View Post
Do you think its safe to say that Shero and the Penguins didnt feel Pouliot would be available at 22? Also I feel that Shero thought he had a more then realistic shot at signing Parise to fill in the hole at forward? I think Pouliot has a skill set that everyteam wants and needs in todays NHL. Outside of Morgan Reilly he was the most gifted offensive defensemen in that draft that was seriously defense heavy. Im not sure outside of Yakupov and Galchenyuk any of the other forward prospects are that spectacular and thats why so many defensemen went early and the forwards all slipped. If it was the 2013 draft that seems so full of quality prospects I might be upset by Sheros move by taking Pouliot with the 8 pick but 2012 looks to be a rather weak draft year and I think they took a quality player
Thats a good point but still flawed. Not going BPA in the first round is downright stupid IMO.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the Pens are OK with going BDA because they think Crosby and Malkin can carry the offensive load.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
SEALBound

I caught a KHL game a couple nights ago. Grigorenko was a ****ing beast in it. Very impressive. With that...I still hold that Puliot was a mistake given our bleak offensive prospect pool and our current D plethora.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
JTG

I personally think the Pens are playing to the "player economics" of the league. Currently offensive defensemen and top 6 scoring centers are the most valuable commodities in the league. I think the Pens have shown, and are showing, the ability to develop offensive defensemen. No problem in drafting them, developing them, and then having a very valuable asset on our hands. For instance, a good, but not great, offensive defenseman fetched us a guy who was able to score 40 goals and another offensive defenseman.

We have two guys who can score 50 or more, and a winger who can score 40. I don't think our offensive situation is as bad as some think.

Last edited by JTG: 11-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:01 PM
baskin

Crosby and Malkin are going to prevent us from taking a centre for quite sometime. Especially one that cant be converted to the wing. Three offensive centers will never work in todays NHL because you can never aquire enough skilled wingers to play with them. I dont see Grigorenko playing a PK\penalty killing role that Staal did. As for Forsberg and Teravanian there is obviously some major flaw for them to be contiunously passed over for D-men. You can use your BPA and have those forwards ranked high in it but obviously the majority of the NHL GMs decided that this was a draft full of defensive prospects. See NYI, TOR, ANA etc.

baskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:08 PM
JTG

And I will also say, a large part of drafting that gets passed over by fans is the organization's belief that they can fully develop a player. That counts more than almost anything. I remember when this team drafted Goligoski and people freaked out. They were comfortable in developing him, and because of that...he developed.

I think the same goes for Pouliot. He's an offensive defenseman and they feel they have the processes in place to help him reach his potential. He's also playing on a team they are quite accustomed to, and they were able to get a great read on him because I'm sure a lot of Pens brass watched Portland games this year.

I often think this gets overlooked. It'd be great to draft a guy like Grigorenko, or some other flashy European, but if the organization doesn't have confidence in developing him, it'd be more of a wasted pick than them taking a guy with less potential, but that player actually reaching his potential.

I also like when someone says, if Pouliot's last name was Pouliotov, people would be loving it. As the years pass and I read more public opinion here, I believe that to be more and more true.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
SEALBound

Yes but on all of those teams, defense is a need. We have the prospect in the d pool...1 in the o pool. We need a winger prospect outside of ET. We could have had one but chose to bolster our already healthy D pool.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Yes but on all of those teams, defense is a need. We have the prospect in the d pool...1 in the o pool. We need a winger prospect outside of ET. We could have had one but chose to bolster our already healthy D pool.
Bennett, Kuhnhackl, Tangradi, Hanowski, Uher, Zloban, and Marcantuoni are all guys that might become top 6 wingers.

We really only need 3 of those guys to become serviceable in the top 6, and I think 3 of them may.

Also have to take into consideration that with the defensive pool we have, we have the assets to go out and buy a winger if we have to.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

I recall the guys on TSN saying Pouliot, when he was drafted, was still a ways away. So I don't think people should be expecting him to knock peoples socks off and compete for a spot.

Regarding prospects in general...
This organization doesn't have to rush players. It just has to adequately develop guys to support the roster. To me, the latter is being accomplished.

Last edited by Saving Greiss: 11-12-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old
11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Dangles78

Keep calm everyone. The Pens had an amazing 2012 draft and the 2013 draft is the deepest it's been in awhile. I'm confident that GMRS will find a nice forward prospect to satisfy a lot of you

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Then Ray went and took Maatta after adding Dumoulin and DP. With their original pick, Aberg, Frk, Samulesson and Collberg were still all on the board.

What's that tell you? It's an org philosophy. Shero trained under Polie, so this shouldn't be a surprise.

I harped on this all last season, but I've accepted this is what Shero believes is best. So why dwell on it? We can't change who he picked, but we can enjoy the fact he has built a sick blueline farm and has the ammo to pull off a big trade for an NHL ready winger.

And I like Grigs a lot, but he has to do this agt men. Talbot had over 200 points his last two seasons in the Q and he became a 4th line plugger. It's a great league, but it isn't like the O, which plays more of an NHL type game.

I've seen tons of promising players like Grigs wilter when NHLers start pounding on them. So I suggest we all wait this out and also keep in mind that both players could have successful NHL careers.

This isn't an either or scenario.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 11-12-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Jacob

Grigorenko plays in the QMJHL doe

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote