HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanther

Old
11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
RainingRats

vCash: 500
Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanther

Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanthers if season starts. Understands potential ramifications

Weiss continues to say he is loyal to #FlaPanthers and wants to remain here past 2012-13. But if it's time to move on, so be it...#NHLockout

If the season does start we will have to trade him. We can't risk losing him for nothing. He should be able to get a nice payday and I'm sure he's felt he's been underpaid.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

This is BS ugh... although if theres a season we dont have to trade him until the deadline. Even though we dont look so hot right now, we cant give up on the playoffs at the beginning of the season.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM
RainingRats

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

Stephen Weiss: I want to end my career with the Panthers; There's nothing but good days ahead for this team. Want to stay, be part of it.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

then why not negotiate during the season?

Old
11-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Is it he won't negotiate period, or he won't negotiate during the season?

Also: Weiss for LaRose and a 4th?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
wait, what??

Wants to stay, wants to be apart of it, but won't negotiate if season starts and if it's cancelled he's UFA, so either way we're screwed and he's gone?

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:50 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

This scares me a bit, but I love how dedicated the guy is to staying with this team. He wants to remain a Panther for his entire career. I think Tallon will think long and hard about this if we do have a season to see what the best decision would be for the team overall. It would really suck to lose him though partially because of the lockout situation. He's the face of the franchise as far as I'm concerned for years to come.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:05 PM
RainingRats

Didn't Anaheim want a second line center for Bobby Ryan? Perhaps we could sweeten the deal and land him. It will be tough with him signed for just this season.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Pantherfan12

You have to post the whole entire article, not bits and peices.. Weiss stated that he does not want to renegotiate DURING THE SEASON. He said he wants to focus on playing the game and not having these issues hanging over his head. I expect him to resign with us during offseason though.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
You have to post the whole entire article, not bits and peices.. Weiss stated that he does not want to renegotiate DURING THE SEASON. He said he wants to focus on playing the game and not having these issues hanging over his head. I expect him to resign with us during offseason though.
Thank you for clarifying that..

5 Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Erick

Quote:
If that's the case, he'd re-negotiate during the season. Don't buy into loyalty in business; fans have been fooled by this before many, many times.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Acadmus

I'd take the risk on this one.

Weiss has shown a lot of devotion to the team. He undoubtedly doesn't want the distraction during the season because he wants the Panthers to return to the playoffs (should a season actually happen, which is looking less and less likely each time one of these whirlwind negotiating sessions ends up going nowhere) and doesn't want to take the chance that the process leaves him feeling a little bitter toward the team, or perhaps more that fans question his play at every turn thinking he's playing poorly because he doesn't like the Panthers' offer or some such.

Yeah, we could lose him...but it's a rare case I'd roll the dice on it. Perhaps showing him that kind of loyalty is repaid in kind in the negotiations and he accepts a little less.

11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
I mean, it would blow to lose tho guy.. But, the only logic behind it would be him not wanting to worry about contract during the season. But still, seems dumb..

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:58 PM
harv3317

he's got to be tied up, or else we need to get something for him. we can always resign him when he is a ufa if he's telling the truth. i have to let tallon sort this out as he has a better handle on this, but weiss is making things difficult!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Maybe now it will force someone to recognize we need an actual first line center.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Ha ha ha all the players that signed contracts before the lockout whine "the owners gave us these contracts with no plans of honoring them, they're dishonest" Weiss whines "the owners didn't give me a contract before the lockout so now I am so mentally week I can't negotiate during the season." My god what a bunch of crap. I hope the season is cancelled so I can get my money back and find something more fun to spend my time and money on.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:06 PM
gizmo12688

I'd take the risk and negotiate with him after the season. Either way, I'd harbor no ill will towards him. He stuck with us through the worst of the franchise and I was so happy so finally see him in the playoffs. Hopefully he'll want to stay.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Dr Beinfest

A bit of an overreaction here?

He basically is just saying that there is no need to worry he isn't leaving just because he's a pending UFA.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:59 AM
harv3317

he is also leaving go somewhere else on the table. this gives him all the clout! he needs to sign as soon as possible, or it's a crap shoot!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Pantherfan12

I feel GR and this whole situation is being blown way out of proportion. Weiss isn't going anywhere, unless Tallon doesn't resign him. He didn't seem like he was whining, or unsure of his future. He seemed very sure that he wants to retire a Panther and doesn't want contract talks looming over head. This isn't Bo, where he never wanted to be here but screwed the Panthers by his indecisiveness. Weiss is very loyal to his team, I am sure he's the next Capt. of the Panthers and I see him being resigned. I'm disappointed in GR though. Making an article about this and making it seem like Weiss wanted out..

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

L&G, calm the **** down.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:54 PM
RECsGuy*

Weiss gonna get paaaaaaaaid by his hometown Maple Leafs.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:40 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
I posted GR's tweets. You can post the whole article if you'd like.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
A bit of an overreaction here?

He basically is just saying that there is no need to worry he isn't leaving just because he's a pending UFA.
Almost everyone says this and then a lot go after the money.

Old
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
smokes lets go

Completely misleading thread title, he doesn't want to talk contracts until the summer it expires, which leaves over 2 months to talk contracts, he just doesn't want to do it during the season.

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:52 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
Completely misleading thread title, he doesn't want to talk contracts until the summer it expires, which leaves over 2 months to talk contracts, he just doesn't want to do it during the season.
The rest of the quotes are in hte OP. Anyone who would wait is being naive. Just like Garrison left, Weiss will leave too.