HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

Old
11-12-2012, 06:03 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Will there be rule changes again this time around?

After the last lockout, several rules were modified to enable more goal scoring, I was wondering if there were words about another series of rule changes this time. If so, what do you think those changes could/should be?

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:53 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
If it were up to me I would remove the puck over the glass penalty and get rid of the trapezoid. I imagine the rules they implement will be more safety regulations around contact to the head, and possibly restrictions on equipment size

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:12 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

I don't think they'll change anything this time around, but if I could, this is what I would change:

-no more trapezoid
-instigator rule is just a 2 minute minor (no misconduct)
-The Brian Boyle Rule (3rd man in to a one-sided altercation is just a misconduct)
-Goaltenders who willingly move outside of the crease to handle the puck are fair game

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:16 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
-bigger nets
-smaller pads
-add rovers back into the game
-make it 4 quarters instead of 3 periods
-ban fighting
-ban hitting
-add a shot clock
-add injury time at the end of quarters
-ban composite sticks
-ban bulky shoulder/elbow pads
-make a rule about having your skates only sharp to a certain point, any sharper is dangerous
-no touch icing

did I miss anything?
Can't we just come back and play?

11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Pengo

Add a d-man to shootouts.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
engy

vCash: 344
Coach's challenge.
Some form of 3 on 3 OT.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:31 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
-bigger nets
-smaller pads
-add rovers back into the game
-make it 4 quarters instead of 3 periods
-ban fighting
-ban hitting
-add a shot clock
-add injury time at the end of quarters
-ban composite sticks
-ban bulky shoulder/elbow pads
-make a rule about having your skates only sharp to a certain point, any sharper is dangerous
-no touch icing

did I miss anything?
Can't we just come back and play?

Old
11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
I don't think they'll change anything this time around, but if I could, this is what I would change:

-no more trapezoid
-instigator rule is just a 2 minute minor (no misconduct)
-The Brian Boyle Rule (3rd man in to a one-sided altercation is just a misconduct)
-Goaltenders who willingly move outside of the crease to handle the puck are fair game
im always on the fence for this one, i get the argument that if a goalie goes all the way to his blue line for example he should be willing to risk getting hit, but at the same time goalie equipment isnt really made to get hit... plus if checking goalies were allowed i cant help but think that some players will try to injure goalies.....

Old
11-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Stats01

Get rid of that stupid delay of game penalty for putting the puck over the glass, and get rid of the trapezoid.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
deckercky

Goalies can't be fair game because they aren't protected from that kind of contact.

I don't think there'll be significant rules changes. Maybe the adjusted icing rule, but unlike last time, there's very little discussion about the state of the game during the lockout.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:49 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

i think they should get rid of the kicking motion goal rule, kicking the puck for a pass counts as an assist so i think players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. plus it would get rid of countless goal reviews and so remove the useless breaks

Old
11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

New penalty for goaltending.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:06 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

You want to see more goals? Only allow the puck carrier to be the first to cross his team's own blueline when going on the attack. This would hem a team in their own zone much longer. The opposing team wouldn't have to worry much about defense while in the offensive zone since the defending team will not easily be able to exit their own zone.

When the defending team is eventually able to get out of their own end, there should be some ultra-fast rushes on what will likely be only two defenders -- perhaps only one. And this rule would also likely result in several very long break-aways per game.

11-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
If it were up to me I would remove the puck over the glass penalty and get rid of the trapezoid. I imagine the rules they implement will be more safety regulations around contact to the head, and possibly restrictions on equipment size
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Get rid of that stupid delay of game penalty for putting the puck over the glass, and get rid of the trapezoid.
You guys must not have watched many games with Chris Chelios.
The rule was created because of this guy. He would shoot the puck over the ice stopping play whenever he felt his team was getting tired. Usually while on a PK.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
thats great! Just tired of the lockout/ people always wanting to change the game. If change comes, good. But they don't need to force anything.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
You want to see more goals? Only allow the puck carrier to be the first to cross his team's own blueline when going on the attack. This would hem a team in their own zone much longer. The opposing team wouldn't have to worry much about defense while in the offensive zone since the defending team will not easily be able to exit their own zone.

When the defending team is eventually able to get out of their own end, there should be some ultra-fast rushes on what will likely be only two defenders -- perhaps only one. And this rule would also likely result in several very long break-aways per game.
It would also result in twice as many offsides.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
i think they should get rid of the kicking motion goal rule, kicking the puck for a pass counts as an assist so i think players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. plus it would get rid of countless goal reviews and so remove the useless breaks
And increase the potential of having a player get cut from the blade of a skate?

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
And increase the potential of having a player get cut from the blade of a skate?
oh yeah hadnt thought of that.. stupid me..

Old
11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Malreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
It should count as long as your skate never comes off the ice. That would eliminate much of the risk.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:36 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
It should count as long as your skate never comes off the ice. That would eliminate much of the risk.
So instead of having replays to see if there was a distinct kicking motion there would be replays to see if all of the skate came off the ice or if part remained on throughout?

No thank you.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Scoring off a skate should be black and white. Either allow it or don't (I err towards don't for safety reasons). There's too much grey area the way it is now. Even with instant replays how many fans are happy the correct call was made? TO still shows no consistency in what they deem a kicking motion. It's pathetic. It seems to me the process should just be simplified. Off a skate=no goal.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:11 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Scoring off a skate should be black and white. Either allow it or don't (I err towards don't for safety reasons). There's too much grey area the way it is now. Even with instant replays how many fans are happy the correct call was made? TO still shows no consistency in what they deem a kicking motion. It's pathetic. It seems to me the process should just be simplified. Off a skate=no goal.
im good with that, getting rid of as many gray areas as possible is a good thing

Old
11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
You guys must not have watched many games with Chris Chelios.
The rule was created because of this guy. He would shoot the puck over the ice stopping play whenever he felt his team was getting tired. Usually while on a PK.
It's effectively the same thing as icing. Make it have the same result as icing. The current penalty is not only a stupid penalty any time of year, it's also one of the only penalties that has no grey area so gets called in the playoffs which gives it a disproportionate effect in deciding playoff games.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

I like the over the glass penalty, I just feel that it should be reviewable. Why aren't more things reviewable, we have that technology now. I don't want to see any more Hamonic penalties, where the puck bounces off the glass but they call it a penalty..in OT.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Flipping the puck over the glass in your end should be treated as an icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
It's effectively the same thing as icing. Make it have the same result as icing. The current penalty is not only a stupid penalty any time of year, it's also one of the only penalties that has no grey area so gets called in the playoffs which gives it a disproportionate effect in deciding playoff games.
You beat me by 2 min, but yes.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote