HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
  #301
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is he an upgrade on Peckham? Just seems to be one of those guys we kinda have, be nice if he was a capable top 4.
150 more hits then Peckham in 6 more GP last season.. all while playing 3rd pairing minutes.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
  #302
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
150 more hits then Peckham in 6 more GP last season.. all while playing 3rd pairing minutes.
He hits a ton, but Peckham is by far the better PKer, rather see what Peckham looks like this or next season. He had a bad year, and some fans want to throw him to the sharks and trade for a questionable replacement.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 05:58 PM
  #303
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He hits a ton, but Peckham is by far the better PKer, rather see what Peckham looks like this or next season. He had a bad year, and some fans want to throw him to the sharks and trade for a questionable replacement.
Pecks was a liability on ice last year... too slow.. no decipline..
If he hasnt improved these 2 aspects then good PKer or not we dont want him taking a regular shift for us.. Hoping he takes the next big step and become what we hoped him to be..

Petro Points is offline  
Old
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM
  #304
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How is Fistric? Seemed to be one of those guys everyone thought they could sneak for cheap and had potential, but never really took a next step.
I went to school with him, he was hilariously bigger than every other guy in highschool.

I don't think he's that big of an upgrade over Peckham, if we could get him for next to nothing then sure but I wouldn't be giving anything significant up.

Not the best fighter, prone to mistakes and little to no offense. If he catches someone they'll get lit up though, he's a great hitter.

He gets scratched a lot playing for Dallas who isn't exactly deep on the backend.

SephF is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
  #305
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Pecks was a liability on ice last year... too slow.. no decipline..
If he hasnt improved these 2 aspects then good PKer or not we dont want him taking a regular shift for us.. Hoping he takes the next big step and become what we hoped him to be..
He's got to stays off those deadly cheeseburgers and come into camp in shape and not 30lbs which he was rumored to be last season.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 11:52 AM
  #306
bardfromedson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He's got to stays off those deadly cheeseburgers and come into camp in shape and not 30lbs which he was rumored to be last season.
he had a trainer all summer to keep him in shape. he said on the radio he had almost given up cheeseburgers all together. he knows he will need a good year to stick in edmonton. i think he will be a big suprise in a good way this year.

bardfromedson is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
  #307
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
he had a trainer all summer to keep him in shape. he said on the radio he had almost given up cheeseburgers all together. he knows he will need a good year to stick in edmonton. i think he will be a big suprise in a good way this year.
I would agree, is he playing anywhere now.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 01:01 PM
  #308
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,783
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
I would agree, is he playing anywhere now.
He's in the ECHL

The Nuge is online now  
Old
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
  #309
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Anyone think that Horton could be available from Boston? Would anyone else be willing to send over Paajarvi? We take back some salary but get that big veteran winger for our top 6.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
  #310
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Anyone think that Horton could be available from Boston? Would anyone else be willing to send over Paajarvi? We take back some salary but get that big veteran winger for our top 6.
Not a bad idea if he isnt messed up from concussions

nabob is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
  #311
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,523
vCash: 500
What's his contract like? I wouldn't want to be locked in long term with a guy with jello brain.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 09:23 PM
  #312
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What's his contract like? I wouldn't want to be locked in long term with a guy with jello brain.
A coule years at 4 mill. Wouldn't hurt us long term but could be risky if he bolts on us.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
  #313
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
A coule years at 4 mill. Wouldn't hurt us long term but could be risky if he bolts on us.
I would rather make a move like that once we are a weak playoff team.

If we do it in 2 years, then if he leaves 2 years after that when he's a UFA we don't really care as much because we had him for 2 years in the playoffs.

If we ship Paajarvi, he plays in Edmonton for 2 years where we miss the playoffs, and then he goes elsewhere via UFA we wasted a young asset.

SDig14 is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 10:25 PM
  #314
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
Gillis said the same thing about Mitchell and looked how that turned out for him. Boston would be foolish to let Horton walk for the same concerns.

Grod is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
  #315
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,279
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Anyone think that Horton could be available from Boston? Would anyone else be willing to send over Paajarvi? We take back some salary but get that big veteran winger for our top 6.
I'd be all over it,Nathan Horton can be the big, gritty, 2nd line centreman that this team needs.


Last edited by oilersfan11: 11-11-2012 at 10:39 PM.
oilersfan11 is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 11:22 PM
  #316
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,783
vCash: 1026
Isn't Horton a UFA after this year?

I do think we should go after him though. He's as cheap of a top 6 powerforward as we're going to be able to get our hands on

The Nuge is online now  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:54 AM
  #317
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Pass on Horton, too much of a injury risk for the contract he'll be asking for. He's also a RW and not a C and is UFA next year.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
  #318
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Pass on Horton, too much of a injury risk for the contract he'll be asking for. He's also a RW and not a C and is UFA next year.
As far as I remember, he can play LW or RW. He'd fill our LW position nicely.

Horton-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov

or

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Horton-Gagner-Yakupov

Paralyzer is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
  #319
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Anyone think that Horton could be available from Boston? Would anyone else be willing to send over Paajarvi? We take back some salary but get that big veteran winger for our top 6.
The Bruins probably have a tough time resigning Horton next year if the cap is in the $63M range. They have $57M committed on 16 contracts. Savard's $4M comes off through LTIR but That still only leaves them with about $10M to fill 8 roster slots. Included in that is a new deal for Tuukka Rask. Even at his current salary of $3.5M once they sign Rask there will be little left for Horton.

San Jose is in the same boat with Clowe. If the season gets cancelled both will be UFA's and there is a pretty good chance they move on.

Fourier is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
  #320
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
The Bruins probably have a tough time resigning Horton next year if the cap is in the $63M range. They have $57M committed on 16 contracts. Savard's $4M comes off through LTIR but That still only leaves them with about $10M to fill 8 roster slots. Included in that is a new deal for Tuukka Rask. Even at his current salary of $3.5M once they sign Rask there will be little left for Horton.

San Jose is in the same boat with Clowe. If the season gets cancelled both will be UFA's and there is a pretty good chance they move on.
Adding both would change the culture of our club in a big way.

Doesn't Horton play RW though? That's the crappy part because we are absolutely stacked at RW. Clowe IMO would be a target that I'd go after with a fury. I'm liking Hartikainen's chances more and more of being a 3rd wheel on one of our top 2 lines to do the grunt work and keep the puck in deep. Having two horses in the top 6 to compliment our skill IMO is the way to go.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
  #321
jmoss45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EDM
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
I like the idea of adding Clowe while keeping Hartikanen. That would add decent size and grit to our top 9.

Does anyone have the stats on fights/hits for Clowe? I would only want to bring him in if he was actually going to play that physical, "Lucic role". We can't afford another Eager.

jmoss45 is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
  #322
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I like the idea of adding Clowe while keeping Hartikanen. That would add decent size and grit to our top 9.

Does anyone have the stats on fights/hits for Clowe? I would only want to bring him in if he was actually going to play that physical, "Lucic role". We can't afford another Eager.
Their PIM and hits are pretty similar year to year, the difference being Clowe gets a lot more ice time and significantly better offense.

I don't think he throws a lot more hits than Eager though, no.

SephF is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
  #323
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Their PIM and hits are pretty similar year to year, the difference being Clowe gets a lot more ice time and significantly better offense.

I don't think he throws a lot more hits than Eager though, no.
Clowe had 109 hits last year in 76gp. (1.36/game) and Eager had 73 in 63gp. (1.16/game).

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
  #324
jmoss45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: EDM
Posts: 852
vCash: 500
Guys like Clowe are rare, so I bet he gets big $$ as a UFA. The Oilers have so much $$ tied up up front already it will likely be tough for them to get into the bidding. Our best chance would likely be to try to trade for, and extend him before next summer.

Either way, its looking like Hemsky will have to be dealt and/or Horcoff bought out if the cap drops with the new CBA.

jmoss45 is offline  
Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
  #325
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Clowe had 109 hits last year in 76gp. (1.36/game) and Eager had 73 in 63gp. (1.16/game).
To be fair he plays a lot more minutes than Eager does.

SephF is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.