HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
Barch sucks. It was stated Boulton may have been bought out cause he was upset he was sat in the playoffs. While he struck me as disappointed a little like when he was waived back in February, and wanting to prove he can play in the playoffs he said before the Detroit game, I didn't get cancerous vibes from him. Barch I do get those vibes from. Why the hell Lou signs these jokers is beyond me.

P3L buried in the minors, and traded away, Peters bought out, same fate for Boulton. When does he learn? When was the last decent goon we had? Jim Mckenzie 10 years ago? Peluso(I feel insulting even calling him a goon) back in the 90s? I still can't believe we bought out Boulton to sign Barch. I thought all along we bought out Boulton because he sucked, and the 4th line from the playoffs made him expendable?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:01 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He can't do anything about it while the lockout is still going, but once it is over, it wouldn't surprise me if he and Lou had a talk about his social media footprint.
I think if (when?) this lockout is over, Lou is going to shove his "social media footprint" up Barch's ass so far he'll be tasting leather for a month.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I think if(when?) this lockout is over, Lou is going to shove his "social media footprint" up Barch's ass so far he'll be tasting leather for a month.
What purpose does he serve anyway with Cam on the roster? We saw last year in the playoffs that we don't NEED goons in the lineup every night. Someone said it might have been Lou's reaction to the Rangers goon fest on July 1st when they really didn't sign anyone worth mentioning, but loaded up on goons like Asham, and Haley.

I actually hated Asham, but he was able to chip in on some offense once in a while. Look at Barch's two goals from last year. One was a total softy scored on Hedberg that if Marty gave up we wouldn't have heard the end of it until a few games later. I hate that POS Mike Rupp, but I'd take him over the rest of the crop of goons we've had in the last 10 years.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
which is dumb because there are so many contracts out there like that
Yep, and yet the Devils are the only team to get punished for it. Bush league **** right there.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
xdl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Barch sucks. It was stated Boulton may have been bought out cause he was upset he was sat in the playoffs. While he struck me as disappointed a little like when he was waived back in February, and wanting to prove he can play in the playoffs he said before the Detroit game, I didn't get cancerous vibes from him. Barch I do get those vibes from. Why the hell Lou signs these jokers is beyond me.

P3L buried in the minors, and traded away, Peters bought out, same fate for Boulton. When does he learn? When was the last decent goon we had? Jim Mckenzie 10 years ago? Peluso(I feel insulting even calling him a goon) back in the 90s? I still can't believe we bought out Boulton to sign Barch. I thought all along we bought out Boulton because he sucked, and the 4th line from the playoffs made him expendable?

There are enough meaningless regular season games where you need warm bodies, and to escape games without getting everyone killed. It's not a big deal if Barch plays three shifts and Kovalchuk doubles to fill it up for 20 games. I'm not sure why everyone flips out over it - we know it's going to happen, it does happen, and then in the end, it didn't matter because they play 30 games and get replaced by a real player at the deadline and ride pine for 4 months.

xdl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
There are enough meaningless regular season games where you need warm bodies, and to escape games without getting everyone killed. It's not a big deal if Barch plays three shifts and Kovalchuk doubles to fill it up for 20 games. I'm not sure why everyone flips out over it - we know it's going to happen, it does happen, and then in the end, it didn't matter because they play 30 games and get replaced by a real player at the deadline and ride pine for 4 months.
I'm sure double shifting Kovy going forward is NOT a good idea. Not to say just a shift or two, but him getting 5+ extra minutes of ice time a night. I would almost bet all that extra time did not help him out when he became the way he did in the playoffs, and was a non factor in the SCF, because he looked to be in a lot of pain, and not even 50 percent sometimes. I don't know why we can't double shift other people too, and spread the minutes out.

Also I'm not sure if we'll see the goons for only 30 games. That's what was said last year when Boulton, and Janssen were both brought in. We said the same thing, and there was about 5 games late in the season where neither played. I have a bad feeling one of CBGB is moved to the 3rd line, or they become the 3rd line while Josefson, and Tedenby get stuck playing with Barch or Janssen most nights.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

I think the double-shifting of Kovy is what led to him being run-down and half-the-player he was in the Playoffs/Finals.

Pete has to do a better job in managing his Minutes. A Healthy/More energetic Kovy in the Finals may have tipped the scales in the Devils favor.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I think the double-shifting of Kovy is what led to him being run-down and half-the-player he was in the Playoffs/Finals.

Pete has to do a better job in managing his Minutes. A Healthy/More energetic Kovy in the Finals may have tipped the scales in the Devils favor.
I think so too. I mean okay Elias is older, so I understand why he won't double shift him. How about Zubrus depending on how many minutes he's getting? Maybe Clarkson? Anybody else? Spread it out some.

25 minutes per game for Kovy is the new 76 games a year for Marty. He's dominating the KHL with only a little over 17 minutes per game.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Nick0930

8 minutes less over an 82 game season is like 10 full games less. It would make a huge difference.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM
xdl1

Quote:
I'm sure double shifting Kovy going forward is NOT a good idea. Not to say just a shift or two, but him getting 5+ extra minutes of ice time a night. I would almost bet all that extra time did not help him out when he became the way he did in the playoffs, and was a non factor in the SCF, because he looked to be in a lot of pain, and not even 50 percent sometimes. I don't know why we can't double shift other people too, and spread the minutes out.

Also I'm not sure if we'll see the goons for only 30 games. That's what was said last year when Boulton, and Janssen were both brought in. We said the same thing, and there was about 5 games late in the season where neither played. I have a bad feeling one of CBGB is moved to the 3rd line, or they become the 3rd line while Josefson, and Tedenby get stuck playing with Barch or Janssen most nights.
I wasn't trying to bring the Kovalchuk up as a separate debate - I actually agree with you that he shouldn't. Pete likes his best players to play a lot, and that's pretty much the reality.

My point was mostly that the goons will play, and I probably was a little facetious in saying they will get 30 games, since Boulton and Janssen got around 50. I think it will be slightly less than last year, but still a large number. I just don't think in the end that the goons have much impact in the long run, and that they are there to eat minutes and keep Clarkson and Salvador out of fights. You won't see them down the stretch regardless.

xdl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
I wasn't trying to bring the Kovalchuk up as a separate debate - I actually agree with you that he shouldn't. Pete likes his best players to play a lot, and that's pretty much the reality.

My point was mostly that the goons will play, and I probably was a little facetious in saying they will get 30 games, since Boulton and Janssen got around 50. I think it will be slightly less than last year, but still a large number. I just don't think in the end that the goons have much impact in the long run, and that they are there to eat minutes and keep Clarkson and Salvador out of fights. You won't see them down the stretch regardless.
With losing a lot of scoring I think it's better to roll 4 good lines if CBGB can keep it up. Not to mention the goons couldn't score, and also gave up a lot of goals too by stupid play. I don't see why if everybody's healthy we have to play the goons against EVERY team. Even a team with no goons. I also don't understand why Janssen has to be up over skill players. He's on a two way contract.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
25 minutes per game for Kovy is the new 76 games a year for Marty.
lol that's a good comparison. I remember having knock-down drag out fights with Trottier earlier in the season about the INSANE time Kovy was getting (it was even thirty minutes early in the season...no coincidence he wound up on the shelf for two weeks after getting 30+ in three games during a two-week span), with him saying it's never bad to play your horses and me saying it's a long season and you can't play games in November like it's a deciding playoff game. If you have to play games in November that way you're not good enough to do anything in the playoffs anyway.

And I've been arguing against 75 games for Marty for years and voila, the first full season he comes in significantly under that he has his best playoff run since 2003. Even the year he got hurt he was pretty good against the Canes till Game 7, he was facing 40+ shots a game the last four games of the series though so eventually it was going to take a toll.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol that's a good comparison. I remember having knock-down drag out fights with Trottier earlier in the season about the INSANE time Kovy was getting (it was even thirty minutes early in the season...no coincidence he wound up on the shelf for two weeks after getting 30+ in three games during a two-week span), with him saying it's never bad to play your horses and me saying it's a long season and you can't play games in November like it's a deciding playoff game. If you have to play games in November that way you're not good enough to do anything in the playoffs anyway.

And I've been arguing against 75 games for Marty for years and voila, the first full season he comes in significantly under that he has his best playoff run since 2003. Even the year he got hurt he was pretty good against the Canes till Game 7, he was facing 40+ shots a game the last four games of the series though so eventually it was going to take a toll.
Yeah completely agreed. If Marty played 75 games this year he might have had better regular season stats. No way he plays that good though for another 25. Not at his age now. The young Marty could handle it. He usually starts looking tired by March, but this year he was playing his best in March. He was probably the only reason we made the playoffs at all in 07, and 08. Though he didn't look so hot those years in the playoffs. Especially against the Rangers in 08.

Kovy the same thing. No one knows how he got that injury. Wear, and tear? Or a hit somewhere into the boards? I can imagine though that extra 5 minutes adds up. Two minutes on a PP if we didn't score, many times a full two minutes on a PK.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:

Exactly. No need to wear him out during meaningless games in the regular season. Better to have that reserve left in the tank for the playoffs.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

That's why we need competent players. Every player, and line we had in the playoffs for the most part was competent. Aside from the extremely worn out 25% Kovy.

Janssen cannot eclipse the 5 minute mark without doing something stupid most games. Boulton could not exceed the 4 minute mark without something stupid. If we have to double shift, then we gotta double shift some more guys.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ We should bring up Matteau and throw him into the fire to see how he does.

Unlike his old man where I'd like to throw him into a real fire but I digress.....

Old
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
^ We should bring up Matteau and throw him into the fire to see how he does.

Unlike his old man where I'd like to throw him into a real fire but I digress.....
LOL! Lou still insists on having all these goons. I can see having two in the organization in case one is injured, but I don't understand why Janssen got a two way if he's never even gonna go to Albany anyway. If he had gotten a one way I probably wouldn't even be as mad. He may as well have a one way. I mean frickin Peter Harrold got a one way, but Janssen got a two way, though with a raise!

I'm also sad Sykie who gave an interview that was basically a plea for the Devils to re sign him was not re signed. Janssen was before July 1st, and Sykie who can bring scoring which is what we need now, was not. I'm sure he would have played for what we paid Barch to play for a year too.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
njdevil26

Maybe we'll lose the whole season due to lockout and Barch can just get bought out for his second year like was going to happen anyway.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
I'm also sad Sykie who gave an interview that was basically a plea for the Devils to re sign him was not re signed. Janssen was before July 1st, and Sykie who can bring scoring which is what we need now, was not. I'm sure he would have played for what we paid Barch to play for a year too.
The thing is, until the Lockout is over(if it is), Lou can't do any "signing" at all.

Can he?

Old
11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
The thing is, until the Lockout is over(if it is), Lou can't do any "signing" at all.

Can he?
Nope, but he could have signed him in the Summer?

Old
11-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Maybe we'll lose the whole season due to lockout and Barch can just get bought out for his second year like was going to happen anyway.
And then Lou can sign another useless goon to a two year deal, hopefully one who doesn't run his mouth this time.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
And then Lou can sign another useless goon to a two year deal, hopefully one who doesn't run his mouth this time.
Lou just recently got over his 4 or 5 stone handed d men approach....hopefully the goon one is next

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

If Lou finally was able to get over his ''We need a defensive system, and a defensive minded coach, that gives first line forward minutes to shutdown guys'' approach, even if the system was flawed, and incompetent(Cough cough cough cough Julien cough cough cough) I hope one of these days before he hangs em up he can get over the goon fetish.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I don't think DeBoer is over it either. He definitely likes to have some size and toughness in the bottom 6, even at the expense of some skill.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
I don't think DeBoer is over it either. He definitely likes to have some size and toughness in the bottom 6, even at the expense of some skill.
I think if we're playing goons every night like last year, it's probably because it's all we have. Deboer wouldn't play them anymore once Josefson, and Zajac were both healthy at the same time. For the very brief week that happened this season. Only way he'll play the goons every night I think is if we only have forward spot open, and can't carry another(Not including Harrold) because of the 8 D men. Including Harrold.

Deboer would not have them in the playoffs at all. He even called up Sestito over them. I figured if he really wanted them around he could have at least played Janssen for one game who was on our roster, over Sestito who did not end the season on our roster.