HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but is there a chance the blues let him play a couple games with the big club next year? Could he play the full season..?

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tarasenko
Jaskin Steen Stewart
Sobotka Nichol Reaves
Jaskin will likely start his pro career with Peoria next season but I'd say he's got a snowball's chance in hell of playing the whole season with the Blues. Maybe a few games as a call-up but even then, there would likely have to be a lot of injuries to key people and he would have to be VERY impressive to get the call over some others.

He's having a good season like I thought he would (big difference between being a 17-18 yr old in a pro men's league and a 19 yr old in a league primarily of 16-19 yr olds) but let's not overdo it with the Jaskin hype just yet.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 11-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.
STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:35 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Jaskin will likely start his pro career with Peoria next season but I'd say he's got a snowball's chance in hell of playing the whole season with the Blues. Maybe a few games as a call-up but even then, there would likely have to be a lot of injuries to key people and he would have to be VERY impressive to get the call over some others.

He's having a good season like I thought he would (big difference between being a 17-18 yr old in a pro men's league and a 19 yr old in a league primarily of 16-19 yr olds) but let's not overdo it with the Jaskin hype just yet.
I agree as many people have put up crazy numbers in junior, yet it didn't translate to the pro game. Remember Kyle Reeves? 89 goals in the WHL? Nope? Ha ha. Big jump from College, Europe, and Juniors to the pro minor level and big jump from pro minors to NHL.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:

I just want to correct one thing in your post. The QMJHL age range is 16-20, not 16-19.

Also, there are far more 18-20 year olds than 16-17 year olds. There 22, 18-20 year olds on Jaskins team.

I just don't want it to seem like Jaskin is playing mostly guys younger than him. He is going up against a lot of guys that are right near him in age.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
I just want to correct one thing in your post. The QMJHL age range is 16-20, not 16-19.

Also, there are far more 18-20 year olds than 16-17 year olds. There 22, 18-20 year olds on Jaskins team.

I just don't want it to seem like Jaskin is playing mostly guys younger than him. He is going up against a lot of guys that are right near him in age.
Which is why I said "primarily" 16-19 yr olds. Each team can have a couple overagers (ie. 20 yr olds) but let's be honest. If you are 20 and still playing in the Q then you didn't have any better options (ie. no team was willing to sign said player to even a minor league deal). Yes, there are a good number of players who, like Jaskin, are 19 and some others that are 20 but he's certainly on the older half of that league. All I was pointing out is that it shouldn't be all too surprising that he went from struggling as a 17-18 yr old in a pro league to dominating as a 19 yr old in a Jr league.

I'll note that some 15 yr olds will also get some games in playing Canadian Major Jrs. as well so it goes the other way too. Usually, it's only for a handful of games after the player is drafted (for example, Rattie played 10 games for Portland as a 15 yr old after they drafted him) but there are also the players who enter early due to "exceptional status" and play full seasons as 15 yr olds - Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, and Connor McDavid this season.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
h22prelude93

Smh...I don't see any reason not to be excited about Jaskin's recent play in the QMJHL. I haven't see anyone downplaying 19 yr old Jonathan Huberdeau's success. While it's true that Jaskin did play against men in the Czech Extraliga he also played very limited minutes and spent a lot of time in the Czech Junior leagues as well. Not to mention he also played on the larger European ice surface. Even with his experience, it's still very impressive IMO how quickly he's adapting to North American ice. He's currently outscoring both Petr Straka and Martin Frk(two Czech players with much more NA experience)and is now trailing only one point behind future NHL star Nathan MacKinnon. If there exist a hype train for Dmitri Jaskin consider me on it.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:15 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Smh...I don't see any reason not to be excited about Jaskin's recent play in the QMJHL. I haven't see anyone downplaying 19 yr old Jonathan Huberdeau's success. While it's true that Jaskin did play against men in the Czech Extraliga he also played very limited minutes and spent a lot of time in the Czech Junior leagues as well. Not to mention he also played on the larger European ice surface. Even with his experience, it's still very impressive IMO how quickly he's adapting to North American ice. He's currently outscoring both Petr Straka and Martin Frk(two Czech players with much more NA experience)and is now trailing only one point behind future NHL star Nathan MacKinnon. If there exist a hype train for Dmitri Jaskin consider me on it.
I never said there wasn't reason to not be excited about Jaskin's recent play. I was just simply pointing out that we should be careful not to OVER-hype him, ie. we shouldn't be considering him an option for the Blues next season.

Jaskin has had a very impressive season thus far and I expect it to continue. Comparing him to Nathan MacKinnon though? Seriously? MacKinnon is 2 years younger than Jaskin (2 1/2 yrs actually but 2 development years) and that difference is significant.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:28 PM
The Note
Expectations: Low

He seems to be shaping into a pleasant surprise for me, hopefully he keeps progressing and can contribute down the line.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
I never said there wasn't reason to not be excited about Jaskin's recent play. I was just simply pointing out that we should be careful not to OVER-hype him, ie. we shouldn't be considering him an option for the Blues next season.

Jaskin has had a very impressive season thus far and I expect it to continue. Comparing him to Nathan MacKinnon though? Seriously? MacKinnon is 2 years younger than Jaskin (2 1/2 yrs actually but 2 development years) and that difference is significant.
C'mon that was more of an observation than a comparison. But even still, Do you think MacKinnon plays like a 17 yr old kid? It seems to me you are a little too hung up on age. Look I don't think anyone is overhyping Jaskin. Noone expects him to make the Blues next season, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't give credit where it's due. Truth is, outside of our prospects...there really isn't much else to be excited about right now.

Old
11-13-2012, 05:58 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
C'mon that was more of an observation than a comparison. But even still, Do you think MacKinnon plays like a 17 yr old kid? It seems to me you are a little too hung up on age. Look I don't think anyone is overhyping Jaskin. Noone expects him to make the Blues next season, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't give credit where it's due. Truth is, outside of our prospects...there really isn't much else to be excited about right now.
No...there sure isn't much to get excited about right now. Let's just hope when Jaskin plays against much larger and faster talent that he can handle it and make adjustments.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Which is why I said "primarily" 16-19 yr olds.
I don't mean to be a dick but that doesn't clear it up.

The Q isn't "primarily 16-19 year olds" as you said. It is primarily 17-19 year olds with a few 16 and 20 year olds.

It should also be noted that the 18-20 year olds play a lot more than the 16-17 year olds.

Of the top 14 leading scorers on Jaskin's team, their ages are:
20: 2
19: 6
18: 4
17: 1
16: 2

Prince Edward Island's top 5 scorers are all 19 and 20, including 2 d-men that Jaskin probably has to face.

Yeah Jaskin is on the older side but there are a lot of player's his age in the league and he is going up against a lot of those players.

I just don't want it to sound like Jaskin is facing 16-17 year olds. He is actually facing a lot of guys right around or at his age.

This is for the benefit of people who are unfamiliar with the QMJHL. I'm not calling you out or anything.

You are certainly right that Jaskin should probably be doing well and that if he were 17 that it'd be more impressive. However, I think he is doing so well that being impressed is warranted.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
It's very frustrating to have only something like this to debate rather than actual NHL hockey.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:43 PM
stlweir

Only the elite make it out of Juniors early to play in the NHL. Pie for example got a taste of NHL action but played his final year of juniors. To down play the production of a players final year in juniors doesn't make sense. If they are an over age player then I'm on board. Jaskin has come in and produced, leads his team in scoring and possibly leads in hits too. Give the guy some credit.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Mike Liut

anybody want to give a player comparison for him?

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Jaromír Jágr

Old
11-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Slightly lesser Niederreiter? Neiderreiter is probably more regarded defensively and is probably a stronger skater.

I also think Nino is going to be a very good player, not great but a consistent 25 goal/55 point two-way guy.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:25 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Ryan Callahan
Brooks Laich
Martin Hanzal
David Backes(absolute high end)

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:33 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
I don't mean to be a dick but that doesn't clear it up.

The Q isn't "primarily 16-19 year olds" as you said. It is primarily 17-19 year olds with a few 16 and 20 year olds.

It should also be noted that the 18-20 year olds play a lot more than the 16-17 year olds.

Of the top 14 leading scorers on Jaskin's team, their ages are:
20: 2
19: 6
18: 4
17: 1
16: 2

Prince Edward Island's top 5 scorers are all 19 and 20, including 2 d-men that Jaskin probably has to face.

Yeah Jaskin is on the older side but there are a lot of player's his age in the league and he is going up against a lot of those players.

I just don't want it to sound like Jaskin is facing 16-17 year olds. He is actually facing a lot of guys right around or at his age.

This is for the benefit of people who are unfamiliar with the QMJHL. I'm not calling you out or anything.

You are certainly right that Jaskin should probably be doing well and that if he were 17 that it'd be more impressive. However, I think he is doing so well that being impressed is warranted.
Why would you look at things based on who the leading scorers are?? Of course most of the leading scorers are going to be the older players and of course the older players are on average going to get more icetime too. That means nothing.

I don mean to be a dick either but I also point out what I point out so folks that aren't as knowledgable about Jr hockey thinks Jaskin is better than he is and he gets overhyped. Fans tend to overhype prospects quite a bit, especially ones that don't understand the intricacies of Canadian Major Jrs and/or why age is a big factor in the Jr game, thus why hiw old a player is when he accomplishes something in Jrs matters - because history says it's highly correlated.

Whatever though. It's somehow coming across that I'm down on Jaskin and that couldn't be farther from the truth. I was one of the few saying a year ago that he shouldn't be written off and that he looked quite a bit better when he played against his peers (WJC) and not against men while being stuck on the 4th line if a pro team. It's all about perspective and context. Just like we needed to keep the context of him playing in a pro league as a 17-18 yr old in mind and thus that would help explain his poor stats the last two seasons, we now need to keep in mind the context that he's a 19 yr old playing in a Jr league and not overhype him. That's it.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Why would you look at things based on who the leading scorers are?? Of course most of the leading scorers are going to be the older players and of course the older players are on average going to get more icetime too. That means nothing.

Whatever though. It's somehow coming across that I'm down on Jaskin and that couldn't be farther from the truth.
Why? Because it's a very key point. I'm kind of surprised you asked that.

As you said, the leading scorers are likely getting the majority of the ice time. The leading scorers are also overwhelmingly in 17-20 age range. Very few are 16 and the majority are 18-19.

Jaskin is playing a lot of minutes for Moncton and is going up against other team's better players. Other team's better players are more likely to be in the 18-19 age range than 16 or 17.

Whatever...there's no reasoning with a Jaskin hater.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:44 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

It's official, the lockout is getting to us.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
stlweir

Because this is Jaskin's first and only year in juniors it makes it more difficult to get a good read on him but at this point if his skating is NHL worthy then he is definitely a good prospect. I have only seen highlights so what do I know other than using his production.

Old
11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Ryan Callahan
Brooks Laich
Martin Hanzal
David Backes(absolute high end)
Considering those guys are mostly high defense centers, I was thinking more along the lines of Hartnell, Smyth, Malone, or Franzen in style.

Last edited by rumrokh: 11-15-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: derp, Cally's a right wing
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I definitely see the Franzen comparison. Big body, average speed, great balance, hard shot, and surprisingly good hands. I'd love to have a player like Franzen, especially if he never takes a night off...Which I haven't seen Jaskin do.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
stlweir

Jaskin with a goal and an assist after the first period. Finished with 1 goal and 3 assists.

Last edited by stlweir: 11-15-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Addition
Old
11-15-2012, 08:30 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Good showing for Blues' prospects tonight. Moncton thumped Rouyn Noranda 8-3. Jaskin had 1 goal and assisted on 3 others while Veilleux was named first star for his 5 point(2g,3a) effort!

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:33 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Considering those guys are all high defense centers, I was thinking more along the lines of Hartnell, Smyth, Malone, or Franzen in style.
IMO, he's a good compairison.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote