HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part III

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Edmonton Oilers acquiring Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks?
Yes 103 35.64%
No 186 64.36%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is he an upgrade on Peckham? Just seems to be one of those guys we kinda have, be nice if he was a capable top 4.
150 more hits then Peckham in 6 more GP last season.. all while playing 3rd pairing minutes.

Old
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
150 more hits then Peckham in 6 more GP last season.. all while playing 3rd pairing minutes.
He hits a ton, but Peckham is by far the better PKer, rather see what Peckham looks like this or next season. He had a bad year, and some fans want to throw him to the sharks and trade for a questionable replacement.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
He hits a ton, but Peckham is by far the better PKer, rather see what Peckham looks like this or next season. He had a bad year, and some fans want to throw him to the sharks and trade for a questionable replacement.
Pecks was a liability on ice last year... too slow.. no decipline..
If he hasnt improved these 2 aspects then good PKer or not we dont want him taking a regular shift for us.. Hoping he takes the next big step and become what we hoped him to be..

Old
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How is Fistric? Seemed to be one of those guys everyone thought they could sneak for cheap and had potential, but never really took a next step.
I went to school with him, he was hilariously bigger than every other guy in highschool.

I don't think he's that big of an upgrade over Peckham, if we could get him for next to nothing then sure but I wouldn't be giving anything significant up.

Not the best fighter, prone to mistakes and little to no offense. If he catches someone they'll get lit up though, he's a great hitter.

He gets scratched a lot playing for Dallas who isn't exactly deep on the backend.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Pecks was a liability on ice last year... too slow.. no decipline..
If he hasnt improved these 2 aspects then good PKer or not we dont want him taking a regular shift for us.. Hoping he takes the next big step and become what we hoped him to be..
He's got to stays off those deadly cheeseburgers and come into camp in shape and not 30lbs which he was rumored to be last season.

Old
11-11-2012, 11:52 AM
bardfromedson

Quote:
He's got to stays off those deadly cheeseburgers and come into camp in shape and not 30lbs which he was rumored to be last season.
he had a trainer all summer to keep him in shape. he said on the radio he had almost given up cheeseburgers all together. he knows he will need a good year to stick in edmonton. i think he will be a big suprise in a good way this year.

Old
11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
he had a trainer all summer to keep him in shape. he said on the radio he had almost given up cheeseburgers all together. he knows he will need a good year to stick in edmonton. i think he will be a big suprise in a good way this year.
I would agree, is he playing anywhere now.

Old
11-11-2012, 01:01 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I would agree, is he playing anywhere now.
He's in the ECHL

Old
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
DousedInOil

Anyone think that Horton could be available from Boston? Would anyone else be willing to send over Paajarvi? We take back some salary but get that big veteran winger for our top 6.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Anyone think that Horton could be available from Boston? Would anyone else be willing to send over Paajarvi? We take back some salary but get that big veteran winger for our top 6.
Not a bad idea if he isnt messed up from concussions

Old
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

What's his contract like? I wouldn't want to be locked in long term with a guy with jello brain.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:23 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
What's his contract like? I wouldn't want to be locked in long term with a guy with jello brain.
A coule years at 4 mill. Wouldn't hurt us long term but could be risky if he bolts on us.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
SDig14

Quote:
A coule years at 4 mill. Wouldn't hurt us long term but could be risky if he bolts on us.
I would rather make a move like that once we are a weak playoff team.

If we do it in 2 years, then if he leaves 2 years after that when he's a UFA we don't really care as much because we had him for 2 years in the playoffs.

If we ship Paajarvi, he plays in Edmonton for 2 years where we miss the playoffs, and then he goes elsewhere via UFA we wasted a young asset.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Gillis said the same thing about Mitchell and looked how that turned out for him. Boston would be foolish to let Horton walk for the same concerns.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd be all over it,Nathan Horton can be the big, gritty, 2nd line centreman that this team needs.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 11-11-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 11:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Isn't Horton a UFA after this year?

I do think we should go after him though. He's as cheap of a top 6 powerforward as we're going to be able to get our hands on

Old
11-12-2012, 12:54 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Pass on Horton, too much of a injury risk for the contract he'll be asking for. He's also a RW and not a C and is UFA next year.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Pass on Horton, too much of a injury risk for the contract he'll be asking for. He's also a RW and not a C and is UFA next year.
As far as I remember, he can play LW or RW. He'd fill our LW position nicely.

Horton-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Gagner-Yakupov

or

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Horton-Gagner-Yakupov

Old
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Fourier

Quote:
The Bruins probably have a tough time resigning Horton next year if the cap is in the $63M range. They have $57M committed on 16 contracts. Savard's $4M comes off through LTIR but That still only leaves them with about $10M to fill 8 roster slots. Included in that is a new deal for Tuukka Rask. Even at his current salary of $3.5M once they sign Rask there will be little left for Horton.

San Jose is in the same boat with Clowe. If the season gets cancelled both will be UFA's and there is a pretty good chance they move on.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
The Bruins probably have a tough time resigning Horton next year if the cap is in the $63M range. They have $57M committed on 16 contracts. Savard's $4M comes off through LTIR but That still only leaves them with about $10M to fill 8 roster slots. Included in that is a new deal for Tuukka Rask. Even at his current salary of $3.5M once they sign Rask there will be little left for Horton.

San Jose is in the same boat with Clowe. If the season gets cancelled both will be UFA's and there is a pretty good chance they move on.
Adding both would change the culture of our club in a big way.

Doesn't Horton play RW though? That's the crappy part because we are absolutely stacked at RW. Clowe IMO would be a target that I'd go after with a fury. I'm liking Hartikainen's chances more and more of being a 3rd wheel on one of our top 2 lines to do the grunt work and keep the puck in deep. Having two horses in the top 6 to compliment our skill IMO is the way to go.

11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
jmoss45

I like the idea of adding Clowe while keeping Hartikanen. That would add decent size and grit to our top 9.

Does anyone have the stats on fights/hits for Clowe? I would only want to bring him in if he was actually going to play that physical, "Lucic role". We can't afford another Eager.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
I like the idea of adding Clowe while keeping Hartikanen. That would add decent size and grit to our top 9.

Does anyone have the stats on fights/hits for Clowe? I would only want to bring him in if he was actually going to play that physical, "Lucic role". We can't afford another Eager.
Their PIM and hits are pretty similar year to year, the difference being Clowe gets a lot more ice time and significantly better offense.

I don't think he throws a lot more hits than Eager though, no.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Their PIM and hits are pretty similar year to year, the difference being Clowe gets a lot more ice time and significantly better offense.

I don't think he throws a lot more hits than Eager though, no.
Clowe had 109 hits last year in 76gp. (1.36/game) and Eager had 73 in 63gp. (1.16/game).

Old
11-12-2012, 02:12 PM
jmoss45

Guys like Clowe are rare, so I bet he gets big $$ as a UFA. The Oilers have so much $$ tied up up front already it will likely be tough for them to get into the bidding. Our best chance would likely be to try to trade for, and extend him before next summer.

Either way, its looking like Hemsky will have to be dealt and/or Horcoff bought out if the cap drops with the new CBA.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Clowe had 109 hits last year in 76gp. (1.36/game) and Eager had 73 in 63gp. (1.16/game).
To be fair he plays a lot more minutes than Eager does.

Closed Thread