HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW John Gaudreau - Boston College, HE (2011, 104th overall, Calgary)

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Make It Biznasty*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I don't count the USHL as breaking out, I don't count JG as breaking out until this year.
ahh okay i see what you're saying, very impressive he was able to adjust in one year and put up those point totals

Old
07-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Pure

Too many skilled small players have found success at the NCAA level and have done nothing in the NHL, so I don't consider this a gem at this point.

Old
08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
mirec73

Page devoted to John Gaudreau

https://www.facebook.com/johngaudreau03

Old
08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

I liked it

Old
10-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

Great start to the 2012-2013 season with 3 goals and 4 assists in 5 games. IIRC 2 of those goals are game winners. Really like this guy.

Old
10-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Beerfest*

Old
10-29-2012, 01:03 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Kid looks like a player. Excited to see him in the WJC.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Johnny Gaudreau has 12 points in 9 games this season for BC. 1st in goals in the NCAA, 5 GWG and an assist on another GW. Kid is single handily willing his way into the top prospects in the world discussion.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:09 PM
old time hockey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Johnny Gaudreau has 12 points in 9 games this season for BC. 1st in goals in the NCAA, 5 GWG and an assist on another GW. Kid is single handily willing his way into the top prospects in the world discussion.
I'm still going to wait to see what he can do at the World Juniors before I really get excited about him, but so far he's done everything in his power to give himself a shot at the NHL. 5GWG in 9 games is incredible, he has what, 27 more games to beat the NCAA record of 10GWG? Right now he's sure making a case for the Hobey Baker.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
I think he'll need to have a solid show at the WJC's to start getting any recognition, he is currently putting up better numbers then Kreider did last year (albeit, not by much)

No doubt you'll get alot of sarcastic comments, but Gaudreau has the most upside out of all Flames prospects, imo. Would be very exciting if he can translate his style to the NHL.

Old
11-12-2012, 02:20 PM
F l a m e s
Money Baer

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I think he'll need to have a solid show at the WJC's to start getting any recognition, he is currently putting up better numbers then Kreider did last year (albeit, not by much)

No doubt you'll get alot of sarcastic comments, but Gaudreau has the most upside out of all Flames prospects, imo. Would be very exciting if he can translate his style to the NHL.
He put up almost identical numbers to Kreider last year...

Chris Kreider 44: 23G - 22A - 45pts

Johnny Gaudreau 44: 21G - 23A - 44pts

Old
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post

I really Like Gaudreau, but I would say Bartschi has more upside...no?

Old
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time hockey4 View Post
I'm still going to wait to see what he can do at the World Juniors before I really get excited about him, but so far he's done everything in his power to give himself a shot at the NHL. 5GWG in 9 games is incredible, he has what, 27 more games to beat the NCAA record of 10GWG? Right now he's sure making a case for the Hobey Baker.
BC Eagles fans are already calling it the "Gaudreaby Baker"

Old
11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Adirondack Flames
moving.... again!?!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEY_GURU View Post
It's definitely debatable, personally I think Gaudreau has higher upside, but a much lower downside.

With Baertschi if everything goes right he could be an all-star winger and he is probably talented enough to be a top 6 forward if he doesn't reach his potential.

With Gaudreau I think if everything goes right he could have a hall of fame career, but if he doesn't reach his potential he probably won't even be in the NHL.

I think Baertschi is most assuredly the better prospect because he is all but guaranteed to be something, where is with Gaudreau nothing is guaranteed at all.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Analyzer

He's very talented. Just got to wait and see.

I remember when Corey Locke destroyed Eric Staal in terms of points in the OHL. 1 was a first round, 2nd overall pick. Currently an NHL captain, stanley cup winner and a franchise centre. The other sucks.

I'm not saying Gaudreau will be like that. I'm just saying, hype the kid, but don't turn around and say not much was expected of him if he fails.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He's very talented. Just got to wait and see.

I remember when Corey Locke destroyed Eric Staal in terms of points in the OHL. 1 was a first round, 2nd overall pick. Currently an NHL captain, stanley cup winner and a franchise centre. The other sucks.

I'm not saying Gaudreau will be like that. I'm just saying, hype the kid, but don't turn around and say not much was expected of him if he fails.
"The other sucks"? Way too harsh.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
What are you, his dad?

Old
11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
I would say Gaudreau has more upside, he has a high potential to bust though, while Bartschi is looking more and more like a sure thing.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
This is a ridiculous statement. There are guys in his draft year that had pretty good rookie seasons in the NHL and other still ahead of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
He put up almost identical numbers to Kreider last year...

Chris Kreider 44: 23G - 22A - 45pts

Johnny Gaudreau 44: 21G - 23A - 44pts
If Gaudreau had 20 of Kreiders weight and 2 inches then it would mean alot more going forward but he doesn't.

Even small superstars like Mart st. Louis are thick and ahve what 40lbs on Gaudreau. Has he even hit 160 lbs yet?

Quote:
Well PPG guy in the AHL and scored 3 goals in 5 NHL games should be considered the better prospect IMO.

The only numbers Flame fans should worry about is his weight and strength and that they increase by quite a bit.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Analyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Compared to you, or I he's amazing.

Compared to Eric Staal....

Old
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Ashasx

Gaudreau is probably around 150 lbs. St. Louis, who I'd say is very similar in size, is 175. That's not a 40 lbs difference, and St. Louis is one of the more well built guys his size.

He has lots of time to put on weight, and he's been doing that.

And wouldn't Gaudreau scoring at the same pace as Kreider at his size make his achievements even more impressive?

Last edited by Ashasx: 11-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old
11-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
This is a ridiculous statement. There are guys in his draft year that had pretty good rookie seasons in the NHL and other still ahead of him.

Not at all. If he was 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier playing at the same level he is at BC, he'd be one of the most talked about prospects in the world. His freshman season was as good as Kreider's junior season, and we all remember how much Kreider was talked about. His coming out party will be at the WJC.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Gaudreau is probably around 150 lbs. St. Louis, who I'd say is very similar in size, is 175. That's not a 40 lbs difference, and St. Louis is one of the more well built guys his size.
Looked it up he started the season at BC at 153 lbs, still the number of small guys with great skillsets even making the NHL a career is small and star status even smaller.

Quote:
11 lbs is a good start but he still needs another 20 and even then he is still a longshot.

Quote:
And wouldn't Gaudreau scoring at the same pace as Kreider at his size make his achievements even more impressive?
Not really big guys take longer and we are talking about making the NHL here, size isn't as great of an issue in College as it is in the pro ranks or heck even Major Jr where there is a longer more NHL like shcedule.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Ashasx

Size is certainly more of an issue in college than it is in the CHL. What a silly claim you've made.

Gaudreau is playing against 24 year olds, some a full 230 lbs +. And he's making them all look silly.

Will he likely reach his potential? No. But he's still a quality prospect and I think he'll be getting a lot of mentions by this time next year.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

No, small players tend to score a lot more at lower levels, but the majority struggle when they play against NHL competition. Look at most junior and college leading scorers and you'll see that a lot of them are undersized.

Closed Thread