HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Matt Puempel

Old
11-12-2012, 11:21 AM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
Matt Puempel

Puempel is currently at 21 points in 20 games (16g, 5a), and the team's next highest scorer is Rieder at 6g. Could Kitchener fans (or any other fans who have seen him) comment on his play so far this year? Are you happy with his play? Is his lack of assists due to his team's lack of ability to produce, or something else? Appreciate it

SensPromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Puempel has always been a pretty good goal scorer. As a 19-year-old former first round pick, I am not surprised that he is playing on a PPG pace. I think that his lack of assists is due to the lack of goal scorers on the team and he is also the go-to guy on the team. I think his real test this season will be whether or not he can make the World Juniors roster and if he does, whether or not he can perform well on the big stage.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

He's been good but I'm a little disappointed he hasn't produced more offense.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Puempel has always been a pretty good goal scorer. As a 19-year-old former first round pick, I am not surprised that he is playing on a PPG pace. I think that his lack of assists is due to the lack of goal scorers on the team and he is also the go-to guy on the team. I think his real test this season will be whether or not he can make the World Juniors roster and if he does, whether or not he can perform well on the big stage.
I have a hard time believing he will.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:35 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Kid has a phenomenal shot. However post injury, it seems like he avoids the dirty areas. When he was a rookie, he was a rocket all over the ice. He was a tad smaller then he is now and really knew how to maneuver down low and in the corners. Gonna have to get more gritty if he wants to be an NHLer.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
tony d
The man

Looking forward to seeing how this Ottawa prospect progresses over the next year or 2. Think he's going to be a good 1.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I have a hard time believing he will.
Scored 16 goals already in front of Team Canada's head coach.

If Spott is looking for goal scorers, I have a hard time believing he won't take a good look at the guy who's scored 30% of his teams goals.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
From what I have seen he will take a while to make it to the NHL and has to work on a few areas such as defensive effort/awareness, and a willingness to grind it out along the boards. No doubt though, he is an effective scorer.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
We're going to have to take our time with Puemps. He'll need at least 2 years in the AHL imo to round out his game. The Paulrus doesn't play 1 dimensional players.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post

If Spott is looking for goal scorers, I have a hard time believing he won't take a good look at the guy who's scored 30% of his teams goals.
The problem is that Puempel will have to play a top 6 winger role if he makes the team. Assuming that the lockout is still going on when the tournament rolls around, he will be competing with guys like RNH, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Strome, Rattie and MacKinnon just to name a few for those top 6 forward spots. At this point, I have a hard time seeing him overtaking any of those names that I just mentioned above whether he is playing for Team Canada's coach or not. Puempel will have to play better than he already is playing to make that team.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:16 PM
spfan

Quote:

Toffoli never made Team Canada either though. I'd say he's better and more consistent than Puempel too.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
Toffoli never made Team Canada either though. I'd say he's better and more consistent than Puempel too.
Puempel is a better skater. Toffoli always looked like he was moving through mud. I fully believe it was Toffoli's skating that kept him off those teams.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:54 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Puempel is a better skater. Toffoli always looked like he was moving through mud. I fully believe it was Toffoli's skating that kept him off those teams.
I'd take it over inconsistency.

spfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post
I'd take it over inconsistency.
In a tournament like the WJCs id agree. I definitely think Puempel is a much better NHL prospect then Toffoli though.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:17 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
In a tournament like the WJCs id agree. I definitely think Puempel is a much better NHL prospect then Toffoli though.
I'd agree with that. Puempel also has a better shot IMO, but Toffoli knows how to control the offensive zone better.

As an aside, I was the pretty impressed with Puempel at the SS game in Guelph. Seemed to be one of the only Canadians actually moving the puck effectively

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:14 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:

too one-dimensional and soft to be a bottom six player and not enough spots in the top six.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
SprDaVE

Seems a long shot to me.

He's got good offensive abilties but other than that... meh. Perimiter player, average skater, average size, average everything --- if not sub-par.

Could be a solid AHL player but I don't see much of a NHL player if he doesn't improve more than just having a good shot. He reminds me a lot of Jeremy Williams in that aspect.

We'll see though.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:32 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
There isnt a lack of primary scorers, some of them are off to a slow start. Puempel has been placed with different linemates to get them going and so far they have not. He has played with Radek Faksa(Dallas 1st rd) , Tobias Rieder(Edm 4th rd), Matia Marcantouni(Pitts 4th rd), Ben Thomson (NJ 4th rd) and also has Ryan Murphy (Car 1st rd) on the rush with him as well at times.

He has good hockey IQ and nose for the net. He has been hit with the injury bug the last 2 years in Peterborough but seems to be good so far. With the slow start for some of the other players, teams are focusing on Matt most of the time now and he is still getting his points. Currently between Matt and our goaltending (John Gibson and Frankie Palazzese), they single handed have been winning a few games for Kitchener.

As for his two way play, its getting better but he does pick his spots when he wants to come back and play. But like I said, I have seen an improvement with him every game so far on the defensive side.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote