HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Top 25

Old
11-12-2012, 02:30 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
Top 25

I got around to putting up a top 25 article on my site. I don't count older players like Nash, Geoffrion or Palushaj. Same for guys on AHL contracts.

After Gally, I like the group of Collberg, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Tinordi, Gallagher, Kristo and Bennett, in whatever order you prefer, imo these are our top prospects. I was most impressed with Hudon and while he's undersized he's a real treat to watch so I likely have him higher then I should.

Top 25

1. Alex Galchenyuk
2. Sebastian Collberg
3. Nathan Beaulieu
4. Louis Leblanc
5. Jarred Tinordi
6. Brendan Gallagher
7. Danny Kristo
8. Mac Bennett
9. Patrick Holland
10. Charles Hudon
11. Dalton Thrower
12. Tim Bozon
13. MichaŽl Bournival
14. Morgan Ellis
15. Darren Dietz
16. Mark MacMillan
17. Brady Vail
18. Greg Pateryn
19. Olivier Archambault
20. Gabriel Dumont
21. Daniel Pribyl
22. Steve Quailer
23. Josiah Didier
24. Joonas Nattinen
25. Magnus Nygren

HM Colin Sullivan, Robert Mayer, Alain Berger, Dustin Walsh

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Shows how deep of a system we really have with guys like Pateryn and Vail at 17, 18, ect.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Top 5 looks a lot like mine. Nice list. I remember getting flak for placing Collberg at #2.

Only thing I'd think about changing in the top 5 is perhaps swapping Tinordi for Leblanc, but injuries and playing at a higher level than he should have been make me think I might be underestimating Louis.

As for the rest, interesting to see you put Hudon over Vail, and then Holland over Hudon. Holland has made me a believer and I'm a huge fan of Hudon.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards

Last edited by overlords: 11-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Et le But

I agree with that almost completely; I'm not sure Leblanc over Tinordi but it's hard to compare the two, I guess it's fair as a much more well rounded player Leblanc has a higher upside.

I'm also tempted to switch Hudon and Bozon, I'm very excited by Hudon but Bozon does have "safer" upside. Nice to see another person with Holland in the top 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Top 5 looks a lot like mine. Nice list. I remember getting flak for placing Collberg at #2.
Not sure why people mocked those of us who considered Collberg #2, I know people are in love with Tinordi's skill set but not counting Gally, only Beaulieu has the same league as Collberg when it comes to skill. Ignoring where he was drafted he's the only forward besides Galchenyuk with moderately safe top 6 upside and he has a high ceiling.

Last edited by Et le But: 11-12-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:04 PM
LePoche69

Very nice list. But I still can't believe that Tinordi is so high. The guy will never be more than a 5-6 d-man, and it's not even a given he'll reach that potential. I mean, Hall Gill has been better than him at almost every level he played.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:07 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Nice to see you having Bennett fairly high on your list, he's probably our most underrated prospect.. doesn't get talked about much around here due to having guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower etc but every time I've watched him I've been very impressed.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:08 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
Shows how deep of a system we really have with guys like Pateryn and Vail at 17, 18, ect.
I hear this all the time. Many have a chance to reach NHL but we aren't that deep unless they do.

My list:

Top 10

1. Alex Galchenyuk(1)
2. Louis Leblanc(4)
3. Jarred Tinordi(5)
4. Nathan Beaulieu(3)
5. Sebastian Collberg(2)
6. Brendan Gallagher(6)
7. Danny Kristo(7)
8. Patrick Holland(8)
9. Mac Bennett(9)
10. Hudon/Bozon/Thrower/Bournival/Ellis

I have no preference for #10.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:09 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Very nice list. But I still can't believe that Tinordi is so high. The guy will never be more than a 5-6 d-man, and it's not even a given he'll reach that potential. I mean, Hall Gill has been better than him at almost every level he played.
Hal Gill never even played in the OHL or USHL and he played 4 games in the AHL...? Your argument makes no sense.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Personally, I rated my own list on 2 criteria. Likelihood to reach potential and value to the organization. For instance, Gorges would've never made top 5 on anyone's list but he's much more important to us than most players. Tinordi is a guy that if all goes well can help us win games and adds another element to our team. This is also the logic I have with Leblanc, ranking him at #2. I feel he is more proven than his peers(in our prospect ranks) and is a very smart and work harding player. I think teams win with guys like this.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Tinordi is a far superior skater to Gill and has a mean streak........this translates into far more potential than Gill ever had.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Hal Gill never even played in the OHL or USHL and he played 4 games in the AHL...? Your argument makes no sense.
I was talking about comparable levels. Gill had more points in his College years than Tinordi had in 2 times the game played in the Junior. And Gill was more mobile when he was younger. He had multiple 20 points seasons in the NHL while Tinordi never had one in junior.

Tinordi will be a stricktly defensive d-man having hard time reaching 10 points a season, unless he learns to turn both ways better! Not enough for a winning team imo. To me, a guy like Bournival has way more chances of becoming a valuable third line center and having an impact than Tinordi has of becoming a #4 d-man. Therefore I consider that Tinordi doesn't have his place in a prospect top 10.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I was talking about comparable levels. Gill had more points in his College years than Tinordi had in 2 times the game played in the Junior. And Gill was more mobile when he was younger. He had multiple 20 points seasons in the NHL while Tinordi never had one in junior.

Tinordi will be a stricktly defensive d-man having hard time reaching 10 points a season, unless he learns to turn both ways better! Not enough for a winning team imo. To me, a guy like Bournival has way more chances of becoming a valuable third line center and having an impact than Tinordi has of becoming a #4 d-man. Therefore I consider that Tinordi doesn't have his place in a prospect top 10.
Some people like you will never appreciate the real value of a premium shutdown defenseman in the NHL.. Tinordi has been the best Dogs defenseman lately and he is about the only one who played at the Crunch level on the Dogs side last game.. Tinordi is improving greatly and you need that kind of defensive/physical minded force on your blueline.. More I see Tinordi play, more he is becoming one of my favorites..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:51 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
I haven't seen a lot of Vail yet, so I went more off what i've heard, he didn't really stand out when I saw him this year so far but I did think of putting him higher plus I was more impressed with Hudon and Bozon, so i didn't want to go even more overboard on the 2012 draft as I find it becomes easy to overrate the newest prospects since they are still shinny. I know that many were happy with the way 2012 went for the most part, but it's hard not to get excited to see what some of these kids are doing already at a young age. Granted we'll see as they have a long ways to go yet but it's an impressive start to what could be a strong draft class for us.

Pateryn I like but have some concerns about his skating/foot speed/mobility. I do think he'll see NHL ice at some point in the next couple years. It's too bad he got injured cause I think he will become a fan favorite for Hamilton as he knows how to use his size, he can really crush people from time to time. Will be interesting to see if Mac Bennett turns pro and signs with the Habs as they could perhaps be put together again which would be interesting to see as Bennett is better off with someone that's steady and physically strong.

Quote:

Only thing I'd think about changing in the top 5 is perhaps swapping Tinordi for Leblanc, but injuries and playing at a higher level than he should have been make me think I might be underestimating Louis.

As for the rest, interesting to see you put Hudon over Vail, and then Holland over Hudon. Holland has made me a believer and I'm a huge fan of Hudon.
Thanks. I think it's very close with Collberg, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher,Kristo and Bennett. It doens't really matter where they are ranked but imo they are all right up there for 2nd best prospect. Collberg impressed at the wjc's so if he has the high skill level I think he has, we might have a future 1st line winger, of course it will be interesting to see where he ends up playing next season.

I like Leblanc a lot even though I wish he would be quicker, and improve his lower body strength I still think he's going to be a very solid top 9 NHLer that in time will be effective at both ends of the ice. Tinordi could easily be ranked over him as they are neck and neck just bringing different things. Since I have concerns about Tinordi's lack of offense I put him lower for now.

As for Hudon over Vail, in the games I saw of each, I was so impressed with Hudon but Vail not as much. Over the season I should get a better feel, the 1st time ranking a new draft class is tougher since I have put less and less focus on watching NHL draft prospects, so I don't have a good feel unless they played on the same team as another Hab prospect. It could go either way as both are having breakout seasons, just that I was more impressed with the talent and drive of Hudon.

I am most impressed with Holland in Hamilton so far, as I knew little of him before the trade. I am concerned about his lack of strength but his passing game is very good, hopefully he can fill out a good bit over the next few years, should be interesting to see how he ends up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I agree with that almost completely; I'm not sure Leblanc over Tinordi but it's hard to compare the two, I guess it's fair as a much more well rounded player Leblanc has a higher upside.

I'm also tempted to switch Hudon and Bozon, I'm very excited by Hudon but Bozon does have "safer" upside. Nice to see another person with Holland in the top 10.
Tinordi could easily end up being better then Leblanc, so either way they are both expected to be big parts of our future. I fully admit I like Leblanc more then others although I do have some concerns, I equally have concerns about Tinordi so I went with Leblanc who I feel is a safe bet to make the NHL like Tinordi is but I think Leblanc still has high offensive upside.

I don't agree that Bozon has safer upside as Hudon doesn't seem to let his lack of size impact him greatly. I was impressed with what I saw from Bozon, as feared another Duncan Milroy but saw that he was going to the net hard and willing to get his nose dirty. But Hudon was more impressive as he was all over the ice, he was better in his own end then I was expecting, he's very smart and creative, plus he knows what to do with the puck. I think there's a lot to like about Hudon.

Quote:
I could see Tinordi never being more then a 5-6 but I could also see him easily being a very good 5th that excells on the PK and finally gives us someone that can clear the crease. I'm not as sold on Tinordi as others, but I still think he stands a very good shot of being at least a really solid bottom pairing phsyical stay at home type which we sorely could use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Nice to see you having Bennett fairly high on your list, he's probably our most underrated prospect.. doesn't get talked about much around here due to having guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower etc but every time I've watched him I've been very impressed.
I think I am the president of the Mac Bennett fan club. I have been saying around here since his USHL days that the Habs might have something very special in Bennett as he moves the puck well, loves to rush it up ice, has good offensive instincts, impressive mobility. He's a bit undersized (or was last year, haven't seen him yet but will this week) and he's prone to mistakes in his own end at times, imo his upside is very high although with a possible future logjam on defense, depending on how things play out with the number of impressive D prospects we have.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:46 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Wow, sure am loving that list. 5 more picks in the first 2 rounds in this deep draft sure will help some more. Can't wait to see these investments pay off

Last edited by ottawa*: 11-12-2012 at 06:15 PM.
ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Wow, sure am loving that list. 5 more picks in the first 2 rounds of this deep draft sure will help some more. Can't wait to see these investments pay off
Yup, this draft should really boost our prospect pool. Even more so if habs get another top pick.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Gill was more mobile when he was younger?

He was always very slow and never was half the skater that Tinordi is now

Old
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
On another note...am I the only one not convinced in Beaulieu? He's looked good for maybe half his games but the other half he makes me wonder if he'll reach his potential

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
On another note...am I the only one not convinced in Beaulieu? He's looked good for maybe half his games but the other half he makes me wonder if he'll reach his potential
The questions with Beaulieu are the same ones as when he was drafted. He doesn't play a cerebral game at all and is still very raw. Beaulieu is a compilation of impressive physical attributes but he still plays a junior level game.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:11 PM
NSi

About not being sold on Beaulieu, I think we've just been spoiled by Subban's development (at least for myself).

Generally, D-men take a longer time to mature. Bumps on the road are to be expected.

If we're still asking ourselves these questions at the end of next season, it'll be something else. Not everyone can turn pro and "get it" seamlessly.

He was kind of a project from day one, we should give hime time.

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:

Tinordi has arguably been Hamilton's most consistent defenceman.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:35 PM
NSi

Also, I love the "shook off the rust from missing almost an entire year" part of your article.

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Tinordi has arguably been Hamilton's most consistent defenceman.
Good to hear as I never get chance to see a Bulldogs game

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!

Good list. One thing I would have done differently is put Leblanc 2nd because he is more experienced and also a safe bet for the NHL.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:54 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Good to hear as I never get chance to see a Bulldogs game
Really? There have been some free internet streams lately.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Really? There have been some free internet streams lately.
Could prefer tv, except they always put it on a tape delay...

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote