HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

How Good will Sebastian Collberg be?

View Poll Results: How Good will Sebastian Collberg be?
Franchise Forward 2 2.11%
1st Line Forward 9 9.47%
2nd Line Forward 43 45.26%
3rd Line Forward 11 11.58%
4th Line Forward 0 0%
13th Forward 2 2.11%
Career European League Player 23 24.21%
Career AHLer 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-12-2012, 06:31 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

vCash: 500
How Good will Sebastian Collberg be?

Took this idea from the Simon Despres and Nathan Beaulieu threads.

My question for you, how good will Sebastian Collberg be?

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:06 AM

European foward

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:34 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
A less talented Zherdev.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
sharks9

2nd line forward, putting up 20-25g and 50-55pts

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

How are we supposed to make meaningful predictions of this? Collberg is way too young to really give us a clue, hasn't really made an impact at top levels yet. Just on generic odds, he's probably a career European league player, no? Most such picks are? As a Habs fan, I'd like to think he could make it as a 2nd line NHL player, but really, what is there to base that on so far? Career European leaguer is where I see the biggest odds.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

I hate to be a debbie downer but... 2 assists in 16 gp on a team that has viktor stalberg producing 11pts in 8gp... obviously hes young, but nothing that should be leading to any bold predictions thus far.

Not gonna vote.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:47 AM
bp spec

European player.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:01 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I hate to be a debbie downer but... 2 assists in 16 gp on a team that has viktor stalberg producing 11pts in 8gp... obviously hes young, but nothing that should be leading to any bold predictions thus far.

Not gonna vote.
Can't really look at stats for youngsters in the SEL to get a good grip on how they are playing. The SEL count a GP as long as you are dressed but havnt played a single second and not to mention his team Frölunda are famous for not playing young players very much or at all. So dont even bother to compare stats.

That said I think his upside is 2nd liner at about 50 points, even though I doubt it happens.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:41 AM
gretskidoo

People using his SEL stats are beyond dumb. He got an average of 6 minutes of ice time, and was 13th forward in like half the games.

If he doesn't produce in a top 6 role in Allsvenskan you can start looking at his stats.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
poetryinmotion

2nd liner on a great offensive team, 1st line tweener.

Voted 2nd line.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:47 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
People using his SEL stats are beyond dumb. He got an average of 6 minutes of ice time, and was 13th forward in like half the games.

If he doesn't produce in a top 6 role in Allsvenskan you can start looking at his stats.
I wouldn't say dumb. Stats are a depiction of a players current play. Whether it be a lack of ice time or lack of production production ,stats can be used as a barometer. If hes not getting the minutes then (as i said) how can we be in a position to actually make a prediction of what he may end up becoming? is he mind blowing in those 6 minutes of play? Obviously not or else he'd be getting more ice time..

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
2nd liner on a great offensive team, 1st line tweener.

Voted 2nd line.
Same for me.

Although judging from the results he seems a prototypical boom/bust prospect.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Same for me.

Although judging from the results he seems a prototypical boom/bust prospect.
Yeah obviously I feel that way too but his WJC stats are hard to ignore, well just have to wait and see for him to play vs his peers again to see if he can repeat or no. But I truly feel like he can be an NHL'er.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Ace Dreamer

His upside is that of a 1st line forward, but he will most likely become a 2nd line forward, or a 1st line tweener.

Ace Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Kershaw

Euro or 2nd/3rd liner.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

2nd line forward...but they really need to get him out of Europe right now it can't be good for his development. He was barely getting any icetime playing against men at the beginning, I'm glad they loaned him out to a different european league now but I'd still rather see him in NA.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:56 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

His upside is 1st liner, but he will most likely become a 2nd liner. If he reached his max potenial, I wouldn't be surprised though.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:57 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
2nd line forward...but they really need to get him out of Europe right now it can't be good for his development. He was barely getting any icetime playing against men at the beginning, I'm glad they loaned him out to a different european league now but I'd still rather see him in NA.
Agreed. Next year, he should be with the Bulldogs. He will be the offensive catalyst along with Kristo in Hamilton.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Ashasx

I originally wanted the Flames to pick Collberg at 14, but I can see why he dropped. It's impossible to develop as a prospect when you're getting fewer than 4 minutes of ice time per game.

Still a value pick for the potential, but it also has the potential to be a very frustrating one.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
joe89

Boom or bust type. In the right environment, right development could turn out to be a 30 goal scorer. Sadly, he's not in that environment right now but 2 months into the season right after being drafted doesn't mean everything, if much at all. The word is that the Swedish U20 coach is gonna coach his club team next year and that would present a great opportunity to shine in Europe before going overseas. That's why he does so well with the National teams, he gets the role he likes and he gets trusted to be that guy. Without trust from the coach, you're not much in the SEL. Impossible league to put up numbers in without an adequate role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Agreed. Next year, he should be with the Bulldogs. He will be the offensive catalyst along with Kristo in Hamilton.
I don't think Collberg is the guy to lead an offense, less so in his first NA year. He's the sneaky winger who may disappear for stretches but then scores you a goal when the chance arrives. Should be money on the PP right away on the small ice though.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Wow, there's a real split decision between Career European Leaguer and 2nd line NHL player. It's funny how black/white the fans are about him.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Wow, there's a real split decision between Career European Leaguer and 2nd line NHL player. It's funny how black/white the fans are about him.
I don't think it's like that... it's more "optimistic" vs. "realistic"... probably everyone agrees that his upside is 2nd line NHL player. So some people will answer based on that. But the reality is that few players who have that upside actually make it. So if you want to go by the realistic past precedents (whether they are fair to apply to a specific individual or not), you pick the European leaguer option. I doubt there are more than a few people out of all those that voted who have any real conviction either way. There just isn't anything to base such a conviction on yet.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:50 AM
MikeModano9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
He's kind of got that Omark feel where if he doesn't make the top 6 he isn't making the team. Hence 2nd line or Europe. He's not suited to a bottom 6 role from what I've read/seen.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
is he mind blowing in those 6 minutes of play? Obviously not or else he'd be getting more ice time..
He's playing for a team competing for a title men's league, and in such developing young guys isn't more important than winning games today. He could indeed be mind-blowing compaired to the vast majority of his peers in terms of age and still face that very same issue. A kid of that age not getting huge minutes in SEL is really something that cannot sensibly be used against him.

Quote:
If hes not getting the minutes then (as i said) how can we be in a position to actually make a prediction of what he may end up becoming?
It's what scouts do. They watch players, look at their skills, and make an educated guess as to how a player will develop. It doesn't work with some stats. It takes actual viewings. If those aren't there, we are indeed in no position to make such a prediction, and hence we should not vote and leave it to those that are.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Minister of Offence

If he makes the NHL?

?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote