HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jamie Benn is Shy

Old
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Doesn't seem shy to me.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
What happens in the sauna, stays in the sauna.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:16 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
@Saw, I think you're just looking too much into it. He likes his privacy, and enjoys the team he's drafted by. That's the exact opposite of wanting to have more freedom to choose where he goes.

Also its latter, not ladder.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Riddum

vCash: 500
To be honest, if I played in the NHL, I wouldn't want to play in Canada either, but that's for tax purposes lol.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
don't know if this was talked about in other threads..(mod)

just bought the THN 2012-13 yearbook recently.....

read an article about jamie benn and i saw a comment by him that was disturbing...

here is the quote from the montreal gazette..

don't know if benn's comment was sarcastic/poking fun, or he really meant it....

if its the ladder, i can see why fans are anti-player in this lockout.........

if you have a player who refuses to play in canadian markets because his privacy might be compromised or can't deal media pressure, then players like him should be disrespcted....

benn is the example of the modern prima donna, diva like hockey player.... always wanting to dictate what teams to play for, mostly in US markets, when they waive their no-trade clause..

they're too soft to handle media pressure and refuses to be accountable to the media when his play on the ice begins to suck....

i think joe nieuwendyk probably had a great influence on benn, that playing in a canadian market is considered with some disdain... .....remember the salary dispute nieuwendyk had with the flames? he dearly wanted to get out of calgary....

it kinda sucks that the players want us to support them in this lockout, but at the same time refuses to play in a canadian market because the media there is too oppressive....or any trivial reasons to avoid them...
I too have a serious problem with players who want "Toronto money" with "Dallas pressure".

But then, that is just another problem that is a direct result of the salary cap. If teams who have a "media problem" like Toronto can't pay the players more money to compensate for the headache, then they simply are not able to compete with franchises who, because of the cap, can offer the same contract, with none of the associated hassle.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Lacaar

You can't fault a person for coming out and saying how they feel. Nor do I judge how they should feel.

I would say that if it was a common occurence it's not really good for the health of the league. I don't think it's really an issue though.

Life is about decisions and if Jamie Benn doesn't want to play in the spotlight then he can make that decision when UFA comes. Until then he is bound to the team(fortunately for him the Dallas Stars). If for some reason Dallas became a hockey hotbed and he didn't want to player there because of it he should go find another league to ply his skills in.

I don't believe in a players right to request a trade for any reasons. Perhaps mutual termination of contract where by the player can't return to the NHL so they can seek employment in some other league.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
moog35

Quote:
don't know if this was talked about in other threads..(mod)

just bought the THN 2012-13 yearbook recently.....

read an article about jamie benn and i saw a comment by him that was disturbing...

here is the quote from the montreal gazette..

don't know if benn's comment was sarcastic/poking fun, or he really meant it....

if its the ladder, i can see why fans are anti-player in this lockout.........

if you have a player who refuses to play in canadian markets because his privacy might be compromised or can't deal media pressure, then players like him should be disrespcted....

benn is the example of the modern prima donna, diva like hockey player.... always wanting to dictate what teams to play for, mostly in US markets, when they waive their no-trade clause..

they're too soft to handle media pressure and refuses to be accountable to the media when his play on the ice begins to suck....

i think joe nieuwendyk probably had a great influence on benn, that playing in a canadian market is considered with some disdain... .....remember the salary dispute nieuwendyk had with the flames? he dearly wanted to get out of calgary....

it kinda sucks that the players want us to support them in this lockout, but at the same time refuses to play in a canadian market because the media there is too oppressive....or any trivial reasons to avoid them...

Hall of shame post, your ripping into a guy because hes shy, who cares if he likes his privacy, I bet if you were recognized everywhere you went you would eventually get sick of it. Some guys deal with it better than others and to call him a pima donna is outrageous

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
He doesn't want to play in Canada. I fail to see the big deal.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
frankthetank91

I knew this, when he was interviewed at the All Star game it looks like he was about to **** bricks.

Anyways, nothing wrong with being shy but why is it hockey players are the shyest of the professional athletes? So often do I hear "he would hate the media pressure", "he wouldn't strive in a Canadian market, too much attention" I can understand some but it seems like there are more players that can't handle it than can.

We need some more Chris Pronger's in this league.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
I knew this, when he was interviewed at the All Star game it looks like he was about to **** bricks.

Anyways, nothing wrong with being shy but why is it hockey players are the shyest of the professional athletes? So often do I hear "he would hate the media pressure", "he wouldn't strive in a Canadian market, too much attention" I can understand some but it seems like there are more players that can't handle it than can.

We need some more Chris Pronger's in this league.
Why, so they can get trashed and dragged through mud like Kane? No matter what, people will find something wrong.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
okay...

i did not know he was shy....

too bad the THN did not mention his shyness....
The thread title suggests otherwise...anyways, you're overreacting to this whether he meant it in a rude way or not (which he did not)

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Elvs

Shy people should be disrespected... Really?

Personally, I would be terryfied to give live interviews that millions of viewers would watch. I don't see why being an Elite hockey player nessecarely makes it any easier.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:20 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I find that players are ******* for not wanting to play in a Canadian market. What's the worst that's gonna happen? You'll have to sign 2-3 times more autographs and get mentioned more on the radio or get recognized more?
You know the Will &Kate hoopla?

Well, Mats Sundin had toronto media analyzing his personal life. One occasion they snapped a shot of his girlfriend walking a dog. Saku Koivu had media break into his hospital room and take a picture of him when he had that stick in the eye injury. Particularly in Toronto and Montreal, media are all over these guys, and I guarantee most of the better players are probably recognized and approached regularly by the general populace, whereas most US stars can pretty much go incognito in the cities they live in(unless we are talking Ovechkin or Crosby)

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

If a guy's shy so what? He's a heck of a hockey player, that's all I care about with him.

11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Sucks for the two fishbowls. Never a good enough team to cater to high ego players, too much media to draw more introverted players

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Introverted guy commits faux pas during conversation. Sounds like something to get angry about.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:46 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Would it make you feel better if he said: "I don't like the cold"?

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Can't blame the guy. Also...It's latter...Not the thing you climb.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I fail to see where you get to disrespect someone because they don't like being in the spotlight.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:55 PM
RogerRoeper*

His comments mean little to me. Is it a surprise that a shy person likes markets with less media attention? We all knew this was true.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
I too have a serious problem with players who want "Toronto money" with "Dallas pressure".

But then, that is just another problem that is a direct result of the salary cap. If teams who have a "media problem" like Toronto can't pay the players more money to compensate for the headache, then they simply are not able to compete with franchises who, because of the cap, can offer the same contract, with none of the associated hassle.
winner, winner....chicken dinner!!!!

ITA

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Hall of shame post, your ripping into a guy because hes shy, who cares if he likes his privacy, I bet if you were recognized everywhere you went you would eventually get sick of it. Some guys deal with it better than others and to call him a pima donna is outrageous
did you read the 48th post?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=48

sawchuk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
avsman

Who cares? It's his life, for all you know he could have anxiety problems or something, who cares if he doesn't want to be a "celebrity." It's not like he's a cocky ******* bad mouthing Canadian markets.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
RogerRoeper*

You can also dig up many quotes from players loving the attention from playing in Canada. I remember a Darcy Tucker interview where he said he loved Toronto so much because he was treated like a movie star everytime he went out.

Some like it, some don't.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Some players like the big markets and attention, and some don't. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote