HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

vCash: 500
Kabanov's cast is off. http://twitter.com/kabby77/status/26...543489/photo/1

I cant imagine he'll be out much longer unless it is more serious than we thought

Old
11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Ouch that looks like it was pretty bad

Old
11-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Just saw the highlights from the last three games.

Some good stuff!

Nelson is looking some kind of slick.

Boy, has Gallant been busy with the fisticuffs. 3 fights alone against the Admirals.

And DeFazio has 5 goals now and there've been some good ones amongst them. He had 11 in 66 games last season.

So glad to see the boys having success.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Bunk Moreland

From Sundays win over the Whale:

Old
11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Ouch that looks like it was pretty bad
i think the scar is from the surgery...probably used the original cut to "prepare" for the surgery.

Just watched the game on ahl live and a good win for the kids. Nilsson didnt look solid. Nelson is on fire. Hammer still cant really live up to his role as a leader of the team, hope the goal helps. Nino continuing to get chances, good work by him. Really liked donovan in the last games, he is moving the puck efficiently. Persson also looked good.

What i cant get over is how many faceoffs nelson is winning. And he is winning most of them cleanly, not a chance for his opposite. Do you guys know where i could look up his FO stats?

Old
11-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
i think the scar is from the surgery...probably used the original cut to "prepare" for the surgery.

Just watched the game on ahl live and a good win for the kids. Nilsson didnt look solid. Nelson is on fire. Hammer still cant really live up to his role as a leader of the team, hope the goal helps. Nino continuing to get chances, good work by him. Really liked donovan in the last games, he is moving the puck efficiently. Persson also looked good.

What i cant get over is how many faceoffs nelson is winning. And he is winning most of them cleanly, not a chance for his opposite. Do you guys know where i could look up his FO stats?
I noticed that too about the draws. It seemed like every PP faceoff Brock would win cleanly. Mostly went up against Haley

Old
11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
That wrister seems to be Nelson's bread and butter.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:05 PM
luki here

News on niemi and cizikas?

Old
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
That wrister seems to be Nelson's bread and butter.
that wrister is dirty...

Im so pumped at the development of Brock Nelson I thought when we drafed him he would be at most a good 3rd line 2 way center.

Hes now looking like a legit top 6 center with a scoring touch. I love the way he looks out there, he looks so compose on the ice and his playing with lots of confidence.

I was never on board with the Stome to Tavares wing but Brock is looking like he can become our #2 center while Strome can be our Eberle andgive us that RHS winger with skill to play with Johnny.

Folks these are great problems to have...

On another note I have noticed that Hammer is not lighting up the score sheet.I did not expect him to be an offensive dynamo but his Plus/minus is nt great.
For those who have been watching how has Hammer looked?

Old
11-12-2012, 03:23 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
that wrister is dirty...

Im so pumped at the development of Brock Nelson I thought when we drafed him he would be at most a good 3rd line 2 way center.

Hes now looking like a legit top 6 center with a scoring touch. I love the way he looks out there, he looks so compose on the ice and his playing with lots of confidence.

I was never on board with the Stome to Tavares wing but Brock is looking like he can become our #2 center while Strome can be our Eberle andgive us that RHS winger with skill to play with Johnny.

Folks these are great problems to have...

On another note I have noticed that Hammer is not lighting up the score sheet.I did not expect him to be an offensive dynamo but his Plus/minus is nt great.
For those who have been watching how has Hammer looked?
He scored a goal last game I'm pretty sure. Considering he's our best NHL defenseman, I'm not worried about him.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Islanderfan17

Dat Nelson wrister

Glad to see us beat the Blueskirts farm team, it kills me to see Haley scoring goals on us though. Why did we let him go? He is the 4th liner that this team NEEDS, someone that can fight, hit and play when need be (Another Martin pretty much). I guarantee you he's going to get a call up for the Rags, stay up there and thrive under Tortorella. This team makes some of the easiest decisions the hardest ones, keeping Haley should have been a no brainer.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Dat Nelson wrister

Glad to see us beat the Blueskirts farm team, it kills me to see Haley scoring goals on us though. Why did we let him go? He is the 4th liner that this team NEEDS, someone that can fight, hit and play when need be (Another Martin pretty much). I guarantee you he's going to get a call up for the Rags, stay up there and thrive under Tortorella. This team makes some of the easiest decisions the hardest ones, keeping Haley should have been a no brainer.
Agreed, I'm a huge Haley fan. The only consolation would be watching a Ranger's game and seeing Haley beat up a Flyer, I enjoy that no matter who is beating them up. I will always remember Haley for beating up the Penguins, and a few weeks later the Isles destroyed the Rangers and Haley bloodied one of my most hated players ever, Sean Avery. Still have both games on my DVR.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
leaponover

I still don't buy into the Haley hype. The guy came up and played in a week where the Islanders had the most memorable games in years against the Pens and then parlayed that into a week where he fought and quickly became a fan favorite.

Take away that week and you have a guy that didn't make a big impact. It was easy for him to become a fan favorite and because of that he gets glorified here but as a player with the skill and role to fit on to an NHL team...nah he's sub par. The same fans that had the debate about what Matt Martin was worth in a trade and throwing out superstar names are the same ones who think Haley was a key piece. His absence will neither make or break the Isles. There have been better 4th line players that had decent impacts on the team that have been let go and they were far better than Haley. Tim Jackman is a regular in the Flames lineup and Aaron Asham contributed in all facets of the game as well. Those are 4th line players I want...not Michael Haley.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:08 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I still don't buy into the Haley hype. The guy came up and played in a week where the Islanders had the most memorable games in years against the Pens and then parlayed that into a week where he fought and quickly became a fan favorite.

Take away that week and you have a guy that didn't make a big impact. It was easy for him to become a fan favorite and because of that he gets glorified here but as a player with the skill and role to fit on to an NHL team...nah he's sub par. The same fans that had the debate about what Matt Martin was worth in a trade and throwing out superstar names are the same ones who think Haley was a key piece. His absence will neither make or break the Isles. There have been better 4th line players that had decent impacts on the team that have been let go and they were far better than Haley. Tim Jackman is a regular in the Flames lineup and Aaron Asham contributed in all facets of the game as well. Those are 4th line players I want...not Michael Haley.
While I can understand and respect your point, I don't think it's too far off of the mark to say that Haley *could have* become that kind of Jackman/Asham type and was never given a long enough look to do so.

Haley wasn't just a goon, he was a goon who could skate his butt off, could convert on a breakaway, throw a few good checks and not be such a blatant liability. The Isles signed Eric Boulton, who may have been able to help with vet presence, but will be basically doing the same thing Haley was doing at an advanced age with lesser upside. While I'll agree that the Haley love is hype to a degree, it was a justified hype, as was Konopka practicing with a "C" taped to his jersey - to a lesser degree, since all Konopka could do was win faceoffs and jape with the other team.

He's 26 years old and still likely has several years of hockey in front of him. He's no centerpiece of an organization, but he can serve a purpose as an agitator who doesn't take shifts off and can occasionally keep a defense pairing honest with his skating. That's the kind of player that can crack a line-up as a bottom 6'er and eventually grow into being just the sort of Jackman/Asham type of which you speak.

I'm not throwing things because we let him go, but there is a little more to him than just his antics in the "Mob Justice" game......during which he made an NHL goaltender and NHL defenseman look silly with a breakaway goal.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:54 PM
scott99

Haley definitely has more talent than just fisticuffs. As mentioned, his first NHL goal (in that Pittsburgh game) was a thing of beauty. Also, in the AHL, he is scoring 15 goals a year, in only 50+ games a year, obviously he's more that just a goon. He could be a fine 4th liner that could add 7-10 goals a year.

As far as Brock Nelson, I was really thrilled we traded up to get him. I knew a lot of people were saying, yeah he scored a lot during his draft year, but that was against high schoolers. Then he had an ok freshman year at North Dakota, but really exploded his sophomore season. Then he becomes pro, and gets shut out in his only 4 Pro games. Fast forward to this year, his rookie season of Pro Hockey, and once again, he shows after a short learning process, he's able to excel once again. It just seems, it doesn't matter what league he goes to, he figures out what it takes, and then excels. I think once Nelson fills out, he's gonna be a tough player to handle. I'm incredibly happy with his progress.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:08 PM
rikker

IMO, Haley = good 4th liner, on a good team. what's missing, in our armchair GM assessments, is evidence of his character (or, lack of).

did he party too much? did he only care about revenge? was he a team palyer? did he mess with Snow's wife/girlfriend/blonde-kissing-another-blonde-at-a-party's friend?

unfortunately, most of us will never know the 'story behind the story'. we just have to wait, and see how things turn out.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Nelson is looking even better than I imagined. I have never been so excited about a Isles prospect.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Seeing Haley in a Whale jersey is just so wrong and disgusting.

But Brock Nelson, what an animal This kid's on fire.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post

I liken Haley to a better version of Steve Webb. He's a fringe hockey player, teetering between the NHL and AHL, but he sparks the team when he's in the lineup.

All Webb needed to do was step onto the ice for 3 minutes a game and throw his body around to ignite the crowd. Once he put the fans into a frenzy, Yashin and Co. got the next shift and generated some scoring chances, if not actually score.

Kind of the same happened during Haley's short tenure. He beat the crap out out of someone, fans' bloodlust satisfied, team feeds off the crowd.

I'd say that's pretty effective.

Old
11-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Dat Nelson wrister

My guess is, Haley wanted a one way NHL deal and the Isles weren't going to give it to him. He got it from the Rangers.

While I did like him, it's not really that big of a loss.

Old
11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
News on niemi and cizikas?
Niemi went to the hospital from the game but X-rays came back negative so he was released and returned home with the team. No news from about Cizikas all Fornabaio said is he left with an undisclosed injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
My guess is, Haley wanted a one way NHL deal and the Isles weren't going to give it to him. He got it from the Rangers.

While I did like him, it's not really that big of a loss.
I agree, it really isn't and I know many of you absolutely love the guy but if that Penguins game never happened no one have even realized he was no longer with the organization. It does suck that he had to sign with the Rangers.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:40 PM
startainfection

i was at the game i don't remember seeing anything happen to cizikas, what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I agree, it really isn't and I know many of you absolutely love the guy but if that Penguins game never happened no one have even realized he was no longer with the organization. It does suck that he had to sign with the Rangers.
he did make avery's face bleed

Old
11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Yashin for President

Brock Nelson & Soundtigers

Went to Soundtigers game Sunday and finally got a chance to see Brock Nelson play live. I dont want to get too excited but the kid is an excellent player. He looks like he filled out a little too. So calm and has a sneaky shot. Slicker than I thought he was with the puck. Seems to work well on the powerplay, especially with Nino. I really see him joining the Isles at some point if the season ever gets started. Travis Hamonic is officially not a kid anymore. He looks like an absolute monster on the ice. Made some mistakes on the defensive end but made up for it on the powerplay with a howitzer one timer from Nelson. Donovan played well and is looking more and more reliable everytime I watch him play. Nino looked good too, I dont know what he is eating but the Isles do not lack in the size department. Nino is a beast! Cizikas is such a gamer. Tough as nails and isnt afraid of anyone. Excellent 2 way game with a nice set of hands. He threw some pretty big hits that made the Whale keep their heads up for the entire game. This guy is a coaches dream for sure. Reminds me of a tougher version of Peca. Last but not least Nilsson in nets. Im still amazed how much of the net he covers. He seemed outplayed at times but that was because he was out with an undisclosed injury and it was his 1st game back. By the 2nd period he was comfortable. I know its hard to get excited about anything these days but the Isles finally have some talent that could be difference makers in the future. There is absolutely no reason Jay Pandolfo or Marty Reasoner should be on the Isles ever again. Especially because they make the Isles such a crappy 4th line in NHL 13.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:25 AM
startainfection

i was at the game too and nelson is everything i was expecting(which is a lot) of him but nino and cizikas were kinda invisible, it was an awesome game though except i get the feeling that hamonic isn't completely into it like 10 percent of the time it looks like he just didn't care, i can't tell why

Old
11-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Yashin for President

Cizikas definitely wasnt invisible. He might have not scored any points but his game play was there. Nino didnt have the greatest game but he seems like he is building some chemistry with Nelson. Hamonic just seems like he has outgrown the AHL, thats all. Im sure he doesnt want to get hurt out there as well. I dont blame him. I know I sound excited but i have seen so many prospects come and go, this time it feels different. These guys can play.

Closed Thread