HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 12/5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
E-Train

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Watched a couple of archived games of his. Looks fantastic. His skating is a lot better, he makes better decisions, and he seems to just think the game at a higher level than he used to. And he's still a bad mother****er when it comes to fighting and hitting. Looking more and more like he has some real NHL potential.
Very impressive. It looks like he's having a hard time getting any takers in the fighting dept. only 1 scrap on the season so far. He was so nasty at 17 no one wants to risk it now.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
Very impressive. It looks like he's having a hard time getting any takers in the fighting dept. only 1 scrap on the season so far. He was so nasty at 17 no one wants to risk it now.
I really hope he can beat the **** out of Matteau sooner or later. Dirty, dirty, dirty player.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:51 AM
NYR Viper

Noreau was a solid pick at the time with real upside. He has always kept his game simple and with his size and reach he is underrated on these boards. And then, on top of all of that, he is a devastating fighter who can intimidate? Sold.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:04 PM
NYR Viper

Interesting feedback on the prospects board about Noreau from someone who sees him play:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
He's a big ,6'5" 225lbs, stay at home defenceman. He is very physical and likes to take the body and punish his opponents. Theres a definate toughness to his game and he's willing to stick up for his teammates and is considered the heavy weight of the QMJHL. Samuel keeps his play simple and eficient. He makes good , safe decisions when defending and that's partly to do with his great hockey IQ. Noreau makes a good first pass and posseses a powerful slapshot. Offensively , he isn't expected to bring much , however he does have 15 points in his first 20 games with Baie Comeau this season. He's getting PK time , being rotated on the #1 unit and #2 unit. He's play high while defending and forces the play of opposing player. Although a powerful slapshot, he wrist shot is weaker and accuracy for both isn't the greatest. For a big frame, he's an okay skater but would certainly need to continue to improve his foot speed to make the jump to pro. He seldom pinches, which is good for his game. This is where his foot speed gets exposed as he has a hard time recovering. Overall he's a solid defenceman in the Q. His stay at home style is well suited for his hulking frame. I think his upside would be a #6-#7 NHL dman or downside(most likely) top 4 AHLer.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Interesting feedback on the prospects board about Noreau from someone who sees him play:
Seems right to be, maybe a 6-7 NHL dman, but more likely a solid top 4 in the AHL. Player gets a few points and some guys all of a sudden think the kids an elite prospect, crazy.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon1990 View Post
Seems right to be, maybe a 6-7 NHL dman, but more likely a solid top 4 in the AHL. Player gets a few points and some guys all of a sudden think the kids an elite prospect, crazy.
Who said he was an elite prospect?

Old
11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Who said he was an elite prospect?
The way someone is talking about him, you would have me fooled. Good to get reports from guys who watch him though on nightly bases on not just highlights or the score sheet.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:28 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

He looked solid and unspectacular at Traverse City last year.

The nice thing about Noreau is his desire to improve and will to get better. If he can work on his skating and decision making, he just might make it to the NHL.

Old
11-13-2012, 06:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Stats in post one have been updated.

It's just pain.
Old
11-13-2012, 06:51 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Kinda crazy that we only have 4 kids playing in the CHL.

11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
NYR Viper

Noreau won't set the world on fire but look around the league. Players like him are few and far between. John Erskine. Matt Carkner. Stu Bickel. Tough guys who keep the game simple and are willing to go through a wall for their teammates are good guys to have around for a long season. I loved the pick.

However I also loved the Randy McNaught pick the year before

Old
11-13-2012, 07:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Noreau won't set the world on fire but look around the league. Players like him are few and far between. John Erskine. Matt Carkner. Stu Bickel. Tough guys who keep the game simple and are willing to go through a wall for their teammates are good guys to have around for a long season. I loved the pick.

McNaught could have been a player for us if not for his terrible ankle injury. He was always average at best on his feet, but that really killed him. He just couldn't keep up at the professional level after the surgery.

He's out of hockey now, which is a shame. By all accounts he was a good guy. Too bad.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:02 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
McNaught could have been a player for us if not for his terrible ankle injury. He was always average at best on his feet, but that really killed him. He just couldn't keep up at the professional level after the surgery.

He's out of hockey now, which is a shame. By all accounts he was a good guy. Too bad.
I know many people feel that the roles these "tough" guys fill are inconsequential but I truly believe that they are a necessity and they build great team chemistry. The players have to know they have someone who will have their back.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Piodale

Story about Thomas Spelling on the website of the Danish TV channel holding the rights to broadcast NHL games:

19 year old Thomas Spelling has adjusted well to life in Rögle and now hopes to get a real shot at the Elitserie-team soon.

Spelling was named Rookie of the Year in the Danish league in 2011 and drafted by the Rangers in 2012, so there were big expectations after his transfer to the newly promoted Elitserie club Rögle in Sweden before this season.

He had hopes about doing everything possible in Elitserien, but so far he has only been on the bench (edit: probably meaning getting picked for matches, but not seeing any ice time) twice, so it has been a tough transition.

"I feel like I have adjusted well to life in Sweden after spending some time getting used to it - and my game is getting better at the U20 team", says Spelling, who is up to 8 goals and 20 points in 17 matches, making him the second leading scorer on his team.

"I have begun to relax more and I hope I can transfer that mindset when I hopefully get back into the Elitserie-squad", Spelling continues.

Earlier this season he hoped to be loaned out to a smaller club in (2nd tier league) Allsvenskan, but those plans have been scratched. Among other reasons because two other forwards have been loaned out.

"Our GM says that those two other guys going out on loan have brought me closer to the team, and he estimates that I have a really good chance of making the team some time early in 2013", Spelling says and emphasises: "It has really motivated me, so I just want to go out and give it my all to show that I have the quality to be used in Elitserien".

In a previous interview Spelling said that he didnt feel he had good communication with Rögles Elitserie-coach Dan Tangnes, men that situation has changed now as well:

"Its working a lot better now. We are having more conversations than during the beginning of my stay here. Perhpas I also had some difficulites coming to him if I needed to talk earlier on this season, so its nice that this is back on track".

Link to story in Danish: http://tv2sport.dk/spelling-godt-paa-vej-i-det-svenske

Old
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
E-Train

Having McIlrath on the 2nd pair and Noreau on the 3rd means Hank is not getting touched without someone paying a big price. It's great that a 5th rounder is developing like this. Too bad about McNaught, he could still fight, would've been useful in CT/Greenville.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
Having McIlrath on the 2nd pair and Noreau on the 3rd means Hank is not getting touched without someone paying a big price. It's great that a 5th rounder is developing like this. Too bad about McNaught, he could still fight, would've been useful in CT/Greenville.
There is also Jason Wilson who us fans rarely hear anything about. He seems like a tough kid but a longshot I suppose. Any upside??? Maybe Eric Boulton Chris Thorburn???

Old
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Ola

Quote:

Good point.

I kind of like McIlrath, while I think there is a risk for him to bust hard, the impact he could have is probably higher than what I expect that many envisions (IE I think he could become a real diffrence make in terms of a attitude for his team, like say Lucic for Boston).

But Noreau in a way is much better designed for a safe stay at home 6th D role on the typical team. With Torts playing-sloppy-hockey-to-a-perfection-style our D's must be pretty good on their skates, Noreau could be held back some though. Its not easy to have a meaningful gap-controll when the puck is flying all over the place.

But he can play a real simple stay at home type of defensive hockey.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
There is also Jason Wilson who us fans rarely hear anything about. He seems like a tough kid but a longshot I suppose. Any upside??? Maybe Eric Boulton Chris Thorburn???
I wish. When he was drafted I was hoping for a tougher version of Dale Weise. I don't think he has the upside in him unfortunately.

Old
11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Reminder that St. Croix will be playing in the WHL vs. Russia game tonight at 10 on NHL Network.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
Reminder that St. Croix will be playing in the WHL vs. Russia game tonight at 10 on NHL Network.
I've got the NHL Network on and there's no WHL/Russia game on as far as I'm seeing...

???

Old
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I've got the NHL Network on and there's no WHL/Russia game on as far as I'm seeing...

???
I had the same problem but it eventually switched over for me.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
I had the same problem but it eventually switched over for me.
Yup, I'm receiving it now too... Thanks.

Old
11-15-2012, 06:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Sammy Noreau had a goal and an assist last night. He now has 17 points in 21 games. For reference, last year he had 17 points in 58 games. He's also a plus 11. Great, great season for him so far. Keep it up, kid.

Old
11-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Fogarty vs Nieves tomorrow night on CBS Sports Network at 7 EST

Old
11-15-2012, 07:28 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Fogarty vs Nieves tomorrow night on CBS Sports Network at 7 EST
They also play tonight. Not sure if that is on TV.

Closed Thread