2012 CBA Discussion III (Lockout Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
thegodfather

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Any good owner would have no choice but to make those deals. Imagine the criticism if they didn't form deals based around what they currently allowed under the current CBA, and instead tried to lowball their best players for a price they thought actually fair? You don't have to imagine it, you just need to look back at the criticism Jacobs got for doing just that. His image still hasn't recovered after spending to the cap for as long as the cap's been in place (over that even at times) and bringing a Stanley Cup to Boston. Nashville might has well of closed to the doors to the arena if they didn't match for Weber even though it was well outside their comfort level.

The owners are in it to make money, this is a business. Making millions of dollars a year for investing/owning/running a national sports franchise isn't ludicrous (or shouldn't be). Making millions of dollars to play a game however...

I understand wanting to be fairly compensated and treated properly. At what point do the demands for such become ridiculous? They're well past that point in professional sports imo.
Kaoz, I don't disagree with you on any of your comments. But at the same time they put their names on those contracts, they should honor them to the fullest.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I hear you about the refusal to negotiate early, but I give them a pass on that because I"d like to think they wanted to focus on playing the game at the time (who wants cba drama in the locker room come playoff time). Fehr is a hard ass and there is no doubt they wanted a hardass after eating **** the last time through.
Yes fan boys always give the cool players a pass.

Greed. End of story here folks. Don't try to complicate it.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:30 AM
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBruin View Post
Yes fan boys always give the cool players a pass.

Greed. End of story here folks. Don't try to complicate it.
But it's greed on both sides.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
NBCSports should threaten to pull the TV contract. They need some pressure from the outside...
NBC sports gets a FREE year of the NHL tacked onto the end of the deal if they lose a season.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Agreed. Just tired of the common belief being propagated that it's all on the owners and the players are innocent victims. They league will die as the league is structured. The players are just as guilty and should not be getting half of the revenue when they don't assume any of the league costs. Said it before but it bears repeating. Nobody is innocent in this one.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:52 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
We're all guilty of it- I want to watch hockey now and I want it cheap!

Last edited by JMiller: 11-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Yeah easy for me since it's not my money.

The hiring of Fehr made me think there wouldn't be a season this year, so maybe that's why I'm not that shocked or upset... I do like how he gets under the skin of Bettman though...Hard to get under the skin of a cockroach.
I used to wonder how Bettman could sleep at night until I remembered that roaches don't sleep at night.

It's funny, I wrote off the beginning of this season too and, as a result, kind of like hearing how fehr is playing headgames with ownership.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
You are our only hope

I don't know who to blame anymore.

If we loose this season I will take the $$$ saved and put in a new furnace. My house suffers because of the b's.

IF there is no hockey come Jan I will try to get to a few P Bruins games.

I am very disappointed.

Last edited by Ladyfan: 11-12-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
We're all guilty of it- I want to watch hockey now and I want it cheap!
Then I suggest you go to Agganis Arena to see Matt Grzelczyk and the Terriers or to BC to see the National Champion Eagles. Great hockey....and cheap.

I like Agganis, myself because you can buy a beer there.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:30 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I am not following this stuff after Thursday but I still think there is a season. Imagine if we did miss a season, Chara a year older, Thomas decides to return....a bunch of the kids are ready- would we ever see Shawn Thornton in a Bruins uniform again? Seguin legal.

The quality of the AHL though will do wonders for the development of Sauve, Caron, Spooner (wow, last night), Knight, Krug, and many of the others; Hamilton will have another year under his belt, as well as Subban and others

I'd hate that we get that stupid weighted lottery and the Leafs are loaded to finish near the bottom of choicey picks

still, no way this many folks allow this season to miss- it may be a round robin starting on St Patricks Day but they'll be a season. I'd be all for a two losses and your out playing everyone in your division and then moving on to the playoffs

Old
11-12-2012, 11:43 AM
kms311

As much as I hate that the NHL isn't happening right now, I realized that there is other hockey out there.

I went to a Springfield Falcons game on Friday night. Fantastic game. 2-0 win by Springfield. Got to see them play against the Connecticut Whale. Watched Chris Kreider for the first time live. McIlrath is also on that team, but he was a scratch.

But it was refreshing to watch pro-level hockey again. And it's CHEAP!

Old
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I am not following this stuff after Thursday but I still think there is a season. Imagine if we did miss a season, Chara a year older, Thomas decides to return....a bunch of the kids are ready- would we ever see Shawn Thornton in a Bruins uniform again? Seguin legal.

The quality of the AHL though will do wonders for the development of Sauve, Caron, Spooner (wow, last night), Knight, Krug, and many of the others; Hamilton will have another year under his belt, as well as Subban and others

I'd hate that we get that stupid weighted lottery and the Leafs are loaded to finish near the bottom of choicey picks

still, no way this many folks allow this season to miss- it may be a round robin starting on St Patricks Day but they'll be a season. I'd be all for a two losses and your out playing everyone in your division and then moving on to the playoffs
As I understand the weighted lottery, we get one ball in the bin where the Leafs would get three. There's still a chance our ball could roll out first. Regardless of the odds we could have the first pick. Unlike the normal system where we wouldn't have a shot at that pick if we finished with a high spot in the standings.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
BergyMeister
Overpaid Grinder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms311 View Post
As much as I hate that the NHL isn't happening right now, I realized that there is other hockey out there.

I went to a Springfield Falcons game on Friday night. Fantastic game. 2-0 win by Springfield. Got to see them play against the Connecticut Whale. Watched Chris Kreider for the first time live. McIlrath is also on that team, but he was a scratch.

This, I know for a lot of the hardcore fans who have played and or been watching the NHL for years the AHL may leave them wanting. However for a casual fan turned "more than casual" it's just as fun to watch and much cheaper. My only regret is that I live 2 hours away from an AHL team so I can't see as many live games as I'd like.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Number8

Quote:
NBCSports should threaten to pull the TV contract. They need some pressure from the outside...
I have been wondering the same thing since this started.

I must be naive, but I can't for the life of me think why NBC hasn't given the players and the owners a hard deadline. NHL simply cannot be that big a crown jewel for NBC can it? If it was NFL, yes. But NHL in USA??????

Old
11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms311 View Post

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/index

Always good to read about too...Bruins or otherwise...

Old
11-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I have been wondering the same thing since this started.

I must be naive, but I can't for the life of me think why NBC hasn't given the players and the owners a hard deadline. NHL simply cannot be that big a crown jewel for NBC can it? If it was NFL, yes. But NHL in USA??????
The NHL got a 10 year deal partially on the premise that all of its issues would be solved in the upcoming CBA negotiations.

Doesn't matter what anyone of us believe. NBC gives the NHL an ultimatum : Settle by Nov 1st or we cancel the deal ?

Players win by a landslide and it isn't even close. NHL would have to give into every one of the players demands to get the deal done by then. There's no threat to the players to settle in that event.

NBC knew there was a possibility of losing the season. That's why they got the "free" year tagged on at the end in the event the season was lost.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that the longer this goes, that NBC would be better off with a lost season. Pay $200 million for a 48 game season or $200 million for 0 games with a free 88 games tagged onto the end (accounting for expansion there )

Old
11-12-2012, 01:17 PM
bruinsfan46

I wish I had reasons to be optimistic but I don't see them. Fehr vs. Bettman was gonna be really tough from the start. For the people who think a deal gets done, when? And what changes before then? Wasn't DKH's date November 15th? Coming up awfully fast.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
As I understand the weighted lottery, we get one ball in the bin where the Leafs would get three. There's still a chance our ball could roll out first. Regardless of the odds we could have the first pick. Unlike the normal system where we wouldn't have a shot at that pick if we finished with a high spot in the standings.
Pretty sad that the NHL has a standing policy for ordering the draft after a lockout cancels an entire season.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Kevin McGran ‏@kevin_mcgran
SFehr: baseball has it figured out (rev sharing vs hard cap = labour piece)

SFehr: Players have not taken the position we have to get rid of the cap. We're trying to work within system to get a deal

SFehr: says Don not a big fan of cap but "you take systems as you find them'

Old
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I wish I had reasons to be optimistic but I don't see them. Fehr vs. Bettman was gonna be really tough from the start. For the people who think a deal gets done, when? And what changes before then? Wasn't DKH's date November 15th? Coming up awfully fast.
yes, and I am so embarressed over this I am thinking of driving to Toronto and buying one of the Leafs paper bags to wear in public. As I stated before I have the blueprint up for a penalty box that I will build in my backyard Friday morning and go sit for 2 minutes in shame.

If they get past my date, just forget it- take a year off, a couple, maybe long enough to outlive some owners.

I am kinda liking saving about 10 grand in NHL related money and going to Providence games anyways.

But yes, November 15th is the date the mods shut off my account here and I slink away in shame to the abyss

Old
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
yes, and I am so embarressed over this I am thinking of driving to Toronto and buying one of the Leafs paper bags to wear in public. As I stated before I have the blueprint up for a penalty box that I will build in my backyard Friday morning and go sit for 2 minutes in shame.

If they get past my date, just forget it- take a year off, a couple, maybe long enough to outlive some owners.

I am kinda liking saving about 10 grand in NHL related money and going to Providence games anyways.But yes, November 15th is the date the mods shut off my account here and I slink away in shame to the abyss
Me too.. going friday night for draft and dog night. I plan on having entirely too much fun.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:

I am kinda liking saving about 10 grand in NHL related money and going to Providence games anyways.

But yes, November 15th is the date the mods shut off my account here and I slink away in shame to the abyss

DKH, not only are you keeping my optimism up, but you're keeping my sense of humor going as well...and for that I thank you!

Old
11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Lol, I've always tried to keep my hopes up and thought your date sounded good. Disappointing lack of progress last week.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Lol, I've always tried to keep my hopes up and thought your date sounded good. Disappointing lack of progress last week.
Reading all the tweets, leaks and Press spin, both sides appear to be very close on the revenue split; the contentious issue outstanding appears to be what are the players getting in return for their reduced revenue split:

1. FA age reduced by a year or 2 as opposed to the NHL's request to raise it?

2. Contract lengths left as is as opposed to 5 year limits?

3. No changes to arbitration?

4. What %age of the players' salary will be paid this season if there is indeed a season.

Will it take the BOG dismissing Betteman for a deal to get done as the players' animosity towards him seems to be at an all time high?

Old
11-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down View Post
Pretty sad that the NHL has a standing policy for ordering the draft after a lockout cancels an entire season.
I guess they have to do that in anticipation of a 2013-2014 season. I hope it doesn't extend into year two.

Closed Thread