HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jamie Benn is Shy

Old
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I changed the thread title for accuracy.
haha, awesome!

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Can you imagine what'd be like to be famous? I often speak my mind, sometimes without thinking things through. I'd probably be villified for some the things I say when they, in fact, my words would just be sensationalized through the media. I could definitely empathize with Benn, it'd suck to be in the spotlight everyone waking hour of your day.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:59 AM
malPHONEY

You're really going to demonize him for being shy?

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
There are many players who shy away from the media spotlight, all of them terrible people of course.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I think this post is why he's avoiding playing in Canada, tbqh. An obvious innocuous comment but people are latching on to strings of logic that he's against Canada because he'd prefer to play in Dallas and would prefer to avoid the pressure by not playing for a Canadian team. The fact that people are getting worked up because he didn't phrase that exactly right proves his point.
I didn't say that he's against Canada or that he doesn't want any pressure. In fact the opposite, I said his comments weren't insulting and that people shouldn't get worked up over it. Being shy certainly won't be helped when you're put on the spot to speak with a bunch of reporters with microphones and cameras in your face and it's understandable that he may say something that could be taken the wrong way but his comments would only be taken the wrong way if people choose to ignore the context surrounding his comments.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:09 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Overreact much?

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
TrillMike

So he's a prima donna for not wanting to be the center of attention? Prima donna: "A very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance." That doesn't sound like Benn to me.

Everything I've heard about him (from guys I know that work with the team) is that Benn is the complete opposite. In fact, one guy told me that he goes out of his way to help the equipment guys do their jobs. He helped them take all the gear and suitcases off of the plane last year on a road trip (don't remember which trip, but it was snowing). He even asked GMJN to be sent down to help the Texas Stars 2 years ago after Dallas's season ended.

Him being "shy" or uncomfortable with the media actually makes a lot of sense. The guy flew completely under everyone's radar playing for the Rockets of the WHL. He gets picked 129th overall in 2007 and eventually explodes. This whole attention thing is still pretty new to him. He's not alone though. There are probably hundreds of players who prefer staying away from the media.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:28 PM
BlueDream

Oh my God! He doesn't like the media spotlight and would rather play in Dallas than beloved Canada! That's sooooo disturbing!

Thank the lord you made a thread about this. This is important stuff.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Jopsey

I'd rather cheer for a player who plays the game cause he loves it rather than a player who is obsessed with himself and loves the spotlight

Jopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:32 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
I'm sure that there are a lot of players like Benn that don't like the spotlight, he just happened to be the one to say it.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Uber Coca

I would do the same. Not that I'm shy, but because being famous is quite repellent.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Are we allowed to quote this when Benn is approaching UFA and all the Toronto fans are going on about how he is definitely going to sign with the Leafs?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Are we allowed to quote this when Benn is approaching UFA and all the Toronto fans are going on about how he is definitely going to sign with the Leafs?
Please feel free. As a Leafs fan, it's tiring hearing rumours and fellow fans having too much hope of landing every big star that that makes it on the market

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Top 6 Spaling

He's a prima dona for NOT wanting fame and attention?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:06 PM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Uhh, what's wrong with what he said?

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
I will save this thread to my CP and post it if it ever becomes necessary.

Assuming of course it isn't deleted for being stupid.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I find that players are ******* for not wanting to play in a Canadian market. What's the worst that's gonna happen? You'll have to sign 2-3 times more autographs and get mentioned more on the radio or get recognized more?

At most it'll take an extra hour of hockey related stuff per week, pansies in exchange for being a more prestigious player once you retire which is important for getting another job in hockey if you want another job in hockey.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:10 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Man, if I were famous, I'd be enemy number one for the things I say that are taken out of context.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Why is it that people take Jamie Benn's world that he is shy and etc. However others like to always mention how Phil Kessel is akward in front of the camera or when the attention is on him, like when he was picked last at the 2011 All Star Game Draft. Kessel said he honestly didn't care about things like that and I believe him, however others kept making a big deal about it.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:25 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I see no issue here at all. Some people are introverts, he ended up in a pretty good situation if that's one of his personality traits. Good for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Why is it that people take Jamie Benn's world that he is shy and etc. However others like to always mention how Phil Kessel is akward in front of the camera or when the attention is on him, like when he was picked last at the 2011 All Star Game Draft. Kessel said he honestly didn't care about things like that and I believe him, however others kept making a big deal about it.
I don't want to speak for everyone but Kessel's face is REALLLY punchable.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:26 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I bet thats how every former Toronto Maple Leaf feels once their traded or signed elsewhere

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
1ntrovert*

Brodeur was the same way playing in the 90s and 00s. He has kind of grown out of it but that is why he has always stayed in NJ. Less limelight and attention.

1ntrovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:46 PM
sawchuk1971

i find fault with the THN for that quote...not me....

in the benn article, if someone has access to the 2012-13 thn yearbook, look at the next page where THN highlighted benn's "avoid canada" comment....

from my view, i think the THN is to blame and also the article did not, from i can recall, did not mention his shyness.....by me reading the quote framed my view that modern day hockey players avoid canadian markets because of the excess media coverage, the lack of privacy, higher taxes, the inclement weather, and a lack of nightlife.....

look at the NHLers today, look at the prongers, the heatley's, all of them deliberately wanted to avoid or leave canadian markets because of the reasons i mentioned above...

if the smart people who write for the THN (i think adam proteau wrote the story) had mentioned his shyness, and did not highlight the "avoid canada" quote, this post would never been created....

proteau's article which highlighted benn's comment on avoiding canada because the number of reporters should be blamed...not me.....

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Jesusberg

I really don't think there's much to this at all. It's easy to say how you'd react in a situation when you're outside of it. Try having a bunch of microphones shoved in your face after a game and see how many questions you want to answer.

As mentioned by someone else, being famous would have its off moments. If you've got no filter, you're gonna have a bad time.

Jesusberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Reign Nateo

Benn is maybe not Alpha-male, captain material judging by those comments, but I don't think it's anything more than just his being shy and enjoying his privacy.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote